Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 21:37   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Guys hows does PS3 work .

1.What is the need of 160 or 320 GB HDD, does the games get copied to HDD ?
2.Do you need to put the game CD everytime you need to play the game ?
3.Is the Blue Ray player region free ?
1. I use the PS3 as my media center and storage since it is 320GB. And if i exceed the limit i plug in a 1TB XHDD which increases the capacity and i am a happy camper as i can stream anything over the network. It is truly a great system.

Yes, some data of games is saved on HDD. I installed RUN and it installed approx 2GB of data on HD. Haven't played online which will add to it.

2. Yes

3. Yes(Games) and No (Movies)

WRT Point 1, i had like to point out that 4GB of XBOX 360 is just to lower the price point. It has the same thing, once you get the LIVE membership and play lots of games, you have to get a higher capacity HD. My friend spent $75 more for a 120GB HDD. So in short, his Xbox 360 cost him $275 and still got 124 GB HDD.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:37   #1097
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I just bought a PS3 mediveal moves bundle from Croma (20k).

I figured out that i would have to buy the HDMI cable separately. :-(

I have a 32 inch LCD TV.

Any idea where to get the HDMI cable from?
Old 29th October 2012, 12:03   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Guys,

I have a 32 inch LCD TV.

Hi DCEite,

Go to any computer/electronic accessories shop in your neighborhood and buy the cheapest one, the normal going rate is around Rs 150/- for 1.8 meter cable.Don't buy the branded expensive ones as they have no apparent benefit (IMO).
Old 29th October 2012, 12:24   #1099
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I have a 32 inch LCD TV.

Congrats on your PS3. You will have to buy HDMI cable separately. Currently I am using it without an HDMI. You can try Flipkart if you are not willing to go to an electronics shop - although stupid to ask but Croma did not have HDMI cables?

Even I have heard that buying expensive HDMI cable is not worth it as it does not have superior performance. Average range for a good cable as I was told was 350-600. IMO please do not spend more than 500 on this.

Which games have you bought? Did you buy extra controllers (Move/DS3)?
Old 29th October 2012, 12:42   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Hi DCEite,

Go to any computer/electronic accessories shop in your neighborhood and buy the cheapest one, the normal going rate is around Rs 150/- for 1.8 meter cable.Don't buy the branded expensive ones as they have no apparent benefit (IMO).
Thanks lancerlover, would check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Congrats on your PS3. You will have to buy HDMI cable separately. Currently I am using it without an HDMI. You can try Flipkart if you are not willing to go to an electronics shop - although stupid to ask but Croma did not have HDMI cables?

Even I have heard that buying expensive HDMI cable is not worth it as it does not have superior performance. Average range for a good cable as I was told was 350-600. IMO please do not spend more than 500 on this.

Which games have you bought? Did you buy extra controllers (Move/DS3)?
Thanks Saanil.

Is it that HDMI has not much use? I thought an HDMI cable would give digital audio/video with much better resolution.

Croma guys didn't tell me about this HDMI stuff, i was too happy to take the PS3 box and run home.

Apart from the mediveal moves game which came bundled, i have just ordered Uncharted Trilogy and Dirt3 Complete edition from Indiatimes shopping, using TIMESGAMES coupon (10% off).

Havn't bought any extra controller yet.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th October 2012 at 12:45.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:56   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks lancerlover, would check that out.

Is it that HDMI has not much use? I thought an HDMI cable would give digital audio/video with much better resolution.

Apart from the mediveal moves game which came bundled, i have just ordered Uncharted Trilogy and Dirt3 Complete edition from Indiatimes shopping, using TIMESGAMES coupon (10% off).
Well I do not use HDMI so cannot comment on resolution output - But yes, People have told me that HDMI enhances gaming experience - Just get one cable and try. PS3 graphics are one of the reason people buy it - so you must buy a HDMI cable - I think even I will be buying now after advising it.

Indiatimes shopping has good rates and I was tempted to go for them but I read some bad reviews about them so went ahead with Flipkart (for Uncharted Trilogy). Hoping you get your order safely. How much time have they mentioned for the order to reach you? Have you shopped from there before or is this your first time with them?
Old 29th October 2012, 13:36   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil

Well I do not use HDMI so cannot comment on resolution output - But yes, People have told me that HDMI enhances gaming experience - Just get one cable and try. PS3 graphics are one of the reason people buy it - so you must buy a HDMI cable - I think even I will be buying now after advising it.

Indiatimes shopping has good rates and I was tempted to go for them but I read some bad reviews about them so went ahead with Flipkart (for Uncharted Trilogy). Hoping you get your order safely. How much time have they mentioned for the order to reach you? Have you shopped from there before or is this your first time with them?
If you are not using hdmi then you are missing out on all the fun. HDMI out makes a whole world of a difference. Please Buy one today and see the difference.

Last edited by M5_fan : 29th October 2012 at 13:37.
Old 29th October 2012, 13:46   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
If you are not using hdmi then you are missing out on all the fun. HDMI out makes a whole world of a difference. Please Buy one today and see the difference.
How about this one? Will it work?

http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_2354wt_902
Old 29th October 2012, 14:08   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it should work without any (compatibility) problems.

Last edited by lancerlover : 29th October 2012 at 14:13.
Old 29th October 2012, 15:22   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite
Yes it will work but i suggest you get a decent quality full hd 3d hdmi cable. A belkin high speed hdmi costs around 530/- for 1m and 730 for 1.5 m length.
Old 29th October 2012, 15:41   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerlover View Post
Yes, it should work without any (compatibility) problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Yes it will work but i suggest you get a decent quality full hd 3d hdmi cable. A belkin high speed hdmi costs around 530/- for 1m and 730 for 1.5 m length.
Isn't the ebay one Full HD (1080p) ?

I won't be interested in 3D gaming at all, should i still go for Belkin?
Old 29th October 2012, 17:05   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite

Isn't the ebay one Full HD (1080p) ?

I won't be interested in 3D gaming at all, should i still go for Belkin?
Yes belkin is a good choice. Its always better to get a 3d one as you never know when you will need it. Maybe someday you will watch a 3d film. Also belkin have a lifetime warranty, i got mine replaced last week free of charge. Moreover, the price difference is not much so belkin is a good choice. You can look for belkin high speed hdmi cables on ebay. Here is one - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Belkin-HDMI-C...#ht_2988wt_922
Old 29th October 2012, 18:20   #1108
Mik
BHPian

Please let me know if this question is not in the right section.
I left the gaming bug back in college when AOE and Quake 3 were the rage. Recently, have been toying with the idea of getting back into gaming again and am in a dilemma. I also intend to buy a new laptop since the old one is literally falling apart.
1. Should i buy a high spec laptop (approx 800 USD in USA from where i intend to source it) with reasonable gaming performance (not a very popular choice with my friends who are into gaming) ?
2. Should i buy a basic laptop and a PS3 (from India) ?
3. Any compatibility issues with games bought in USA for PS3 ?
Old 29th October 2012, 19:10   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Please let me know if this question is not in the right section.
Long post alert!

I guess you are asking about PC/laptop vs Console gaming, aren’t you? Let me tell you that I am not much of a gamer – I started out by playing Counter Strike (CS) in college days (I left college a year back). I used to play for hours online. There were times when I just used to come back from college and play CS all day long. I did try to play AOE too but did not like it so stuck with CS. Mind you that I have also played clan matches (team of 5) with proper strategy etc.

College ended – Job started – everything came to a halt. I do not even remember CS controls now. At this point of time, I had never played on console as for me PC was the ultimate thing – I mean what could possibly be better than playing CS (especially the De Dust map).

Once I went to Lonavala and a friend of mine got along his Wii – I heard about this for the 1st time and absolutely loved it. Loved it so much that I decided to buy a console. Research lead me to PS3 and I got it. Now I am in the initial phase of buying a cool gadget wherein I am spending a lot of time on it. Here is my advice:

FPS games – PC/Laptop.
Others – Console/PC.

I think playing FPS games on console is very hard. Although I have not spent too much time with it, I am not enjoying a lot like I used to while playing CS on PC. For other games like third person shooters/FIFA etc – console is better (Note that the PC is not bad either). I am yet to try online gaming on consoles – will do that after some time. One advantage of console is that you can play while sleeping on the couch.

Regarding your question, it depends. What kind of games do you want to play? A high spec laptop should be able to play the games you most probably will be playing – please see the specific requirements of each game though. In case of PS3, I do not have to worry about these things – If a game is released for PS3, it will run properly on it.

I went for PS3 because there was not space in my room to keep a big desktop. I have a small study table on which I keep a laptop but that is convenient only for browsing etc – you really cannot sit there for 2 hours gaming. One advantage of PS3 is that it also acts as a blue-ray player. Although I do not use it much, it does come in handy.

IMO – If you think you can do gaming on your laptop for 3-4 hours straight (I mean the space etc is comfortable) – go for it as you are going to buy a laptop for your daily usage anyways.

P.S - You can buy games from US - no worries with that as far as I know. Only Blue ray movies are region locked. So you cannot buy blue ray movies from US and play here in India.

Last edited by Saanil : 29th October 2012 at 19:12.
Old 29th October 2012, 22:53   #1110
BHPian

Just saw this and posting for the benefit of others. This is a Facebook link so you might need to login to view this: https://www.facebook.com/SonyPlaystationIndia

Here is the post made by them:

"The all new PS3 Super Slim 500 GB bundle!

Hours of addictive gaming all packed into one console priced at Rs 19990, with 2 Games Free!

Share this if it's on your Diwali wish list!"

The two games mentioned above are: Gran Turismo 5 Academy Edition and Uncharted 3 GOTY edition.

BTW here are the prices of the games if bought separately (Prices from Flipkart).
UC 3 GOTY Edition - 2,999
GT5 Academy Edition - 2,299

Last edited by Saanil : 29th October 2012 at 23:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks