Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 10:34   #3316
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
AMD has been reporting solid increase in CPUs as per their investor relations. I now find them vastly better VFM. I wonder when will Intel see the hit and cut prices of their CPUs to better compete with AMD. i9-9900k is overpriced and so is i7-9700k.
More likely that Intel will be forced to reduce its cpu prices for laptops. IIRC, AMD is using a 7nm process that should have superior power saving which is a significant plus point for laptops. Lower prices for Intel based laptops seem to be happening already. Also AMD cpus now have integrated graphics that are significantly better than what Intel offers.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 16:39   #3317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Just select the ssd directly not the UEFI version. It should boot.
Hey Buddy. I need your help again. So once the system booted, I thought of doing a clean install of windows again. Now considering the device booted, I ran the setup and went well till 26% of the installation. Since then, the system has been rebooting and either gets stuck on the windows logo or the " preparing automatic repair " page.

Now, the system doesn't boot at all. Please help if you or anyone can. I have gone through multiple links online but haven't found a solution.

Also, lastly, I was facing the same problem earlier that the system once restarted, it will not boot on its own. I had to manually do a hard reset every time. I tried removing the 2TB D drive but the results still remain the same.

PS: I don't know but whenever I touch the case, I get a shock ( though it's mild ). Can it be a grounding issue?

Last edited by aditya.bhardwaj : 28th March 2020 at 16:43.
Old 28th March 2020, 19:13   #3318
Senior - BHPian

Looks like your boot drive is either dead or on its last legs. It would make sense to replace the drive once this madness is over.
Old 29th March 2020, 12:13   #3319
Senior - BHPian

After a long wait and after thinking about desktop vs laptop. I finally built a new desktop in February.

Below is the configuration

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz RAM.
Intel 660p 512GB NVMe SSD
Inno 3D RTX 2060 Super 8GB
DeepCool Gammax GT CPU cooler
Antec NE650 semi modular 80+ Bronze rated PSU
Antec NX800 case.

Excuse the poor quality GIF, team bhp doesn't allow uploading videos.
Attached Images

F150 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 22:04   #3320
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like your boot drive is either dead or on its last legs. It would make sense to replace the drive once this madness is over.
Thanks. Well i got frustrated and took apart the whole PC as fortunately i had some thermal paste left. Put it back together and it booted just fine. No idea how it happened. its running fine now.

I did one mistake though. I had plugged in the liquid cooling's power supply incorrectly, and the moment i started the PC, i heard a loud pop and the cooler stopped functioning. Now running on a stock cooler. I guess the time has come for an upgrade.
Old 27th April 2020, 14:04   #3321
Senior - BHPian

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Hi Guys.

Can anyone suggest me a good monitor for work from home purposes. Considering the increased number of hours we are/will be spending at home, I am planning to set up a proper home office with a relatively large monitor that will also help me with my posture. With the laptop I tend to lean forward hurting my neck and spine most of the time.

My requirements are:

1. At least 27 inch and going up to max 34 inch.

2. Preferably LG/Samsung

3. A height adjustable stand would be nice

4. Will mostly be used for MS-office, reading and editing documents, power point, occasional netflix and very occasional video editing.

5. Multiple HDMI and USB ports. Should be able to seamlessly connect with my Thinkpad and MacBook. Not simultaneously though.

6. Dont really need an Ultra Wide monitor. I really like the way they look but they are super expensive.

Budget: I have no idea because I have not been in touch with the desktop lately. Is 30k a good budget for a monitor?

Last edited by Pancham : 27th April 2020 at 14:09.
Old 27th April 2020, 19:31   #3322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
6. Dont really need an Ultra Wide monitor. I really like the way they look but they are super expensive.
Really, these wide formats are only good for films with the same format or, in the commercial world, wide spreadsheets. I am trying hard to at least stay with 16:10, rather than go to the more usual 16:9. (I hope I got those numbers right: I'm bad at numbers!)

Hoping to keep my Dell Ultrasharp 24-inch for a long time, but, woe-is-stupid-me I did put a long scratch in it carelessly mis-handling a blade*. I think I'd have to go to 32-inch 16:9 to keep the height, and the price difference is huge.

But for you... consider the work you do. If it does involve a lot of spreadsheets, wide might be good. If it is more A4-page stuff, then height is best, unless you have the cash and space for a screen big enough to have two full windows side by side.

Oh wait...
Quote:
That covers that, then!

For comfort, with any monitor, I love my Ergotron Arm. In fact I would say that it is the best computer system upgrade I have made ever. But they are expensive: at least to buy in India they are.

========
*It was a scalpel, very sharp, so the scratch is very clean and barely visible except against a black background, so monitor replacement is not at all a priority, but these things always get worse not better. And yes, I tried the Vaseline thing. And no, I don't really want to try polishing it, because then I will have a wider stripe where the screen matte finish gets polished, which I fear would be more visible than the scratch.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th April 2020 at 19:32.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:53   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi Guys.

Can anyone suggest me a good monitor for work from home purposes. Considering the increased number of hours we are/will be spending at home, I am planning to set up a proper home office with a relatively large monitor that will also help me with my posture. With the laptop I tend to lean forward hurting my neck and spine most of the time.

My requirements are:

2. Preferably LG/Samsung

3. A height adjustable stand would be nice

4. Will mostly be used for MS-office, reading and editing documents, power point, occasional netflix and very occasional video editing.

5. Multiple HDMI and USB ports. Should be able to seamlessly connect with my Thinkpad and MacBook. Not simultaneously though.

Budget: I have no idea because I have not been in touch with the desktop lately. Is 30k a good budget for a monitor?
Look up on Amazon, Flipkart and Chroma sites. You will get a wide choice of LG and Samsung Monitors. Once you short list the models chack the specifications on manufacturers site. The prices are anywhere from 10K for 23" to 25K+ for larger monitors. At times a better monitor goes for less than an inferior one, so compare the specs between models carefully.

Does your computer support multiple displays? If so getting two 24" will be a better idea. I have 3 24" monitors on my desktop and believe me that is much better than one 30" monitor (my son has one).
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:48   #3324
BANNED

I need a PC for my academic research. The work involves the use of software for computational analysis, mathematical modelling and design.
I am looking for a CPU that is better than an i7 with 8 GB Ram which is my inadequate laptop's configuration.
Can you please suggest a suitable configuration along with estimated cost and source in Mumbai ?
Old 7th May 2020, 14:10   #3325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
software for computational analysis, mathematical modelling and design.
Would it not help to outsource the task to a cluster - high performance computing clusters / supercomputers / etc? I assume you might have easy access to them.

It would appear that your work might be intensive both in memory (modeling and design) and processing (computations). You may have to worry about all four - CPUs (such as Ryzen 39xx, i9-9900K); GPUs; RAMs (>16GB); and storage disk (fast transfer speed SSDs).

A computing cluster could resolve much of the issues and also scaling over time?
Old 7th May 2020, 14:35   #3326
BANNED

I need this for my home because this is my personal research.
I have a large monitor already.
I will look at the Ryzen and i9 options.
I may have to make a trip to Lamington road post lockdown; I used to assemble my PCs from there a long time ago.
Old 7th May 2020, 15:36   #3327
BHPian

Quote:
I need a PC for my academic research. The work involves the use of software for computational analysis, mathematical modelling and design.
I am looking for a CPU that is better than an i7 with 8 GB Ram which is my inadequate laptop's configuration.
Can you please suggest a suitable configuration?
What is your budget? That is the key consideration here.

Edit: It's also very important to note that laptop CPUs are far less powerful than desktop CPUs. A desktop i7/Ryzen 7 will be way more powerful than their laptop counterparts, as they don't focus on efficiency, or starve the CPU of power. Here's an example - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...00K/3425vs3335

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 7th May 2020 at 15:56.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:04   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please suggest a suitable configuration along with estimated cost and source in Mumbai ?
The best method of cranking up performance is to have a lot of cores. As I had a lot of CPU intensive tasks, I assembled a Dual Xeon machine with 8 cores. Even after 10 years it keeps up with many machines in CPU intensive tasks. Of course your software should be able to utilise the cores and extract the maximum performance, In my case I write code in C++, so was able to generate highly efficient multi core code.

The best CPU have 6, 8 and at times 12 cores, but 8 cores are priced sanely, so you can get a dual XEON machines with 16 cores. If you want a ready made machine search for "Workstation" class machines that support 2 XEON chips. Else you can assemble one at half the cost.

Another thing is that 8GB RAM is inadequate in today's world. Think of 32GB or 64GB if not 128GB. At least choose a MB that can support 8 RAM slots of 8GB+ modules.

NOTE
Another method started in Universities is to use a cluster. Buy/Assemble a dozen or more Boxes with I5/I7, network them and use Linux cluster software. The boxes can be bare bones with CPU, RAM and an onboard display. You can even share the keyboard with a keyboard switch.

Last edited by Aroy : 8th May 2020 at 11:08.
Old 8th May 2020, 11:38   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The best method of cranking up performance is to have a lot of cores. As I had a lot of CPU intensive tasks, I assembled a Dual Xeon machine with 8 cores. Even after 10 years it keeps up with many machines in CPU intensive tasks. Of course your software should be able to utilise the cores and extract the maximum performance, In my case I write code in C++, so was able to generate highly efficient multi core code.

The best CPU have 6, 8 and at times 12 cores, but 8 cores are priced sanely, so you can get a dual XEON machines with 16 cores. If you want a ready made machine search for "Workstation" class machines that support 2 XEON chips. Else you can assemble one at half the cost.
The best CPUs now have upto 64 cores. Intel has lost the core race. Xeons are just overpriced relics of the past now unless you are running a farm. Intel CPUs also suffer from multiple security flaws from which AMD chips are immune. There is no way your ten year old 8 core can keep up with a modern 6 core ryzen, let alone the higher core count CPUs.

Even in those AMD epycs are a better choice for performance per watt. The best option is the Ryzen Threadripper if one has the budget. It is available in 24/32/64 core variants in a single socket.

For lower budgets, even a desktop ryzen can have 16 cores / 32 threads. Obviously the maximum amount of ram supported is lower at 128GB, but that is enough for 99.9% of workstation users. I run a 16 core 3950x with 64GB memory. It is blazing fast for the money. This chip itself has made Intel's entire HEDT line obsolete. My compile times with this chip dropped 6x compared to a two year old 6 core Intel i5. While Unreal Engine 4 would take around 35-36 minutes earlier, now it takes 5-6 minutes.
reignofchaos is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 13:06   #3330
BHPian

Quote:
The best CPUs now have upto 64 cores. Intel has lost the core race. Xeons are just overpriced relics of the past now unless you are running a farm. Intel CPUs also suffer from multiple security flaws from which AMD chips are immune.
Couldn't have put it better myself. I was waiting to see what fiestarry's budget was before suggesting a CPU and build, but for a workstation, AMD is the way to go without any doubts. Intel's architecture is just too old and costly to be competitive anymore. Tons of bench-marking tests on the Internet to prove this.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks