Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 19:55   #3226
BHPian

Re: PC & Console games - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Thanks buddy. I don’t need any other components like keyboard, mouse, monitor, SSD. All I need is what you’ve put in this pcpartpicker link. Only thing missing is the SMPS. Can you please put that as well? I will finalize the setup and buy them offline in my city. Your rig is extreme man and I loved it!
Thank you very much for the compliment!

Here is the build for you along with the SMPS: https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/y6Tsr6

I recommend you to go for an SSD and better graphics card if it all possible. It will make a huge difference in the performance of your games.

Cheers
Old 15th January 2019, 22:43   #3227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Thanks again buddy. I’ll surely look towards extending my budget.

Gamer for life

Last edited by ampere : 22nd January 2019 at 07:51. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 20th January 2019, 02:46   #3228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Hey buddy. Wanted to know one thing. I’ve heard the Ryzen series is absolutely a competitive product to I series from intel. Would you suggest me to go for Ryzen 5 2400g model? I’ve seen good reviews on Amazon for this processor. Also which GPU would you suggest? How’s GTX 1050Ti 4gb model from MSI? Pairing with Ryzen CPU increase my experience with gaming?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd January 2019 at 07:52. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 20th January 2019, 05:18   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
Hey buddy. Wanted to know one thing. I’ve heard the Ryzen series is absolutely a competitive product to I series from intel. Would you suggest me to go for Ryzen 5 2400g model? I’ve seen good reviews on Amazon for this processor. Also which GPU would you suggest? How’s GTX 1050Ti 4gb model from MSI? Pairing with Ryzen cpu increase my experience with gaming?
The Ryzen processors offer good value for money, and are good competition to Intel's processors overall, but Intel's processors are faster and provide stronger gaming performance. Look at this comparison to understand what I mean: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar.../m433194vs3935

To answer your question about the GPU, I would recommend nothing less than the GTX 1060. Go for the 3 GB version if you cannot afford the 6 GB version.
Here is a comparison between the GTX 1050-Ti and the GTX 1060 3 GB: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...3GB/3649vs3646

Cheers
Old 20th January 2019, 07:47   #3230
BHPian

Quote:
Hey buddy. Wanted to know one thing. I’ve heard the Ryzen series is absolutely a competitive product to I series from intel. Would you suggest me to go for Ryzen 5 2400g model? I’ve seen good reviews on Amazon for this processor. Also which GPU would you suggest? How’s GTX 1050Ti 4gb model from MSI? Pairing with Ryzen cpu increase my experience with gaming?
Yes ryzen cpus are value for money and almost all tech sites recommend it over Intel cpus due to price to performance ratios.

www.anandtech.com/show/9793/

But for CPU you mentioned you are paying more for the integrated vega graphics.
You can save money by going for ryzen 3 2200g and getting a better graphics card which could play games at 1080p at max settings.
You can also go for better CPU Ryzen 5 2600 and pair it with discrete graphics card.

The GPU you mentioned may be good for current games with medium settings but would struggle for future games.
The recommended GPU is GTX 1060 6GB or AMD RX 580 8GB for future proofing your system.
Old 20th January 2019, 09:01   #3231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Hi guys, need suggestions for a Graphic Designing unit.

My current system is an Intel i5 dual core processor in an original Intel motherboard, 32 GB DDR3 RAM (16 X 2), 120 GB SSD for windows and other programs, 4TB HDD for my files. Monitor is a 24" Dell. So far I have been getting my systems assembled by a trusted dealer.

My work is primarily on CorelDRAW - a graphic design and illustration solution and a bit of Photoshop. No gaming. CorelDRAW prefers high processor speeds and high RAM, but a dedicated graphics card is not imperative. I work on it continuously for about 10 - 12 hours daily, sometimes 15 (that includes a lunch break of about 2 hours, but the system is switched on during that period).

Now I need to upgrade.

Primary concern is reliability - do I go for assembled again or the branded route. If branded, would I get the specs I want within my budget. (50k to 100k if needed).

I would ideally want a small form factor CPU that I can carry home with me if needed (not necessarily a laptop). Or a solution where I can work at home at the same speed as in office, with full access to all my HDD files.

The new system should also be able to handle the workload and the file sizes (Which sometimes exceeds 2GB).
Old 22nd January 2019, 03:53   #3232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Hi guys, need suggestions for a Graphic Designing unit.
Now I need to upgrade.

Primary concern is reliability - do I go for assembled again or the branded route. If branded, would I get the specs I want within my budget. (50k to 100k if needed).
Don't see any reason to go the branded route, as you can pay to have the same parts in an assembled PC, and it will still cost less.
Reliability will honestly not be any different whether you go for a branded or assembled PC. What will be different, is the service and warranty offered when something does go wrong. However, if you share good relations with your local computer store, I'm sure that they will give you good service, it's just that you would need to take the PC to them

Here's a short article for you, along with suggested builds for a PC built for graphic design: https://www.cgdirector.com/best-comp...raphic-design/
I like the way the author has broken things down, and made them simple, to give a clear understanding of what you really require based on what you do.

I hope this helps, and feel free to raise any questions you have.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:58   #3233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Primary concern is reliability - do I go for assembled again or the branded route.
Assembled, as already recommended by Joxster. In my experience, assembled holds up as well as branded for as long as it is not anything mission critical.

Stick to an Intel platform. They perform better for most single threaded tasks. You can look at a Intel Core i5 8600k. Pair this with some high quality dual channel memory kit from G Skill, a nice motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus such as the Asus Z370 motherboard, an M2 NVME boot drive from Samsung (970 Evo). Get a secondary SSD drive too. The prices have come down quiet a bit for solid state drives. It should be possible to put this all together into a relatively slim cabinet and not to forget, a good power supply from Seasonic or Corsair SF450.
Old 10th March 2019, 15:02   #3234

Hi,

My 11 year old Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW monitor did not turn on after a routine cleaning yesterday. I have tried different power cables and power sockets but no help.

Samsung service guys called, within an hour, after I registered a complaint. Their estimate is 2.5k for repair/replace of the power supply board. At this price, I am better off buying a new monitor.

I would like to revive this before adding more e-waste to this world. I am just wondering if someone can point me to a local repair person in Nehru Place who can fix it in less than 1k. Any other option is also welcome.
Old 11th March 2019, 09:33   #3235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
Hi,

My 11 year old Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW monitor did not turn on after a routine cleaning yesterday. I have tried different power cables and power sockets but no help.

Samsung service guys called, within an hour, after I registered a complaint. Their estimate is 2.5k for repair/replace of the power supply board. At this price, I am better off buying a new monitor.

I would like to revive this before adding more e-waste to this world. I am just wondering if someone can point me to a local repair person in Nehru Place who can fix it in less than 1k. Any other option is also welcome.
I got a similar model of sync master repaired from a local TV repair guy for 800 bucks. Try local TV repair guys first.
Old 11th March 2019, 13:26   #3236
Distinguished - BHPian

My previous monitor was a Sync Master. I do not recall the age or model.

When the screen went dead, I had the backlight replaced by a local computer-maintenance company. It was not long before a permanent green line appeared on the screen. They told me that this would require a new LCD and, even if they could source it, it was probably not worth it.

These things are very far from immortal (the old CRT monitors lasted longer) and 11 years is a good age. It's a gamble spending money on it now. Of course, you might win, and get several more years. I took the excuse to buy the very nice (and rather expensive) Dell Ultrasharp that I have now. Which will also not live forever :(
Old 11th March 2019, 15:21   #3237

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I got a similar model of sync master repaired from a local TV repair guy for 800 bucks. Try local TV repair guys first.
Thanks. I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My previous monitor was a Sync Master. I do not recall the age or model. ....
This one is from the age when Samsung was the king and very reliable.

I am sure the panel is not faulty, it is just the power supply. If it was the panel, I would have dumped it already.

I could just walk down to Nehru Place and get harassed by the multiple options. The only problem is that more than half of them are cheats. Hence, looking for a recommendation.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:50   #3238
Senior - BHPian

Re: Windows Image from HDD to SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Use Macrium Reflect 7 Free edition. Macrium Reflect is the best imaging software I've ever used..and believe me I've used several reputed ones. I've been using the paid version on all my home PCs and laptop for the past 6 years now.

MR Free

I have been using Acronis for long. I have tried macrium and aomei. I had no issue with Macrium but sometimes on recovery completion, even the BIOS could not load. Maybe something in my system. However, it did not matter since Acronis has worked for me well since 2010-11. I still use Acronis 2016 as I find it much better, lower space, and less garbage than 2017-19 editions.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:55   #3239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the time Nehru Place shops are lower priced compared to online. You can always haggle to lower the price they quote initially. Then there is the luxury of practically instant replacement of defective pieces.

There are some retailers who are also whole sellers, but tucked away on the second to third floor areas. Do take some time to check out all the shops selling CPU and compare their prices.

I used to buy from Nehru Place based on your recommendations. Prices are generally cheaper and if you get a good dealer, then it is great. Amazon or primeabgb are more expensive, but on amazon especially, the biggest plus is ease of return and refund. I got a clunky Ironwolf 4TB in July 2018. So I ordered a replacement and it came. However, subsequently I changed my mind, and ordered it returned it (did not open the replacement so as to avoid spoiling the disk). At amazon usually, it is one replacement and second time is return. At Nehru Place, returns and replacement usually can be tricky with a lot of dealers.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:57   #3240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Is there merit in getting a processor from the US? My sister is in New York and I was thinking maybe she could carry the latest i9 9900k with her as the price difference is more than 20k. Its available for 37k in US vs 57-60k in India.

Any reason to not go ahead with this decision?

Even if I could buy a processor from US if prices are cheaper. As to motherboard, I prefer buying from India as I can get warranty and better service. I have had no processor failure but 1-2 motherboard failures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks