Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 15:27   #2656
Team-BHP Support

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Well, I decided to indulge

2x128 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs in RAID 0 coming up! Hopefully I'll get the time to install them soon.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-ssd-img_20130814_195611.jpg

cya
R
Old 20th August 2013, 15:48   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I bailed out of the MS plane at XP, no nothing about the subsequent versions, and have zero enthusiasm to change that <Blush>, but I think 7 is not too foreign. My wife will probably get to grips with it long before I do.
IMO, Win7 is the best OS from MS since WinXP. A very stable platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Well, I decided to indulge
Building a high availability data center at home?
Old 20th August 2013, 17:06   #2658
BHPian

What were the damages for the 2 ssd's?
Old 20th August 2013, 17:33   #2659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Building a high availability data center at home?
Yeah, my Crucial M4s in RAID 0 just weren't fast enough

(Actually i got scared and switched out of RAID 0 with the M4s a few months back - but then that extra 1.5 seconds whilst opening Photoshop really started to get on my nerves!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
What were the damages for the 2 ssd's?
$130 each on Amazon. Had someone bring them down from the USA.

cya
R
Old 21st August 2013, 09:20   #2660
BHPian

hi, One of my friend wanted to assemble a system. He was studying animation. Can anyone direct me to a good gigabyte motherboard and processor. He has a total budget of about 35 k for the whole system.

I had previously brought gigabyte ma785us2h motherboard, by bhpian's recommendation about 3 years ago, and it is just piece of mind for me. so once again I am here for your recommendation. Thanks for any help.
Old 23rd August 2013, 22:49   #2661
BHPian

Guys I bought a microtek ups 2 years ago and about couple of weeks ago it started giving no back up at all.
When I took it to computer hardware shop that guy told me that as the batteries are swollen ups itself has gone kaput and I need to repair it along with installing brand new batteries. And if I do not repair it then it will swell the new batteries and swollen batteries carry no warranty. Is it true?

Last edited by rsjaurr : 23rd August 2013 at 22:50.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:48   #2662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Guys I bought a microtek ups 2 years ago and about couple of weeks ago it started giving no back up at all.
When I took it to computer hardware shop that guy told me that as the batteries are swollen ups itself has gone kaput and I need to repair it along with installing brand new batteries. And if I do not repair it then it will swell the new batteries and swollen batteries carry no warranty. Is it true?

Yes, battery swell due to high charging voltage. First rectify the charger, then only change new battery, or else it will also bulge.
Old 25th August 2013, 13:55   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post

Yes, battery swell due to high charging voltage. First rectify the charger, then only change new battery, or else it will also bulge.
So do you think buying new ups makes more sense than getting it repaired coz new batteries would cost 1500 and repair anything close to 500. Even worse repair may not be successful.

OTOH new ups would only cost me between 1800-2150 ( microtek to APC).
Old 25th August 2013, 18:29   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
So do you think buying new ups makes more sense than getting it repaired coz new batteries would cost 1500 and repair anything close to 500. Even worse repair may not be successful.

OTOH new ups would only cost me between 1800-2150 ( microtek to APC).
As per your breakup the UPS costs between 300 and 650, so there is no value in repairing it.
Old 25th August 2013, 20:40   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Our ten-year-old Compaq laptop is getting less and less reliable. My preferred make would be Lenovo, and I'd be looking for a model that comes with Windows 7. Will Office 2000 run on W7?
Lenovo has the Ideapad series, which is popular for low costs in some parts of the world, but in India, Sony's Vaio is just as economical. If you have a large enough budget, the Toshiba Satellite U925T Ultrabook convertible is definitely something to look at - it has a slide-and-tilt screen to turn it from a tablet to a laptop and back. The Lenovo Ideapad Yoga is a different approach to tablet-laptop convertibles where you flip the screen over 360 degrees - yes, that means the keyboard will be facing outward but it is automatically turned off when you turn it past 180 degrees.

Windows 8 is standard on all new computers, with Windows 8.1 expected in the not too distant future (it would be a free upgrade for existing Windows 8 users). You would most likely need a new copy of MS Office, but you can get a starter edition of MS Word and MS Excel on some computers. In MS Word starter edition, you don't have the ability to create comments and use track changes, whereas in MS Excel starter edition, some of the advanced features have been removed.
Old 25th August 2013, 20:48   #2666
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you. I like the sound of the 'yoga' for loungin on the sofa, but as my posture is bad enough at the desk it is probably a bad idea --- and it is supposed to be for Mrs G anyway!

I'm still favouring Lenovo, but, anyway, the purchase is postponed. Postponed for how long? One day soon, that old Compaq is not going to boot even! Might be tomorrow...

Lenovo's various ranges are baffling, but it is the Thinkpad that is the sturdy one, I think? The one that still has a bit of the old IBM feel about it?
Old 26th August 2013, 18:40   #2667
BHPian

Has anyone tried ECS motherboards. They come in micro atx form. I heard some good review online and offline. One of my friend brought ECS H61H2-M17 (for 2800/-), and is happy with the performance, but it is for intel. I am an AMD fan, so wanted a MB for AMD.

Can anyone Suggest me a good ecs mb and amd processor. Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 09:44   #2668
BHPian

Friends,

I have a requirement for a PC/Workstation setup with atleast 32 GB RAM. What are my options and speculated budget?

I would really appreciate feedback, comments and recommendations.

Thanks,
Old 27th August 2013, 11:33   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Friends,

I have a requirement for a PC/Workstation setup with atleast 32 GB RAM. What are my options and speculated budget?

I would really appreciate feedback, comments and recommendations.

Thanks,
I have a high end (then) system
. Tyan MB, with 16 ECC RAM Slots : 35K
. 8GB RAM in 4 slots (12 slots free) : 8K
. 2 x Xeon 4 core processors : 50K
. 1 x ATI Radeon 6800 Graphics card with 1GB RAM : 15K
. 2 x 24" (1920 x 1200) LG Monitors, 1 x 1280 x 1024 BenQ monitor) : 60K
. 6 HDD, 1 DVD writer : ~ 30K
. 1 x 4 drive hot plug cage for HDD : 10k
. High end Cabinet with 1000W PS : 12K

You have to decide how long you want to keep the system. My one is more than 4 years old and still rocks.

If you going to do GIS and other graphics oriented work with reasonable amount of computations then a single CPU with high end graphics card will do, else a two CPU machine is better.

Please note
. You will need a good server grade cabinet with 1000W PS. The cabinet should have at least 5 fans MB controlled. Most of the problems with high end computers is with the PS.
. For high end computing you are better off with Xeon, and with 6 & 8 core processors you will have plenty of horse power if you are into high performance computing - CFD, Simulation etc.

Study these for further details
http://www.intel.in/content/www/in/e...ison-tool.html
http://www.tyan.com/tech/product_mat...herboards.html
http://www.intel.in/content/www/in/e...is-p4000m.html
Old 27th August 2013, 23:26   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have a high end (then) system
. Tyan MB, with 16 ECC RAM Slots : 35K
. 8GB RAM in 4 slots (12 slots free) : 8K
. 2 x Xeon 4 core processors : 50K
. 1 x ATI Radeon 6800 Graphics card with 1GB RAM : 15K
. 2 x 24" (1920 x 1200) LG Monitors, 1 x 1280 x 1024 BenQ monitor) : 60K
. 6 HDD, 1 DVD writer : ~ 30K
. 1 x 4 drive hot plug cage for HDD : 10k
. High end Cabinet with 1000W PS : 12K

You have to decide how long you want to keep the system. My one is more than 4 years old and still rocks.

If you going to do GIS and other graphics oriented work with reasonable amount of computations then a single CPU with high end graphics card will do, else a two CPU machine is better.

Please note
. You will need a good server grade cabinet with 1000W PS. The cabinet should have at least 5 fans MB controlled. Most of the problems with high end computers is with the PS.
. For high end computing you are better off with Xeon, and with 6 & 8 core processors you will have plenty of horse power if you are into high performance computing - CFD, Simulation etc.

Study these for further details
http://www.intel.in/content/www/in/e...ison-tool.html
http://www.tyan.com/tech/product_mat...herboards.html
http://www.intel.in/content/www/in/e...is-p4000m.html
Thanks ARoy.

That is a great system you have there.

The CAD softwares are cpu license based and so I cannot use more than 1 core in a quad-core cpu. Also, I do not have any data if ECC based RAM will provide me with any benefits. Would you know anything about that.

How is service for Tyan? I am in Gujarat and have not heard or seen any service centers for Tyan. I will go through the other links now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks