Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 16:29   #3196
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
I Need Suggestions for a 24 Inch Full HD Monitor. Either HP or Dell. I am open for suggestions.
If you're okay with paying a premium for productivity, then look at the 16:10 options rather than the much more common 16:9 ratio (eg. Dell Ultrasharp U2415)
Old 5th November 2018, 20:14   #3197
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

I am looking to buy a laptop with basic configuration to use Tally ERP in office which is to be given to our accountant. Requirement is strictly laptop as he will be taking it to our CA's office as well.
Operating System should be Windows.

I was thinking of getting a Netbook of 10"-11" Screen Size but the Accountant is too old and does not prefer such small screen size due to small fonts and the amount of content displayed on screen.

I have checked on Amazon.in and came across these-
Lenovo 80XU004UIN
AMD E2-9000 processor
4GB DDR4 RAM
500GB hard drive
14.0-inch screen, Integrated Graphics
Windows 10 Home operating system
Google says this processor is not good even to startup.

iBall CompBook M500
1.1GHz Intel Celeron N3350 processor
4GB DDR3 RAM
32GB hard drive
14-inch screen, Intel HD 500 Graphics
Windows 10 operating system
This has Storage of 32GB only. Can I upgrade the Storage after wards?

Is it advisable to buy from Amazon.in or directly from Manufacturer website? Or should I buy from local shop?

Please advise which one to buy and from where. Models other than that of mentioned by me above are also welcome.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 5th November 2018 at 20:31. Reason: Some Typos.
Old 6th November 2018, 00:05   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am looking to buy a laptop with basic configuration to use Tally ERP in office which is to be given to our accountant. Requirement is strictly laptop as he will be taking it to our CA's office as well.

I have checked on Amazon.in and came across these-

Is it advisable to buy from Amazon.in or directly from Manufacturer website? Or should I buy from local shop?

Please advise which one to buy and from where. Models other than that of mentioned by me above are also welcome.
I would suggest buy an Intel i3 processor with atleast 32 GB ram, 1 TB HDD and 15 inch screen. Buy HP or Dell for peace of mind. If you can afford to spend more, then upgrade to an i5 processor.

All the best.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:07   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
I would suggest buy an Intel i3 processor with atleast 32 GB ram, 1 TB HDD and 15 inch screen. Buy HP or Dell for peace of mind. If you can afford to spend more, then upgrade to an i5 processor.

All the best.
Wouldn't 32GB RAM and 1TB of HDD be an overkill for a system which would run Tally ERP almost all the time?
I agree with 15 inch screen.
I have not checked running Tally ERP 9 on a Netbook. Does Netbook really fall short in case of Displaying contents for Tally ERP 9?

I thought I would get a Laptop for running Tally ERP within 10000-15000/-. Was I wrong in judging it?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 6th November 2018 at 10:09.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:24   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't 32GB RAM and 1TB of HDD be an overkill for a system which would run Tally ERP almost all the time?
I have not checked running Tally ERP 9 on a Netbook. Does Netbook really fall short in case of Displaying contents for Tally ERP 9?

I thought I would get a Laptop for running Tally ERP within 10000-15000/-. Was I wrong in judging it?
I agree, an entry level i3 with 8 GB ram should be sufficient. What you need is large enough screen with all those numbers on the screen that tally will show.
Old 6th November 2018, 12:18   #3201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's a computer configuration thread; you might want to shift this there.

One question, will this be exclusively Tally or will there be a need to run other things like Excel, Adobe etc.? A backup application, given that Tally will have some sensitive data? I run Office 365 on a laptop with 16 GB RAM and I hate it (but I run lots of power pivots). You should look at the incremental costs (going from 16 GB to 32 GB or 512 GB to 1 TB) and take the call.

15K sounds an OK budget for the kind of usage you envisage.
Old 6th November 2018, 22:35   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tally itself states that the minimum requirement is 4GB of RAM and 150 MB of HDD for the application. Data is extra. Since the cost difference is not all that much and you do want your new laptop to be practically usable for atleast 2-3 years from now, its better to go with a 64 bit system like an Intel i3 at the minimum. The cost of 32gb RAM and 1TB HDD as compared to a 16GB/512GB is not that much more, but hey if you're on a budget, you can cut that down.

15 inch screen is a minimum else the screen will be too small to view easily, especially for an ageing accountant.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:20   #3203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tally itself states that the minimum requirement is 4GB of RAM and 150 MB of HDD for the application. Data is extra. Since the cost difference is not all that much and you do want your new laptop to be practically usable for atleast 2-3 years from now, its better to go with a 64 bit system like an Intel i3 at the minimum. The cost of 32gb RAM and 1TB HDD as compared to a 16GB/512GB is not that much more, but hey if you're on a budget, you can cut that down.

15 inch screen is a minimum else the screen will be too small to view easily, especially for an ageing accountant.
Er...32GB RAM? For a tally machine? That is plenty of overkill right there in my opinion.

And why are you comparing RAM with HDD? And prices are not all similar.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:43   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Er...32GB RAM? For a tally machine? That is plenty of overkill right there in my opinion.

And why are you comparing RAM with HDD? And prices are not all similar.
In my experience RAM makes a huge difference to processing speed. Yes you can make do with 16 Gb of RAM if on a tight budget.

I know the difference between RAM & HDD. NEVER compared the two.
Old 7th November 2018, 10:48   #3205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my experience RAM makes a huge difference to processing speed. Yes you can make do with 16 Gb of RAM if on a tight budget.

Am i missing something here? Could you please link a few laptops with 32GB RAM which are economical?
Old 7th November 2018, 12:31   #3206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was thinking of getting a Netbook of 10"-11" Screen Size but the Accountant is too old and does not prefer such small screen size due to small fonts and the amount of content displayed on screen.
Please stay away from netbooks for regular use, and for work-related purposes.

To achieve the price point, too many compromises are made (eMMC storage that is slow, slow processors, etc.), and the screen size is also very bad. I have a 10" netbook that I use solely as a portable backup PC, and would not recommend it to anyone

And old accountant? Do get him a 15.6" or larger screen, with full HD resolution (1920x1080), and preferably anti-glare which will be comfortable to use for peering at a lot of numbers.

Also, aim for 8 GB RAM, and a quad core processor. Consider this Dell Inspiron 3576 that costs 48k, as an indicative example.

I would prefer a laptop with an SSD (for performance and ruggedness), but typically the SSD-equipped laptops are ultrabooks and high-end laptops which retail around the 1-lakh mark. So, it might be better to settle for a 1 TB HDD, with a bit of care not to be aggressive in moving it when powered on.

8-16 GB RAM is what I'd recommend: 16 GB only if you expect heavy use (e.g. tons of spreadsheets open with lots of macros, or browsing in lots of tabs). 8 GB is what I'd call a minimum these days for anyone (especially in a laptop that doesn't make it easy/possible to upgrade). I would disagree with earlier posts and say that anything above 8/16 GB for your use case is excessive. You'd need more RAM only if you're running stuff like statistical/financial models, or as a developer running local databases, web servers, VMs. Remember that while future-proofing is nice & recommended, a laptop has a lifespan that is anyway limited by the life of the battery, physical wear/damage (hinges, etc.). So no point over-speccing some components to last 5+ years if other parts of the laptop start failing sooner.

Stick to brands like Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus. I've had an experience with an iBall tablet, and I found that they were able to hit their price points by compromising on component quality (poor LED screen, internal storage which went corrupt after a year of light use, etc.).

Also, given this will be used for accounting, and is a laptop (hence at risk of damage/theft), please ensure that a meaningful data backup is in place from day 1 - either periodically syncing to an external drive kept in an office, or periodic uploads to the cloud.
Old 7th November 2018, 13:21   #3207
BHPian

Quote:

I can run Photoshop in a 8GB machine easily. 32GB for Tally?

The cheapest 32GB laptop I could find in Amazon costs 2,60,000 (please count the zeros correctly).
Old 7th November 2018, 15:13   #3208
Distinguished - BHPian

32GB would be something of a monster, even these days, wouldn't it? It is not so long since I was only using 4GB. I can say that increasing it (I think I now have 12GB) made a noticeable improvement, but there has to be a point of diminishing return depending on the applications used.

A large amount of memory is nice, if not necessary, for anything that can usefully put a lot of stuff in it. Editing video would be one such an example. An accounting system? Probably not so much. But I don't know Tally.

There is no pint in having a "future-proof" machine that is only ever going to do one thing. Just spec it for that one thing. It will go on working until... it physically stops working. Which, a laptop is likely to do sooner than desktop machine. Or the software moves to need new hardware.

Two or three years? I have had my PC for seven years. It has had two power supplies, three keyboards, numerous mice, one memory upgrade, one graphics upgrade, and suffered at least one hard disk failure (and disks would have come from the previous machine). One keyboard was ten or fifteen years old and would still be working now if it hadn't been for a flood. They don't build them like they used to!

Anyway, don't overspec, it's a waste of money. And even I did it: I had, and have, no real need for a 3.2GHz machine! But, like cars, it is always difficult not to buy the next model up.

As for spending lakhs on a PC of any kind, unless a person is in the film business, just... don't! Buy a cheap machine and a nicer car.
Old 7th November 2018, 17:22   #3209
BHPian

I bought my PC (assembled) my PC some 6 years back. It went for good configuration (i5/8GB/1TBHDD/2GB Graphics card). Two years back i have changed the HDD with SSD. This brings significant change in performance. In most of the Dekstop / Laptop i use in office, i found the HDD is the major bottle neck.

I can see my home computer can go easily another 5 years without any upgrade. I don't use any photoshop kind of work, but i use heavily development work with Visual Studio and my son plays games like GTA, Euro truck etc. So far no performance issue (with boot time around 30 seconds and applications load very quickly).
Old 7th November 2018, 18:17   #3210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Two years back i have changed the HDD with SSD. This brings significant change in performance. In most of the Dekstop / Laptop i use in office, i found the HDD is the major bottle neck.
I have not yet gone there, and now probably won't. I have WD Black hard disks, and got faster boot times and program loads than with slower disks: SSD would/should be much, much faster. It depends on the application whether it is worth it. The WD-blacks are somewhat top-of-the-range-itis with me: most of what I do, eg browsing, has little to do with disk i/o, and it is just a luxury that program load is snappy. But, for example, for any database access application, with large data files and very random random-access, that would be a real justification for fast disks or SSD if budget allows.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks