Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:18   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

re: XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I was just contemplating on buying a console and your last statement has got me thinking.

I enjoy playing First Person Shooter games like Call of Duty, etc. and on rare occasion i play NFS or other racing games and all these on the PC.

Which console would you suggest in terms of reliability, service backup and performance? My son likes the motion sensing games too so this would be a requirement as well.

As of now, just started my search so i have no planned budget.
I am a recent convert to console gaming. I bought an Xbox 360 with Kinect.

I loved PC games like COD, GTA, NFS, etc. My views are expressed below.

1. For Racing games, the PC offers more accessories like wheels, etc... the PS3/Xbox also have accessories but a limited range. However, if you leave aside the accessories, the game play experience is better on consoles as you can lie back and enjoy the gaming. Generally the graphics are also good.

2. For Shooters like COD, etc the consoles suck in my opinion. It is very difficult to get the kind of accuracy you get on PC. The PC is just beautiful for these kind of games but consoles are wierd. Even GTA is more enjoyable on the PC than the Xbox. I know there are people who swear by console gaming but if you have played on the PC, it might be difficult ot get used to the aiming system on consoles.

After I wasted 2,000/- on COD Modern Warfare 2 for Xbox 360, I have given up on it. I will not play anymore shooters on the console. Console will be reserved for games like NFS, Grid, Forza Motorsport and GTA.

GTA even though it's a shooter is still manageable. Because the aiming system works very well. Also, the difficulty isnt too much compared to COD or something.

The only reason I went for the Xbox was Kinect. It works beautifully. The only disadvantage is that you need 6-10 feet (preferably 8-10 feet) between the Kinect sensor and the player. In my house, it is just borderline but still plays beautifully. It's a lot of fun when you have a party. I have played a lot of Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures with my family and friends and everyone loves it!

Aditya, before October 9th, you are welcome at my place to get a proper demo of these games before investing/spending your hard earned cash. Please dont hesitate. Come on down to see it before making a decision.
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:08   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

After I wasted 2,000/- on COD Modern Warfare 2 for Xbox 360,

The only reason I went for the Xbox was Kinect. It works beautifully. The only disadvantage is that you need 6-10 feet (preferably 8-10 feet) between the Kinect sensor and the player. In my house, it is just borderline but still plays beautifully. It's a lot of fun when you have a party. I have played a lot of Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures with my family and friends and everyone loves it!
My case was also similar to yours. Only difference is that I bought a PS3 and that too for PS3 Move. I have played a lot of counter strike on PC and I know it is very tough to get used to the console controller. Like you, even I wasted money on a FPS game (CoD) to realize this. Since then I have never bought a FPS game. I usually go for racing games as well as strategy ones
Old 4th October 2013, 21:30   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aditya, before October 9th, you are welcome at my place to get a proper demo of these games before investing/spending your hard earned cash. Please dont hesitate. Come on down to see it before making a decision.
Thanks for the offer Nikhil.

Quote:
For Shooters like COD, etc the consoles suck in my opinion. It is very difficult to get the kind of accuracy you get on PC. The PC is just beautiful for these kind of games but consoles are wierd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
My case was also similar to yours. Only difference is that I bought a PS3 and that too for PS3 Move. I have played a lot of counter strike on PC and I know it is very tough to get used to the console controller. Like you, even I wasted money on a FPS game (CoD) to realize this. Since then I have never bought a FPS game. I usually go for racing games as well as strategy ones
Thanks for the feedback. I rarely play due to lack of time now but enjoy FPS games. I like racing games too but get bored soon since they lack a proper storyline like in CoD etc.
Old 20th January 2014, 23:33   #1354
BHPian

Hi guys, need urgent advice. I got X-BOX 360 from the USA. Plugged in the power brick (without the game console) and poof! Later realized that it is meant for 100 Volt AC input.

Now what? Does MS even sell power adapters separately? Or any recommended third party one?
Old 21st January 2014, 11:49   #1355
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Hi guys, need urgent advice. I got X-BOX 360 from the USA. Plugged in the power brick (without the game console) and poof! Later realized that it is meant for 100 Volt AC input.

Now what? Does MS even sell power adapters separately? Or any recommended third party one?
Do not plug in the Xbox. eventually, it will blow away. The original MS 240V power brick costs 5000+ INR.

You can get a local converters for 500/-. Try to source some branded ones. they are easily available in your local electrical shops.

Old 21st January 2014, 17:34   #1356
BHPian

Any ps3 players out here? Add me shawn_dlima
Old 21st January 2014, 18:44   #1357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The stock power brick must have blown itself up. You could try asking MS Support for an alternate power brick compatible with the Indian voltage spec and they may offer you one for free out of goodwill. A friend had sourced a bundle from the US while he was on a short trip and MS India provided him with a power brick for free.

This is one of the major issues plaguing Xbox and MS as a whole! When Sony has included the whole power circuitry inside the console (besides being a universal voltage input device), MS still hasn't figured out the universal voltage input aspect! Even the Xbox One has a power brick!

A MS power brick goes for about 3-4k and thereabouts. JFYI.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:04   #1358
BHPian

Thanks the replies.

Have bought a new 3rd party power brick. Finally able to play!

But now run into a new issue ... is it correct that US XBOX can play only NTSC coded games? My 2 free games say NTSC clearly while those in the market were all PAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The stock power brick must have blown itself up. You could try asking MS Support for an alternate power brick compatible with the Indian voltage spec and they may offer you one for free out of goodwill. A friend had sourced a bundle from the US while he was on a short trip and MS India provided him with a power brick for free.

This is one of the major issues plaguing Xbox and MS as a whole! When Sony has included the whole power circuitry inside the console (besides being a universal voltage input device), MS still hasn't figured out the universal voltage input aspect! Even the Xbox One has a power brick!

A MS power brick goes for about 3-4k and thereabouts. JFYI.
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:59   #1359
Team-BHP Support

That's correct. NTSC-U/C denotes the video gaming region for US and Canada. The Xbox purchased from the US will obviously be locked to that region. However, some titles are region free whereas some others are not.

Have a look at the list here - X360 Titles Region Compatibility
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:58   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks the replies.

Have bought a new 3rd party power brick. Finally able to play!

But now run into a new issue ... is it correct that US XBOX can play only NTSC coded games? My 2 free games say NTSC clearly while those in the market were all PAL
You can buy NTSC games in ebay.in, just search for NTSC under games section, price is almost same as PAL.
Old 4th April 2014, 00:34   #1361
BHPian

Buy an XBOX One and don't look back . I have one, and its amazing! I haven't played Titanfall yet but my friend has an extra download code for the game that he will give me, so i will check it out eventually.
Old 5th April 2014, 14:01   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
You can buy NTSC games in ebay.in, just search for NTSC under games section, price is almost same as PAL.
Thanks. I purchased two games to try them on my console

1. NFS Hot Pursuit (PAL): Did not work
2. Midnight Club LA (NTSC): Did not work

Had to return the games to the vendors. <$ucks>
Old 5th April 2014, 20:54   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends,
I am looking to buy a lcd monitor or hd tv or hd lcd projector for my Xbox 360. The graphics are crappy on sdtv. Please advice.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:18   #1364
BHPian

Hi Guys ,

Good Morning , I need some information on gaming consoles . I tried searching on the internet and got too much of information which I couldn't comprehend .

I have few questions , I will really appreciate if any one of you can help me with them . I know my questions are too naive , so please bear with me .

I used to play games on Media Player , Mario , Sparton etc . After that I bought a PS2 which I hardly used . Some hours of Cricket , GTA , Bully etc . After that I gave it away to my nephew as I had any time for playing games .

Recently I realized that couple of hours of gaming can be good stress buster and I am in market for a console again .

Can you guys suggest me which console shall I go for . I have a budget of maximum 20 K .

I will be using this console in Dubai

I usually don't like very "technical" games , I am from Mario , Contra era

I don't intend to do any online gaming

What are the prices of games nowadays

Please help .

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2014 at 13:30. Reason: Mention of piracy
Old 29th April 2014, 22:35   #1365
BHPian

I recommend the XBOX 360 with KINECT. It will exceed your budget by 4-5K but it serves your preimary purpose and has several 'softcore' game titles including a couple usually bundled for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hi Guys ,

Good Morning , I need some information on gaming consoles . I tried searching on the internet and got too much of information which I couldn't comprehend .

I have few questions , I will really appreciate if any one of you can help me with them . I know my questions are too naive , so please bear with me .

I used to play games on Media Player , Mario , Sparton etc . After that I bought a PS2 which I hardly used . Some hours of Cricket , GTA , Bully etc . After that I gave it away to my nephew as I had any time for playing games .

Recently I realized that couple of hours of gaming can be good stress buster and I am in market for a console again .

Can you guys suggest me which console shall I go for . I have a budget of maximum 20 K .

I will be using this console in Dubai

I usually don't like very "technical" games , I am from Mario , Contra era

I don't intend to do any online gaming

What are the prices of games nowadays

Please help .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks