Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 18:08   #616
BHPian

ps3 or xbox core

I am planning to buy one of these this weekend.

A few points before I ask for suggestions -

1.I do not have a HDTV yet , on buying list for march/april
2.I am used to psp and ps2 , played games on xbox too and find myself comfortable with that console also.
3.xbox offer - 15k , with 4 games , memory card to be bought separately ,1+2 years warranty
4.ps3 for 23k , 2 games,1 year warranty
5.No plans of watching movies on ps3 , it will be used only for gaming.
6.will be using only the original dvd's

from the deal i am getting I would prefer the ps3 , even though it is 6 k more expensive.I was wondering if waiting for ps3 80gb release would be worth a wait as it can pull the prices down of both the xbox and ps3.and then later on maybe I can get a 40gb ps3 with a price close to 20k.

Also would like to have your suggestions on which one to buy.Just a few major advantages of both the consoles would be good enough.

@manav : is the orange blinking light covered under warranty.
Old 14th January 2009, 18:57   #617
BHPian

@niks, you might want to check the prices of original games for both consoles. AFAIK, PS3 games are more expensive in India. Plus, you should be able to get a better deal on the XBOX if you wait. I got mine around Diwali from Planet M. They had a special promo running under which I got 2 games, a 20 gb hard drive and a second remote. If you are willing to wait, you should be able to get something similar. I guess the same would hold for the Sony consoles as well.
Old 14th January 2009, 19:04   #618
Senior - BHPian

I was also planning to but the PS3 but when I checked the US prices I was shocked.
23K for 40GB for us here and similar price for 160GB in the US. Thinking of asking someone to get one from there.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:11   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
@niks, you might want to check the prices of original games for both consoles. AFAIK, PS3 games are more expensive in India. Plus, you should be able to get a better deal on the XBOX if you wait. I got mine around Diwali from Planet M. They had a special promo running under which I got 2 games, a 20 gb hard drive and a second remote. If you are willing to wait, you should be able to get something similar. I guess the same would hold for the Sony consoles as well.
yes I have heard they had this offer in Mumbai ..... Can anyone from Pune/Mumbai tell me if theres a deal like this out there?
Old 16th January 2009, 16:52   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
To the best of my knowledge, basded on the research I have done, Xbox titles are more expensive than PS3. The reason why people may think PS3 games are more expensive is because new hit, titles command a hefty premium. I guess it would be the same for the Xbox. You can get some very good PS3 titles for Rs. 1300-1500.
Also one point to be aware of. The Core is a seriously handicapped machine. You really need a hard disk on these machines. The Microsoft one costs 5k - so that puts paid to any savings.
I agree that the Xbox has some good deals on it around Diwali. I saw the same offer as Jaibir at that time. That made it a much more compelling buy. Minus that offer on the Core, the PS3 is a much more complete machine. Also Sony doesn't have promos on the PS3. The only thing I wangled out of them was an HDMI cable.
Old 16th January 2009, 18:59   #621
BHPian

I checked same titles for both xbox and ps3 , they cost exactly the same but the most recent ones definitely ask for a 2000+ expenditure.

As of now I am inclined towards ps 3 (wi-fi internet connectivity and free online play) unless i get THE offer on xbox.

Don't you get an HDMI cable with LCD TV's? Can I connect my lcd monitor (with DVI) and speakers separately with xbox orPS3? any ideas?
Old 16th January 2009, 19:19   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
To the best of my knowledge, basded on the research I have done, Xbox titles are more expensive than PS3.
Titles for both consoles cost mostly the same, ranging from $39 to $59 depending on the game & edition.

Quote:
Also one point to be aware of. The Core is a seriously handicapped machine. You really need a hard disk on these machines. The Microsoft one costs 5k - so that puts paid to any savings.
Yes, while you could try getting one of those memory cards, the HDD is the better buy.

Quote:
I agree that the Xbox has some good deals on it around Diwali. I saw the same offer as Jaibir at that time. That made it a much more compelling buy.
Yes, this Diwali there was a combined offer for a Panasonic LCD-TV along with a 360. A friend & his colleague picked up such a package & then split it among themselves - he ended up paying the equivalent of 10K for his 360 !

Most games are released on both consoles & end up looking the same. So its the exclusive titles that differentiate the consoles - for me the sole reason for getting the 360 was Halo The availability of XBox-Live completes the package nicely & all Live-enabled games integrate seamlessly with it. I don't remember the last time I played alone (honestly !), XB-Live is just too much fun
Old 17th January 2009, 07:21   #623
Senior - BHPian

I can never understand the point for *paying* for playing multiplayer games!
Old 19th January 2009, 11:30   #624
Senior - BHPian

Got this quote yesterday. From an authorised dealer. With B&W.

PS3 40GB + Resistance fall of Man = 22.9 K
PS3 80GB + "some racing game" = 25.9 K

Other than the HDD size, is there any difference between the 2 consoles?

The guy also mentioned that XBOX supplies have dried up.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:41   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Got this quote yesterday. From an authorised dealer. With B&W.

PS3 40GB + Resistance fall of Man = 22.9 K
PS3 80GB + "some racing game" = 25.9 K

Other than the HDD size, is there any difference between the 2 consoles?

The guy also mentioned that XBOX supplies have dried up.
Yes, there is a minor difference. 80GB has 4 USB Ports (or 6) & a Memory card reader also is capable of playing some of the PS2 games.
40GB has only 2 USB Ports and no memory card reader. And it cannot play PS2 games.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:18   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
a Memory card reader also is capable of playing some of the PS2 games.
How would that work? Load the PS2 DVD and then some software on the card helps interpret the DVD?
Old 19th January 2009, 14:27   #627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
How would that work? Load the PS2 DVD and then some software on the card helps interpret the DVD?
he means it has a mem card reader and can play ps2 games. not that the mem card reader helps in any way.

also the new 80gb model dosent have a mem card reader and also has only 2 usb ports.
Old 19th January 2009, 15:07   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
he means it has a mem card reader and can play ps2 games. not that the mem card reader helps in any way.

also the new 80gb model dosent have a mem card reader and also has only 2 usb ports.
this means that they have only taken the 40gb ps3 sold here and swapped the hdd to 80gb. The real 80 gb has a 4 usb ports and all the mem card readers.
Old 19th January 2009, 22:54   #629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
this means that they have only taken the 40gb ps3 sold here and swapped the hdd to 80gb. The real 80 gb has a 4 usb ports and all the mem card readers.
the old one had those. it also had problems with some games like gta 4 which werent present on the 40gb.
Old 20th January 2009, 00:25   #630
Senior - BHPian

Well, I checked at PlanetM too. They said 25K for the 40gb and 31K for the 80gb. No free games. These guys did mention that the 80gb can play PS2 games and supposedly has 'improved' WiFi - didn't know himself what he meant by that. I think the new ones also come with a dualshock controller, whereas the earlier version had a non-dualshock sixaxis. Is this right?

The dealer was saying that when Sony drops prices, they do not give any benefit to dealers holding stock at earlier prices. Hence some are still selling the 40gb at 25K, whereas a fresh order would mean a 23K price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks