Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:46   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
If these aren't original copies, you maynot be able to play them unless you get your PS3 chipped.

I though, have decided to stay away from cheaper copies. It's gonna be genuine games from now on.

GT5 (if you're a hardcore racer). Yet to be released (2008 launch), but it's worth waiting for.

Also try Ridge Racer 6.

Shan2nu
How do we get the PS3 chipped and who does it? Did you face any problems with the pirated games?

@antonichen, thanks for the site address, is it a asian site?
Old 22nd October 2007, 13:55   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do we get the PS3 chipped and who does it? Did you face any problems with the pirated games?
Not sure if you can get the PS3 chipped in india as of now but it would be wise to stay away from fiddling with the internals.

I don't have any pirated games on the PS3 but it couldn't play my pirated copy of GT4 (PS2) on it, even though the original version is PS3 compatible.

But the PS3 doesn't have probs playing MP3 cd/dvds.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd October 2007 at 13:58.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:28   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@antonichen, thanks for the site address, is it a asian site?
Its based out of Hong Kong!. (Atleast they ship their products to India from Hong Kong)
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:35   #214
BHPian

Quote:
I think the US versions of PS3 games are NTSC right and we get Pal consoles here. Won't that create a prob?

I know that PS3 games have been found to be region free but has anybody personally experienced this? Coz i was planning on getting some PS3 titles from the US.

Shan2nu
I contacted Play-Asia for buying PSP games (not ps3) and this is the extract of the mails that was exchanged!. Read from Bottom Up..

Play-Asia.com Customer Support message from 2007-10-12 12:17:48 HKT
Dear Antony,

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

The reason is that there are many different versions for games, e.g.. Japanese, Asian, US, etc. In general, Japanese and Asian games usually provide Japanese language only. US games usually provide English language.

For the second enquiry, you can just press on "US Version Games" to browse US games.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Tony
Play-Asia.com

Customer message from 2007-10-11 19:56:01 HKT Hi,
In continuation to the reply below, If there is no region code for PSP games,
Why the description says "US"?
And also, on your site, you have a search filter based on version?
See the link --> Buy Games/Sony PSP™/Games by Version

Regards,
Antony P Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Play-Asia Customer Service [mailto:enquiry@play-asia.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:32 AM
To: Antony P. Joseph
Subject: [PACS-515156] Technical question

Dear Antony,

I am sorry. There is no region code for PSP games and they can be played
by all PSP consoles.

Noted that there are region protection for UMD movies. For the Japanese
PSP, it can only play region code 2 and region free UMD movies. We cannot
accept returns due to incompatibility or language problems under our Terms
of Sales.

Best regards,

Tony
Play-Asia.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Original Message from 2007-10-10 21:43:07 HKT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-In the product description of the PSP game

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Essentials,

I see the following comment -->

' (For Sony PSP(tm), US, No Region Protection) '.

Does this mean that this is 'region 1' UMD?

Play-Asia.com Customer Support message from 2007-10-11 12:01:54 HKT

Dear Antony,

I am sorry. There is no region code for PSP games and they can be played by all PSP consoles.

Noted that there are region protection for UMD movies. For the Japanese PSP, it can only play region code 2 and region free UMD movies. We cannot accept returns due to incompatibility or language problems under our Terms of Sales.

Best regards,

Tony
Play-Asia.com

Customer message from 2007-10-10 21:43:07 HKT

In the product description of the PSP game
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Essentials,
I see the following comment -->
" (For Sony PSP™, US, No Region Protection) ".

Does this mean that this is "region 1" UMD?
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:46   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I contacted Play-Asia for buying PSP games (not ps3) and this is the extract of the mails that was exchanged!. Read from Bottom Up..
Can u ask them about PS3 as well?

Shan2nu
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:51   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Can u ask them about PS3 as well?

Shan2nu
I already did... You might have to wait till tomorrow!.. Their help desk is based out of Hong Kong!.
Old 22nd October 2007, 14:54   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, Anybody knows from where in Pallika Baazar i can pick up a few games of PS3 and how much will they cost, i think they are pirated, right? Hope it will play and wont be in a bad shape?

Also, which PS3 games our inhouse PS3 fans recommend?
Resistence: fall of man is considered to be THE game to own on a ps3 an is the highest selling game for the ps3.

Gran Turismo 5, Grand Theft Auto 4 nd Metal Gear Solid are coming up soon too.

Palika will surely have original ps3 games on sale. I havent heard about ps3s getting chipped though I know you can chip a 360.

I agree with shantanu, sure its tempting to get pirated games but id advise you to stay away from it. It just ruins the whole experience in a way (atleast for me)

Last edited by khanak : 22nd October 2007 at 14:57.
Old 22nd October 2007, 20:42   #218
BHPian

PS3 games are region free -

But if a game has regional content, heres how it works :
In PS3, the BD-DVD capacity is 50gb - each bluray dvd has the games for all the regions. So if you buy a US game disc and insert it in Indian PS3, the PS3 simply selects the right game for its region and plays that. This is possible due to large capacity of bd-dvds. However till date I have not come across region coded games in PS3. The reason being developers want to pack maximum content in 50gb disc instead of packing 5 regional variants of 1 game in the huge space they have available.

XBOX/360/PS2 all have region coded games and because of finite size of media, they cannot have multi region games on 1 disc. However quite a few Xbox360 games are region free.

I just bought resistance fall of man in india and it plays very well on my US PS3. NTCS/PAL is not on the game, its what the PS3 is set to throw out and most tvs in india automatically switch from ntsc/pal/secam

Pirated games are a strict no-no for me. I did not get my xbox360 chipped neither would I want to chip my PS3. At 50USD ps3 games are quite affordable and I currently have following games
1) Formula 1
2) Resistance fall of man
3) nascar
4) motorstorm

I am waiting for WRC4 to be launched
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:01   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4) motorstorm
Did you check out the "Aerial" mode in the game? Man those rock mountains look realistic (especially in 1080p).

It's an awesome game if your intention is to just fool around and have fun with friends. Not the kind of game a serious racer would wanna play.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd October 2007, 21:07   #220
BHPian

havent really got around to playing motorstorm and nascar yet. I'd say nascar maybe a good game, if you are into driving around in circles and motorstorm is clearly to fool around

My recommendations would be F1 and RFOM for now, and maybe the upcoming WRC4 or sega rally. I am more of a racer (f1 for now), with some weekend shooting (rfom). This is the reason why I am not interested in pirated games, I play and enjoy one game at a time, and don't really want a dozen cheap games lying around untouched
Old 23rd October 2007, 04:28   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The price drop wasnt because it was an inferior product and they had to cut the price to sell the console. The price drop was because now some of the components in the ps3 are cheaper to manufacture now and the benefits are being passed on to the customers.

The xbox360 also had a price cut recently btw.

As for value, im sure youll agree with me that the PS3 is a LOT more vfm with its free PSN, Integrated Blu Ray Disc player, Inbuilt wifi and reliability and larger HDD space.
[sarcasm]Right. Its all in customer's interest. They haven't given a second thought about their rivals who have out-sold them by a few million miles.[/sarcasm]

Do you even have the slightest idea of the sales figure of PS3 when compared to the 360 or the Wii?

Elaborate about the cheaper to build parts.

All the wonderful features that you are harping about are more or less redundant. I am planning to do an article for my University journal and guess whats my subject? I will post it here.

Quote:
Dude you sound like a fanboy.
I am taking part in a discussion. Putting forth my opinion. If something comes along that is genuinely better and more practical than a PC, I ll be the first one to spread the word.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:36   #222
Senior - BHPian

The main competition is between the 360 and the PS3. The 360 is selling more because of its extensive game catalogue and slightly cheaper price. The 360 has also been around for a longer period of time than the PS3. And yea I have more than a slight idea about console sales figures but Im condfident that as new games come into the market and with the price drop sales are sure to pick up.

anyways have a look at this link, Keep in mind that the 360 didnt have any competition when it launched though.

PS3 sales on par with 360, launches aligned - PS3 Fanboy

Whether you agree to it or not, the additional features that the PS3 has compared to the 360 definatly give it the edge. A lot of developers are even complaining about the lack of space on DVDs.

Also do let us know a little moer about your PC setup and what games you play on your PC.

Good Luck with your assignment.
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:09   #223

Talk about irony! That link comes from www.ps3fanboy.com
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:07   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Palika will surely have original ps3 games on sale. I havent heard about ps3s getting chipped though I know you can chip a 360.
Yeah, they have original games available for all consoles PS3, XBOX, PSP etc. no problem there. And yes the XBOX360 is now available chipped there at 19k with a 20gb HDD.
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:31   #225
BHPian

from practical experience - i looked at multiple stores - compusa, bestbuy, target, etc - I am a regular at these places once in 3-6 months. I'm mostly quite pally with these store sales guys. ANd at all these places, PS3 sales match the xbox360 sales, with Wii slightly lagging. They sell as many of both xbox360 and ps3, and in cases where one is sold out, so is the other.

Same applies to Singapore stores, where I am a regular, both the PS3 and xbox360s are sold in equal numbers.

The number of PS3s out there are certainly not the same as the number of xbox360s, due the lead the xbxo360 had earlier on, however as of today they are sold in equal numbers. We can keep pointing linkies and where they come from, but the fact is PS3 is technically a more advanced offering (bd, wifi, linux capability, etc) and is set to outsell sometime in near future, when there are 70+ titles available

No one is questioning the number of lame PCs deployed out there which can be used for gaming, even a 486 can be used to play wolf3d, but certainly the number of high end gaming pcs with nvidia 8 series or high end ATI cards aren't that many, infact their sales have drastically dropped and taken away by gaming consoles. NVidia office is right below my office and from what those guys tell me, they are concentrating and making more revenues on their higher end graphics cards from sales of consoles than high end gaming pcs On the lower end graphics cards they are still good as daily working pc/laptop sales have not dropped and are healthy!!

Eat your heart out PC gamers !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks