Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 12:44   #3091
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A simple DDR3 memory question.
4 slots, 2 channels. Currently, I have one 2Mb sim in each channel.

As I uderstand it, the sims for each channel should be the same so (I don't want to upgrade to just 8Mb) I could have...

channel A: two times 2Mb
channel B: two times 4Mb

...erm, right? Memory may be cheap, but not so much that I want to waste the existing sims.
My OS is Linux Mint 17.3, 64 bit.
You are right about the size, but be aware that the type - DDR3/4 has to be same in all the channels.

I used FireFox previously, but in its latest avatar it has become a bloatware, so I have shifted to Google Chrome. I does work for Linux, so you can try it out as a replacement for FF. You can also try Internet Explorer

https://github.com/magnetikonline/li...irtualmachines
Old 11th September 2017, 01:39   #3092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You are right about the size, but be aware that the type - DDR3/4 has to be same in all the channels.
Thanks; I think my motherboard's limit is DDR3, and I couln't use four at all/

Quote:
I used FireFox previously, but in its latest avatar it has become a bloatware,
I have a moderately-heavily customised Firefox. I keeping it looking like how Firefox used to look, and not like a wannabe Chrome with the tabs in the wrong place. Etc.

Probably I have very few extensions compared to some users, but they do increase that bloat. I'm using the ESR version just now, otherwise none of my stuff would work. This is going to see me through until next spring when my requirements will be dumped by Mozilla.
Quote:
so I have shifted to Google Chrome. I does work for Linux,
It is installed, just so that I have something to check browser-specific behaviour.
Quote:
You can also try Internet Explorer
NNNOOOoooooo!

Pale-Moon is number one on my current shortlist. It promises to go on having, at least, a user interface that suits me rather than being wannabe-chrome.
Old 11th September 2017, 09:51   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It should. But I find that Firefox litterally clogs everything up

Hmmm... Yes it does and I had forgotten to think of adding a GPU. Had been thinking of it too, as the built in limits my kernel updates due to driver availability.

Thanks very much. I'll try to do both!
4 GB is pretty much the limit to what XP can handle, I guess.

If FireFox is clogging up memory, you need to check what extensions are set to load automatically when you start FireFox. Disable all of them, restart FF and see how it performs, and then go from there.

I have an Asus Chromebook, a pendrive PC, that is connected to the TV and can be used for emails, browsing, YouTube and stuff. Runs the Chrome OS, which is basically the Chrome browser. If your needs are purely browser based, you may want to look at that too.
Old 11th September 2017, 14:19   #3094
Distinguished - BHPian

To Clarify...
The machine was built to XP limits when it was new. It is now Microsoft-free (hence my horror at the idea of using Internet Explorer! )... Linux Mint 17.3, 64bit
Old 12th September 2017, 11:58   #3095
BHPian

I am looking for a new desktop to be used specifically for Image Processing. The desktop should have a fast graphics processing and SSD to process thousands of images from a Canon focus stacking rail system. The previous HDD based i5 Dell laptop used to take 15-20 mins to process a batch of ~ 500 images. I was able to bring down the time to 3-5 minutes with the Asus i7 SSD based Zenbook for the same set of images.

Now we are looking for a permanent Desktop based setup for the latest rail system and also looking to bring down the processing time further. My budget is max 1L for the desktop (Only CPU is required and should be a branded one. Cant go for assembled PCs). I was considering the Dell Alienware and Asus ROG gaming PCs. Are they good only for gaming or will it be good for image processing as well?
Old 19th September 2017, 17:03   #3096
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody using the system utility CCleaner, please be aware of a malware infection on a recent version.

Read more here: https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the...tm_medium=post
Old 3rd October 2017, 00:19   #3097
Distinguished - BHPian

back to searching for deals on harddrives. Looking for deals on 2TB SATA 3.5" - 3 nos. Or if lucky, 3TB.

Please let me know if any deals come up.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:30   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Are they good only for gaming or will it be good for image processing as well?
Probably an over kill cause you are not going to use the graphics sub system at all on those rigs. You are doing image processing on the cpu, not the gpu. Does the Canon system rely on the gpu?

You need the fastest Intel or AMD chip available with excellent single and multi threaded performance (Provided your Canon scale on the latter). Intel's new i7 and i9 chips should do this for you. Trouble is they cost an arm and a leg.

You will also need a workstation class system and I doubt if anything will be available in the 1 lac range.

You might wan to evaluate a Mac Pro (Not Macbook) solution. Seems most value for money and the Mac OS does better than any OS I have experienced when it comes to image processing.

To sum things up, you need a system will really fast I/O. That is, a fast chip like the latest generation i7 paired with about 100gb (or more) of ram and an ultra fast SSD.
Old 8th October 2017, 01:20   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Anybody using the system utility CCleaner, please be aware of a malware infection on a recent version.

Read more here: https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the...tm_medium=post
ccleaner used to be fine but no more. I use dism and wise disk cleaner portable and it does clean in GBs after every windows update which is now twice a month.
Old 8th October 2017, 01:23   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Coffee Lake is out with 6c/12t. So far we do not know whether it will put the lights out for lower priced x series (6800/6850/7800). I just did purchase a 6850 last week after paying and backing out of 7820x because of power/temp issues on water coolers.
Old 8th October 2017, 04:50   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T

Probably I have very few extensions compared to some users, but they do increase that bloat. I'm using the ESR version just now, otherwise none of my stuff would work. This is going to see me through until next spring when my requirements will be dumped by Mozilla.It is installed, just so that I have something to check browser-specific behaviour.
I have used firefox for 90%+ of browsing over the past decade but so many of my extensions do not work in 57 beta. I usually work on beta. So I have had to switch to 52 esr. Out of my many extensions, 2-3 are important and I have not found good 57+ compatible alternatives so far.
Old 8th October 2017, 04:56   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Are there any disadvantages to buying desktops from manufacturers like Dell or HP ? If the motherboard or SMPS say fails , do I have to depend on Dell/HP for a replacement or can I buy a replacement outside ?
I have heard from so many people that Dell uses refurbished parts in warranty. I have even experienced it myself. The good thing is that they do not take long to be convinced about sending you a replacement for a component or entire system. Of course that benefit is totally useless as who would want a refurbished part as replacement for a new system.
I had to file a case in Consumer Court for dell u2715h and then it took Dell to send a new monitor (not refurbished). Sold that and got an Eizo. Much better quality and no headaches.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:00   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
ccleaner used to be fine but no more. I use dism and wise disk cleaner portable and it does clean in GBs after every windows update which is now twice a month.
Is that a freeware?

I am dependent on ccleaner for a weekly housekeeping chore.
Old 8th October 2017, 11:21   #3104
Senior - BHPian

You can open elevated cmd/power shell (run as admin) and paste this command
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

This is for cleaning up windows updates superseded files (note that you will not be able to uninstall updates after that).
When it completes, run wise disk cleaner (totally free and google for downloads of installer and portable) and do common cleaner and slimming system.

ccleaner does not clean fully or even partially superseded windows files.
Old 10th October 2017, 20:02   #3105
Distinguished - BHPian

Was looking at internal harddrives on Flipkart. Seagate's are rated higher than WD. But the opinion I had got recently was in favor of WD.

Which ones are better ? I am looking at 2 TB drives

Was looking at the WD purple.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks