Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 13:11   #3271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

You could try upgrading all the ram to the same spec.

Check with the pc/motherboard specs to see what is supported. Probably available online if you no longer have the manual.

It's a gamble!

Is all this reinstall stuff still part of the windows culture, after so many years?

Find it hard to think that an OS will not support 1920: that's not old! My monitor is only a year or two old. Isn't even VGA sort-of supported? Isn't that what the system falls back to when it crashes and has no running drivers to support anything else?
Old 5th September 2019, 13:45   #3272
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar situation as Sagar Padaki: Old Desktop with Win7 on it. But with just 2 slots, both with 2GB each - 10600U DDR3 RAM. Looking to order something - I see 4GB modules starting at about 900 each on Ebay UK. Thinking between 8GB x1 or 4GBx2.
Old 5th September 2019, 14:05   #3273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes, you are right. However, the PC is 10+ years old and i could not get the Transcend ram with same ram timings as the one on the PC. Hence had to get 2 kingston sticks.
I had this issue with my earlier PC with DDR2 RAM. DDR2 was expensive compared to 3 and I had a 2GB in one slot. Went and got another 2GB but with a faster clock speed and the PC did not boot up, similar to yours. This was running Win7 64Bit. But later I went to the shop since he was a known guy and he gave me RAM of similar clock and there was another parameter I forgot. That time it worked correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Similar situation as Sagar Padaki: Old Desktop with Win7 on it. But with just 2 slots, both with 2GB each - 10600U DDR3 RAM. Looking to order something - I see 4GB modules starting at about 900 each on Ebay UK. Thinking between 8GB x1 or 4GBx2.
Have you checked the motherboard specs for the clock speeds and sizes it can accomodate? It will prevent you from ordering something which is incompatible.
Old 5th September 2019, 14:10   #3274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I had this issue with my earlier PC with DDR2 RAM. DDR2 was expensive compared to 3 and I had a 2GB in one slot. Went and got another 2GB but with a faster clock speed and the PC did not boot up, similar to yours. This was running Win7 64Bit. But later I went to the shop since he was a known guy and he gave me RAM of similar clock and there was another parameter I forgot. That time it worked correctly.
For me, the clock speed is the same for old and new RAM. The timings are different.
Old 5th September 2019, 14:21   #3275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Have you checked the motherboard specs for the clock speeds and sizes it can accomodate? It will prevent you from ordering something which is incompatible.
the modules I have currently are of the specs I have mentioned. Hence looking for same spec stuff: DDR3 1333 MHz, 240 Pin DIMM. Initially thought of getting one 4GB to go with one of the 2GB modules, but if the two dont work with each other, then I would end up with 4GB only.

Incidentally, server DIMM's are cheapest, followed by AMD only modules. Intel compatible stuff are more expensive.

Last edited by condor : 5th September 2019 at 14:24.
Old 13th October 2019, 17:40   #3276
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a 8GB Crucial DDR3 1333MHz, 240-Pin DIMM off eBay UK. 1.8k the price. The old comp is now at 10GB RAM ( this one paired with one of the older 2GB modules. Looking fine.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-crucial8gb.jpg
Old 8th November 2019, 13:03   #3277
BHPian

Hi Team,

I have to replace my desktop display unit. It is for minimal usage.

Found this on Amazon, please suggest if I can go ahead for this:
https://www.amazon.in/Dell-19-5-inch...mputers&sr=1-1

Specifications:
Brand Dell
Colour BALCK
Item Height 39.4 Centimeters
Item Width 16.5 Centimeters
Screen Size 20 Inches
Maximum Display Resolution 1600x900
Item Weight 2.99 Kg
Product Dimensions 47 x 16.5 x 39.4 cm
Item model number E2016HV
Number of VGA Ports 1
Voltage 120 Volts
Wattage 15 Watts
Included Components Monitor with Stand, Power Cable, Power Adapter

@Mods, if I have to post it elsewhere, please move it accordingly.

Thank you.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 8th November 2019 at 13:04. Reason: typo
Old 8th November 2019, 14:57   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Hi Team,

I have to replace my desktop display unit. It is for minimal usage.

Check if your desktop has a VGA input, else you will need an adapter cable.
In this day, I would recommend that you get a full HD display - 1920x1080 rather than 1600x900.
https://www.amazon.in/Dell-21-5-inch...s%2C292&sr=1-6
Old 8th November 2019, 22:27   #3279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Check if your desktop has a VGA input, else you will need an adapter cable.
In this day, I would recommend that you get a full HD display - 1920x1080 rather than 1600x900.
https://www.amazon.in/Dell-21-5-inch...s%2C292&sr=1-6
Thank you Roy . Yes it does have a VGA input. I will buy the one you suggested. Thanks ton.
Old 13th November 2019, 14:24   #3280
Senior - BHPian

It would be rare for a desktop PC of past 4-5 years to have only a VGA port. At least HDMI is there. Yes, FHD (1920*1080p) is minimum in case you wish to upgrade your PC later.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:25   #3281
BHPian

Hi, I was wondering to ask this question for a while. We have an assembled PC at my parents place in Palakkad Kerala which keeps throwing out error after error very often that i am frankly tired of its shenanigans. I use it for basic movie viewing and CS 1.6/Warcraft 3 whenever i am home.

I already have 2 other laptops, one microsoft surface which are barely used.

Would it be better if i replaced it with a branded PC where i can be at least assured of some warranties. If yes what make would you suggest and what warranty coverage would you recommend.
Old 19th November 2019, 13:48   #3282
Distinguished - BHPian

It depends what your errors are. I have a ten-year-old assembled PC. I have replaced a couple of hard disks and a power supply. Like cars, such things can be expected.

If you can find a good local technician, you should be able to find the source of your errors. Replacement parts, or even upgrade parts, can make use of the same case, power supply, HDD if sound. I intend never to replace PC cabinet while motherboards are still made that will fit it!

On the other hand, I can no longer be bothered with trouble-shooting or building. A good technician will sort my problem in 10% of the time I would take (unless it's Linux-related, on which case I know more than he does) and is not expensive.

But, if you desire something shiny-new and all up-to-date, fair enough. My knowledge of boards, CPUs, etc, is as old as my PC. Over to others...
Old 20th November 2019, 08:46   #3283
BHPian

Sir, errors was an understatement, it is a PC past its teenage and is bogged with loose connectors and all erratic behaviour. Yes i am seriously thinking of something new and shiny. I am no good with knowing a decent configuration to assemble a PC. So in two minds if i depend on some computer store guy to offload his old stocks onto me or go with something branded.

Unless i know at least a bit of knowledge about configuration to assemble a PC, i do not want to. For the moment not sure what motherboard to start from.
I am thinking at least an i5, around 8 GB of RAM, A TB of hard disc and probably 250 odd GB of SSD as well, a half decent graphics card.
I am not sure what motherboard would do best, what rating of SMBS to be used for all this.
If only i knew make and model of what is decent for these, i could try assembling.
Hence the request for suggestion.
Or would be simpler for just configuring one such PC in the Dell website.
Old 20th November 2019, 09:18   #3284
Team-BHP Support

/OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Unless i know at least a bit of knowledge about configuration to assemble a PC, i do not want to.
Dude, don't worry about the assembling part. Get your components sorted, we can assemble in the company itself. Order all the stuff from e-retailers to your desk. Will take about an hour tops.

Unfortunately, I'm not very well versed with the computer scene now so I've no idea what's the latest tech. But I've assembled several desktop systems before so I can do this part.
Old 20th November 2019, 12:30   #3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Sir, errors was an understatement, .....
Or would be simpler for just configuring one such PC in the Dell website.
You can start here - https://in.pcpartpicker.com/

Or

Give us your requirements and budget and we will do it for you, picking the right parts, that is. Assembling, you might need help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks