Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:08   #1741
Senior - BHPian

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i guess you're right. when i got my PSU (Antec TPQ1000) for almost 14k 3yrs back, my friends were told me i could have gotten a local one a lot cheaper
Ha Ha Ha. My 19" BenQ monitor cost me 38k five years ago, and each of my 24" LG monitors 25k two years ago. For my Dual Quad Xeons, the Cabinet + PS was cool 18k, and the mid-range graphics card 13k.

So it depends what you want, and how big/fast. There are graphics card going for $2,500 and more, and Intel Server Cabinets cost about 30k here. Try and get a 30" calibrated monitor, and you will get a sticker shock DELL Dell UltraSharp U3011 30-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor with 5 Year Advance Exchange and Complete Care Warranty : Computer Components | Dell
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:26   #1742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Ha Ha Ha. My 19" BenQ monitor cost me 38k five years ago,
Ok Aroy I need your help (and anyone else who can).

In 3 months I will be shifting office. The IT guys at the new office have asked me to spec my own machine and I dont want to come across like an idiot.

My current machine is a Q9550 quad core with 8GB of RAM. I dont need the power all thetime but occasionally do for FEA (IDEAS) or Videoprocessing (Pinnacle/Ulead).

What Motherboard, Processor, RAM, spec should I ask for to get a configuration that is signifcantly better than what I got. I could also take my old machine to the new office.

For my monitor I have my eyes set on this (my present monitor is 24" I think)
http://www.benq.co.in/products/produ...tag=2&ptag=197
or
ViewSonic - Products - VX2739wm
or if the budget permits
network monitor - 320MXN - Network Monitor - Monitor | SAMSUNG
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:41   #1743
Senior - BHPian

Get this desktop:

XPS

My usage is similar (IDEAS + other modeling tools).

Add an SSD to boost performance significantly.
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:43   #1744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It was ~32k with B&W for the 240GB unit.

Jesus mate!
I just picked up a Intel X25-M SSD (120GB) for Rs 11k ($229)

I guess its too late to say it now, but you should have probably bought a smaller drive and kept less-used data on your velo.

Either that, or you should have dropped that money on the super-high performance "extreme" SSD drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Intel SSDs are some of the best you can get. IFAIK they are made from SLC (Enterprise use) instead of MLC (Consumer) NAND chips that are more durable than the latter.
Actually the mainstream Intels (-M) use MLC too. The extremes (-E) use SLC.

The X25-M (MLC) = $390 for 160GB
The X25-E (SLC) = $375 for 32GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Basically, the network adapter does not always come up when the system is powered on. I'm not the only one to suffer this, and there are various theories on the net.
THANKS!!!

Have been having this problem on my mum's computer. Replaced the whole motherboard.
Then it started to happen with the new mobo as well! Was beginning to think it was perhaps something else (PSU? Bad sector on hdd? etc)

Usually one hard power cycle (unplug / switch off mains, and not just the power button on the CPU) fixes it.

Please let me know (PM) if you find a permanent fix.

cya
R
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:45   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Buy a separate LAN card?
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:10   #1746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

In 3 months I will be shifting office. The IT guys at the new office have asked me to spec my own machine and I dont want to come across like an idiot.

My current machine is a Q9550 quad core with 8GB of RAM. I dont need the power all thetime but occasionally do for FEA (IDEAS) or Videoprocessing (Pinnacle/Ulead).

What Motherboard, Processor, RAM, spec should I ask for to get a configuration that is signifcantly better than what I got. I could also take my old machine to the new office.

For my monitor I have my eyes set on this (my present monitor is 24" I think)
BenQ India | Products - LCD MonitorsScreen Size - 24" & up - M2700HD
or
ViewSonic - Products - VX2739wm
or if the budget permits
network monitor - 320MXN - Network Monitor - Monitor | SAMSUNG
Navin,

There are a lot of things involved in specifying the machine. For starters make a list

1. What software will you use
2. If you are on to CAD/GIS then how many and of what resolution monitors are desirable. Multiple monitors make life more productive.
3. Is your software "thread aware", that is will you benefit with more cores
4. What sort of budget for your machine, you have a lee way of between 60k and 5L (for good branded work station)

As I work from home, to help you out, I will list what I have now

USAGE : CAD Software development, GIS and Highway Geometric Design production
POWER : High CPU power required for development and production. Usage about 10% of the time
MACHINE
. Tyan-S5397 MB with 16 ECC RAM Slots (upto 16x8GB DDR2/800)
. Dual Quad Core Xeon, 2.5 GHZ
. 8GB RAM
. NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, dual display card
. 3x160 GB HDD, 2x750 GB HDD, 1 x 1TB HDD, (on a hot swap sub assembly)
. 2 x 24" (1920x1280) monitors
. 1 x 19" (1280x1024) monitor
. 10 bay cabinet with 6 fans + 1000W PS
. DVD R/W
. 300GB, 500GB and 750GB USB2 HDD for data portability and back up.

This system is mainly 3 years old and cost me around 90k without monitors or HDD, which were carried over from my previous system.

If I build it today from scratch, I will get 8 x 1.5TB HDD, 2 x 30" displays with matching video card with 1GB RAM, upgrade the Xeon to faster model, and get Intel/Super Micro Server Chassis with 6/8/10 hot plug HDD slots.

In case you require a robust work station, please go to the Dell, HP and IBM sites and peruse through the "Work Station" specifications.
Workstations - Dell Precision Computers | Dell
Business products – HP Workstations - HP Large Enterprise Business
Lenovo - ThinkStation workstations - Tech specs
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:24   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Jesus mate!

I guess its too late to say it now, but you should have probably bought a smaller drive and kept less-used data on your velo.

Either that, or you should have dropped that money on the super-high performance "extreme" SSD drives.

Did you buy your SSD in the US? In India, the Intel X25-M 80GB is listed at 10K and 160GB at 25K.

Actually the Corsair comes in 3 types/series in which the F was the performance champ (285 MB/sec read and 275MB/sec write) in their range Q4 of 2010. In fact the Corsair F 120 GB listed at about Rs 18K in India. I couldnt get a larger SSD than this and I wanted the biggest capacity SSD possible so I don't have to replace it any time soon. It is a nearly direct replacement for my Velo 300GB.

Corsair very recently introduced the Performance 3 series which is supposed to be faster.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd February 2011 at 16:26.
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:25   #1748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Buy a separate LAN card?

Was hoping for a specific firmware update or something (free) like that.

Will give this a google when i have some free time.

cya
R

@R2D2 - Yep, got it from the USA.
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:44   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It'd be easier if you provided your budget.

A good upgrade would be an i7 2600 [2600K if you overclock, which is easy to do with the K-series CPUs.

You could go the Xeon path if you want, but that could be overkill.

Besides, with a Xeon, you'd need a graphics card, but encoding videos is SUPERFAST with these new Sandy Bridges, thanks to the new Quick Sync feature. Not even high-end graphics cards handle encoding so good. Check this out.

Quick Sync Vs. APP Vs. CUDA : Intel

Although you have to wait a month or two if you want to go the Sandy bridge way. A rare bug has been discovered in the chipsets, which causes SATA 3 Gbps ports' performance to degrade over the time. Motherboards are being recalled all over the world, and it'll take Intel and companies about a month to rectify the error and released new boards. (Check the last 30 posts for more details).

More specific configuration could be decided later, as when the new chipsets come in, manufacturers may introduce newer motherboards et al.

If you can't wait for a month or two, there's always Xeon.

EDIT : The XPS suggested by @NetFreakBombay is a Sandy Bridge, saves you the trouble of assembling, looks cool, but don't buy it yet, coz of the chipset problems I've mentioned above.

Last edited by anku94 : 3rd February 2011 at 22:49.
Old 4th February 2011, 03:14   #1750
Distinguished - BHPian

nb: this is about a problem with Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H not bringing up the onboard network card on boot up. The original post was a while back, so this might have looked incomprehensible without this note.

Quote:
THANKS!!!

Have been having this problem on my mum's computer. Replaced the whole motherboard.
Then it started to happen with the new mobo as well! Was beginning to think it was perhaps something else (PSU? Bad sector on hdd? etc)

Usually one hard power cycle (unplug / switch off mains, and not just the power button on the CPU) fixes it.

cya
R
Frankly, I'm being a bit lazy about it. If it broke down in use it would be a much bigger pain, but once it works, it goes on working.

I usually find it comes up 2nd boot, and almost always by 3rd boot. As it is Linux, that only takes a couple of minutes: if it was a ten-minute Windows boot, I'd be steaming. I also came across the mains power-down theory on the net, and have used that when it is really stubborn. Oddly, though, my system is powered down every night, and the supplying UPS is turned off, so there should be actually no power to the PSU before starting up in the morning, and it would have been without power for several hours.

Another theory is that booting into Windows somehow resets something in the net chip that survives reboot. I don't think so (even those who propound the theory are incredulous, but it seems to match their experience) because that doesn't do it for me. or, if Linux doesn't pick it up, neither will a boot into Windows.

Please let me know if you find a fix

Something you can mess with is the Smart Lan function in the BIOS --- but with a problem like this it is almost impossible to say that, if it starts to work, what you just did fixed it, because it might have just worked anyway.

Of course I'll get back to you if I do discover anything!

by the way...

I have a new machine. It has about 1Gb of memory and half of a Phenom *II. It runs WinXP ... In a virtual machine within Linux! No real need for it, but it is fun to play with. I'll probably use it for those odd times I just have to use Excel or word.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th February 2011 at 03:18.
Old 4th February 2011, 06:57   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Can members pls. suggest me a monitor in 23-24 inch. Presently have Samsung P2350. I am leaning towards IPS and my preferences based on avail are: Dell Ultrasharp 2410, Samsung PX2370, HP LP 2275w/2475w. I have heard that DEll's reviews and user experiences are drastically different.

I want something for text (office) and movies (not much for games). What about Dell Ultrasharp 2711. Text blackness and non-graininess is important to me.
Old 4th February 2011, 08:20   #1752
BHPian

AMD Phenom II X6 1090t (stock)
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR 3 1600MHZ
GIGABYTE 890GPAUD3H
Corsair H50.
Corsair 550VX powersupply
ATI 4850 GDDR5
160+200+1000GB Sata HDDs.
Cooler Master CM 690.
Altec Lansing 521i.
Samsung 793MB 17inch CRT.
Microsoft and Logitech keyboard mouse.

Anvancy
Old 4th February 2011, 09:40   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jesus mate!

I have read that overall Intel X-25-M are extremely good overall even though they have a lower write rate. Is that so and if it makes a difference. Crucial RealSSD300 is supposed to be symmetrical but quite expensive. I can get stuff from UK (more expensive than US but no regular visits by relatives from there). Right now, RealSSD 128GB is close to 175 pounds (down from 200 pounds in Dec). 64gb down from 100 pounds to 88-90 pounds. Intel x-25m is 170 pounds for 80GB and 305 pounds for 160GB.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th February 2011 at 17:00. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 4th February 2011, 11:24   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
:

cya
R
It necessary to know what sort of problem, before diagnosing it. If it is "blue screen" or freezing, or reluctance to boot, then
In my opinion you have a Power Supply problem, as it is not the mother board. Other probable reasons in order of probability
1. RAM
2. HDD connectors
3. HDD
4. Virus
Old 4th February 2011, 12:53   #1755
Distinguished - BHPian

No, it is nothing like that. it is that everything works, and works fine ... except the network 'card'. Google reveals that a number of people have this experience with the same board, and some have even replaced it one or more times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t (stock)
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR 3 1600MHZ
GIGABYTE 890GPAUD3H ...
Any networking problems with your board?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks