Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 17:11   #2686
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What is more important is to have sufficient ports to connect the drives. My system has 8x3.5" bays and 4x5" bays. I have a hot plug cage for 4 drives in the 3 5" bays, but only 2 drives in the rest of the space as my MB supports only 6 SATA drives. For additional drives I have to get a separate SATA controller.
That's true. Most chassis/cabinets/cases have more space for drives than MoBos have ports. My current board has only 6 ports which are all used up (4 HDDs a Blu-Ray & DVD writer)

Additional PCI or PCI-E SATA3 controller cards will be required to plug in additional HDDs
Old 30th September 2013, 17:38   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's true. Most chassis/cabinets/cases have more space for drives than MoBos have ports. My current board has only 6 ports which are all used up (4 HDDs a Blu-Ray & DVD writer)

Additional PCI or PCI-E SATA3 controller cards will be required to plug in additional HDDs
Mine has 6xSATA and 2xIDE, my previous MB had 6xSATA and 4xIDE, and that is when I had 10 drives, now I am down to 7
Old 30th September 2013, 17:50   #2688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Mine has 6xSATA and 2xIDE, my previous MB had 6xSATA and 4xIDE, and that is when I had 10 drives, now I am down to 7
Oops. My bad, I forgot to add the 2 internal ports afforded by a 3rd party ASMedia drive controller which also drives 2 e-SATA ports at the back of the MoBo.

The main SATA ports (6 of em) are native to the Intel South Bridge. That's a total of 8 + 2 e-SATA.

There are no IDE ports. :(
Old 17th October 2013, 00:29   #2689
Senior - BHPian

A relative needs to buy a 'Branded' Desktop computer (assembled not preferred). Which is the best brand in terms of reliability, service and vfm?

I am using a HP desktop for last four years and very happy with it. Any other brand which can offer similar piece of mind?

Also do we get festive discounts on computers also?

Budget is upto 40k - less will be better.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th October 2013 at 00:34.
Old 17th October 2013, 08:37   #2690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
A relative needs to buy a 'Branded' Desktop computer (assembled not preferred). Which is the best brand in terms of reliability, service and vfm?
In 40k range, all brands would be similar in terms of reliability. For Service, Dell is the best brand (do take 3 year extended warranty).
Old 18th October 2013, 12:16   #2691
gemi_kk

All, need advice !!
Planning to get rid of my 1.5 year old Macbook pro 13.
What price could i expect for my MBP 13 as per current market standards? (Config: I5 2.4 Ghz + 128 GB SSD (also have 500GB original HDD) + In scratchless condition) ?
Reason:
-Mac doesnt fit to my requirements now, as i am working on a custom application which demands better configuration.
-Machine will be on and running for > 12 hours everyday, and i am afraid to use my mac in such a way.
-Development time is more on OSX. Need windows + VS + VM ware.
-Currently using mac with TV and microsoft keyboard as i am habituated with Windows.

New machine: Budget 60-70K (5-10K stretchable). Including all taxes.
-Want a branded machine. (preferable) Desktop or All in one.
-Want a Quad core I7/I5 (Preferable Haswell/Ivy bridge. >3.0 GHZ). Open for Xeon PC's too. (AMD No no. reason resale value.)
-Want Windows 7/8. (Original)
-Dont have a LCD/LED monitor. So an All in one desktop would be prefered (Full HD). Have Samsung 32" TV. Could be used as monitor too.
-HDD ? 500-2TB. no worries here. i have 3TB in external drives. An SSD (128/256) would be prefered, if available.
-RAM? 4 or 8 should be fine. (Cant increase initial investment. can compromise here as it could be added later on.)
-ROM? If given in above price, i'll take it.
-Keyboard- Chicklet type (prefered). Microsoft (compromised) ok.
-Mouse- Nothing hard and fast here. Ok with anything.

Got the following quotes:
- Dell: Asking price is 93K (including taxes). Touch screen Optiplex all in one.
- Dell: Asking price is 89K (including taxes). No Touch Optiplex All in one.
- Imac: 85K from Ebay + Again Mac
- Lenovo: No All in one's with such hardware
- Acer, Asus: Couldnt locate dealers.
- Samsung: Couldnt find their desktop PC's.

What choices do i have now?

Last edited by gemi_kk : 18th October 2013 at 12:19. Reason: changing conditions.

Old 12th December 2013, 16:51   #2692
Team-BHP Support

Can you recommend a good HDD dealer in Nehru Place. I need to upgrade my laptop internal HDD from 500GB to 1TB
Old 12th December 2013, 17:50   #2693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can you recommend a good HDD dealer in Nehru Place. I need to upgrade my laptop internal HDD from 500GB to 1TB
Why not get it from some e-tailer like eBay or Flipkart Tanveer? With eBay and a coupon, you may get better pricing as well. Not to mention the added comfort of getting the shipment home delivered to your doorstep.

Here're some links in case you are interested:

eBay WD10JPVT

Flipkart WD10JPVT

I am glad that the 1 TB drives are now available in 9.5 mm height. Previously, they were only available in 12.5 mm height and thus couldn't fit in most laptops due to their height restriction. During those days, the 750 GB drives were the highest capacity drives you could plonk into laptops.

PS: This post must be on the laptops and configs thread IMO.

PPS: I don't have any experience with Samsung/Hitachi/Toshiba drives thus refrained from recommending them.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:00   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost to Cost computer 1st floor 14-15 farm bhawan nehru place.
It's behind Paras Cinema.

They are very brusque - but yes if you know what you are looking for you will be in and out within minutes, and I have never had reason to complain about non-genuine products.
All products accompanied with an invoice and valid warranty (if offered by manufacturer).

Prices are published daily: http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf and you can compare the price with e-tailers before you drop in for the purchase.
Non-availability of a specific model may sometimes be an issue, so before you go ensure you have a number 2 and number 3 alternative researched. Don't depend on the salesman for technical/product information - he will probably end up misinforming you.

I don't have any commercial or other relation with this company.
Old 16th December 2013, 23:10   #2695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Cost to Cost computer 1st floor 14-15 farm bhawan nehru place.
It's behind Paras Cinema.

They are very brusque - but yes if you know what you are looking for you will be in and out within minutes, and I have never had reason to complain about non-genuine products.
All products accompanied with an invoice and valid warranty (if offered by manufacturer).

Prices are published daily: http://www.costtocost.in/list/pricelist.pdf and you can compare the price with e-tailers before you drop in for the purchase.
Non-availability of a specific model may sometimes be an issue, so before you go ensure you have a number 2 and number 3 alternative researched. Don't depend on the salesman for technical/product information - he will probably end up misinforming you.

I don't have any commercial or other relation with this company.
Wow!
This is cheaper than the e-tailers.
I guess I will go for 4GB more of RAM for my LAPTOP. RAM prices seem to be low for now!
Old 17th December 2013, 07:48   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!
This is cheaper than the e-tailers.
I guess I will go for 4GB more of RAM for my LAPTOP. RAM prices seem to be low for now!
One more thing -carry cash. IIRC he would otherwise charge you the 2% card payment processing fee
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:29   #2697
BHPian

I have installed a Asus AMD Radeon 7750 GPU in my desktop with Win 8 pro. Yesterday I happened to check the control panel and it shows AMD radeon 7700 series instead of 7750. Is it ok or I have been cheated?

Also Asus GPU tweak control states the same which is AMD Radeon 7700 series when I click on GPU info.
Old 23rd December 2013, 11:58   #2698
Senior - BHPian

That is what it should show. Please download GPU-z and post a screen shot here.
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:38   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
That is what it should show. Please download GPU-z and post a screen shot here.
The box mentions its 7750 and GPU core clock matches with whats written on the box.
Name:  GPU.PNG
Views: 365
Size:  47.8 KB
Name:  GPU2.PNG
Views: 362
Size:  24.3 KB
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:32   #2700
Senior - BHPian

looking out for a graphic card for my desktop.

budget 4-5k. have narrowed down on the Nvidia gt 630 synergy edition. any other options in this range that i could look at ?

Most Viewed