Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 10:19   #2611
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Guys,

I have picked up an Intel I7-4770K processor , DH87RL Mother board & a 256 GB 520 series SSD in a recent offer.

Would like advice on what PSU, RAM (DDR 1600 MHZ) & Cabinet(Micro ATX form factor) to choose to compliment my purchase.

I use the PC for Media, Gaming (Assassins Creed, Racing games, FPS shooters) & image processing (Photoshop CS6, Light room)

RAM: I want to go for a 8GB ram now and add another 8 GB a bit later on. Do i go for an 1X8 GB and add another one later or do i need to put a 2x4 GB ?
I have chosen Corsair vengeance, kindly advice if i need to look at other brands for my requirements.

PSU: Do i need to go for a 500/ 600W PSU? if yes than which one?

Cabinet: Need 3-4 ports in the front, which is the best one to go in for now in terms of aesthetics?

Please help
1. RAM - always go for pairs as the RAM acess is interleaved hence access speed improves when there is even number. As there are only 2 slots, it is best to go for 2x8GB now itself.

2. The PSU depends on the graphics card and the number of HDD.
. If the Video card is a high end one then it requires dedicated cables (2 x 4 pins or 2 x 6 pins) and at least 200W of power
. SSD consumes power as do HDD, so more you have the more PSU power required.
. 600w-800w range is safe to have. Note that at least 50% of problems in assembled systems are traced to faulty/insufficient PSU
Old 17th July 2013, 10:36   #2612
BHPian

How is the feedback on the all-in-one style desktops?
I am seriously contemplating getting one from Lenovo for my home use.
Old 18th July 2013, 09:18   #2613
BHPian

I've a ibm thinkpad notebook with XP re-loaded, yesterday when i was using the PC as usual, there was a power cut and since the battery was drained; the system was shut and got activated when the power came....this happened again for second time but after that the system could not boot up and showed error of failure even though OS tried to run. I tried restarting again many times but it did not and so i'm unable to access

Can anybody out of the experts here help me please
Old 18th July 2013, 13:11   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. RAM - always go for pairs as the RAM acess is interleaved hence access speed improves when there is even number. As there are only 2 slots, it is best to go for 2x8GB now itself.

2. The PSU depends on the graphics card and the number of HDD.
. If the Video card is a high end one then it requires dedicated cables (2 x 4 pins or 2 x 6 pins) and at least 200W of power
. SSD consumes power as do HDD, so more you have the more PSU power required.
. 600w-800w range is safe to have. Note that at least 50% of problems in assembled systems are traced to faulty/insufficient PSU
I do seem to remember last year that enabling XMP and overclocking RAM was much easier and stable when I bought a G-skill kit of 4*4GB 1866 Mhz. I earlier also had 4*4GB 1600 Mhz but that was in two separate bundles. So perhaps it is indeed better to just plan on RAM requirements now and go for a kit rather than individual sticks.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:34   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
I've a ibm thinkpad notebook with XP re-loaded, yesterday when i was using the PC as usual, there was a power cut and since the battery was drained; the system was shut and got activated when the power came....this happened again for second time but after that the system could not boot up and showed error of failure even though OS tried to run. I tried restarting again many times but it did not and so i'm unable to access

Can anybody out of the experts here help me please
First of all check if the battery is working. Try to get to the configuration menu and then try to diagnose what is wrong.

In case the OS is corrupted, you have to reload it. Thinkpads come with a service partition, unless some one has deleted it to get more space, you can reload the OS. Here is what you do
. While booting the computer press the "IBM" button
. If you get to the service partition, then fine, else you have to go to IBM service centre.
. Assuming that you have accessed the service partition, you can save data to an external device
. Then reload the OS
Old 19th July 2013, 10:38   #2616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I do seem to remember last year that enabling XMP and overclocking RAM was much easier and stable when I bought a G-skill kit of 4*4GB 1866 Mhz. I earlier also had 4*4GB 1600 Mhz but that was in two separate bundles. So perhaps it is indeed better to just plan on RAM requirements now and go for a kit rather than individual sticks.
Your motherboard, as deduced from the Intel site has only 2 RAM Slots, so I doubt you can use 4 RAM modules.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...rd-dh87rl.html

EDIT : There seems to be a confusion in the Intel site. The above link states 2 DIMM slots while the PDF document states 4 slots. Please check the number of memory slots present. If there are 4 then you can get 2 x 4GB modules now and rest later. If there are only 2 slots then you are better off with 2 x 8GB modules now itself.
http://downloadmirror.intel.com//226...ProdSpec02.pdf

Last edited by Aroy : 19th July 2013 at 10:46.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:47   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
First of all check if the battery is working. Try to get to the configuration menu and then try to diagnose what is wrong.

In case the OS is corrupted, you have to reload it. Thinkpads come with a service partition, unless some one has deleted it to get more space, you can reload the OS. Here is what you do
. While booting the computer press the "IBM" button
. If you get to the service partition, then fine, else you have to go to IBM service centre.
. Assuming that you have accessed the service partition, you can save data to an external device
. Then reload the OS
Thanks a lot for the response

Fortunately; OS got corrupted which is reloaded and thank god the HD was saved which i was fearing The data was safe too

Now; my biggest problem is the replacement of battery since there are plenty of options against the branded one

Can you advice on this issue since i'm in real confusion as friends say there is hardly any difference in terms of performance and warranty between the original and the local ones with big variation in cost thou

I will be replacing this for the first time after six years

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 30th September 2013 at 18:22. Reason: Additional smiley deleted. Please use proper punctuation in your posts for better readability. Thanks!
Old 19th July 2013, 11:20   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now; my biggest problem is the replacement of battery since there are plenty of options against the branded one

Can you advice on this issue since i'm in real confusion as friends say there is hardly any difference in terms of performance and warranty between the original and the local ones with big variation in cost thou

I will be replacing this for the first time after six years

Thanks
I have been buying the x series batteries from http://www.thinkessentials.com/system-batteries.html
They last at least two years and are just plug and play. The third party batteries in India are not worth it as they are mostly Chinese batteries in refurbished cases. It may last six years or go bad just after warranty expires.
Old 19th July 2013, 11:54   #2619
BHPian

Quote:
I have been buying the x series batteries from http://www.thinkessentials.com/system-batteries.html
They last at least two years and are just plug and play. The third party batteries in India are not worth it as they are mostly Chinese batteries in refurbished cases. It may last six years or go bad just after warranty expires.
Thanks for sharing the link.
http://www.thinkessentials.com/think...y-40y6799.html
The one i require

Btw; does a high mAh results in better capacity since i'm unable to find the same in the above link. How about ebay and other online options?

Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 09:42   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the link.
http://www.thinkessentials.com/think...y-40y6799.html
The one i require

Btw; does a high mAh results in better capacity since i'm unable to find the same in the above link. How about ebay and other online options?

Thanks
Yes high mAh is higher capacity. Most of the Thinkpads come with at least two and at times three battery options - low capacity, medium and high. Try this one
http://www.thinkessentials.com/think...y-40y6797.html

This battery 9 cell battery weighs 0.5kg while the 6 cell is only 0.33kg

Last edited by Aroy : 20th July 2013 at 09:43.
Old 20th July 2013, 09:52   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Yes high mAh is higher capacity. Most of the Thinkpads come with at least two and at times three battery options - low capacity, medium and high. Try this one
http://www.thinkessentials.com/think...y-40y6797.html

This battery 9 cell battery weighs 0.5kg while the 6 cell is only 0.33kg
Thanks Aroy for sharing the link

Your final advice: which one i should go for?
Old 20th July 2013, 10:45   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy for sharing the link

Your final advice: which one i should go for?
Go for the 9 cell one it will increase the battery time by more than 50%, unless you are traveling a lot and would like to reduce the travel weight.
Old 21st July 2013, 22:26   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
How is the feedback on the all-in-one style desktops?
I am seriously contemplating getting one from Lenovo for my home use.
You may have to face hardware upgrade related problems with such systems, else they will do the job just fine.
Old 27th July 2013, 00:18   #2624
BHPian

Guys am looking for a graphics card for gaming. Budget 10k to 15k. Doesn't matter if its nvidia or ati. Please suggest some options guys.
Old 27th July 2013, 09:11   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the 9 cell one it will increase the battery time by more than 50%, unless you are traveling a lot and would like to reduce the travel weight.
Thanks Aroy

Bought the 9 cell

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks