Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 14.99%
Netscape 4 0.54%
Mozilla Firefox 363 49.46%
Opera 63 8.58%
Apple Safari 28 3.81%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 144 19.62%
Any other?? Please specify 22 3.00%
Voters: 734. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2004, 12:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, revv, GTO.... u guys can use Firefox for gmail... and also sites that open only in IE. Firefox has an extension that enables it to act as IE and fools all those sites that refuse to open in any browser other than IE
Old 18th November 2004, 14:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]so I just tried out firefox. Its not too bad, but I don't see any advantages over what I'm currently using.
The advantage is NOT the list of features - the ubiquitous tabbed browsing and popup blocking ability - but in the security. Like I mentioned before, there are more spyware trojans and worms doing the rounds these days than virii, and 90% of these come from an unsecured Internet Explorer. Even after you apply the latest service packs and disable all ActiveX etc, there are still enough holes in the browser to sink an entire ship. This is not to say that Firefox has NONE, but as of now all the known holes have been patched within 2 hours of being discovered. There is NO way that spyware can creep in via Firefox, since they all employ the holes in Internet Explorer to proliferate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Firefox has an extension that enables it to act as IE and fools all those sites that refuse to open in any browser other than IE
There are very very few sites that may not open in Firefox, and with a few more versions (1.1 or 1.2) they all will work fine. Till date, personally I've come across only five or six sites that didn't work in Fox, but they were all content-less badly designed company webpages so I really didn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Hey GTO, i have heard that Opera users are not able to open gmail. Is that true? I think its somethin to do with Opera not supporting ActiveX as its not free source.
Gmail is an extremely intricate and complicated JavaScript/DHTML application which requires 100% JavaScript and DHTML standards compliance to run properly. Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape (essentially the same) and Internet Explorer are the only browsers (on Windows) that offer full compliance. Hence, they are the only ones that Gmail works on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]RTech, well, i had a look at the CrazyBrowser website. The browser is quite similar to FireFox and feature-wise, there isnt much to separate the two . But IMHO, the only point where FireFox takes the lead would be the support for FireFox. FF is backed by the Open Source community, which ensures that if ever there is an attack on the FireFox browser, a fix would be made available even before the attack reaches you.

Currently, the main reason that these browsers, like FF, CrazyBrowser etc are free from attacks is that their users are very less in number and hackers just dont see it worth their effort to write worms/virii for these browsers yet. But once the use of these browsers reaches a certain mass, be sure that the hackers will turn their attention towards these browsers. And thats when the Open Source backing for FireFox will come in handy.
True, that's very well put!

- Aalaap
Old 18th November 2004, 14:37   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Firefox has an extension that enables it to act as IE and fools all those sites that refuse to open in any browser other than IE
Ditto with Opera

GTO
Old 18th November 2004, 14:54   #34
F50
Senior - BHPian

Im currently using something called Avant Browser but I love IE
Im dloading Firefox let me check it out and then I ll give my vote in poll
Old 18th November 2004, 16:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

just downloaded firefix, didn't like it much though and was a little slower to access pages than IE..........so I prefer good old {new} Internet Explorer
will try downloading Opera and post again..........
Old 18th November 2004, 19:02   #36
BHPian

Avant Browser, Maxthon/MyIE2, CrazyBrowser are merely "shells" that add-on extra features, namely tabs and popup blocking and a host of other features, to underlying Internet Explorer. Think of them as a DC kit for your car. Same engine and everything, just a different body with some more round lights and black assembly Just like these mods don't necessarily make the car faster, the browser shells don't make IE any more secure than it already is.

When you use IE or anything IE-based, you're still walking in a minefield with heavy shoes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]just downloaded firefix, didn't like it much though and was a little slower to access pages than IE
There is great disparity between opinions about the speed. Firefox developers (and many supporters) claim that page rendering is actually much faster than IE's, while a lot of people (like you apparently) claim its the other way round. But what you need to note here is the usage of the term "page rendering" rather than "page loading". Page rendering means how fast a loaded HTML page can be displayed with all elements in place to the user. The perfect comparison for this can only happen when the page you're trying to check is fed to both the browsers at the exact same speed. Try it out - Save a .HTML file (with sufficient tables and other complex elements) to your deskop, and then open that with IE first, and then Firefox, and see if you find any difference.

Personally, I see no point in page rendering speed, as it our mightly BROAD band connections are the real bottleneck anyway.

- Aalaap

Old 18th November 2004, 19:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aalaap @ Nov. 18 2004,16:32)]When you use IE or anything IE-based, you're still walking in a minefield with heavy shoes on.
thats very nicely put!! Aalaap! *i hope i got ur name right this time... sorry about the earlier typo*
Old 18th November 2004, 19:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

No doubt that Firefox is a great browser but still fails to load some of the websites efficiently which are designed for IE. Still I love firefox very much for its great features like live bookmarking, etc. .Currently I use Maxthon browser(formerly MYIE2) based on IE and also Firefox.
Old 18th November 2004, 23:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Firefox is a great browser but still fails to load some of the websites efficiently which are designed for IE.
You pretty much answered your question right there - if you design a site using IE specific features and tags, its obvioulsy not going to render on Firefox, or any other browser for that matter.

Formula 1 tracks are custom designed for those cars to ply on. You take a regular city car on that track and u'll slide all the way to the billboards .. Would you still blame it on the car?

- Aalaap
Old 19th November 2004, 02:15   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Formula 1 tracks are custom designed for those cars to ply on. You take a regular city car on that track and u'll slide all the way to the billboards .. Would you still blame it on the car?
Bad analogy, but I think you had me with the DC kit statement ther aalaap!! I'm gonna try and use firefox exclusivly for a few weeks now!

RT

P.S> Are you sure you're not a salesman???
Old 19th November 2004, 14:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Bad analogy...
HAh.. I knew it wouldn't go down too well with you guys. But anyways I guess I made my point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]..but I think you had me with the DC kit statement ther aalaap!! I'm gonna try and use firefox exclusivly for a few weeks now!
Aha! So it did work

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]P.S> Are you sure you're not a salesman???
Hahahah no way I'm not a sales/marketing guy. When it comes to actually "selling" something to someone, I just can't do it. But when it comes to computers and software, I thoroughly know my s**t !

- Aalaap
Old 22nd November 2004, 04:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
Well in my case im using the top 3.
IE,Mozilla and Opera.
Find all of em good for thier respective usage,but prefer IE over Mozilla and Opera.So thats exactly wot i votes for.

X
Old 25th June 2005, 15:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

i use both internet explorer and mozilla firefox and they both are good in their own way.pages load a little faster on internet explorer and mozilla cant open some sites but with mozilla nothing keeps poping up time and again and that happens very often when i use internet explorer.

Rev
Old 25th June 2005, 15:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Its Firefox fo me too..
Old 25th June 2005, 15:34   #45
BHPian

i use only IE on windows....though firefox is good....but i know IE better..and more and more browsers tend to make the system cluttery.....

so..IE for windows..
n FIREFOX for fedora

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks