Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 08:12   #196
BHPian

sure - i have agreed time and again that some of my answers were not well researched - i am not a student with unlimited time to research technology trends, I would love to and do make an attempt on holidays, but when you are working 14 hours a day and sometimes on weekends, technology moves faster than you can research. Besides the ps3 was ovetaken by the nvidia 8 series in terms of performance quite recently and not in 1990.

I never said viruses cannot be written - vulnerabilities may exist, threats which exploit em really don't. You can't say that about a windows pc now, can you. I do information security for a living, come down to one of the conferences I speak at and lets talk about buffer overflows or cross site scripting attacks and how they work.

I would love to see the Rs. 12k gaming PC and what games it handles when compared to a modern day gaming console

We are all here to share and learn from our personal experiences. This is a car forum, but that in no way indicates the capabilities of people outside the car world.

Opinions will come a dime a dozen be it a car forum or a gaming forum. You can goto a PC focussed forum and get your gaming console thrashed down there or you can goto an xbox/ps3 forum and get your pc thrashed down there.

Also which part of my reply regarding the home theatre experience did not seem logical or rational?? All I talked about was prices of various components and the choices one has, in terms of gaming consoles/PC, existing or new TV and sound systems upgrades
Old 17th October 2007, 10:03   #197

Wow! Thats an interesting Discussion ...PC vs Consoles...Well I think PC's have ruled the world over the past few years as far as gaming is concerned, but i think only coz we didn't have any options or may i say options were limited and out of reach (Cost wise atleast). I have had a dream machine (PC) with 64Bit Proc and top of the line ATI Radeon Video Card and 4GB RAM, but all it does today is sit and assist me with doing some storage virtualization a.k.a Vmware stuff , I even have a HP top of the line Laptop and yeah sure both these systems were my gaming consoles for quite sometime but not anymore...

I have played and completed about 200-300 games till date, Just one question to the Guy who is boasting about his PC -- When was the last time u saw a BSOD on your PC and were u able to save progress on ur Game or did u have to start all over?? :P

I am a true console fan , own a XBOX and a PS3 and i don't care how much they cost me but i am just happy to play the top of the line games on systems completely designed to do what they do best GAME!! So in effect, u may have a top of the line PC today and with all the pirated games available and all the brouhaha! But when u stand in a crowd all u will see is a see of XBOXers and PS3 gamers discussing console games and u can stand pondering Umm..Errr..Will somebody discuss PC gaming.

I am guessing by the length of this discussion that Mr. My PC Rocks Guy hasn't played GEARS OF WAR or RESISTANCE FALL OF MEN. Play 'em pal (Currently available only on Consoles :P ) and then lets see who rules.

And Did i forget to mention, try XBOX LIVE too.

And please guys. True Gamers Game. Which i am doing rite now..So Stop talking let the games do the talking!!!

Cheers,
Anurag
Old 18th October 2007, 14:40   #198
BHPian

Its official now...
Sony releasing 40GB on Nov2nd. at $400 and decreasing 80GB to $500. wonder what would be the price of 60GB. they havent mentioned that anywhere in the article.!

Sony to sell new 40GB PlayStation 3 in U.S. | Technology | Reuters
Old 18th October 2007, 14:58   #199
BHPian

antoni - the 60gb production has been long stopped in US and the remaining in store units were selling in august at 499USD with a free controller.

I decided to pick up the 80gb at 599USD at that time with 5 bluray movies, 1 game (motorstorm) and a free controller (store offer). More value and fewer hassles and heating issues

Note - what i lost was the backward compatibility chip for PS2 games, which was present in 60gPS3 and not in 80gPS3 - the 80g PS3 does not play all PS2 games, as it does software emulation in absence of the chip. I do intend to buy PS2 games though so no probs there

Good to know that 80gb is now down to 500usd, but I guess you wont get the freebies (movies, games and controller)
Old 19th October 2007, 10:59   #200

@anurag: I have played Gears of War and i think its an amazing game. Especially the soundtrack, itzs by my favorite band. I own a PS2 and an Xbox 360 as far as consoles go. Read above, I haven't missed a chance to rave about Halo. The argument over here is which one is the best. In a nutshell: PC wins hands down. Xbox 360 is better than a PS3.

Btw, sorry for the delay. Been rather busy. Will come back with an elaborate reply later today. Jassi, keep your eyes open. haha hahah hahahaha hahahhahaha
Old 22nd October 2007, 05:40   #201

I have been meaning to write an elaborate post on how and why does the PlayStation 3 suck so much that it makes the likes of Himesh Reshamiya look good. But must not bother anymore for the inevitable hath occurred.

Due to the pathetic sales figures of the worst console ever made in the history of mankind(i.e. PS3), Sony finally used their age old ace in the hole. They slashed the prices.

We’re pleased to offer the consumer a lower price point without sacrificing the core technology components that make PS3 the most advanced high-definition entertainment system available. Every PS3 comes with a Blu-ray drive, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, Cell Broadband Engine and a built-in hard-drive,” said Jack Tretton, president and chief executive of SCEA.

Kindly read the very first line of the statement once again. This proves that the actual manufacturing costs were much lower. This further goes on to prove that its another Sony Fiasco in the making. Apparently their plan to trick the stupid consumer into spending their hard earned cash for peanuts has finally bit the dust. The greedy ***** did not even care to make the console backward compatible. Got what they deserved.

Weep all you first edition PS3 owners. Losers.

Sony Computer Entertainment America on Thursday said it would slash the price of the currently available PlayStation 3 80GB by $100 and also introduce a much more affordable model with no backwards compatibility, but available at just $399.
Old 22nd October 2007, 05:49   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag911 View Post

Just one question to the Guy who is boasting about his PC -- When was the last time u saw a BSOD on your PC and were u able to save progress on ur Game or did u have to start all over?? :P
Somewhere around the Pre-WindowsXP dark age.
XP is highly stable in that regard. Not by any means perfect but quite all right. I have never had the blue screen error on my XP.
AND
Ever heard of Real time saving?
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:31   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinee View Post
I have been meaning to write an elaborate post on how and why does the PlayStation 3 suck so much that it makes the likes of Himesh Reshamiya look good. But must not bother anymore for the inevitable hath occurred.

Due to the pathetic sales figures of the worst console ever made in the history of mankind(i.e. PS3), Sony finally used their age old ace in the hole. They slashed the prices.

We’re pleased to offer the consumer a lower price point without sacrificing the core technology components that make PS3 the most advanced high-definition entertainment system available. Every PS3 comes with a Blu-ray drive, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, Cell Broadband Engine and a built-in hard-drive,” said Jack Tretton, president and chief executive of SCEA.

Kindly read the very first line of the statement once again. This proves that the actual manufacturing costs were much lower. This further goes on to prove that its another Sony Fiasco in the making. Apparently their plan to trick the stupid consumer into spending their hard earned cash for peanuts has finally bit the dust. The greedy ***** did not even care to make the console backward compatible. Got what they deserved.

Weep all you first edition PS3 owners. Losers.

Sony Computer Entertainment America on Thursday said it would slash the price of the currently available PlayStation 3 80GB by $100 and also introduce a much more affordable model with no backwards compatibility, but available at just $399.
The price drop wasnt because it was an inferior product and they had to cut the price to sell the console. The price drop was because now some of the components in the ps3 are cheaper to manufacture now and the benefits are being passed on to the customers.

The xbox360 also had a price cut recently btw.

As for value, im sure youll agree with me that the PS3 is a LOT more vfm with its free PSN, Integrated Blu Ray Disc player, Inbuilt wifi and reliability and larger HDD space.
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:32   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinee View Post
Btw, sorry for the delay. Been rather busy. Will come back with an elaborate reply later today. Jassi, keep your eyes open. haha hahah hahahaha hahahhahaha
Dude you sound like a fanboy.
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:25   #205
BHPian

i already got the 100usd advantage - when i got 5bluray movies and 1 game free and the fact that i gamed since august is 100% paisa wasool. the same applies to anyone who bought a first gen ps3 one year ago - they have got their moneys worth.the same applies to anyone who bought a first gen xbox360, even though today u can get an xbox elite with hddvd, they have played enough for a year on their console to break even.the same applies to anyone who bought an nvidia 8 series card at a premium when it was launched.the point here is u can't wait for things to get freaking cheap, u can only wait for things to be affordable and that definition chaanges from person to person the technology upgrades in consoles are less frequent (jump to nex gen console), whereas when on gaming pcs, one tends to lust more for the latest card, memory, upgrade and you end up spending more often. khanak is right they dropped the prices because they have integrated a couple of chips into a single IC - this minimizes heating and increases performance.
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:06   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Anybody knows from where in Pallika Baazar i can pick up a few games of PS3 and how much will they cost, i think they are pirated, right? Hope it will play and wont be in a bad shape?

Also, which PS3 games our inhouse PS3 fans recommend?
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:04   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Anybody knows from where in Pallika Baazar i can pick up a few games of PS3 and how much will they cost, i think they are pirated, right? Hope it will play and wont be in a bad shape?
If these aren't original copies, you maynot be able to play them unless you get your PS3 chipped.

I though, have decided to stay away from cheaper copies. It's gonna be genuine games from now on.

Quote:
GT5 (if you're a hardcore racer). Yet to be released (2008 launch), but it's worth waiting for.

Also try Ridge Racer 6.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:38   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

You could try this site!...
Buy Games/PlayStation3™

You only need a credit card. They do sent the games to your door step (thru EMS Speed post for free or thru UPS for a higher price!) ...

Make sure you buy the "US version" games as they are in english!
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:44   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

I though, have decided to stay away from cheaper copies. It's gonna be genuine games from now on.

Shan2nu
I agree to your view point. After all, if we dont buy the genuine games, its gonna cost the developers their money.
So if developers doesnt get money, they are gonna stop developing..
Stop development = No new games!.
No new Games = less games for us to play and hence making the purchase of gaming consoles a waste of money..
eventually we ourselves become the losers!.
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:45   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you buy the "US version" games as they are in english!
I think the US versions of PS3 games are NTSC right and we get Pal consoles here. Won't that create a prob?

I know that PS3 games have been found to be region free but has anybody personally experienced this? Coz i was planning on getting some PS3 titles from the US.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed