Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 08:21   #2596
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Also, as you know WD have a better warranty replacement policy which delivers the drive to your door. As you correctly point out they have stopped issuing new drives and resort to giving refurbished units as replacements.
Yes that is true WD do pick up and deliver at the door (unlike Seagate where one has to deposit the drive and then pick it up). With WD, I last RMA in mid 2012 and that was the practice then. Different matter that pick up never happened for me on the scheduled date, and happened only after 3-4 mails and at close to 1 month. But once they pick up, the drive comes home in 3-4 days. Once they picked up a 2TB WD Green and delivered back a 3TB WD Green. So cannot complain..
Old 21st May 2013, 15:03   #2597
BHPian

Friends,

I was planning to buy a new Laptop mostly used for Gaming. I am looking for a powerful machine and my budget should not exceed 70K INR. I have rounded down my search to Lenovo Ideapad Y500. I heard its a good machine but have some niggling issues with Touchpad. Please find the link:
http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/lapto...y-series/y500/
The configuration that i am looking for is:
15.6" screen - 1080p display - i7 3rd gen processor - 8 GB RAM - 2 GB GFX NVIDIA GT 750 - backlit keyboard - Bluray drive.

Please advice!
Old 8th June 2013, 23:36   #2598
BHPian

hi all,

Need help with, Lenovo Ideapad560p, bought in US in 2012, is been dead for few months, does not charge, battery seems to be dead or the charging circuit. Lenovo authorised service center in Banashankari turned a big dud, they couldn't source the battery for 6 months. All white lies. Any suggestions on where I can get laptop diagnosed and problem fixed? I am bit wary of SP Road jugad at the moment.

thanks in advance
Old 10th June 2013, 02:34   #2599
BHPian

My upgraded system, completed Sunday:
New stuff:
CPU: Intel Core i7 Gen3 3770K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 OC Formula
Memory: G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 1600 16GB (4 x 4GB)
PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 - 850W
Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO + 2X CM XtraFlo 120mm
Hard Drives: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB SSD (MZ-7PD256BW); Seagate ST2000DM001 - 2TB;

Old stuff retained:
Graphics Card: Zotac GTX470
Monitor(s): Dell SP2208WFP
Keyboard: Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
Case: Coolermaster HAF-X
Hard Drives: Seagate ST3500418AS - 500GB; Seagate ST31000528AS - 1TB; Seagate ST500DM002 - 500GB;
ODD: LG GH22NS50 x 2
Old 26th June 2013, 22:32   #2600

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a Desktop but not sure whether to pick one off the shelf (doesnt seem worth it for the price) or go for an assembled one (not sure whether it will work well). Looking for the following config:
- Pentium Dual Core Processor
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM
- 1 TB HD
- DVD R/W
- 3 MB Cache Memory
- 19" LED Screen
- Keyboard
- Mouse

I wont be using it to play games. Mainly it will be for business / personal use, running about 10-12 hours a day, also running multiple applications and softwares for a good chunk of the time.

A few queries for all the tech savvy dudes out there:
- Is an LCD screen better or an LED?
- Where can one get a competent desktop assembled in Mumbai (I fear getting ripped off or not getting new parts since I dont know much about hardware myself)?
- Does an assembled desktop perform as well (without issues) as a company manufactured one?
- What should the above config cost?
- Anything to be added to the above config?
- How much extra would it be if I got the Core i3 instead of the PDC or an 8GB DDR3 instead of the 4GB one?

Thanks for your time
Old 26th June 2013, 23:10   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
guys,

could you let me know where i can get hold of 8GB of DD2 1066Mhz RAM? when i had built the system (about 5yrs back), had opted for only 4GB, but now i think an extra 4GB (max) can help. it can be 8GB x 1 or 4GB x 2 or 2GB x 4.

can't upgrade the system right now; not on the priority list

looking at performance RAM not value RAM. these are the ones i've now.

edit: anybody know if RAM from Komputerbay is a real deal or is it just bogus?

You have 2GB X 2 now ? . If you have 32 bit OS , it can read only max of 4GB , to access all the mem you need to have 64 bit OS . Unless there are some tweaks ( which they are ) which can access all the mem.
Also memory sticks needs to be installed in pairs to get Double date rates or it will be only single date rate (slow) .
Old 26th June 2013, 23:40   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_916 View Post
- What should the above config cost?
- How much extra would it be if I got the Core i3 instead of the PDC or an 8GB DDR3 instead of the 4GB one?
Check on http://www.bwindia.net/ You may have to register yourself to get the latest prices. The cost may slightly vary between here & your place, but you will get a fair view of what it costs or how much extra for a component change in your config.
Old 27th June 2013, 16:25   #2603

Looking for a good Desktop Assembler in Mumbai

Hello all. I'm thinking of replacing my laptop with a much better spec Desktop. From what I learnt online it seems that a good assembled Desktop is way cheaper than a factory made one. Would anyone know of a good shop in Mumbai which makes / specializes in assembled desktops? While it all seems good, I'm a bit wary of being sold a lemon and hence would appreciate some informed opinions.
Old 28th June 2013, 13:23   #2604
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a good Desktop Assembler in Mumbai

Quote:
Hello all. I'm thinking of replacing my laptop with a much better spec Desktop. From what I learnt online it seems that a good assembled Desktop is way cheaper than a factory made one. Would anyone know of a good shop in Mumbai which makes / specializes in assembled desktops? While it all seems good, I'm a bit wary of being sold a lemon and hence would appreciate some informed opinions.
Assembled machines are fine provided
. You have excellent service backup throu out the life of the desktop
. You can assemble, diagnose problems and replace parts

As you seem to lack the above, I would strongly advise agains getting an assebled machine. The fact is that most normal users are migrating from desktops to laptops. Those who buy destops today are
. Need a powerful machine - server or workstation
. Need multiple monitors - CAD or GIS
. Have multiple machines and proper service backup.

The pros of a laptop vs assembled desktops
. No UPS required
. Warranty available - in many cases extendible to 3-5 years
. Can be moved around the house
. Does not require dedicated desk space
. Highly upgradable

The cons of a laptop vs assembled desktops are
. Slightly more expensive
. Not many support multiple monitors
. Difficult to upgrade
. Expensive to repair if out of warranty
Old 30th June 2013, 12:03   #2605

Re: Looking for a good Desktop Assembler in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Assembled machines are fine provided
. You have excellent service backup throu out the life of the desktop
. You can assemble, diagnose problems and replace parts

As you seem to lack the above, I would strongly advise agains getting an assembled machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Check on http://www.bwindia.net/ You may have to register yourself to get the latest prices. The cost may slightly vary between here & your place, but you will get a fair view of what it costs or how much extra for a component change in your config.
Thanks Null & Aroy for your comments.

I'm getting around to the view that it might be better to spend a few more bucks and get a Core i3 + 4 GB DDR3 Laptop for around 28k. Will need to keep the screen higher and use an external keyboard and mouse to take care of my persistent neck and cervical pain (the main reason why I wanted to get a desktop). I also found out that the power consumption of a desktop is around 3 times higher than that of a laptop. According to some calculations, with a laptop one would save around Rs. 300 in power bills every month assuming 12 hours of usage per day. So in the end you actually dont end up paying a premium for the laptop anyway. The plus is getting a branded product with fewer headaches in case things go wrong.
Old 30th June 2013, 13:54   #2606

Hello all. I'm interested in a good new laptop which will principally have the following:

Intel Core i3 Processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB SATA HDD
3 MB Cache
2.2 GHz
DVD R/W
At least a 15.6" LCD Screen

I dont game at all and principal use will be for work (multi-tasking with 2 programs open) for around 12 hrs a day. Currently, the 1 GB RAM & AMD Dual Core on my Acer Aspire 4520 are insufficent as the 2 programs run up a Page File Usage of more than 1.5 GB regularly.

So far the Samsung, Acer & Fujitsu Laptops seem to be the ones offering this at between 27-28k. I dunno much about Fujitsu but my current Acer laptop has been phenomenal running well for more than 6 years with only one Repair of some 6k odd.

Is Samsung good for laptops & are there any others in that price range that I am missing out on? Appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
Old 30th June 2013, 23:52   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all. I'm interested in a good new laptop which will principally have the following:

Intel Core i3 Processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB SATA HDD
3 MB Cache
2.2 GHz
DVD R/W
At least a 15.6" LCD Screen

I dont game at all and principal use will be for work (multi-tasking with 2 programs open) for around 12 hrs a day. Currently, the 1 GB RAM & AMD Dual Core on my Acer Aspire 4520 are insufficent as the 2 programs run up a Page File Usage of more than 1.5 GB regularly.

So far the Samsung, Acer & Fujitsu Laptops seem to be the ones offering this at between 27-28k. I dunno much about Fujitsu but my current Acer laptop has been phenomenal running well for more than 6 years with only one Repair of some 6k odd.

Is Samsung good for laptops & are there any others in that price range that I am missing out on? Appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
Check out dell inspiron R series. They should meet your requirements and would fit the bill too.
Old 1st July 2013, 04:43   #2608
BHPian

NOTE: Need to buy one within this week with delivery before 30th July
Can go for a laptop as well if it fits the requirements.

I am in the market for a ultrabook for my dad, who is a keyboard warrior with MS office. So I wouldn't want him to, nor would he appreciate changing how he uses the shortcuts and stuff.

Requirements:
i5 or i7 256GB SSD minimum
Excellent Warranty Support in India
Warranty extension available in India
Good battery life
Preferably backlit keyboard
Good screen resolution
Significant price difference between Indian and US prices
Good quality construction

Budget: 80k INR or $1350

So my question is, considering all that, would it be advisable to shift to MBA with Bootcamp?

Or should I just stick to something like Lenovo Yoga 13/X1/X230?

And finally, if its the latter, then besides the Lenovo, what options do I have?

@mods: the same question is posted in another thread as well, if there is a need to remove a post, then please remove it from The Online Shopping Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 11:40   #2609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
NOTE: Need to buy one within this week with delivery before 30th July
Can go for a laptop as well if it fits the requirements.

I am in the market for a ultrabook for my dad, who is a keyboard warrior with MS office. So I wouldn't want him to, nor would he appreciate changing how he uses the shortcuts and stuff.

Requirements:
i5 or i7 256GB SSD minimum
Excellent Warranty Support in India
Warranty extension available in India
Good battery life
Preferably backlit keyboard
Good screen resolution
Significant price difference between Indian and US prices
Good quality construction

Budget: 80k INR or $1350

So my question is, considering all that, would it be advisable to shift to MBA with Bootcamp?

Or should I just stick to something like Lenovo Yoga 13/X1/X230?

And finally, if its the latter, then besides the Lenovo, what options do I have?

@mods: the same question is posted in another thread as well, if there is a need to remove a post, then please remove it from The Online Shopping Thread
I prefer the Thinkpad series
http://www.thedostore.com/laptops/th...black-162.html

. 3 years International warranty
. One of the best keyboards

The cons vs the Y13
. Windows 7
. non touch screen

Regarding support. Depends where you are. IBM has a service centre in all major cities, so does HP. Rest the support is spotty outside metros. I have had Thinkpads for more than 10 years and have found the laptops pretty rugged (I used to take the x series to field in the heat and humidity) and as advertised pretty shock resistant. Of course the IBM keyboards are a class apart.
Old 16th July 2013, 12:54   #2610
BHPian

Guys,

I have picked up an Intel I7-4770K processor , DH87RL Mother board & a 256 GB 520 series SSD in a recent offer.

Would like advice on what PSU, RAM (DDR 1600 MHZ) & Cabinet(Micro ATX form factor) to choose to compliment my purchase.

I use the PC for Media, Gaming (Assassins Creed, Racing games, FPS shooters) & image processing (Photoshop CS6, Light room)

RAM: I want to go for a 8GB ram now and add another 8 GB a bit later on. Do i go for an 1X8 GB and add another one later or do i need to put a 2x4 GB ?
I have chosen Corsair vengeance, kindly advice if i need to look at other brands for my requirements.

PSU: Do i need to go for a 500/ 600W PSU? if yes than which one?

Cabinet: Need 3-4 ports in the front, which is the best one to go in for now in terms of aesthetics?

Please help

Most Viewed