Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 11:19   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Actually, I just found a bunch of BIOS settings that control a lot of the CPU and Fan properties. I have fiddled with a few and the fans are now quite silent running at a slightly slower speed.
Most BIOS have a fan speed setting, which ensures that the fan speed maintains the temparature. In my case I notice that at power on the fans go full blast, and after the diagnostics, they slow down. In case the temparature goes up they speed up. I always keep a note of the fan speed and switch the AC on when the fans start blowing full blast.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:47   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

My CPU fan is under mother-board control. The case fans (Antec Tricool) simply have three speed settings. Currently, both are set to medium, which is ok. I'd like to experiment with low, but do I trust Ubuntu's temperature applet to let me know in good time before something fries!

Ubuntu not-so-goods... I want to set up Samba, so my wife can access directories on my machine. I've done this, years back, with forty Windows users and multiple directories on AIX (IBM Unix) machines and it was simple. Not so now!
Old 1st December 2010, 12:53   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
The new pc's specs are:
  • AMD Phenom X6 1055T CPU
  • Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 motherboard (AMD880G chipset with upto 16GB RAM support)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD
  • 8 GB (4x2GB) Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM
  • NVIDIA 1GB 8400GS Graphic card
  • Coolermaster 350W SMPS fitted into a nice looking regular case with 2 fans
  • MS KB/mouse & basic Creative speakers.
So much of high-end stuff but I think with this kind of spending (and your clear purchase preference for better stuff) you should have bought a different HDD. As far as I know, Seagate 2 TB is Barracuda LP which is 5900 rpm and slower than conventional 7200 rpm. Seagate's 7200 rpm conventional drives top out at 1.5 TB. Anyway, Barracuda LP is a great drive for storage but a decent one for running the OS. Perhaps your future purchase should include a SSD or at least a WD Caviar Black conventional HDD. Failing that, would you consider at least a Seagate 1 TB (model no: ST31000528AS). This should cost you Rs. 3-3.5K, with Caviar Black 1 TB (1002FAEX) retailing for around Rs. 5-6K, and 2TB Caviar Black (2001FASS) for Rs. 8-9 K. Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB (most likely the HDD in your system) would be around Rs. 5-6K.

In conventional HDDs, perhaps the WD Caviar Blacks are much faster, with 1 TB one being perhaps 7-8% than Seagate's 1 TB, and Caviar Black 2 TB being even 10% faster than Caviar Black 1TB. In fact, Caviar Black 2 TB even outperforms the Velociraptor in many situations. I have experienced this personally with 2 TB Black for my main HDD, and 1TB as a secondary drive (for imaging and restoring).

Last edited by vasudeva : 1st December 2010 at 13:05.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:09   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Pardon me, but Seagate does have a 2TB HDD spinning at 7200 rpm but which is the Barracuda XT (ST32000641AS) retailing at around Rs. 8-10K. Did check that when was shopping for a 2TB, but bought a Caviar Black 2TB instead. This Seagate 2TB is a performance drive and competes with Caviar Black.

Old 1st December 2010, 19:50   #1655
Distinguished - BHPian

I just bought a WD Caviar Green 500Mb.

My priority was not speed, it was having a blank disk to start a brand-new installation on, without spending too much, but also without having a disk too small to be useful in the future. By extending the budget further, I could have gone for the faster SATA standard, as the MB supports it.

One aspect of faster-rotation drives is more noise. If a database app takes priority over listening to music, then that's ok.

Seagate seems to have the poorer reputation, but I have two internals and an external that have given two to three year's service so far without trouble.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:29   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

One aspect of faster-rotation drives is more noise. If a database app takes priority over listening to music, then that's ok.

Seagate seems to have the poorer reputation, but I have two internals and an external that have given two to three year's service so far without trouble.
Could be noisier but I do not feel it at all. Caviar Blacks are not that noisy. Of course, SSDs are great, but the cost is like in 5 digit for a decent size of 60 GB.
It seems from recent industry expectations that SSDs will hit US$1/GB only after another 2-3 years. I do have a Caviar Green 1 TB but that is for movie storage and is out of my system for the time being (use it sometime either thru esata or internal).
Seagate had a bad rep. only because of that 7200.11 firmware mess. I have had no problems with Seagate and in fact their 1 TB 7200.12 is quite a match for the WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Barracuda XT 2TB seems to lag Caviar Black 2 TB.

As to noise, I think it is overestimated.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:51   #1657
Senior - BHPian

[quote=vasudeva;2159844]Could be noisier but I do not feel it at all. Caviar Blacks are not that noisy. Of course, SSDs are great, but the cost is like in 5 digit for a decent size of 60 GB.
It seems from recent industry expectations that SSDs will hit US$1/GB only after another 2-3 years. I do have a Caviar Green 1 TB but that is for movie storage and is out of my system for the time being (use it sometime either thru esata or internal).
Seagate had a bad rep. only because of that 7200.11 firmware mess. I have had no problems with Seagate and in fact their 1 TB 7200.12 is quite a match for the WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Barracuda XT 2TB seems to lag Caviar Black 2 TB.

As to noise, I think it is overestimated and could be an issue if you put your ear to the box. I have 5 HDDs in my PC and it is definitely not an issue. Plus, for me, the PC is for computing and rarely for music and video.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:14   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
So much of high-end stuff but I think with this kind of spending (and your clear purchase preference for better stuff) you should have bought a different HDD. As far as I know, Seagate 2 TB is Barracuda LP which is 5900 rpm and slower than conventional 7200 rpm. Seagate's 7200 rpm conventional drives top out at 1.5 TB. Anyway, Barracuda LP is a great drive for storage but a decent one for running the OS. Perhaps your future purchase should include a SSD or at least a WD Caviar Black conventional HDD. Failing that, would you consider at least a Seagate 1 TB (model no: ST31000528AS). This should cost you Rs. 3-3.5K, with Caviar Black 1 TB (1002FAEX) retailing for around Rs. 5-6K, and 2TB Caviar Black (2001FASS) for Rs. 8-9 K. Seagate Barracuda LP 2 TB (most likely the HDD in your system) would be around Rs. 5-6K.

In conventional HDDs, perhaps the WD Caviar Blacks are much faster, with 1 TB one being perhaps 7-8% than Seagate's 1 TB, and Caviar Black 2 TB being even 10% faster than Caviar Black 1TB. In fact, Caviar Black 2 TB even outperforms the Velociraptor in many situations. I have experienced this personally with 2 TB Black for my main HDD, and 1TB as a secondary drive (for imaging and restoring).
Ah ok, I never even imagined going for a 2TB might mean a lower speed, I was comfortably assuming a 7200 RPM and WD was not available on the day either. Further Seagate was good on my earlier systems, lasting years of ruthless use - so I had no qualms about picking it up.

SSDs as you mentioned are way too expensive and support limited cycles - so not an option for me, at least now. Also, the WD Black seems to be at the next price point to the Seagate I bought.

I checked the disk and it is indeed 5900 RPM (ST32000542AS). Do you believe WD Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EARS) would have an edge over Seagate Barracuda Green ST32000542AS? I am unable to find the RPM specification for the WD model.

Thanks for your help.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:01   #1659
Senior - BHPian

I think the Barracuda LP you have purchased is a good HD and so you should not be too anxious. You should not be too worried. I was only advising that perhaps when you next buy a HDD, buy the ones noted in my first post on this matter, and keep your C: on that. That 5900rpm drive only seemed out of sync with your other hardware. Caviar Green 1 TB-2TB rpm is not advertised but it is targeted as green, low power and has been noted at 5400 rpm by almost all reputed reviewers. Stick with your Barracuda LP but if you bought it new from a reputed person, you can consider a replacement. In Sep, I got a Constellation ES, which was slow in writing as compared with Seagate 1 TB 7200.12 and got it changed to CB 1 TB within 2 days.

Black availability in India is limited and expensive. I bought a 1 TB CB in India for 7.5K. Got a 2TB Black in Oct for 8.5K (my brother was coming from London and he bought it for me from amazon). In India, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 528AS 1 TB is a very good choice (do not buy the 7200.11 540AS even if available) and priced at around 3-3.5K. Even a 500 GB Seagate 7200.12 518AS is very good but to replace your 2 TB in the future, you should buy a 1TB one. Note that usually in later and newer models, higher capacity is faster because of platters.

It seems you are dissatisfied and considering Green. I would say no. Greens by WDC are very good but you already have a huge 2TB 5900 model, so no point in buying another of the same. As you upgrade, make that your data hdd.

2TB CB speed is very noticeable (10-15%) comparable to 1 TB CB and even the 1 TB CB is perhaps 7-10% faster than Seagate 1 TB 7200.12. Remember the 7200.12 and 7200.11 for Seagate. 7200.11 is an older version and you may get palmed off with that in India if you do not notice (who sees the specs of HDD anyway).

Last edited by vasudeva : 2nd December 2010 at 07:17.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:35   #1660
BHPian

Makes perfect sense, thanks for your detailed analysis.

If WD Caviar Green is 5400 RPM, there is no point in an exchange and I will stick with the Seagate, which incidentally is called green too for its low power consumption and apparently is at a higher RPM of 5900. I spoke to the dealer and WD is still not available and I mean the green, not even the black (black is not even listed on ebay India - as you say, not easily available).

I don't find the disk slow or lagging, but that apparently is because I have not used the 7200. I just wanted to consider the options while the dealer is still okay to swap it; I will keep your advice in mind for my next disk addition.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:48   #1661
Senior - BHPian

If he is willing to swap it, go for Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB (528AS) for around 3-3.5K. Very good HDD and cheaper than WD Blue which competes with this product. (FYI, Seagate LP competes with WD Green, Seagate 7200.12 7200 rpm with WD Blue, and Barracuda XT with CB. This is for consumer and not enterprise market). As you will see, I bought a 1TB CB in India for 7.5K but a 2.5TB one in UK for 8.5K. Even if you do get a 1TB CB, do not get FALS (older version) but the present 1002FAEX

Now you might say that you would need to install everything again. Not at all. Head over to Seagate's site and download Acronis for Seagate (Seatools or something). Both WDC and Seagate offer free Acronis for their HDD (provided that the primary HDD is theirs). Install Acronis and make an image of C on an external HDD. Also make a boot CD of this Acronis program. Hardly a 10-20 mins job end to end. Image is compressed and so a 30GB used HDD will result in an image of 10-12 GB. Say you get a new HDD sometime later. Just plug it in your computer, leave it unallocated (no partitions), boot from acronis boot cd, and recover that c: image to this disk. Always note the serial no as without that you might recover to a different HDD. Best is to unplug (remove SATA or power) all disks from the PC except the disk to recover to.

What will happen now. Say your imaged C: was a total of 100 GB (incl. used and unused). Acronis will put a 100GB partition on the new HDD, make it bootable and active. Once you are booted back in windows with your apps now on the new HDD, you will see 100GB as C and the rest as unallocated. Create partitions on that as needed. So easy. Word of caution: do not attach your previous HDD (which had windows) during the recovery. Or if it is attached, make the windows partition inactive. Then, later when you have windows in new HDD, format the old windows partition and use it elsewhere.

fFor partitioning, one of the best tools which beats windows inbuilt is Partition Wizard. Best of all, the home edition is very good, will meet almost 100% of any requirements and is free, and you can also perhaps download a boot CD of that from their site (thus no need to install the program in windows). Just boot from the CD and do as much as you want with partitions.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html

Last edited by vasudeva : 2nd December 2010 at 09:53.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:05   #1662
Senior - BHPian

There is a case for slower spinning disks.
1. The wear less and last longer
2. They are cheaper, hence ideal for bulk storage
3. They run cooler with less noise.

On my PC, I used to have 10 devices - 9 HDD and DVD (I have 6+1 now, but thinking of getting a SATA controller for six more). As most of the storage is archival, there is no requirement for faster data rate, rather the requirement is for more storage at lower cost with higher reliability. I think most personal computing requirements are similar.

The equation changes for data base servers, where speed is most important. Even there there is a trend for using large number of 5400 rpm devices for "near line" storage, and a minimum number of 10k/15k for mission critical storage.
Has any one tried to set up a Storage Box to house a lot of HDD, accessible through Gigabit Ethernet?
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:20   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you, but I prefer to have at least the primary one as a performance HDD (no SSDs for the time being). Greens serve a great purpose in archival storage for movies and data backup for infrequent access.

I used to have 2 HDDs initially, with 1 external. Now have 4 internal (5TB) +1 internal (500GB), disconnected (for occassional usage)+2 internal HDD (2TB) put in an external encl. thru esata. Storage enclosure will work for me but no space and not worth the cost for my requirements.

Although 4 internals are fine with my system, the config I am working on is 2 performance CBs, and 2 Greens/LP of high capacity (>1TB, but leaning towards Barracuda LP 2 TB). The spare internal HDD are now externals with esata. Noise is repeat not an issue in my system. Multi-year reliability also not. New HDDs keep coming in every few months, some old ones are stored, some sold, some placed as externals. Day to day system reliability is ensured thru imaging of C and data backups (photos, docs, etc).

More HDDs are fine with me if not for the lettering and the clutter/confusion it causes in windows. The problem for me is replacing the legacy 500/1000 GB with Greens/LP of 2 TB (now upto 3 TB). I do not rely much on USB externals for day to day backups. Prefer esata.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:50   #1664
BHPian

Cool. I guess I am going to leave it as is for now and go for a faster disk for OS at next upgrade as suggested. Thanks.
Old 15th January 2011, 03:58   #1665
BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

I finished building my gaming rig last night and config goes as:

CPU: Intel i5 2400 3.10Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3
RAM: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu
GPU: Inno 3D 1GB GTX460
PSU: Corsair HX650
Case: Antec 900
Monitor: Asus 21.5(wide screen) LED

Relying on stock cooling as of now. Will go after market cooling upon OC (and that's not any time sooner)

Is anybody else going (or planning) Sandy Bridge way??

Last edited by Punzabi : 15th January 2011 at 04:02.

Most Viewed