Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 11:02   #2776
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo6 View Post
You should never try to flash the BIOS from within windows for any motherboard. Always try to flash it from within the BIOS itself.

That said, your system can't perform the POST since there is in fact no firmware. You will have to take the mobo to an ASUS service center for them to reflash it using specialized equipment.

The flashing process itself will take only a few minutes, so it depends how fast the service centre is.
What could happen if update is done through windows ?
Old 7th July 2014, 16:21   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should never try to flash the BIOS from within windows for any motherboard. Always try to flash it from within the BIOS itself.

That said, your system can't perform the POST since there is in fact no firmware. You will have to take the mobo to an ASUS service center for them to reflash it using specialized equipment.

The flashing process itself will take only a few minutes, so it depends how fast the service centre is.
That being said, it is always a great idea to load optimised/fail safe defaults before flashing.
These days, BIOS update has become an easy affair and if it is not, just a quick search brings up youtube/search results.
In many ASUS Mobos, one also gets BIOS flashback and downgrade option.
I just keep all BIOS files from ASUS (x79) and use latest BIOS that is stable for me (which is mostly all).
Old 7th July 2014, 21:23   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
What could happen if update is done through windows ?
Two rules when it comes to flashing BIOS:
  1. Don't flash unless you are experiencing problems with the current version, or if you need features introduced in a later version.
  2. Never flash from within the OS. Most of the times, it will fail, especially so with 64-bit OS's. Add UAC in to the mixture, and it multiplies the chances of a failed flash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In many ASUS Mobos, one also gets BIOS flashback and downgrade option.
Yes, these make life much easier. Some mobos, like by Gigabyte Z77X have dual BIOS. If one fails when you are tweaking, you can just pull a switch and boot up from the other (default settings/bootable) BIOS and then flash/reset the first one.

But such features are found mostly in more expensive boards, so it is better to follow the above precautions.
Old 7th July 2014, 22:06   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Don't flash unless you are experiencing problems with the current version, or if you need features introduced in a later version.
  2. Never flash from within the OS. Most of the times, it will fail, especially so with 64-bit OS's. Add UAC in to the mixture, and it multiplies the chances of a failed flash.
Yes, these make life much easier. Some mobos, like by Gigabyte Z77X have dual BIOS. If one fails when you are tweaking, you can just pull a switch and boot up from the other (default settings/bootable) BIOS and then flash/reset the first one.

But such features are found mostly in more expensive boards, so it is better to follow the above precautions.
Yes obiviously you have to read the release notes, mostly there are useful updates/support, otherwise they dont release new bios.

I have been doing this from late 90s, never got failures on updates. Usually when a company release update software those are tested properly. IIRC around 2001-2002 the software to update bios came out. Even i used to little apprehensive when using software to update bios but till date never had to RMA because of this.
Old 7th July 2014, 22:57   #2780
BHPian

I think you misunderstood me or perhaps I wasn't clear: the problem is with the flashing process itself, not the BIOS code. The memory in the BIOS chip is first erased and then the new firmware is written into it. If for any reason a problem develops, it would result in an unbootable system.

No doubt the latest version of BIOS will usually be the most stable and have some extra features. IronH4WK for example had to flash so that the mobo recognized his 3GB HDD. But BIOS updates are not on the same lines as Windows updates. They needn't or rather shouldn't get frequent updates except to support new hardware.

Consider yourself lucky!
Old 8th July 2014, 13:48   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The bottomline is that BIOS updating has become a lot easier and safer over the last few years. I usually keep the most stable BIOS but also not a too old BIOS. I do not find the need to update BIOS on every update available. Once in a quarter is good enough. ASUS usually sends out a monthly-45 days update but as MOBO gets older in the lifecycle, the updates takes longer, and usually no updates after 3-4 years.
Old 8th July 2014, 21:02   #2782
BHPian

Safer, yes. Foolproof, probably not. This will an issue for people with motherboards that don't feature have Flashback or Dual BIOS. They will be in a pickle when the update fails.

You and I can recover from a failed BIOS flash in a few minutes, but not everyone can, hence the precautions.
Old 8th July 2014, 21:41   #2783
Senior - BHPian

I've updated the BIOS two times on this motherboard without any issues prior to this one, no problems at all. This time around during the verification process it failed :(
Old 11th July 2014, 22:57   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
This time around during the verification process it failed :(
Verifying failed because the flashing failed.

Anyway, what's the status of your mobo? Did you get it fixed?
Old 13th July 2014, 01:29   #2785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks for those suggestions, KinghtRider77.

Will include the cabinet you suggested with inbuilt PSU.

Actually i needed a MB with onboard graphics. AMD 6800k APU+MB would cost aroung 14k whereas FX4300+MB is mroe cost efficient and i guess good enough for my needs (playing HD videos, and no gaming at all).

How about the following modified configuration (with 1333Mhz memory and Cooler master cabinate/psu and FX6300):

Viewsonic 21.5 inch LED Backlit LCD - VX2270s Monitor INR 10038
Corsair DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMV8GX3M1A1333C9) INR 5750
Cooler Master Elite 372 USB 3.0 Version with 400W PSU RC-372-KKR400-U3 Cabinet - INR 4875
AMD 3.5 AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300 (FD6300WMHKBOX) Processor INR 7275
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard INR 4178
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD5000AAKX) - INR 3340

Sounds good! Go for it!
Old 13th July 2014, 01:42   #2786
BHPian

Regarding flashing bios from within windows or without. Flashing always comes with some inherent risks, which is why I really like Gigabytes Dual BIOS feature. It helps to minimise as many factors as possible when doing this process then, which is why I believe flashing from without windows is cleaner, and less exposed to inherent risks that come with running under a multi-tasking environment playing host to other processes which may or may not be hostile to other processes (viruses anyone ? or badly written drivers or misbehaving hardware even). My 2p obviously!
Old 13th July 2014, 01:45   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Verifying failed because the flashing failed.

Anyway, what's the status of your mobo? Did you get it fixed?
flashing was successful. verification failed post 50%.

so far, i've not done anything other than try the CLRTC, which was not helpful. wondering whether to upgrade or fix this.
Old 13th July 2014, 02:39   #2788
BHPian

@IronH4WK Wasn't that way back in April? Didn't you try inquiring at the service centre? CLRTC clears the chip holding the BIOS settings. You have no BIOS to begin with.
If you're going for a new mobo, make sure you get a dual BIOS one or one with Flashback feature.
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:46   #2789
BHPian

Here is my computer’s configuration

Assembled Computer

1. Intel Core i5 3330 Processor 3.00 GHz
2. 500 GB Insternal Hardrive
3. 320 GB + 500 GB + 80 GB + 1 TB +1 TB External Hard drives
4. 16 GB DDR 3 RAM
5. 17 Inch 1366*768 Resolution Dell LED Monitor
5. 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT External Graphics Card
6. Creative Speakers with Subwoofer
7. LG DVD Writer
8. Windows 7 Ultimate Operating System.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:02   #2790
BHPian

Recommendations for a new Desktop

Dear Friends;

My Brother-in-law is planning to buy a Desktop for his son aged 10yrs. This will mostly be used by his son for school project work and gaming.

Now there is no real budget by we are looking around 50K-60K price. Also since he is not so techno savvy assembling is a strict no no. He has asked my advice.

What could be the best suggestion? A complete Dell desktop system, or an HP one or can we include i-Mac too. We really do not have experience with Mac OS leaving aside iphone usage.

There is also a need for an All-in-one printer/scan/copier. Suggestions please? I am planning a complete wireless setup for him.

Most Viewed