Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 16:57   #1576
BHPian

Re: XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles

Those waiting on the fence to buy a Series S, Microsoft India is offering 8 months of game pass for 1 month's price only. This is exclusive to India, reportedly because of the new RBI mandates regarding standing instructions for card payments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePas...7_months_free/

Existing game pass holders might also have got their validity extended by 7 months, but I am not sure.

At Rs. 825 (Ultimate, with GST) for 8 months validity, the savings for 7 months brings the console price effectively down to US price of $299 converted + GST, so in a way addresses the original problem of Indian prices being much higher than US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
my spouse would like to play a few local multiplayer/local co-op games with me using the second controller.

I guess local coop means that two players using two controllers play in tandem on the same console
Try the Divinity Original Sin series, it is a turn-based isometric RPG inspired from Dungeons and Dragons but goes soft on the rules, making it more enjoyable. But not for the impatient.

https://www.xbox.com/en-in/games/sto...n/BPNSJSZCRPPF
https://www.xbox.com/en-IN/games/sto...n/BW8PVL4CJ2Q6
Old 9th November 2021, 09:19   #1577
BHPian

Hi All,

I am not a gammer and last video game I ever played was Need for Speed 3. This time though it is my daughter's 10th birthday and I want to gift her a gamming console. I have confusion between Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series S.

She spends a lot of time playing Roblox, Minecraft. I want her to move away from the laptop and mobile. With the gaming consoles I think I can restrict her to specific hours in a day for screen time.

I have selected these 2 devices plainly because they cost around same i.e. ~$550 here.

My requirements are:
1. Good performance
2. Access to free games without having to spend much on games - at least for next 5 to 6 months.

Any ideas and suggestions from gamers and alike is highly appreciated.

Cheers!!
CK
Old 9th November 2021, 09:54   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Hi All,

She spends a lot of time playing Roblox, Minecraft.

My requirements are:
1. Good performance
2. Access to free games without having to spend much on games - at least for next 5 to 6 months.

Cheers!!
CK
You should eliminate Nintendo Switch immediately because the games you really want are all $60 per title (eg: all of Nintendo’s own games such as Mario Odyssey).

Series S it is for you but do get Xbox Game Pass with it. It’s like Netflix for games, so you get a lot of games to choose from, for a small subscription fee. Game Pass costs around $10 per month but depending on your region you get better deals. In India right now you get 8 months of Game Pass free if you buy one month.

There are ways to get it for cheaper than usual too. You can buy an Xbox Live Gold subscription (which normally gives you access to multiplayer gaming + two free games per month as long as you’re subscribed) and convert it to Game Pass.

Live Gold is cheaper than Game Pass so the deal is awesome. Full steps for that are given here https://reddit.com/r/xbox/comments/n...get_game_pass/

You should know that the Series S just has 512GB of storage. That’s basically 4-6 games if you ever install top mainstream games such as Call of Duty etc. You can expand storage but it’s usually expensive or inconvenient. In your case it won’t matter because your daughter plays only Minecraft or Roblox.

Also updates are huge on consoles. I hope you don’t have a small data pack. Consoles can download double digit GBs of updates every week or two depending on your timing.
Crow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:36   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
.... plays only Minecraft or Roblox.
@Crow, I am in a similar situation. My son also plays only Minecraft and Roblox.
But my intention is to buy PS4 Slim 500GB since I will also be using it.
Is PS4 good to go mainly for Minecraft and Roblox?
Old 9th November 2021, 10:41   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
@Crow, I am in a similar situation. My son also plays only Minecraft and Roblox.
But my intention is to buy PS4 Slim 500GB since I will also be using it.
Is PS4 good to go mainly for Minecraft and Roblox?
Yes, as long as those games are available on PS4, it’ll run them with no issues. Those two games are designed to run on lightweight machines, so a previous generation console will definitely not be an obstacle.
Crow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 04:45   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Live Gold is cheaper than Game Pass so the deal is awesome. Full steps for that are given here https://reddit.com/r/xbox/comments/n...get_game_pass/

Bro, I am about to buy Xbox Series S Plus an additional controller. I wanted to buy Series X, however it is not available any where here. I think I can add an extra storage card to the Series S in the future.

I do have a doubt regarding Game Pass. I came across Xbox live Gold 12 month subscription at a good price compared to regular 3 month Game pass.

Can I just start playing with my Xbox and Live Gold subscription or would I need an additional Game Pass?

Do I need to buy separate game pass to enjoy EA games?
Old 25th November 2021, 07:11   #1582
Distinguished - BHPian

Live gold only allows you to play online and gives you two free games a month. You need gamepass to access the gamepass library, EA pass is included as a part of gamepass.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 04:52   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Live gold only allows you to play online and gives you two free games a month. You need gamepass to access the gamepass library, EA pass is included as a part of gamepass.
Thanks for replying. I finally brought Xbox Series S and an additional controller
. I also subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate and downloaded a few games. Do I need an active subscription to continue playing the games that I have downloaded and I am playing.

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-img20211125184903.jpg
Mr.Ogre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 12:33   #1584
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, Yes active subscription is needed to play game pass games, it’s like Netflix in simple terms, you rent games and not own them.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 17:49   #1585
BHPian

Hi all,

Does anyone know when the next pre-order for PS5 Digital is going to be?
I have missed the previous one which happened on December 6th.

Or is there any other way to get one's hands-on a PS5 other than booking online in Hyderabad & avoiding scalpers?

Thanks,
Neo
Old 16th January 2022, 21:23   #1586
BHPian

Thinking of getting back to gaming after a long hiatus.
Any tips on securing one on upcoming restock?
Also, any genuine vendor in bangalore who stocks the units?
Old 16th January 2022, 21:34   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Thinking of getting back to gaming after a long hiatus.
Any tips on securing one on upcoming restock?
Also, any genuine vendor in bangalore who stocks the units?
Very tough these days to get the new consoles, there is no ready stock and what comes online gets sold in minutes. Which console are you looking for PS5 or Xbox series X.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:16   #1588
BHPian

Oops. Sorry to mention that.
It has to be Ps5. The next drop is tomorrow. Let's see how it pans out.
Old 17th January 2022, 10:21   #1589
Senior - BHPian

I got a used Xbox Series S for my son for Christmas. He was moving up from a relic PS3. I've played around with the console a bit and boy oh boy, the graphics and quality of gameplay are a significant step up from the old console. Its to the point where I am wondering what else can one gain from a Series X from most existing game titles!

Setup needs some attention, if you are new to modern consoles. I setup the first account as my Son. For some bizarre reason, my sons xbox account linked and even took over a local Windows user account on our laptop. Talk about the quirks of how some Microsoft things work! Its rather annoying to install and sometimes play a game itself cause it prompts that my son isn't authorized for multi player. I did manage to get it going but the overall process is a bit of a headache, if you have not set it up right. Its like you install a game and spend the next half an hour getting it to run due to all the permissions and Microsoft Family Settings coming in the way. I guess I should have set up my account first and then my son's so it treats him as secondary.

Another thing to consider, if you can wait for a Series X, that is sort of a better deal as you get more storage by default. What I realized after buying the Series S is that if you want to expand storage that can directly run game play, those Seagate plugin thingy's cost quite a bit and to the point where you'd equal (maybe exceed) the price of a Series X. Something to keep in mind.

Series X units are coming up on shelves from time to time but stores in my part of the world do not necessarily report on their website that they have it. My neighbor happened to walk into our local game store called EB Games and they had one unit of the Series X. Price was not marked up either. He got it for a little over $800.

All said and done, the Series S is one heck of a good console and good enough for most folks. It runs quiet too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 17th January 2022 at 10:27.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:36   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Oops. Sorry to mention that.
It has to be Ps5. The next drop is tomorrow. Let's see how it pans out.
Where do these drops happen?

If it is flipkart, I have seen them sell out in less than a minute. I guess the scalpers are out in force on such days.

Most Viewed