Team-BHP - Internet Browsers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Internet Browsers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/1608-internet-browsers-45.html)

I've been using the Brave browser since last 2 months. It is built on top of Chromium. Has built-in ad-blocker which blocks most of the auto-play ads, videos (including FB videos), so kinda faster than most browsers. Pretty cool so far. Websites are loading perceptibly faster.

P.S:- If you start using the 1.1.1.1 DNS servers along with Brave browser, you will see the websites loading much faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat (Post 4542881)
I've been using the Brave browser since last 2 months

Been on Brave for nearly four and half months. Hope to continue using it; the following numbers give me some good reasons to!

Do check the settings of brave browser.

It does send statistics or data back to developers. That was the last time I checked a year back

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 4542910)
Been on Brave for nearly four and half months. Hope to continue using it; the following numbers give me some good reasons to!

The only downside is that some (very few) websites wouldn't load properly. Eg:- I have to switch over to Chrome or FF to load my Simplilearn classes (the 'Shields Down' didn't work).

Another huge plus of Brave is that it has a privacy-mode with Tor, which means you can browse the dark web with the same browser or visit websites that are blocked without using a VPN.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 4543081)
Do check the settings of brave browser.

It does send statistics or data back to developers. That was the last time I checked a year back

By default most browsers do send performance data to the vendor. Firefox does. The closest I saw in Brave is an 'Automatically send crash reports to Brave' which you can disable. Chrome has the option listed as 'Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google'. So, I guess Brave is less intrusive.

After being beaten badly by Google in the browser market, Microsoft is back in new Avatar, this time in the avatar of Chrome itself :) (built from Chromium project). BTW, the output is quite impressive.

The new Microsoft Edge browser : https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

It seems that Edge will even be available for Linux. Not that I want it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdivy (Post 4692707)
After being beaten badly by Google in the browser market, Microsoft is back in new Avatar, this time in the avatar of Chrome itself :) (built from Chromium project). BTW, the output is quite impressive.

The new Microsoft Edge browser : https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

I had installed the new Edge in my office mac since last 1 week and it is blazing fast and super stable. Just installed the same in personal MBP now, noticed the new avatar first in my wifee's laptop and was mighty impressed with the speeds on the windows laptop.

Recommended!

Edge also works much smoother on Android than Chrome, which seems to stutter and occasionally freeze these days while browsing the forum, which annoyed me no end.

I switched my phone's default browser to Edge, and no complaints yet.

15th June 2022 - The Internet Explorer desktop application will be retired and will go out of support. This browser once commanded 90%+ market share (the early 2000s). Started in 1995 and ended in 2022 (27 years). Went from version 1 to 11.

Link: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...icrosoft-edge/

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdivy (Post 5337448)
Started in 1995 and ended in 2022 (27 years). Went from version 1 to 11.

When it first came, most of us didn't switch over. That was because Netscape was way superior, and it even had a email client for managing email. However, since IE came bundled with Windows, most people just stuck to the first browser they came across and never really bothered to download a much better Netscape. Few years later, in a moment of insanity, AOL bought Netscape and then the whole thing fell apart. Once AOL bought it, even the most loyal users left.

I was never sure what became of Netscape, but had an idea that it evolved into Mozilla/Firefox. Is that totally wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5337479)
I was never sure what became of Netscape, but had an idea that it evolved into Mozilla/Firefox. Is that totally wrong?

I think the origins of Mozilla can be traced to Netscape, but I am not sure if the codebase has any link to their first browser called Navigator.

I was looking at the poll options in this thread - it calls Chrome as the "new kid on the block" - funny because I bid farewell to Chrome a couple of years ago and switched to Brave. Even though what is under the hood remains the same, I am no longer a user of the Chrome browser.

Try the Wayback machine if you want to rekindle the memories of some of those old websites browsed using Netscape Navigator. :)

Anyone here remembers Lynx?
Anyone here still uses Lynx?

I recollect countless hours spent at university "text-only" computer terminal since GUI based ones were always occupied with a long wait list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 5337490)
Anyone here still uses Lynx?

I recollect countless hours spent at university "text-only" computer terminal since GUI based ones were always occupied with a long wait list.

I remember Lynx. I think I last used was about 5 years ago when using shell of a linux terminal

Voted Firefox.

Started off with Lynx as a fresher in an engineering college. Once I got access to department labs and the workstations therein (upgrade from dumb terminals in computer room) progressed to Mosaic. Don't think many people know of this ancient browser.

Netscape came next, and after they went bust moved to Mozilla and then in a very idealistic moment, to Firefox. When Chrome was launched shifted due to its supposedly superior performance but now, with increased awareness and fear of Google's data machine, have returned to Firefox.

There have been brief periods of Opera and Konqueror also in between. But today I live with all the quirks of Firefox and have sworn off all other browsers with corporate affiliations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 5337490)

See above. Along with Lynx I have used ELinks and during a period of time I swore by Emacs, I have used W3 also - I suppose not many people can claim this feat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5337479)

The Netscape source code seeded the Mozilla project I believe. The project released an eponymous browser and an email client called Thunderbird (and maybe a few other products). Firefox was created by a breakaway faction from the Mozilla team, who thought the latter was getting too bloated. Eventually Mozilla abandoned the browser effort and adopted Firefox as its flagship one.