Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:37   #361
BHPian

well partly the reason for bad reception (dishtv) at my native was the cable and the dish mounting is not that secure. wind can upset the orientation. i returned, and they replced the cable and positioned the dish ( still you get only 60 to 70% signal strength).. Heard its got better.
Are the new dishtv's having larger dia dishes?
Old 25th August 2008, 11:03   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
@SumitB,
How's the performance of Tata Sky during rains? If i am not wrong, it rains worse than Mumbai there in north east. Here at Mumbai, I am experiencing lots of interruptions during rains in my Tata Sky.
Hence am waiting for Reliance's IPTV to be launched. Would then go for the DVR model, with true video on demand and so many more features that are not possible on DTH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
surprisingly this monsoon there have been very very few interruptions due to rain.
Actually I did have a LOT of interruptions during the monsoons this time, as compared to VERY FEW last year. I called Tata Sky service engineers twice to get the problem rectified. The first guy could not set it right. However, the second guy detected that the interruption was more because of cellular tower installed recently near my terrace. So he fixed a more powerful transponder in my dish and now the signal is perfect.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:22   #363
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the Ads in today's TOI for Reliance's Big TV from ADAG - Rs.1990 for the setup / Free Installation / 12 months' free subscription / MPEG-4 Technology... Apparently the offers are valid for AP / TN / Kerala / Karnataka and Pondi only.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:47   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Just saw the Ads in today's TOI for Reliance's Big TV from ADAG - Rs.1990 for the setup / Free Installation / 12 months' free subscription / MPEG-4 Technology... Apparently the offers are valid for AP / TN / Kerala / Karnataka and Pondi only.
Is this MPEG4 or whatever better than Tata Sky's existing offering.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:30   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Is this MPEG4 or whatever better than Tata Sky's existing offering.
I have no clue what Tech Tata Sky is using. The best way to make your buying decision is to watch both at work on the same TV!
Old 25th August 2008, 13:35   #366
Senior - BHPian

TSky and Dish use MPEG2 compression. All things equal MPEG4 will give you better quality. But that may not be the case here as MPEG4 may just allow Reliance to pack more channels into the same bandwidth. As Phoenix said the best way to make a decision is to compare the two like-to-like.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:38   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The rest of India offer is Rs. 1,490 with three months free subscripton and Rs.1,000 for installation.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:53   #368
Senior - BHPian

Got BIG TV Installed yesterday !

I got installed BIG TV from Reliance installed yesterday in my home. I got fed up with cable operators and most of channels of my choice were not coming clear. Infact current offer in South India by BIG TV is good as we compare our cable bills atleast for first one year.

I purchased set top box on friday itself and they came and installed yesterday night.

Total price of Set Top Box along with 1 year subscription is Rs. 2190.

There are two offers going on for south India, first is Rs. 1990 offer in which they will not provide 3 sports channel. In Rs. 2190 offer they will provide

3 sports channel (ESPN, Star Sports, Ten Sports)
100+ normal channels
10 Radio channels
32 Movie channels (Free for first 3 months)

All in all, I see it is nice offer and above all it is MPEG 4 technology, in which in future it can carry more than 200 channels.

However, yesterday I did not see in detail because I had to go out for some work, today I will see and post report on BIG TV.

The one of the major con for BIG TV is its logo in screen. It displays big logo on left upper side of screen in addition to channel logo, which I feel is annoying and creates disturbance for match scores etc.

-- Rest in the evening
Old 25th August 2008, 14:21   #369
Senior - BHPian

congratulations Anuj - will await your report
Old 25th August 2008, 14:48   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
anujmishra : The one of the major con for BIG TV is its logo in screen. It displays big logo on left upper side of screen in addition to channel logo, ...
Can you post a pic of that logo intrusion ?

Would like to know the picture clarity.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:02   #371
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Anuj. Where did you buy it from? I think I am lazy. I sent mails to them and so far no news :(
I need some more details from you. Check your PM, please.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:24   #372
BHPian

What happened to the HD channels? I dont want to end up changing the STB once HD channels are out. Any idea when that would be launched?
Old 25th August 2008, 15:37   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can you post a pic of that logo intrusion ?

Would like to know the picture clarity.
I will post one in the evening. I am in office right now. Clarity no doubt is great (Not HD type but true DVD quality). Voice quality is also good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Congrats Anuj. Where did you buy it from? I think I am lazy. I sent mails to them and so far no news :(
I need some more details from you. Check your PM, please.
There are few addresses in Bangalore from where you can personally collect Set Top Box, Voucher, Smart Card, Get Starter Kit. Right now they do not have service to install directly at home (May be they come up with soon).
All Reliance Webworld Store (ADAG Reliance) selling above items. You can get address of Reliance Webworld address in Reliance Communication website. Big TV website today is very slow. You can find there too.

One good thing is that Set top box has USB support as well. I have not inquired much about USB but will experiment/find out in the evening today and will let you all know, what is this USB port actually for.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:40   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
There are few addresses in Bangalore from where you can personally collect Set Top Box, Voucher, Smart Card, Get Starter Kit. Right now they do not have service to install directly at home (May be they come up with soon).
All Reliance Webworld Store (ADAG Reliance) selling above items. You can get address of Reliance Webworld address in Reliance Communication website. Big TV website today is very slow. You can find there too.

Thanks Anuj. I will check today and update. Do let us know about the picture quality and reception etc.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:43   #375
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sky also has its logo at the bottom right corner. But the size is pretty small, and it does not cause any intrusions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks