Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 11:10   #796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Whats about the outputs from Tata Sky + heard its got component output and these output performs better then normal co axials inputs.
well ajay are you sure.........we have been using tata sky for the last 3 years or so and we have the composites (1 for video + 2 for audio) and not components (3 for video + 2 for audio). Components are slightly better than composites IMHO so quality should be slightly better.

Why do the DTH providers come up with HDMI output also - useful for those with a high end LCD or plasma. Atleast a connection slot can be there in the STB.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:24   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I have recently ordered a Tata Sky+. As there is a larger MDU dis installed at my apartment complex, i had asked them if they can waive off the installation charges. As usual the guy that handled the call said that is not possible; he also went on to add that the Sky+ dish is different from the one used for the regular Sky.

Now when the local dealer came up for installation he said that there is no difference and he suggested that i hook up to the larger dish installed already. (He also didn't handover the dish, which the TataSky mentioned as will be given to me regardless of i install it or not, and which dish i hook up to)

Anyway, coming back to the core issue, when i called up the helpline, i got to know that the dish is the same for Sky & Sky+, but the feedhorn is different (LNBF1 as opposed to LNBF2). Now the feedhorn is nothing but the torch like thing which you find in the middle which actually collects the signal.

Does it really make a difference on which dish i hook up to??

Though Sky+ is MPEG4 enabled, current the telecast is on MPEG2 only. Not sure if the different in feedhorn is meant for future MPEG4 telecasts?

Any idea/advice from the forum members??
The TataSky+ dish is different. It is a little larger in diameter than the regular one. And yes the feedhorn (LNB) is different - with two outputs. That is needed to record two channels simultaneously or view one while recording another.
For best functionality I'd suggest install the TS+ dish, if you can. The MDU signal is usually much weaker than a direct signal from your own dish.
TS+ only records in MPEG4. The signal remains MPEG2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Whats about the outputs from Tata Sky + heard its got component output and these output performs better then normal co axials inputs.
please read: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1098858-post755.html

Last edited by StarScream : 26th February 2009 at 16:26.
Old 26th February 2009, 20:06   #798
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
well ajay are you sure.........we have been using tata sky for the last 3 years or so and we have the composites (1 for video + 2 for audio) and not components (3 for video + 2 for audio). Components are slightly better than composites IMHO so quality should be slightly better.

Why do the DTH providers come up with HDMI output also - useful for those with a high end LCD or plasma. Atleast a connection slot can be there in the STB.
Which DTH provides HDMI output??
Old 26th February 2009, 22:07   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

NONE at the moment!
Old 26th February 2009, 22:45   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
NONE at the moment!
Doesnt this negative the whole purpose of a LCD TV. I have a 40 inch Full HD LCD TV but due to the co-axials of my Tata Sky STB, the quality is ok but can be much better if it had a HDMI.
I just wish that they come out with HDMI o/p for normal STB's.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:58   #801
Senior - BHPian

Suggest me one out of the lot - Sun direct/Tata Sky/Airtel & others

How much it costs?

My requirement - Just viewing and even cable quality would do for me

I prefer to have the following channels -

Sports/Animal planet, NG, Discovery etc/all south channels like Sun/Vijay/JayaTV/news channels. Please suggest me a good package

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Just dumped Dish & got myself Airtel. Airtel seems to be the best among the present. The few airspace channels bundled are a bonus. Looking forward to good times.
Due to Airtel's wrong billing on their broadband and cell phone services, couple of my friends have suffered a lot. Also heard many people crib about the bad experience with Airtel due to wrong billing model. Hence I always hesitate to go with Airtel.

But here its only the monthly fixed subscription services and Airtel is one among my yet to be filtered list.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:43   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Doesnt this negative the whole purpose of a LCD TV. I have a 40 inch Full HD LCD TV but due to the co-axials of my Tata Sky STB, the quality is ok but can be much better if it had a HDMI.
I just wish that they come out with HDMI o/p for normal STB's.
It does if you bought the LCD TV to watch DTH programming.

You're focussing on the wrong thing with HDMI. An HDMI cable will not dramatically improve picture quality if the signal source is inadequate - as is the case with all DTH services. What you need to fully enjoy your TV is an HD signal and Im afraid that is still some time away. Maybe Airtel's IPTV is better...

Buy a blu-ray player if you really want to see what your TV can do.
Old 27th February 2009, 16:29   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Suggest me one out of the lot - Sun direct/Tata Sky/Airtel & others

How much it costs?

My requirement - Just viewing and even cable quality would do for me

I prefer to have the following channels -

Sports/Animal planet, NG, Discovery etc/all south channels like Sun/Vijay/JayaTV/news channels. Please suggest me a good package

Due to Airtel's wrong billing on their broadband and cell phone services, couple of my friends have suffered a lot. Also heard many people crib about the bad experience with Airtel due to wrong billing model. Hence I always hesitate to go with Airtel.

But here its only the monthly fixed subscription services and Airtel is one among my yet to be filtered list.
well i was undecided between Tata sky and Airtel till yesterday - went to a dealer who housed both with my requirements. The airtel box costs Rs1750 + Rs 0 for installation + charges for monthly access packages. The packages would have worked out to be fairly expensive with all channels comign in for Rs 450 + several other top ups required for certain channels. On a side note they did have a 3500 (6 months subscription free) & 2500 (3 months free) for a platinum ultra pack including the STB though a lot of channels would have been missing.

Tata on the other hand had a base package of 275 for most channels (90+) + 45 (22 channels like colours etc) + 40 (ten sports + star sports + espn). Worked out to be 375 for a monthl subscription with 1500 Rs STB + Rs 500 installation charges. Service was excellant - the STB was bought at 4pm from a dealership, installed by the same night. And repeated calls from their CC representative to check everythign was workign according to plan.

On a side note - any DTH does not do wonder to a plasma or a LCD. The picture looks faded on my panasonic 42 plasma while the Ps3 looks awesome.

Plus the question of recharging + customer care + cost = overall tata sky wins the race though i have heard (heard not seen) that airtel DTH has slightly better signal quality than Tata. but my previous bad experience with Airtel (i was their so called privileged customer yet they levied 2 months rental charges when i shifted out of delhi even though i had asked the cc to cancel my account and even after all dues were paid out. They even sent a letter warnig be of legal action provided i did not pay up - wonder after using airtel post paid for 3.5 years) - i went for tata
Old 27th February 2009, 21:44   #804
Senior - BHPian

guys, is it possible to get tamil daily, news etc channels in bangalore? previously there was some ban if I remember correctly.
Old 28th February 2009, 07:49   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
well i was undecided between Tata sky and Airtel till yesterday - went to a dealer who housed both with my requirements. The airtel box costs Rs1750 + Rs 0 for installation + charges for monthly access packages. The packages would have worked out to be fairly expensive with all channels comign in for Rs 450 + several other top ups required for certain channels. On a side note they did have a 3500 (6 months subscription free) & 2500 (3 months free) for a platinum ultra pack including the STB though a lot of channels would have been missing.

Tata on the other hand had a base package of 275 for most channels (90+) + 45 (22 channels like colours etc) + 40 (ten sports + star sports + espn). Worked out to be 375 for a monthl subscription with 1500 Rs STB + Rs 500 installation charges. Service was excellant - the STB was bought at 4pm from a dealership, installed by the same night. And repeated calls from their CC representative to check everythign was workign according to plan.

On a side note - any DTH does not do wonder to a plasma or a LCD. The picture looks faded on my panasonic 42 plasma while the Ps3 looks awesome.

Plus the question of recharging + customer care + cost = overall tata sky wins the race though i have heard (heard not seen) that airtel DTH has slightly better signal quality than Tata. but my previous bad experience with Airtel (i was their so called privileged customer yet they levied 2 months rental charges when i shifted out of delhi even though i had asked the cc to cancel my account and even after all dues were paid out. They even sent a letter warnig be of legal action provided i did not pay up - wonder after using airtel post paid for 3.5 years) - i went for tata
I am happy with the TATA people except for the rainy days! It simply does not work

Wonder how do BIG TV (Reliance ADAG), Airtel and Dish TV (ZEE) fare on this aspect?
Old 28th February 2009, 15:57   #806
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
I am happy with the TATA people except for the rainy days! It simply does not work

Wonder how do BIG TV (Reliance ADAG), Airtel and Dish TV (ZEE) fare on this aspect?
If you think TataSky doesn't work when it rains, you should check the Dish TV. It doesn't work even when it drizzles or for that matter when it is windy

Leaving Airtel, Tata Sky is the best among the lot (haven't experienced Airtel so can't comment on it)
Old 28th February 2009, 17:16   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post

The small dishes may look nice but there is a tradeoff. Get a bigger dish and a 0.1dB LNB and things will improve.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:58   #808
BHPian

well the Tata Sky installer team had a lot of difficulty to get the dish fixed and get proper reception as i reside on the first floor of my apartment and though I have a huge balcony - reception is blacked out apparently because of other high rises nearby. While eventually they did manage to get proper reception and set up the connection - the team did mention that Airtel DTH has somehow slightly (only slightly as they mentioned) better AV quality over TS and DishTV and the others but the service is pathetic in comparision to the rest. Only Big TV was worse apparently. Plus they also mentione that Airtel DTH dish can be set vertically (unlike with a slant as in the case of TS) to get proper signals and would be a boon for people who recide on lower floors and cannot get proper reception due to high rises around.

Can anyone using Airtel DTH confirm this?
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:24   #809
Senior - BHPian

I can say that the quality of signals from Airtel has been good so far. It has been about 4 months since I have gone for that. But, I do not have any comparisons with any other DTH. Also, since I reside in my independent house, I can not say for sure about the fact that it can be set vertically for better signal reception.
Old 8th April 2009, 19:01   #810
BHPian

HD services is starting beaming to India and it is from Sun Direct

Most Viewed