Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 12:24   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Maybe, but there must be some catch to it. They wont give you all the features that the 60GB version has, since it'l eat into the high end version's sales.

Shan2nu

I am planning to buy during 1st week Nov from US? What is adviced?
Old 8th October 2007, 12:27   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Maybe, but there must be some catch to it. They wont give you all the features that the 60GB version has, since it'l eat into the high end version's sales.

Shan2nu
I dont think theyl do that. They already have the 60 adn 80 gb versions with identical features. The only thing that wasnt there in the previous 30gb version is wifi and they discontinued it due to low demand. And this isnt speculation, If you look at the gaming indians forums, someoen has put up scans of the bestbuy forms proving the existence of the 40gb version.
Old 8th October 2007, 12:29   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am planning to buy during 1st week Nov from US? What is adviced?
the 40gb version should surely be out by then. If you need the extra space get the 60 or 80 gb versions or else just get the 40gb version which IMO should be enough.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:01   #154
BHPian

here's the catch the 60gb in india or europe supports most ps2 games using hardware backward compatibility chip.

The 80gb which i picked up in US does software emulation for ps2 games and hence all of the ps2 games dont work. The 80gb also has some chips consolidated into single ICs and hence has fewer heating issues.
Now if you are buying in US, you anyway can't play indian ps2 games as ps2 games are region free.

Keeping this in mind i bought the 80gb in US vs the 60gb in india. I dont want to play ps2 games and hence felt ok paying 15k less and buying a better system in US. Also got motorstorm free and spent 6k so far to get 3 more games (f1, nascar and resistance). Total spendings less than 30k and peace of mind as less chances of heating issues

The 40gb will be much cheaper, but you can expect one wired (no wireless) controller and no free games. Plus you wont have the option to connect memory cards, etc and they may skimp on some other hardware aspects (hopefully not digital audio out and hdmi)

Cheers,
j
Old 8th October 2007, 15:06   #155
Senior - BHPian

The 80gb one will also get a price cut and will be priced at 499. So basically for $100 you can double your HDD capacity. I would probably go for the 80gb one though I dont know what Id do with the space. Also another site that I just looked at claims that there wont be any HDMI or wireless. Without HDMI I dont know who would buy the 40gb one to save $100

Last edited by khanak : 8th October 2007 at 15:07.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:29   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I dont think theyl do that. They already have the 60 adn 80 gb versions with identical features. The only thing that wasnt there in the previous 30gb version is wifi and they discontinued it due to low demand. And this isnt speculation, If you look at the gaming indians forums, someoen has put up scans of the bestbuy forms proving the existence of the 40gb version.
40GB version are coming out in Europe only (as of now!) on 10th of this month (10th Oct). They havent announced it on North America.
As far as the differences goes..
1. It lacks Ps2 backward compactibility!.. Sony's reasoning.. lot of money has been spent on backward compactibily. Also, there are nearly 65 PS3 titles available right now. So why not spent the money on future games rather an backward compactibility.
2. Fewer USB ports than 60 or 80 GB version (2 to be precise).
3. No memory card reader.
4. Ofcourse, HDD difference.

regards,
ant

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 8th October 2007 at 15:30.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:30   #157
Senior - BHPian

For the PS3 I would not buy one till GT5 is out, makes no sense since that's the only game (apart from the GTA series) which I really want to play.
Old 8th October 2007, 15:40   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
For the PS3 I would not buy one till GT5 is out, makes no sense since that's the only game (apart from the GTA series) which I really want to play.
I agree, I really wanted a PS3 but they really need to work on their games,

I think the best solution is to get both, a 360 and a PS3
Old 8th October 2007, 15:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
40GB version are coming out in Europe only (as of now!) on 10th of this month (10th Oct). They havent announced it on North America.

Are you sure? Im pretty sure its coming out in the US as well.

Source - GamingIndians . com

Last edited by khanak : 8th October 2007 at 15:46.
Old 8th October 2007, 23:43   #160

PC beats any other console any day. It is the most practical console of them all. Be it FPS, MMORPGs, Driving Sims. The money that one spends on a PS3 if spent sensibly on a PC over-clock could do wonders for a gamer.

The only possible reason we buy consoles are the games it is compatible with. Most of the games are released for PC also. How on earth could you chat with friends, write your reports, download a BMW M3 simulator, AND socialize with your fellow Dwarf Hunters in the scary jungles of Ashenvale all at the same time, on a console?

HOW I ask?
Old 8th October 2007, 23:59   #161
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hmm well...point is some people prefer keeping their gaming devices away from the pc realms..as in I wouldnt wanna mess with my laptop for any reason to increase its potential, plus graphics quality on an HD screen?I'd still buy a console..I'm still waiting for sony to make the 80 gb affordable..
Old 9th October 2007, 00:18   #162

Thats because your PC hasn't been modified as a gaming system. We have been made to develop our mentality that way by the corporate 'tie-wearing' beasts down at Sony and Microsoft. PCs were actually the pioneer gaming consoles back in the days of 2D depth perception games. Sony's PlayStation was a massive fiasco. Nintendo ruled the market with shoddy arcades. With the advent of Sony PS2 it all changed grossly. The games and everything were similar to a PC version but the PS2 fad took over the world by a storm.

You know, the other day my friend got himself a nano I-pod, he actually has a Mobile Phone which has got a better DAC converter than the Ipod. When I questioned his idiocy he said: "Dude, a phone is to attend calls, I need a dedicated device for music". As logical as it may sound, he does sound a bit brain-washed into getting an Ipod.

You can attach HD screen to your PC. 3 axis Steering Wheel, H-matic Gear-box with analog clutch pedal, spin Richard Burns Rally CD one game would be enough to convert your faiths.
Old 9th October 2007, 00:37   #163
Senior - BHPian

^^ Like I said they are going to drop the price by $100.
Old 9th October 2007, 00:44   #164
BHPian

try getting full hd and 7.1 sound out of the pc - most gamers have emerged from playing on PCs and media tv games and the quality that comes out of a ps3 or xbox 360 cannot be rivaled by a pc.

Now I am not saying you cant connect your laptop to a full hd tv and 7.1 sound system, sure you can, but the game content on the 4.5gb dvd you pop into a pc is not the same as on a 50gb PS3 bluray disc.

The only thing that is easier with a pc is if its a laptop and you like playing while on the move - again a psp beats a laptop in terms of battery life if not screen size.

And yes i can download stuff, chat with my friends on my laptop and game at the same time on the ps3/xbox360. This is much easier than switching continuously (alt-tab) on your pc between the game and the computer stuff

Another point - the graphics acceleration available on computers is still a joke as compared to the graphics capabilities on a dedicated gaming console.
Besides I can use the PS3 as a computer too and sony fully supports running linux on a ps3 for computing/gaming purposes. Now that makes a mighty powerful PC + dedicated gaming device out of the PS3 for 1/10th of the cost of any supposed commercially available pc which could offer PS3's graphics processing capabilities. Correct me if the awesome PS3 graphics capabilities are available on a pc, i doubt so.

cheers,
j

Last edited by jassi : 9th October 2007 at 00:48.
Old 9th October 2007, 03:19   #165

Quote:
try getting full hd and 7.1 sound out of the pc - most gamers have emerged from playing on PCs and media tv games and the quality that comes out of a ps3 or xbox 360 cannot be rivaled by a pc.
You need a reality check. Lets do the maths:
PS3
20/60/80 GB SATA Drive
GPU Nvidia RSX
512 Mb DDR3 RAM (256 shared for graphics)
Digital Video Recorder
Blue Ray Player
Cell CPU Now my current PC has got everything superior to that.
Try this for example: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-K8NXP-SLI You can attain more than double the speed provided in a PS3 GPU
Quote:
Now I am not saying you cant connect your laptop to a full hd tv and 7.1 sound system, sure you can, but the game content on the 4.5gb dvd you pop into a pc is not the same as on a 50gb PS3 bluray disc.
One strong point (or rather a gimmick) of a PS3. But seriously, do you think that PCs will not catch on to this? Blue Ray Discs for PCs have been in the market already, its just a matter of getting in to the mainstream, and that will happen when Sony and the likes have made enough dough selling those (D V D. Ring any bells?)

Quote:
The only thing that is easier with a pc is if its a laptop and you like playing while on the move - again a psp beats a laptop in terms of battery life if not screen size.
A laptop is NOT meant for gaming.

Quote:
And yes i can download stuff, chat with my friends on my laptop and game at the same time on the ps3/xbox360. This is much easier than switching continuously (alt-tab) on your pc between the game and the computer stuff

Quote:
Another point - the graphics acceleration available on computers is still a joke as compared to the graphics capabilities on a dedicated gaming console.
Besides I can use the PS3 as a computer too and sony fully supports running linux on a ps3 for computing/gaming purposes.Now that makes a mighty powerful PC + dedicated gaming device out of the PS3 for 1/10th of the cost of any supposed commercially available pc which could offer PS3's graphics processing capabilities. Correct me if the awesome PS3 graphics capabilities are available on a pc, i doubt so.
Oh boy! How could you possibly think that way. You need to go out and research some PC components. 1/10th of a PC???? For the graphic capabilities check the link above. Technology advances by a mile everyday and it will be the PC gamer to catch up to it and all the fancy consoles will remain the same say after a couple of years. What are you gonna do then? Buy a PS4? hah!

A PC can be easily updated without hassles.

To make things i said above i little clearer, i shall take you all the way to the east:

One Gloomy Day in the PS3 Game Development Dept. Minato, Tokyo

Hapless Programmer: The Cell processor that your console incorporates makes it a horrendous programming environment sir.

Sony Beast: MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

Sony Beast: How do you like this tie?

Hapless Programmer: ermm, sir we seem to have an issue here.?

Sony Beast: DO IT you sub-human code monkey.

Hapless Programmer: But how are we supposed to recover costs? The development costs will go through the roof.

Sony Beast: hmmmm. Why don't we incorporate a NEW technology. That will get us all the attention and the profits.

Hapless Programmer: How about BlueRay?

Sony Beast:
Whats BlueRay?

Hapless Programmer:
Never mind sir. I ll take care of it.

RING RING RING
*Hello. BlueRay Disc Association?*

Sony Beast: MONEY MONEY MONEY.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks