Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2015, 03:08   #1411
BHPian

re: XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles

Folks out there. Am a newbie to this and am planning for a console. What should I buy.

I would mostly use it for Racing Games, Sports Games. No strategy games for me.
Old 5th March 2015, 13:53   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Folks out there. Am a newbie to this and am planning for a console. What should I buy.

I would mostly use it for Racing Games, Sports Games. No strategy games for me.
That's a tough one.

For the PS4. When it come to Racing games, you've got Gran Turismo.
For XBOX ONE. Which is what I've got. You've got Forza Motorsport (Rival series of Gran Turismo) and Forza Horizon.
Sports games wise, it is an even field as games always release for both.

See the other exclusives(Games which only release on one console) like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Halo, Gears of War, etc. Maybe that'll help you make your decision. The reason I got the XBOX is for the exclusives, but I will be getting the PS4 too.

Don't bother about the graphics comparisons, etc, because the difference is too small to even notice.
Old 19th September 2015, 22:46   #1413
BHPian

Need help friends.

I have one Xbox 360 with Kinect 4 GB; was dormant for quite some time. I tried to make the connections today but noticed the following 2 issues -

Kinect, on switching on, does not do a full vertical sweep (like a boot up sequence) and remains stationary and switches from the booting up green light to a red. Xbox console on the TV shows "kinect is not on a level surface" kind of message. Tried everything in the book/internet but couldn't get it working. Quite possible that it may have taken a hard fall/maid while cleaning may have put some more muscle than what was required for a simple wipe and its motor/rotors may be damaged. In a nutshell, it won't start and shows a "red" light meaning something is wrong.

Xbox controller is not switching on either. It's a hardly used one as was always using Kinect motion, but had to lean on it today to get past the boot-up menu. Even this refused to come on. No green light showing trying to connect to Xbox console. Batteries changes to a new Duracell AA but no luck.

So, effectively I have a Xbox 360 that has a non-functional controller and a Kinect that boots up but remains red.

Not sure what to do now; I am ok to get a technician to come and take a look or alternately take it to an authorised/reliable service center anywhere in South delhi/Gurgaon/Faridabad.

Will appreciate any pointers anyone can share. Also, anybody who may have faced similar issues and what it took to fix them, will be helpful too.

Finally, what will a new Kinect and/or a Controller cost when bought new/replaced.

Thank you in anticipation.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 28th September 2015, 15:37   #1414
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I am in market for a gaming console for my son. He has been asking it for quite some time and will be his surprise Birthday gift. I am a novice when it comes to gaming and in confusion which one to go for PS4 or XBOX One.

Between my son is 13 years old and he likes Racing games. I also plan to get introduced to Gaming to kill some time
Old 28th September 2015, 16:56   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Hello Friends,

I am in market for a gaming console for my son. He has been asking it for quite some time and will be his surprise Birthday gift. I am a novice when it comes to gaming and in confusion which one to go for PS4 or XBOX One.

Between my son is 13 years old and he likes Racing games. I also plan to get introduced to Gaming to kill some time
I suggest rather than going for PS4 or Xbox one, go for the previous gen - i.e. PS3 or Xbox Kinect.

Reason being that since your son is new to gaming, it doesn't make much sense to invest in a new console.

Also, you can get second hand PS3 at almost 10k, which i believe will be 1/3rd cost of 4th generation.

PS3 titles are still available in abundence, and will cost you cheaper than PS4 titles as well. So money saved here too.

Just my two cents.
Old 28th September 2015, 17:08   #1416

Quote:
Hello Friends,

I am a novice when it comes to gaming and in confusion which one to go for PS4 or XBOX One.
Hi Vinukm - I would suggest you to check out for PS3 console which is ~23k for a 500 GB model. PS3 has good collection of games. PS4 is expensive than PS3, also the collection is still limited. PS4 games are pretty expensive compared to PS3.
Old 28th September 2015, 17:23   #1417
BHPian

Quote:

I am in market for a gaming console for my son. He has been asking it for quite some time and will be his surprise Birthday gift. ..
My opinion-

If:
1. Funds of 38K for console** are set aside
AND
2. It is a 'birthday surprise'

Then:
TOTALLY get PS4
I have skimmed through the comparison threads, videos, reviews, etc.
You can go through the same & (most definitely) arrive at the same conclusion, that they both are just infinitesimally better or worse than each other!
If I had that budget allocated, I would go for PS4. (I like their exclusives better than Xbox ones')

**NOTE- be aware, that Games for PS4 (over the next year) would cost around 2K+ per game ~ on an average.
The price will eventually come to regular levels of 1~1.5K per game.

I was looking at console for casual gaming.
Almost ordered PS3 for sheer value for money. (new one comes at around 12~15K -- and plenty of game titles!)
But, then, I didn't - as that "phase" just passed.

If you were asking the question - for yourself, I would advise you to pick up PS3, since it's graphics are also really good & at it's price, it is REALLY value-for-money choice.

Only since this is a birthday gift for your son
&
I also would have loved to have such an awesome gift as a kid
I vote for PS4.

EDIT- explaining a little more--

PS3 is at end-of-life phase already.

In 1-2 years, for SURE you will have way more games to select from!
Then onwards, PS3 would be stuck with older games & yesteryear graphics.

PS4 will easily entertain you with all latest games & "current+future" gen graphics for next 5+ years ( at least! )

----------------

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 28th September 2015 at 17:37.
Old 1st October 2015, 14:45   #1418
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions. Finally went for xbox one with Kinect sensor. Total Damages 45K. It was my Son's Decision. Got the Fifa 2015 Game bundled with Console.

There was an offer for 34990 (FIFA 2015 Bundled + 5000 GV (Amazon) + Extra Wireless Controller).

Bought the Kinect Sensor separately, Now in hunt for some Games
Old 1st October 2015, 15:02   #1419
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. Finally went for xbox one with Kinect sensor. Total Damages 45K. It was my Son's Decision. Got the Fifa 2015 Game bundled with Console.

There was an offer for 34990 (FIFA 2015 Bundled + 5000 GV (Amazon) + Extra Wireless Controller).

Bought the Kinect Sensor separately, Now in hunt for some Games
@Venukm: did you buy it online? If yes can you give me the link. I am also looking for a gaming console (PS4\Xbox one). What i found from online videos and article that PS4 is Superior than Xbox One. Initially decided to import from US (will cheaper for pocket) through a colleague who is returning from US, but realized that PS4 console from US will not get warranty from Sony India.
Also came to know that, the PS3 games are not compatible with PS4 where as Xbox 360 games work on Xbox One. Anybody confirm this?
I am still confused to choose either PS4 or Xbox one.
Old 1st October 2015, 15:50   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvo_Petrolhead View Post
Also came to know that, the PS3 games are not compatible with PS4 where as Xbox 360 games work on Xbox One. Anybody confirm this?
Yes, XBOX 360 games will soon be able to work on the XBOX ONE. I say soon, because as of this moment, the games will not work. A system update is expected around Nov/Dec after which most 360 games will be operational on the XBOX ONE.
Old 1st October 2015, 16:08   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, PS3 games will not work on a PS4. PS4 has a different architecture. It you are going for a PS4, you will not regret it. Even though there are not much titles right now for the PS4, it will change in 2016.

Also, please buy from an authorized Sony Center and not from any online retailers. You will have a tough time claiming the warranty in case you run into any trouble. My colleague is facing this issue right now.

Last edited by neutralgrey : 1st October 2015 at 16:10.
Old 1st October 2015, 17:04   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
@Venukm: did you buy it online? If yes can you give me the link. I am also looking for a gaming console (PS4\Xbox one). What i found from online videos and article that PS4 is Superior than Xbox One. Initially decided to import from US (will cheaper for pocket) through a colleague who is returning from US, but realized that PS4 console from US will not get warranty from Sony India.
I Bought it on Amazon. The Gift Voucher Offer was available till yesterday. The controller offer still exists. Even the XBOX One site redirects to Amazon for purchase. Surprised that XBOX One is not available in Croma and Reliance digital.

for Backward compatibility check the official page as well.. Its confirmed.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IN/xbox-one/b...-compatibility

Last edited by vinukm : 1st October 2015 at 17:06.
Old 1st October 2015, 18:15   #1423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveArc View Post
Yes, XBOX 360 games will soon be able to work on the XBOX ONE. I say soon, because as of this moment, the games will not work. A system update is expected around Nov/Dec after which most 360 games will be operational on the XBOX ONE.
Thanks for your reply BraveArc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutralgrey View Post
Yes, PS3 games will not work on a PS4. PS4 has a different architecture. It you are going for a PS4, you will not regret it. Even though there are not much titles right now for the PS4, it will change in 2016.

Also, please buy from an authorized Sony Center and not from any online retailers. You will have a tough time claiming the warranty in case you run into any trouble. My colleague is facing this issue right now.
Thanks for your reply Neutralgrey. I found on Sony India website that few online retailer are authorized for Sony products. But their prices are all nearly close to 40K (Bundle offers). I know one electronic dealer in Pune who usually gives me same or lesser price than online price. I need to check with him. Also waiting for festive season offers.

Quote:
I Bought it on Amazon. The Gift Voucher Offer was available till yesterday. The controller offer still exists. Even the XBOX One site redirects to Amazon for purchase. Surprised that XBOX One is not available in Croma and Reliance digital.

for Backward compatibility check the official page as well.. Its confirmed.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IN/xbox-one/b...-compatibility
Thanks for your confirmation Vinukm. Did you tried the xbox kinect ? How easy it for your kids.
Old 1st October 2015, 19:40   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply BraveArc.

Thanks for your confirmation Vinukm. Did you tried the xbox kinect ? How easy it for your kids.
Placed the Order yesterday and yet to get it delivered. Will let you know the feedback soon .
Old 1st October 2015, 19:49   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here playing multiplayer games on either xbox one or PS4 ? We have a bunch of indians who play online every night, For games like gears of war ultimate edition, Driveclub, Titanfall, Fifa 16 etc,

Feel free to add me : xIACIDICBRATIx

My Gamertag is the same for both xbox one and ps4.

Most Viewed