Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 12:09   #2626
Team-BHP Support

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
RAM: I want to go for a 8GB ram now and add another 8 GB a bit later on. Do i go for an 1X8 GB and add another one later or do i need to put a 2x4 GB ?
RAM is so affordable now, why don't you just buy 16 GB?

Quote:
PSU: Do i need to go for a 500/ 600W PSU? if yes than which one?
You haven't mentioned if you're going to have a dedicated graphics card or not.

If no - then 600w is way too much / unnecessary. You can get by with 400/450w. (Calculators)

What i would focus on more than the wattage number is getting a power supply that :
1) Has a very good reputation (both manufacturer and that specific model)
2) Has a good efficiency rating (eg. 80Plus GOLD) - saves the planet + runs cooler
3) Modular (if you don't want cables cluttering up your cabinet)
4) Warranty

Recommended list : http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-sup...endations.html

Stay AWAY from : http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-sup...emon-list.html

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2013 at 12:12.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:15   #2627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
RAM is so affordable now, why don't you just buy 16 GB?
Hey thanks for the reply, already bought and assembled the PC, went in for a 2x4 GB Gskills
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/gski...379227?pos=0;5

I do a lot of image processing (Cs4 , lightroom) and play fps & racing games. I enquired quite a bit(think digit & other forums) and was told to go for the 2x4 setup for better consistency. if need be i add a 2x4 later on probably reduced price availability at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
You haven't mentioned if you're going to have a dedicated graphics card or not.

If no - then 600w is way too much / unnecessary. You can get by with 400/450w. (Calculators)

What i would focus on more than the wattage number is getting a power supply that :
1) Has a very good reputation (both manufacturer and that specific model)
2) Has a good efficiency rating (eg. 80Plus GOLD) - saves the planet + runs cooler
3) Modular (if you don't want cables cluttering up your cabinet)
4) Warranty

Recommended list : http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-sup...endations.html

Stay AWAY from : http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-sup...emon-list.html

cya
R
Definetly planning to add a graphics card later on, presently using a onboard graphics HD 4600 series thanks to the Haswell setup. I picked up a Corsair TX 650 (Haswell compatible)

This is my final config,

Processor Intel I7-4770K
MB Intel DH87RL
SSD Intel 256GB Series 520
RAM Gskill Rip Jaws 4x2 GB
PSU Corsair TX650 V2
Cabinet CM HAF 512
Monitor Dell 2240SL
UPS APC 1100 kva
HDD WD Caviar Green 2 TB
Keyboard Logitech MK 330
Mouse Logitech MK 330
DVD Drive Lite-on
OS Windows 7 64 Bit Prof
Antivirus Kaspersky
GPU N/A
Speakers F&D 680

Need advice on the GPU to compliment this setup,

Last edited by redrage : 29th July 2013 at 14:18.
Old 29th July 2013, 15:49   #2628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definetly planning to add a graphics card later on, presently using a onboard graphics HD 4600 series thanks to the Haswell setup. I picked up a Corsair TX 650 (Haswell compatible)

This is my final config,

Processor Intel I7-4770K
MB Intel DH87RL
SSD Intel 256GB Series 520
RAM Gskill Rip Jaws 4x2 GB
PSU Corsair TX650 V2
Cabinet CM HAF 512
Monitor Dell 2240SL
UPS APC 1100 kva
HDD WD Caviar Green 2 TB
Keyboard Logitech MK 330
Mouse Logitech MK 330
DVD Drive Lite-on
OS Windows 7 64 Bit Prof
Antivirus Kaspersky
GPU N/A
Speakers F&D 680

Need advice on the GPU to compliment this setup,
With this kind of high end setup, why have you avoided a GPU. I prefer NVIDIA and you can buy a gpu based on your budget. Nvidia has recently launched 7xx series (Nvidia tick) which is essentially 6xx series (Nvidia tock). 7xx series though costs +20K for 760, and +30K for 770.

With core i7-4770K, AFAIK, it is dual channel, so makes sense to buy RAM in pairs and you did the right thing. Check your RAM slots and if there are 4, go for two more sticks of 4GB each at a later time.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:08   #2629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
With this kind of high end setup, why have you avoided a GPU. I prefer NVIDIA and you can buy a gpu based on your budget. Nvidia has recently launched 7xx series (Nvidia tick) which is essentially 6xx series (Nvidia tock). 7xx series though costs +20K for 760, and +30K for 770.
I spent a good amount on this setup (close to around 70k) so just waiting to settle down. since already onboard graphics are present i decided to wait for some time till the rate drops and then go in for a good GPU.

How is this?

http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1

How are the present breed of Radeons cards? Should i go in for 1 GB/2GB or 3GB? DDR3 or 5?

Confused a bit. Budget is around 10-15k max.
Old 29th July 2013, 17:15   #2630
Senior - BHPian

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-4.html

Tom's Hardware recent article on best graphic cards for the money.
Do not know much about AMD as I have always bought NVIDIA.
HD7850 is there in sub-US$200.\\

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mark,3148.html
Old 29th July 2013, 18:18   #2631
Senior - BHPian

I had a lot of problems with Nvidia cards on multi-monitor set up, so I have moved back to ATI.

Please note that these high end cards require separate power, so the PS should have the power connectors for the card. The cards consume at least 100W of power which means the PS should be rated high enough to supply this. The power requirement as well as the extra power connectors required are given in the specifications for each card. Please read them online before procuring the card.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:33   #2632
BHPian

I burned out my motherboard vrms courtesy- tneb. Now i have to switch out a nice motherboard processor with a comparable intel base. I am planning on going all guns blazing and getting myself a i7 4770k with a msi mpower board z87 / asus maximus vi hero or the gigabyte g1 sniper 5. Currently unable to choose between them and so, i am stuck for a while... :(
Old 31st July 2013, 12:01   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
I burned out my motherboard vrms courtesy- tneb. Now i have to switch out a nice motherboard processor with a comparable intel base. I am planning on going all guns blazing and getting myself a i7 4770k with a msi mpower board z87 / asus maximus vi hero or the gigabyte g1 sniper 5. Currently unable to choose between them and so, i am stuck for a while... :(
I have had good experience with both MSI (x58) and ASUS (x58 and x79). When going for ASUS for x79, I found it to have the most features compared with MSI or Gigabyte. EVGA availability is a bit spotty??

I suggest features comparison, and then go with ASUS or Gigabyte.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:21   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Get good spike protection. As such the switching PS is supposed to provide basic protection against spikes, but really big ones require good spike busters.

I remember once when lightening struck near our house, the surge killed most of the electronic gadgets for at least 10 houses round it.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:41   #2635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Get good spike protection. As such the switching PS is supposed to provide basic protection against spikes, but really big ones require good spike busters.

I remember once when lightening struck near our house, the surge killed most of the electronic gadgets for at least 10 houses round it.
Hmm I do have a spike arrestor from Belkin. My voltage readout from the bios and voltmeter has such a big difference that I decided to throw the thing out and upgrade. So the system is very unstable. Also, I had overclocked my cpu to 4.2 Ghz. So all in all, a loss of a good cpu, mobo and a nice hsf.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:50   #2636
Senior - BHPian

A good spike arrestor is expensive. Here is what it does

When an high voltage spike comes, it fires a zenner diode (or equivalent device) across the input which trips a circuit breaker. This ensures that the spike never goes further.

A more refined version will protect both the phase and the neutral and short to the earth.

In either version the action is fast and the power input is isolated faster than it can damage the down stream equipment.

Another device used where the amounts of power is large, is a saturated core transformer. This is normally a 1:1 transformer which does not let the output voltage rise after the core is saturated. In short the voltage is clipped beyond a predetermined level.
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:54   #2637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spent a good amount on this setup (close to around 70k) so just waiting to settle down. since already onboard graphics are present i decided to wait for some time till the rate drops and then go in for a good GPU.

How is this?

http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1

How are the present breed of Radeons cards? Should i go in for 1 GB/2GB or 3GB? DDR3 or 5?

Confused a bit. Budget is around 10-15k max.
For 15k, the best card out there is the Radeon 7870. As for prices, they will only go up considering the rupee devaluation.

Also if you've not bought that SSD, I'd suggest a Samsung 840 pro - its way faster and more reliable than the buggy sandforce based intel 520.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 2nd August 2013 at 10:56.
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:10   #2638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
For 15k, the best card out there is the Radeon 7870. As for prices, they will only go up considering the rupee devaluation.

Also if you've not bought that SSD, I'd suggest a Samsung 840 pro - its way faster and more reliable than the buggy sandforce based intel 520.
Hey my friend reignofchaos, great to hear from you. I have only benefited from your advice since 2008.

On SSD however, I have a different opinion. I have a Intel SSD 520 120 GB. It may be definitely slower than Samsung, but buggy it is definitely not. I would not trade it for anything other than an Intel and would not mind keeping it till end of life even if there are faster ones available. Also important is that unlike some of the other buggy Intel software, the Intel SSD toolbox is very stable and I update it without any fear. I have heard good things only about Samsung Pro series (recommended everywhere) so there it is.

For my laptop though (Seagate Momentus XT), I am keenly awaiting India pricing and availability on the new Samsung 840 Evo series. They max out at 1TB with my sweet point at 750GB. There is also a Crucial M500 but hardly there in India.

Last edited by vasudeva : 2nd August 2013 at 12:16.
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:35   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

Hi, The Geforce GTX 660 / 660 Ti fares better than than the 7870 right?

I am thinking about the 660 Ti or the GTX 760 now
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:31   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Hey my friend reignofchaos, great to hear from you. I have only benefited from your advice since 2008.

On SSD however, I have a different opinion. I have a Intel SSD 520 120 GB. It may be definitely slower than Samsung, but buggy it is definitely not. I would not trade it for anything other than an Intel and would not mind keeping it till end of life even if there are faster ones available. Also important is that unlike some of the other buggy Intel software, the Intel SSD toolbox is very stable and I update it without any fear. I have heard good things only about Samsung Pro series (recommended everywhere) so there it is.

For my laptop though (Seagate Momentus XT), I am keenly awaiting India pricing and availability on the new Samsung 840 Evo series. They max out at 1TB with my sweet point at 750GB. There is also a Crucial M500 but hardly there in India.
Great to know you have a good experience with the Intel 520. However if you check intel communities, very many people have had problems with it. Its not the ssd at fault really - rather its just a bad and now old controller - the Sandforce 2281. It has performance issues with incompressible data and is also known to die on occasions. Intel is moving away from sandforce in the next gen 530 controller.

As for Samsung, do not buy anything other than the 840 pro. The 840/840 Evo are based on TLC NAND which on paper has 1/3rd the endurance of MLC based drives. I'd not recommend the 840/840 EVO to anyone. However 840 Pro is an excellent drive and completely worth it.

Quote:
Hi, The Geforce GTX 660 / 660 Ti fares better than than the 7870 right?

I am thinking about the 660 Ti or the GTX 760 now
Depends on the application. Looking forward into the future, since most games are gonna be optimized for AMD's GCN architecture by default since it is the defacto standard for both PS4 and XBOne, I'd buy the 7870. It also has a faster, wider memory bus than all the 660/760 cards. Also in general purpose computing, the 7870 trashes the 660/760 and almost equals the 680.

If you are buying from the states, then 760 makes a compelling case in current applications and games. However out here in India, the prices are so skewed, you can probably pick up a far superior 3GB 7950 for less than the price of the 760.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 3rd August 2013 at 13:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks