Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 13:49   #991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Discovery/NGC HD channels itself will be worth the price. Question is, even if these so-called HD channels will be broadcasting 100% of their content in HD?
how about ads ? will they be in HD too ?

2 channels is too less on tatasky, I wanted to buy, but will wait for some more channels to come, Kites movie on HD is definitely not one of the reasons to buy !
Old 17th June 2010, 15:29   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
how about ads ? will they be in HD too ?
No Idea, SirJee! That is what I also want to know;-}
Old 17th June 2010, 16:17   #993
BHPian

i wonder whether these HD STBs will have optical/coaxial audio output or only HDMI. Because if its only HDMI then i will not get 5.1 discrete channels because my a/v receiver does not support audio decoding through HDMI interface. It only decodes through optical/coaxial inputs. I dont want to be in a situation where i get HD video (my LCD will take care of it as its full HD) but pseudo surround.
Can anyone clarify on this???
Old 18th June 2010, 12:46   #994
Senior - BHPian

^same here. my onkyo has pass-thru audio with hdmi.
also, with one more hdmi source added, i run out of simultaneous hdmi inputs - same situation for optical inputs. need to think about it.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:05   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
i wonder whether these HD STBs will have optical/coaxial audio output or only HDMI. Because if its only HDMI then i will not get 5.1 discrete channels because my a/v receiver does not support audio decoding through HDMI interface. It only decodes through optical/coaxial inputs. I dont want to be in a situation where i get HD video (my LCD will take care of it as its full HD) but pseudo surround.
Can anyone clarify on this???
As far as i'm aware any HD device will have an optical or coaxial output apart from HDMI

My Onkyo HTS 3200 has 3 HDMI inputs
Old 18th June 2010, 18:06   #996
BHPian

Hatari even my onkyo has 3 HDMI inputs but they are just pass thru. They will transmit the audio signal untouched and you wont get any discrete sound through your speakers. At best it will convert the HDMI audio signal to DD PLII output through your speakers. But through the optical or co-axial we can at least get dedicated surround but at a slight compressed rate to what uncompressed HDMI audio offers. I just hope the STB has digital output for such connectivity.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:00   #997
Senior - BHPian

^Exactly,

My Onkyo 5105 has got 3 HDMI and 2 Optical inputs, I shall move my Xbox to component and that will get me one HDMI and one Optical available for this new STB. I'm hoping it has a seperate optical for digital sound.
Old 19th June 2010, 16:30   #998
Senior - BHPian

I saw a post on hifivision where someone has posted a few pictures of new TS STB comes with TS HD service.
That one doesnt have Optical out. It has got coax for audio out and that is what we have to live with if we are planning to go for it and using an AV receiver with HDMI pass-thru.
Old 19th June 2010, 17:36   #999
Senior - BHPian

I am quite sure that Tata Sky HD STB has optical out.

I have Sun-HD and it has optical out. I connected my Onkyo HT-S590 to STB through optical cable and got 5.1 audio.

Now, I have upgraded my HT to HT-S5300 and now I get 5.1 through HDMI cable no need of optical cable.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:07   #1000
Senior - BHPian

^You can have a look at the pictures of the STB yourself. I cant find optical out on the STB though. I wish it was there.
Coax should be good enough for 5.1 sound out.
Tata sky hd

I have got HT-R518, I can live with HDMI+Coax for now, I dont have to upgrade for now
Old 19th June 2010, 19:51   #1001
BHPian

Guys, I am unable to get the HD STB in chennai! i called up almost all TATA Sky STB providers! but none of them are aware of HD being launched! Anyone from chennai who has got the HD STB?
Old 19th June 2010, 20:21   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Guys, I am unable to get the HD STB in chennai! i called up almost all TATA Sky STB providers! but none of them are aware of HD being launched! Anyone from chennai who has got the HD STB?
Man, Relax..they have just announced this 2 days back...not even Tata Sky customer care was aware of details when I called them 2 days back. Give them a week at least for details to percolate.

All the providers are running a race against each other and announce this HD thing..so that existing/new customers dont jump ship.
Old 19th June 2010, 20:26   #1003
BHPian

Even Tata Sky+ STB has optical out and composite video out. So the HD boxes must be having at optical out...does not make sense receiving 5.1 audio signal and having only stereo out.
Old 20th June 2010, 06:12   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Sanjay, coaxial cablecan carry digital audio. per mg understanding it will be able to carry 5.1 channel audio.
Old 20th June 2010, 13:07   #1005
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Man, Relax..they have just announced this 2 days back...not even Tata Sky customer care was aware of details when I called them 2 days back. Give them a week at least for details to percolate.

All the providers are running a race against each other and announce this HD thing..so that existing/new customers dont jump ship.
Very few boxes have been given to shops. The shops mentioned that they would be getting more boxes next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks