Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 14:07   #496
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using the component out that comes with the Big TV STB? Does that work well? Is there a difference between the component out and the normal video out??
Old 18th September 2008, 14:16   #497
BHPian

I don't think there is anymore need to go gaga over big-tv because of the price factor.

Tata sky has come out with an advt in today's newspaper saying Grand festive offer:

Tata sky digicomp + installation + 1 year of subscription for Rs 2699/- only. The subscription is for south starter pack worth rs175/- pm.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:21   #498
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I don't think there is anymore need to go gaga over big-tv because of the price factor.

Tata sky has come out with an advt in today's newspaper saying Grand festive offer:

Tata sky digicomp + installation + 1 year of subscription for Rs 2699/- only. The subscription is for south starter pack worth rs175/- pm.
Kindly check what are the channels included in the south starter pack from TATASKY website and then compare with what BIG TV is offering at Rs 500/- less
Old 18th September 2008, 16:32   #499
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Kindly check what are the channels included in the south starter pack from TATASKY website and then compare with what BIG TV is offering at Rs 500/- less
Big Tv offer many more channels compared to Tata Sky, I feel it is due to MPEG 4 used by Big Tv (more channels can be compressed on same transponder) vs Tata sky's MPEG 2
Old 18th September 2008, 16:38   #500
Senior - BHPian

Guys i also saw a article that BigTV is planning to sell the DVR's by next month. The price range is like 7K to 9K.
Also, anyone know if we can switch between operators? Anything possible without changing the unit? Any option to use different smart card and activate other operator
Old 18th September 2008, 17:12   #501
BHPian

It seems that the hottest thing with DTH operators this festive season will be the DVR. TataSky are also planning to bring their product within a mater of weeks!
Old 18th September 2008, 18:19   #502
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Guys i also saw a article that BigTV is planning to sell the DVR's by next month. The price range is like 7K to 9K.
Also, anyone know if we can switch between operators? Anything possible without changing the unit? Any option to use different smart card and activate other operator
As per TRAI, it is mandatory, but in reality it will not work as the technology itself is different MPEG4 (big TV, Sun direct) vs MPEG2 (Tatasky, dish tv) unless both offers sort of conversion in the set top box which is unlikey unless TRAI pulls them up
Old 18th September 2008, 19:31   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Anyone using the component out that comes with the Big TV STB? Does that work well? Is there a difference between the component out and the normal video out??
I first used composite then switched to component. There is quite a leap in sharpness. But for some channels, there is not much improvement. Probably it all depends on quality of broadcasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post

for 175/- starter pack, you get nothing in terms of channels. Where as big is offering almost all popular channels for 500 Rs less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Guess its same as CDMA phones in India. Operator locked. But according to TRAI it is mandatory to offer interoperability.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:43   #504
Senior - BHPian

Updates on BigTV. I keep calling them atleast 3 times a day to hear "It will be done ASAP."

The guy on phone today told that there was many complaints and so a special team from Mumbai reached Bangalore to complete the installation asap.

Wish this was true and the guys who are waiting will get benifited
Old 19th September 2008, 12:09   #505
BHPian

It could be very much true. I got calls from three different installers. second one while first was still installing. third one a day after. where were these guys all this time!!!!!
Old 19th September 2008, 12:47   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
It could be very much true. I got calls from three different installers. second one while first was still installing. third one a day after. where were these guys all this time!!!!!
I wish those "extra" guys move to Bangy for supporting this team here
Old 19th September 2008, 12:51   #507
BHPian

What is DVR? Can someone please shed som,e light on this. Is this like a recorder?
Old 19th September 2008, 13:01   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
What is DVR? Can someone please shed som,e light on this. Is this like a recorder?
Yes. Digital Video Recorder.

This should help.
Digital video recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19th September 2008, 17:16   #509
BHPian

My friend took BIG TV set top box yesterday and he was told that it will take 10 days for installation. But, today they came and installed it. Upon asking, he was told that additional people were pressed into service for installation. That's very quick.
Old 19th September 2008, 17:29   #510
Senior - BHPian

Big TV Big WOrry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
My friend took BIG TV set top box yesterday and he was told that it will take 10 days for installation. But, today they came and installed it. Upon asking, he was told that additional people were pressed into service for installation. That's very quick.
Lucky Guy. While I am typing this, I hold the call to CC in my phone. That guy talked and put me on hold. Its been 22min now, no response

Guys, did anyone noticed the Bigtv feedback site? Yesturday I tried to complaint and after typing everything,m it always said ERROR and never posted.

Today I try and this is what I get
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-clipboard01.jpg

Last edited by mjothi : 19th September 2008 at 17:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks