BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks for the informative post!
Happy to help!

Quote:
Point noted. The thing is for the price of the FX, I am getting a mid i3 processor which I felt was not attractive. So do you really think that an i3 for the same price would do better than the AMD in case I am looking for processing power? I will have ten tabs open in the browser, a HD movie with 5.1ch audio running at the same time, else I will be recording and processing music. As you say if the program is not built to use multiple cores then its useless to have extra cores isnt it? (Yes, Exactly)
Well, honestly both FX and i3-4th gen would gobble up these tasks effortlessly. FX would obviously do slightly better, but then again even the i3 won't break a sweat in these conditions.
Check out the pure-performance numbers of these processors from a software called Passmark 07.

AMD FX 8120- 6600
~Rs.9k
Core i3-4130- 4900
~Rs.8k
Core i3-4330- 5100
~Rs.10k
Core i5-4430- 6300
~Rs.12k
A10 6800k- 5000
~Rs.10k
my i3-2120- 3800
~Rs. 7k at that time

core2 duo scores range from anywhere 1300-1400 to 2200-2300 for the most powerful versions. You can imagine now.

Now just Imagine how powerful the cores of i3 would be, to be managing that kind of score with only 2 cores. And i3 has multi threading, meaning each core can handle 2 threads simultaneously, therefore acting like a virtual quadcore. It shows up like a quadcore in the task manager.
The AMD will benefit if you want to go the overclocking way.

Quote:
I need a basic GPU. Not sure what all the GPU will handle other than running a display but it should let me watch a full HD movie without any lags. The last PC game I played was the GTA 5 and I will be more than happy if the current GPU can let me play that ocassionally, which the current PC itself does. Thats it. Some adobe After effects support will be welcome.

If the overall price is the same, I might very well consider a dedicated GPU. Good idea? If processor is costing lesser, I can dump that money into GPU.
These days even the most basic integrated GPUs can play HD movies. There is nothing to worry about in that area. Going the dedicated graphics root is a costly affair and useless if you are not going to be heavy gaming or hardcore video editing and stuff. The i3 will have Intel HD 4400 and that is a pretty powerful chip for normal tasks and medium demanding games.
GTA 5 on PC, well thats a first , the game is yet to be released for the PC platform. You may be talking about GTA 4, not sure about the AMD, but HD 4400 will handle that medium-high setting pretty easily, and the GPU on 6800k would smoke the game.

Quote:
Yes I am considering the i5. Looks to be a better option anyday but the overall price will increase a bit.
The i5 is slightly overpriced I feel now, you can go with i3 or even an APU would be a good option.

Quote:
So if I get the integrated GPU, shouldnt I go for a MB that has inbuilt display ports? I have no idea about this. What if the MB doesnt have?
The integrated GPU will be automatically supported by the mobo by default (due to platform regulations), no need to worry about that. They will even have the HDMI ports. And at any cost please do not go for a mobo with an inbuilt dedicated graphics card kind of thing. Stay away from those things.

Quote:
If I was hell bent on a product, I wouldnt have asked for suggestions here I want some advice from regulars in this field. I was interested in intel but the pricing of the AMDs drew my attention. Hence, I wanted to know if given a small price bracket, would the Intel do better than the AMD though it has lesser cores and some lesser clock speed?

Why dont you suggest a combo of Processor + GPU(If its possible) + MB + RAM + Case within 25k? It shouldnt cost 22-23k preferably. Highest preference to the first two. RAM and case I will upgrade if necessary in the later period. However the MB should have six audio jacks in the rear at any cost.

Thanks in advance. I will take suggestions seriously.

More than happy to suggest you a combo, no need for thanks
When I was going for my build two years ago I had 2 ways to go about it.
First option-
Get a good i3, pair it with a good dedicated GPU.
OR
Get an APU, suffice with inbuilt GPU, and save some bucks.

I did not go for the 2nd option because it won't be a future-proof option, and even the APU's graphic are not enough for the latest games.

1st suggestion for u-
Intel Core-i3 4130 .....................................Rs.8374 (flipkart)
ASRock H87 Pro4 Motherboard......................Rs.7457 (I prefer ASRock, got good history with that brand, Gigabyte and others are also good btw)
=15831

2nd suggestion-
AMD A10 6800k APU (quad-core)..................Rs.9835
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo............................Rs.3392 (8 channel audio at such a price! STEAL! )
=13227
Personally, if I was in your place I would go with the APU. APUs are a very lucrative option.
For RAM and Case, go with whichever you like, nothing much there.
If possible wait for the for the RAM prices to go down. I bought Corsair Value select series 4 GB stick for Rs 934 from flipkart 1.5 years ago, now it costs Rs. 3500, its just sickening. And be sure to go with a branded psu, corsair vs450, vx430 or any cooler master psu with, 450 watts will be more than enough. Generally people don't consider those, but they are important.
Hope the post is not too long :P.
All the best
Old 27th January 2014, 10:10   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My desktop is more than 4yrs old now and been thinking of tweaking it a little bit.

The processor is AMD Athlon Phenom II X2 545 and the Mother Board is M2N68AM PLUS. It's still running on 4GB DDR2 RAM. No USB3 either.

Upgraded graphics card and SMPS to power it recently. My question is are there any current gen Motherboards which will support my old processor so that i can make use of DDR3 RAM [8GB] and USB3? Or will i have to change the processor as well? Oh running windows 7 home 64bit.

Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 14:20   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hi,

My desktop is more than 4yrs old now and been thinking of tweaking it a little bit.

The processor is AMD Athlon Phenom II X2 545 and the Mother Board is M2N68AM PLUS. It's still running on 4GB DDR2 RAM. No USB3 either.

Upgraded graphics card and SMPS to power it recently. My question is are there any current gen Motherboards which will support my old processor so that i can make use of DDR3 RAM [8GB] and USB3? Or will i have to change the processor as well? Oh running windows 7 home 64bit.

Thanks
Well, I think you will have to change your mobo+proc to get ddr3 and usb3 as the phenom is of an older platform which did not have ddr3.
Which graphic card did you buy btw?
Old 27th January 2014, 14:29   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Damn ok. So that's more money to be budgeted for :( Thanks btw. Shall try and work it out.

The graphics card i got was the amd hd6700 by xfx. Was enough for my basic requirement of playing Diablo3
Old 27th January 2014, 14:30   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

If you will still be using the same processor and memory, then I doubt that changing the MB will make any difference. Don't change it for the sake of getting USB3 until you have or are going to buy USB3 devices, and the additional bandwidth matters to you.
Old 27th January 2014, 15:59   #2721
BHPian

Any suggestions for a haswell i3 /micro atx combo? Small footprint is the key here..
Old 27th January 2014, 16:30   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you will still be using the same processor and memory, then I doubt that changing the MB will make any difference. Don't change it for the sake of getting USB3 until you have or are going to buy USB3 devices, and the additional bandwidth matters to you.
Hi Thad. Wanted to use same processor on a new MB to get new RAM and USB3
Old 28th January 2014, 09:53   #2723
Senior - BHPian

So this is what i have shortlisted with my limited knowledge. Please offer your thoughts on these

RAM: Corsair DDR3 4GB Desktop RAM [Vengeance, 2nos] - Rs.5778 for the two
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 - Rs.5541
Processor: AMD 4 GHz AM3+ FX-4300 FX-Series Four-Core Edition - Rs.6217
Cabinet: Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat with Side Window - Rs.4975

All comes to approx 22.5k on snapdeal.

Graphics card remains my current XFX AMD HD6700. Monitor is the same ol 22inch Full HD Samsung syncmaster. SMPS is coolermaster600. Soundcard is an ancient creative audigy.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 28th January 2014 at 09:55.
Old 28th January 2014, 18:13   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So this is what i have shortlisted with my limited knowledge. Please offer your thoughts on these

RAM: Corsair DDR3 4GB Desktop RAM [Vengeance, 2nos] - Rs.5778 for the two
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 - Rs.5541
Processor: AMD 4 GHz AM3+ FX-4300 FX-Series Four-Core Edition - Rs.6217
Cabinet: Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat with Side Window - Rs.4975

All comes to approx 22.5k on snapdeal.

Graphics card remains my current XFX AMD HD6700. Monitor is the same ol 22inch Full HD Samsung syncmaster. SMPS is coolermaster600. Soundcard is an ancient creative audigy.
Your selection is good . Although your graphics card, which one is it? There is none by the name HD 6700 that you mentioned, did you mean HD 6670?
And the RAMs have become so damn expensive, almost a year ago 2*4 GB vengeance would have costed around 3k-3.5k. They are likely to go down soon, see if you can wait.
Old 30th January 2014, 20:46   #2725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
AMD FX 8120- 6600
~Rs.9k

A10 6800k- 5000
~Rs.10k

The integrated GPU will be automatically supported by the mobo by default (due to platform regulations), no need to worry about that. They will even have the HDMI ports. And at any cost please do not go for a mobo with an inbuilt dedicated graphics card kind of thing. Stay away from those things.

2nd suggestion-
AMD A10 6800k APU (quad-core)..................Rs.9835
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 mobo............................Rs.3392 (8 channel audio at such a price! STEAL! )
=13227
Somehow the idea of buying a base i5 or a top end i3 isn't satisfying me. Moreover, most of the motherboards in the range less than 6k are not offering good features. The integrated Intel HD graphics is also said to be horrible. No 5.1ch audio in those MBs too. Hence, I will spend a bomb buying extra GPU, extra sound card and at the same time paying more for Processor+CPU.

With an AMD, I am having the flexibility to cut down on the processor and use the budget for anything else starting from a better RAM to a good case. Hence, I have decided to stick to an AMD combo.

Here are the processors I came across:

A8-6600K quad core - 3.9ghz

FX 6300 6 core

4.1 GHz FM2 A10-Series A10-6800K Four Core Processor

What would be a good choice between the above? As I have mentioned, I am totally stupid enough not to go through the specs, and it needs to support on board graphics.

MB will be the same ASUS M5A78/USB3

Guess I may go for a pair of corsair vengeance. Is it really worth the hype or a normal 2X4GB ram would do?
Old 31st January 2014, 00:27   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow the idea of buying a base i5 or a top end i3 isn't satisfying me. Moreover, most of the motherboards in the range less than 6k are not offering good features. The integrated Intel HD graphics is also said to be horrible. No 5.1ch audio in those MBs too. Hence, I will spend a bomb buying extra GPU, extra sound card and at the same time paying more for Processor+CPU.

With an AMD, I am having the flexibility to cut down on the processor and use the budget for anything else starting from a better RAM to a good case. Hence, I have decided to stick to an AMD combo.

Here are the processors I came across:

A8-6600K quad core - 3.9ghz

FX 6300 6 core

4.1 GHz FM2 A10-Series A10-6800K Four Core Processor

What would be a good choice between the above? As I have mentioned, I am totally stupid enough not to go through the specs, and it needs to support on board graphics.

MB will be the same ASUS M5A78/USB3

Guess I may go for a pair of corsair vengeance. Is it really worth the hype or a normal 2X4GB ram would do?
Agreed, it is better you go for AMD considering the bucks you will save on mobo+dedicated gpu+processor.

The thing with A10-6800K and A8-6600K APUs is that if you buy them, you will not be needing a dedicated GPU for light gaming. And I think (I am not sure), there is no integrated GPU with the FX-6300! So, you may have to buy a dedicated one with that.
Let me give you raw numbers, you decide-
Processing power-
FX-6300 -6376
A8-6600k-4713
A10-6800K-5000

Now, the GPU numbers-
A8 (HD 8570D)-681
A10 (HD 8670D)-802

For comparison purpose-,
Intel HD 4000- 630
GeForce GT 630-729 (discrete)
GeForce GT 640-1290 (discrete)
Radeon HD 6670-1045 (discrete)

You can get the FX-6300, and buy a mid ranged gpu with that later on, something like HD 6670 for just over 5k. Or if you sacrifice a little processing power and get the A8 or (preferably) the A10, then you are going to save money that you would otherwise put for a GPU.

Hey, cool news, AMD have just announced 2 new APUs, the A10-7700K and A10-7850K, expected to arrive India soon.
The 7850K will be 5700 in terms of processing power and 1121 in terms of integrated GPU (Radeon R7 graphics). That would be a hell of a processor.
Estimated to be 150-170$.
You may wanna wait for these babies if you have time.
Old 31st January 2014, 09:46   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, it is better you go for AMD considering the bucks you will save on mobo+dedicated gpu+processor.

Hey, cool news, AMD have just announced 2 new APUs, the A10-7700K and A10-7850K, expected to arrive India soon.
The 7850K will be 5700 in terms of processing power and 1121 in terms of integrated GPU (Radeon R7 graphics). That would be a hell of a processor.
Estimated to be 150-170$.
You may wanna wait for these babies if you have time.
I am not in a hurry. Thanks for the information. Another noob doubt I have - Since the Fx6300 doesnt come with a GPU on board, what will happen if I plug it into the ASUS M5A78USB3? The Motherboard is said to have onboard ATI radeon HD 3000. Will that work? What would happen if I combine an APU with this motherboard?
Old 31st January 2014, 13:34   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your selection is good . Although your graphics card, which one is it? There is none by the name HD 6700 that you mentioned, did you mean HD 6670?
And the RAMs have become so damn expensive, almost a year ago 2*4 GB vengeance would have costed around 3k-3.5k. They are likely to go down soon, see if you can wait.
Hi,

Shall check and let you know the correct model number of my graphics card. Don't think i can wait pretty much a impulse buyer once i set my mind to buy

Thinking of picking up a deepcool iceedge 400xt for the cpu and a few deepcool fans for the cabinet as well.
Old 31st January 2014, 16:54   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Another noob doubt I have - Since the Fx6300 doesnt come with a GPU on board, what will happen if I plug it into the ASUS M5A78USB3? The Motherboard is said to have onboard ATI radeon HD 3000. Will that work? What would happen if I combine an APU with this motherboard?
Good question. When you put the FX in it, it will support it just fine. But Im not sure how good is the inbuilt Radeon HD 3000 gfx.
And, the board that you selected is an AM3+ socket type. Hence you can basically put the FX, phenoms and the semprons, but not the APUs. The APUs use the FM2 platform. So, if you go with APU, you gotta find a different board.
Old 31st January 2014, 17:00   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Another noob doubt I have - Since the Fx6300 doesnt come with a GPU on board, what will happen if I plug it into the ASUS M5A78USB3? The Motherboard is said to have onboard ATI radeon HD 3000. Will that work? What would happen if I combine an APU with this motherboard?
Good question. When you put the FX in it, it will support it just fine. But Im not sure how good is the inbuilt Radeon HD 3000 gfx.
And, the board that you selected is an AM3+ socket type. Hence you can basically put the FX, phenoms and the semprons, but not the APUs. The APUs use the FM2 platform. So, if you go with APU, you gotta find a different board.

Most Viewed