Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 16:18   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Noticed from their web, TAta Sky HD has got 2 channels listed in the HD i.e
Discovery channel and National geography channel and cost is Rs.30per month (HD Gold Pack), This is in addition to the regular package which one has already selected.
i.e if we select South saver pack at Rs.260/pm (this package is without any sports channel?) and for HD channel need to pay another Rs.30/-pm.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:01   #1082
Senior - BHPian

After staying with my cable-wallah and his set top box for a long time now, i finally moved to Airtel HD. Paid on the web and installation happed the next day. Quality is very good due to the HDMI i/p - even for SD channels. The box gives two options 720p or 1080i for HD transmission. I haven't really bothered NGC as it wasn't my cup of tea. If my daughter gets HD on any cartoon channels or i get it for sports channels i would gladly pay for HD channels.

Pros:
1. Apparently channel switch time - which was a problem in non HD version of airtel, is not as slow. Its not very fast either
2. Good picture quality, even for SD channels
3. Excellent support - very prompt and can use airtel phone to make easy toll-free calls (5 digit #)
4. Activating a channel (you aren't subscribed to) you want is a snap - a call to the IVR and viola! the new channel's up in 2-3 minutes.

Cons:
1. Universal remote offered is technically not a universal remote. It works only with TV and has limited functions. Still good as i keep the TV remote away and use it for special needs only. I am still to check if my "proper* UR works with the STB (didn't use to work with the cable guy's STB).
2. The sound is not split into the Home Theater receiver (even with an SPDIF) - i need to check with the call center, a bit too lazy about it now.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 27th July 2010 at 09:04.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:00   #1083
Senior - BHPian

What to do with existing connection?

I am moving to a new apartment which has common dish for Airtel and TataSky and everyone has to choose b/w one of the two.
Now, I have this dishTV connection and I am not sure what to do with it. I checked with some TataSky and Airtel dealers but none of them do an exchange.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:16   #1084
Senior - BHPian

You could simply keep it for future use or give it to a relative or friend and they could use it either in or out of Bangalore. The connection would remain in your name and they would be pay for the usage.
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:31   #1085
BHPian

Could someone please shed a light on how good the Sun DTH in terms of picture and Sound quality compared to other DTH services ? I'm considering SUN because it gives wide range of Telugu channels which no else gives.
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:27   #1086
BHPian

I have been using Airtel HD since last 2 months. The content in Nat Geo HD is not that great. Nat geo in standard definition has better programs. I think its better people wait before falling into the HD trap.
Hardly any HD movies either.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:45   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Airtel DTH HD has been offering DD Sports HD from yesterday. Watched the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony in HD and loved it

Are other DTH providers also offering DD Sports in HD?

Last edited by addyhemmige : 4th October 2010 at 11:53.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:02   #1088
BHPian

I can confirm that TATA sky is offering DD in HD. I too was seeing the commonwealth games opening ceremony in HD.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:13   #1089
BHPian

I have a 40inches sony lcd and routing my airtel stb output through a yamaha receiver to the tv(both ends hdmi). the display at the tv startup says its 1080i. NGC HD quality is very hard to differentiate from some other normal channels. Has anyone else have this feeling? Is there something else I need to check/set to get a better quality?
Old 4th October 2010, 14:42   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
I can confirm that TATA sky is offering DD in HD. I too was seeing the commonwealth games opening ceremony in HD.
Yes, I have seen message in inbox. Tata Sky channel no. 402, DD sport HD. I am not sure about others!
Old 4th October 2010, 15:11   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Recently Tata Sky has moved a couple of channels to the Music sections. The channels such as Zoom, E24, 9X are now in the music section. Dont know what prompted the change?

Any one notice this. Is this a means of making way for some channels.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:23   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Recently Tata Sky has moved a couple of channels to the Music sections. The channels such as Zoom, E24, 9X are now in the music section. Dont know what prompted the change?

Any one notice this. Is this a means of making way for some channels.
Yes i did notice this a couple of days back. I was tempted to call them and ask the reason. May be to make room for more channels or have a difference packaging strategy! Also would you know if the USB provision will be enabled sometime soon? I have been chasing them however they keep saying it will come!!
Old 4th October 2010, 15:26   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Yes, I have seen message in inbox. Tata Sky channel no. 402, DD sport HD. I am not sure about others!
Just wondering if a regular tatasky+ subscriber can get access to this DD HD channel. I tried however i was not able to. wonder why?
Old 4th October 2010, 15:32   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Just wondering if a regular tatasky+ subscriber can get access to this DD HD channel. I tried however i was not able to. wonder why?
Nope. The HD channels are available only if you have the HD set top box.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:33   #1095
Senior - BHPian

is tata sky HD available in non metro cities?

Tata Sky HD - High Definition Channels & HD Services.
Quote:
When will Tata Sky HD be available in other locations?

The HD digicomps will be made available shortly.
it also says that no exchange offer is available.

what should i do, buy SD or wait for HD?

note: it will be for my PC.
(dual 22" lcd + pixel-view playtv4 internal card.)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2112509-post36.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks