Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 19:10   #661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
My guess is, the PVR when it records, saves the data in MPEG-4 format as it has high compression ratio which takes less space to store which leads to store more content. And plays back MPEG-4 when you play the recorded content. But downstream is still MPEG-2! Does that makes sense?
That could well be a possibility - although the tech gurus need to jump in here to tell us if that is plausible.
Old 31st October 2008, 19:14   #662
Senior - BHPian

from January of this year, I am on SUN DIRECT DTH. it caters well to the needs of south indian people. they got almost all malayalam channels there.also, sun direct is the first to have mpeg4 technology in their dth unlike the common notion big dth is!
with sun direct, you *may* miss sports channels mostly. I will give a 7/10 for their service. sun dth is actually here to compete with cable service providers like asianet, hathway etc .so opentv software for "active" services are missing still in sun direct. I read opentv software will be released on november acc. to distributor.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:00   #663
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone compared the various DTH services' quality of audio and video outputs on an LCD or plasma TV? I know all of these are much better than normal cable, but couldn't find any posts comparing the DTH outputs (please point me to it if it exists).
I currently use DishTV, and the quality is decent, without being awesome. Have seen Tata Sky, and it's similar to Dish.
How about the new kids on the block? Airtel & BIG? Are they better, quality-wise? And has anyone sampled Tata Sky+ ?
Old 1st November 2008, 09:55   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks, the installation seemed to have happened in a jiffy. I checked their website, its damn confusing and i have a strong suspicion all the DTH companies are the same in terms of charging on the channels, there is no such thing as free channel now
Yes, BigTV website is confusing. On their main page, click on any of the 'Entry Offers' links. Also, visit Reliance Comm and checkout the offers.
Quote:
I just wanted to confirm one thing, in the 1 year free package, are all the channels listed below by you is available?
Yes. I am getting those channels.
Old 1st November 2008, 10:21   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Has anyone compared the various DTH services' quality of audio and video outputs on an LCD or plasma TV? I know all of these are much better than normal cable, but couldn't find any posts comparing the DTH outputs (please point me to it if it exists).
I currently use DishTV, and the quality is decent, without being awesome. Have seen Tata Sky, and it's similar to Dish.
How about the new kids on the block? Airtel & BIG? Are they better, quality-wise? And has anyone sampled Tata Sky+ ?
Hmm honestly, LCD/PLASMA are good on DTH if they are of low resolution, that means low upscaling. The onboard processors of LCD/PLASMA arent powerfull enough to handle the upscaling correctly (slight exception Sony).

Hence if you are going to use DTH/DVD player as your primary source, stay away from FHD (Full HD).

~Lt
Old 1st November 2008, 12:49   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes. I am getting those channels.
Thats great, as someone was saying Reliance will slowly remove some channels out of that list in 3 months and some more after 6 months etc.

So you sure they promised "ALL" channels will remain available for the entire year?
Old 3rd November 2008, 01:21   #667
Senior - BHPian

I heard from a 'source' that Tata Sky is definitely moving to Mpeg4 platform 'very very soon' (as in within 60days) - a move driven by necessity more than competition - they needed the new compression technology to add more channels to their bouquet. The launch of Tata Sky + is also a step in this direction (it records in Mpeg4).

Apparently all the existing customers will get a new set top box - which will also have a component out. This source claimed this swap out is going to be free for existing customers, however we'll all have to see how that cookie crumbles!

Based on my research it does seem like Tata Sky offers the best combination of features/customer service/convenience at the moment.

Last edited by kb100 : 3rd November 2008 at 01:23.
Old 3rd November 2008, 07:09   #668
Senior - BHPian

A query: my airtel set top box has a USB port. But nothing about that is mentioned in the manual. What can I do with the port? Can I plug in a pen drive?
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:32   #669
BHPian

[quote=kb100;1037872]
Apparently all the existing customers will get a new set top box - which will also have a component out. This source claimed this swap out is going to be free for existing customers, however we'll all have to see how that cookie crumbles!

quote]
Has to be free, because older STBs would become unusable if they move to mpeg4. And they woud definitely not want to lose most of their existing customers!
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:52   #670
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
A query: my airtel set top box has a USB port. But nothing about that is mentioned in the manual. What can I do with the port? Can I plug in a pen drive?
Yeah, you can plug in very well but don't expect anything else..
Old 4th November 2008, 03:29   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a bigtv connection for the past 6 months.... I need to get another STB for my 2nd tv so i called the customer care service to find out packages for 2 connections and they said i would get no benefit.
I thought all DTH companies lure customers to take the 2nd connection by giving discounts on the monthly pack.
Does anyone know if Bigtv has this offer too?

Also if I don't get any discounts i rather get a different service on my 2nd tv, how is the airtel dth service in picture quality as compared to bigtv?
Old 4th November 2008, 12:29   #672
BHPian

i have a query. i have a friend who just picked up a tv from the states. that was without checking what tv systems are supported. this lcd only has ntsc format. he picked up an airtel dth. but we see everything in black and white. we are at our wits end as to what to do. today we will find out if it is possible to upscale the video and still use it. samsung the manufacturer says that the entire driver onwards the tv needs to be changed. any ideas or is this a waste to us now. it works fine when connected to a PC in HDMI MODE via a DVI to HDMI converter.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:49   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have a bigtv connection for the past 6 months.... I need to get another STB for my 2nd tv so i called the customer care service to find out packages for 2 connections and they said i would get no benefit.
I thought all DTH companies lure customers to take the 2nd connection by giving discounts on the monthly pack.
Does anyone know if Bigtv has this offer too?

Also if I don't get any discounts i rather get a different service on my 2nd tv, how is the airtel dth service in picture quality as compared to bigtv?

Well their website says you can. Except I am struggling to make sense out of the whole thing.

Here you go - Multiple TVs

Last edited by kb100 : 4th November 2008 at 12:50.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:31   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Well their website says you can. Except I am struggling to make sense out of the whole thing.

Here you go - Multiple TVs
I had read that earlier. But the customer care exec told me that it's valid only if you buy 2 STBs together, not one after the other.

Makes no sense to me either
Old 4th November 2008, 14:24   #675
Senior - BHPian

After comparing everything in the market, I have decided to go with Tata Sky. I find their customer satisfaction levels to be the highest - and I just don't trust Reliance and hate Airtel (from personal experience).

I plan to go for their free installation offer along with their MEGA PACK @5k. This gives me all channels - present and future- for a year! With their migration to Mpeg4 on the anvil, a lot more channels are likely to get added !! (and will be free for the Mega Pack users)

Total cost 6.5k.

Will slap the PVR onto this whenever its launched here in Cbe. (they are giving a 5k discount on the PVR price for all those who are on the Mega Pack - so pretty much will pay for itself)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks