Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 21:32   #1456
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Just semi-finalized Videocon. 2 months platinum plan free in Rs. 1500. Any positive/negative comments on Videocon ?
Old 1st May 2011, 21:53   #1457
BHPian

Further reviewing, I've found that Tata Sky plans meet my needs better. How has your experience been with Tata Sky ?

@Mods : Could you please merge the last three posts ? I was well outside the EDIT time window when I re-posted.
Old 4th May 2011, 18:00   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Airtel digital TV launches 3D HD video recorder

Quote:
Indian DTH operator Airtel digital TV has launched 3D ready High Definition Video Recorder (HD Recorder). Airtel digital TV's HD Recorder offers features of automatic favourites, search and genre and category sort and is 3D ready. Airtel digital TV's HD Recorder features up to 550 hours of storage capacity, three disk management modes namely automatic, warning and manual, time based, series recording feature, advanced search, multiple viewing and recording options, and lock and parental control facility. The Airtel digital TV HD Recorder also allows for pause, record, rewind of live TV. The Airtel digital TV HD Recorder comes with a HDMI port for video output and a HDMI Cable free along with the Digital Dolby Plus 7.1 feature. For activating the mobile recording feature, customers with Java enabled, GPRS handsets can send an SMS 'mguide' to a special number, from any of their four registered mobile numbers. On downloading the mobile recording application, customers can use their customer ID and password to log in and record shows. For recording shows over the internet, customers can use the same to login to their Self Care account. The Airtel digital TV HD Recorder will be available for existing customers at INR 3990 and INR 4490 for new customers.
Interesting feature to enable recording scheduling over your phone. The only thing left is the Star HD package, hopefully within next week.

Source
Old 4th May 2011, 18:28   #1459
BHPian

Re: Airtel digital TV launches 3D HD video recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Interesting feature to enable recording scheduling over your phone. The only thing left is the Star HD package, hopefully within next week.

Source
Has anyone tried using the recording vis SMS thing. Can some one please elaborate how it works? After installing the application on your phone how do you select which show to record? And after switching the TV will the show be recorded already or do we have to perform some more operations?
Old 4th May 2011, 18:31   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Re: Airtel digital TV launches 3D HD video recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Has anyone tried using the recording vis SMS thing. Can some one please elaborate how it works? After installing the application on your phone how do you select which show to record? And after switching the TV will the show be recorded already or do we have to perform some more operations?
Have used Tata Sky's system online.
works fine
Old 4th May 2011, 19:02   #1461
BHPian

I have downloaded the TS application on my mobile. I can see the schedules and also schedule a recording of any program i may miss. Works like a charm!
Old 18th May 2011, 13:06   #1462
BHPian

Has any one tried this?

9,OOO TV Channels for a 0ne-Time Prlce
TV for PC - Laptop - Mobile or PDA - Watch TV on Computer

or is anyone using similar one?
Old 19th May 2011, 12:00   #1463
Senior - BHPian

I dont now if this would be right thread but DTH led me to it therefore I wanted to post about the Universal Remote, which is not new to most of us but a very useful device.

With the addition of TV+STB+HT, you have to manage 3 remotes which is cumbersome, enters Universal Remote.

The need for this was felt when I was olanning to add a HD Dish connection, so now I will have to manage 2 remote but then usually you will adjust inly the volume oand ON/OFF in the TV, rest is taken care by the STB remote. One remote only for that, what can be done.

Airtel was giving a Universal remote (5 programmable features from TV) which sufficed and was the decision maker for me for for Airtel Digital TV.

I was happy with it till enters the Home Theatre. Initially I tried to manage with the HDMI-CEC to control the devices but if all your devices are not from the same manufacturer its erratic.

Now enters the 5-in-1 Universal Remote, controls TV, STB, DVD, AMP and VCR.

Quick search and you have ones starting from 199 to 3-4000Rs. Its not a perfomance device therefore I wanted sometime practical and reasonably priced. Rs 199 ones are pre-coded with various models and no learning feature, didnt want to experiment with it.

My search finally led to ProTouch, Made in India, they had 4-in-1 or 5-in-1 models, price ranging from 899-599 Rs with learning feature.

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-protouch.jpg

Till I stumbled upon the same model UR501L for 499 (list price 899). First couldnt believe and checked with the vendor if the pictures are for depiction only or will I get the same model. He confirmed in positive, "We deliver what we list". Placed the order same day and got it the very next day.

Configuration was easy, they have codes listed under each model, enter those in a sequence(described in manual) and check with the power button, if it works, all others functions will work too. If not you can use the search or learn mode and assign any keys to specific functions as in the original remote.

The best part is I can override the default buttons with my choice. for eg. in the STB mode the volume control by default changes the volume of the STB, which is not required. I made it to learn to control the TV volume even if I am under STB mode.

I am quite satisfied with and is a value deal overall + One remote controls all devices. The original remotes are also saved from the wear and tear over timeand replacement costs.
dadu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 10:45   #1464
BHPian

Todays Bangalore TOI has the Reliance Digital TV add for all channels in HD, 250.
Interesting is is shows 1080p and digital sound. It does not mention 7.1 or 5.1.
Does anyone have more info on this. Would TS also go this way.
Old 20th May 2011, 10:55   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
I

My search finally led to ProTouch, Made in India, they had 4-in-1 or 5-in-1 models, price ranging from 899-599 Rs with learning feature.

Till I stumbled upon the same model UR501L for 499 (list price 899). First couldnt believe and checked with the vendor if the pictures are for depiction only or will I get the same model. He confirmed in positive, "We deliver what we list". Placed the order same day and got it the very next day.

Configuration was easy, they have codes listed under each model, enter those in a sequence(described in manual) and check with the power button, if it works, all others functions will work too. If not you can use the search or learn mode and assign any keys to specific functions as in the original remote.

The best part is I can override the default buttons with my choice. for eg. in the STB mode the volume control by default changes the volume of the STB, which is not required. I made it to learn to control the TV volume even if I am under STB mode.

I am quite satisfied with and is a value deal overall + One remote controls all devices. The original remotes are also saved from the wear and tear over timeand replacement costs.
Dadu, this is a very useful information.I have been struggling with multiple remotes too. Can you help to confirm where you bought this remote for Rs.499? From your message I see you ordered online. The places I checked did not list the price below Rs.649
Old 20th May 2011, 11:02   #1466
BHPian

Even I am interested Dadu. As of now I have to shuffle between 3 remotes TV, STB and 5.1
Funny part is, after some time I tend to forget using which remote I did the Mute. Had to try all 3. LOL
Provide the link from where you purchased.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:17   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Dadu, this is a very useful information.I have been struggling with multiple remotes too. Can you help to confirm where you bought this remote for Rs.499? From your message I see you ordered online. The places I checked did not list the price below Rs.649
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Even I am interested Dadu. As of now I have to shuffle between 3 remotes TV, STB and 5.1
Funny part is, after some time I tend to forget using which remote I did the Mute. Had to try all 3. LOL
Provide the link from where you purchased.
You can use this listing which is active for 4 days or look under the seller Info roshniinfotech, later. Once the Invoice came, I realised that he was a distributor for this.

You also might find that some unique keys on your original remote are not directly mapped, but you can always use the non-used ones in the universal remote to learn those.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 12:25   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
You can use this listing which is active for 4 days or look under the seller Info roshniinfotech, later. Once the Invoice came, I realised that he was a distributor for this.

You also might find that some unique keys on your original remote are not directly mapped, but you can always use the non-used ones in the universal remote to learn those.
dadu, Thank you so much. Just ordered it online.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:35   #1469
BANNED

@dadu - I was actually opening the Home Theatre thread to post this question. Just the STB, TV and dvd player, and we were ruing that we had only 2 hands!!!

BTW, Asianet (cable, in KL) is nowadays showing that they are launching HDTV shortly. Anybody uses HDTV over cable?

My hardly 4 month old digital STB is now giving humming sound. Mute the STB and the humming continues. Mute on the TV or switch off the STB and it goes. So, some problem with the STB?

This was not present when we got it (the STB). Any comments?
Old 20th May 2011, 14:49   #1470
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

any ideas on todays TOI ad for Reliance BIG TV - which speaks about 250 channels HD-like quality? Is this proper HD across 250 channels or only something similar to real HD. What is meant by HD-like exactly?

This is one of the things that I dislike about the Reliance company - they mislead the public quite a bit in the tone and manner of their advertising.

Most Viewed