Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 16:43   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Goodness!

OK, I'll photo-document the build

On another note, I see that my processor temperatures seem to be rising steadily, which is probably an indicator of how long since I cleared the dust out.
that be a good idea. you might want to clean the fan blades thoroughly. if the temperature don't fall after the cleaning, you might want to apply new paste for the heatsink.

one thing i've noticed people doing is get all the hi-fi parts, but then buy a crappy cabinet with little or no ventilation. this can also cause the motherboard and processor temperatures to rise and eventually fail. time and again i've told people (who come to me to build their PC) to get a decent cabinet, but nobody listens.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:53   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that be a good idea. you might want to clean the fan blades thoroughly. if the temperature don't fall after the cleaning, you might want to apply new paste for the heatsink.

one thing i've noticed people doing is get all the hi-fi parts, but then buy a crappy cabinet with little or no ventilation. this can also cause the motherboard and processor temperatures to rise and eventually fail. time and again i've told people (who come to me to build their PC) to get a decent cabinet, but nobody listens.
Not only the fan blades but the heat sink fins. My graphics card fried and on opening I discovered all the fins jammed with dust.

On any cabinet you should have fans on both the sides as well as at the rear. The side fans blow in and the rear ones extract. For my HDD I have a hot swap SATA cage, which has two fans extracting the air. If you have only one fan, normally on the PS, put you hand and check how hot the air is. If it feels hot, then you definitely need more air flow.
Old 5th November 2010, 21:47   #1608
Senior - BHPian

original post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2112509-post36.htm

all assembling & all installations are done by me DIY way. (also dual 450w PSU's)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
here is my set up.

dell 22" + LG 22"
  • intel core 2 quad Q8400 2.6GHz
  • asus p5ql pro
  • asus en9400gt 1gb hdmi
  • hp 4gb ddr2 800 mhz
  • seagate 500gb sata
  • samsung 500GB sata
  • lg dvd rw
  • pixel-view tv tuner card
dell on VGA port & lg on DVI (using DVI to VGA) port.
right now i have following software's.
  • OS- xp
  • NFS shift
  • NFS carbon
  • NFS mostwanted
  • burnout paradise
  • prostreet
  • fuel
  • dirt 2
  • photoshop cs4
  • coreldraw x3
  • audtocad 2010
  • 3ds max 2010
  • nod32 antivirus

Old 10th November 2010, 19:06   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone recommend a good X58 motherboard (not the pricey ones like EVGA Classified) with good warranty? Need USB 3.0 and SLI slots (not 3 or 4 way SLI). Also, Black and Red theme preffered

Also, can anyone tell me the cost of Asus Rampage III Formula?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 10th November 2010 at 19:10.
Old 10th November 2010, 21:11   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Can anyone recommend a good X58 motherboard (not the pricey ones like EVGA Classified) with good warranty? Need USB 3.0 and SLI slots (not 3 or 4 way SLI). Also, Black and Red theme preffered

Rampage III Formula costs $300 in US.

Here's a list of Mobos.

http://techshop.in/store/motherboard...320_21_30.html

Just choose X58 in there to see all motherboards.

Check the specs, and if they fit your requirement, google for the motherboard. If there's some issue with that model, you'll get many forums with people complaining against the board.

If small amount of such results appear, it's a safe buy.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:39   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

At this moment in time, perhaps you should go for the newer spec USB 3.0 and 6 gb/s. Of course that will not be useful for some time, but if you plan on buying a Rs. 10K+ motherboard, might as well as buy this.

X58 To The Max: Three New Flagship LGA 1366 Motherboards : More Power!

X58 In 2010: Four LGA 1366 Boards With USB 3.0 And SATA 6Gb/s : Being Well-Connected

USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks : Why PCI Express 2.0 Matters

I do have a MSI X58M with core i7-920. USB 3.0/6gbper sec. is useful but to get to use it better, you need more expensive hardware too (SSDs, etc). Still this spec is more future proof and required if you spend on an expensive motherboard. As to USB 3.0, I find a better solution in internal SATA hard disk in a Transcend enclosure connected to PC through an eSATA. Gives transfer rates of 90-100 compared with 30-40 for USB 2.0. Cost is Rs. 1600-1800 for a Transcend 3.5' SATA encl. and say 3000-3500 for a 1TB HDD 7200.11 and 4000-4500 for a 1.5 TB HDD.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:50   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Thanks anku94 and vasudeva Have shortlisted the Asus P6 series. Lets see how it goes.
Old 15th November 2010, 19:45   #1613
BANNED

Considering a 17 to 20 inch flat monitor as replacement, for my desktop PC.

Any suggestions? I can see LG's LED monitors listed at around 8.5K. Any reviews?
Old 15th November 2010, 21:22   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Any suggestions? I can see LG's LED monitors listed at around 8.5K. Any reviews?
if budget is your criteria, then ok. else don't even consider these low priced monitors - most of them won't have DVI and even if they do have, the contrast ratio will be pathetic at most.

if quality matters, i'd invest in a Dell 24" LCD with full HD available for 13k. i'm planning to buy that (if my wifey allows). i'm not crazy about LED - i've a laptop which has HD LED screen and i don't see any difference.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:45   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

You can try this 23" LG W2343T LCD Monitor - 23" Class widescreen Monitor (23" Diagonal) - LG Electronics IN

or this 23" monitor+TV LG M237WAP LCD Monitor - 23" Widescreen Multi-Function LCD Monitor/TV (23.0" diagonal) - LG Electronics IN. I have this monitor and it is excellent. An added advantage is that it has a host of I/O and can be used with TV, Computer, PS3 etc.

Both are around 12.5K.
Old 16th November 2010, 13:36   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Dell Vostro 430

New Dell Vostro 430 has arrived.

Spec

Intel Core i5-760 Processor (2.80GHz, 8MB, Turbo up to 3.2GHz)

1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT220

4GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM

16x DVD+/- RW drive

500GB SATA Hard Drive

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Full HD 1080p Monitor - 70,000:1 CR

Regards

Vinu
Old 16th November 2010, 15:53   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if budget is your criteria, then ok. else don't even consider these low priced monitors - most of them won't have DVI and even if they do have, the contrast ratio will be pathetic at most.

if quality matters, i'd invest in a Dell 24" LCD with full HD available for 13k. i'm planning to buy that (if my wifey allows). i'm not crazy about LED - i've a laptop which has HD LED screen and i don't see any difference.
To replace my Viewsonic 19 inch, I had bought a Dell 2210 LCD in March 2010. It was totally business class with an extremely dull display, and characters appeared torn out. No deep black characters like in a Viewsonic. For example, if one typed Windows 7, one could see the dots in it on Dell display. Got it changed after 2 days for a Samsung Syncmaster 23. Did lose out on Rs. 4000 but simply could not stand the Dell display. Although it takes some adjusting to, Samsung's display has been a lot better than Dell, but Viewsonic had a better display. As screen sizes increases, a pathetic display makes an even larger difference.

Last edited by vasudeva : 16th November 2010 at 15:54.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:17   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got it changed after 2 days for a Samsung Syncmaster 23.
Syncmaster T220 here: 22-inch, about 13,000 a year or so ago.

No complaints, except for most of my black-on-white viewing, which is sites like this, it is too bright if adjusted for photo viewing. My ancient NEC CRT was always a good compromise.

I've heard of high-end Dell monitors being used in graphics studios, but the cost is very, very much more.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:36   #1619
Senior - BHPian

I've heard of high-end Dell monitors being used in graphics studios, but the cost is very, very much more.[/quote]

Must be the UltraSharp Ones which cost nearly double than the regular ones for the same size. After seeing the Dell regular one, I lost trust in Dell, and was in no mood to shell out so much extra for an UltraSharp, and not be satisfied. I simply do not know why their displays get such high ratings if they cannot produce even satisfactory blacks.

Viewsonics used to be excellent, but I do not know much about the current lineup (Viewsonic marketing and distro is not as it used to be). That left Samsung Syncmaster. I got a 2350 or 2370 with that red border. In windows 7 and even otherwise, configuring it is a bit hard but if you get it right, the results are great. Plus, the display is somewhat more sensitive to ambient brightness and viewing angle (more than Viewsonic 1945 which I had from late 2007 to early 2010), and so the sharpness and clarity varies somewhat during the entire day. Overall, a great LCD but definitely involves some work with display, NVIDIA, and colour management in windows 7.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:40   #1620
BANNED

Thanks guys for the advice; the problem is, anything bigger than 10K will be vetoed by the finance department.

Anything bigger than 21 inch may not be accommodated on the table. (my table is worse than peak hour city traffic).

And 23 inches is too small for the TV I want, and too big for a desktop monitor. I will however keep an open mind.

Another question, does any of the monitors available in the market have stands which will mount it in "portrait mode"? My OS can change the display from landscape to portrait on the fly, so just click the button, and rotate the screen is an absolute convenience I would love to have.

I do a lot of word processing, and will appreciate if I can view a full page at time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks