Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2020, 16:57   #3361
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Here is a setup that I have so far come up with:
The case you selected is probably the best mini-ATX you can get for that price. For the motherboard, instead of the ASUS PRIME B450M-K, I would recommend the Gigabyte B450M DS3H. It has much better VRMs, and superior build quality.

Normally, I would not recommend buying RAM in two stages, but if you buy identical memory sticks, it should be fine. Can't really comment on the pricing unfortunately, because I am not in touch with the Indian market anymore, except for what is on Amazon.

Quote:
Also, can someone comment on the overall gaming capability of the system post all upgrades? I checked on https://www.game-debate.com/, and except for the graphics card, all is shown very good (graphics card is given a 6.8 / 10).
Based on the games you play, the system would be fine, except for the RAM in the case of AoE II DE - even 16GB of RAM is not enough for the game at times, due to the inferior optimization of the game engine. But, I guess this is something you can live with.

Cheers

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th May 2020 at 11:51. Reason: Trimmed quotes.
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 16:58   #3362
BANNED

Quote:
Hello guys, a query from a Mac user.

Over time, I have been using my iMac (mid 2011, 21.5 inch) and retina MacBook Pro 2015 quite happily. However, have recently re-started playing games like Age of Empires 2 DE, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Cities Skyline. Now, even though I play AOE 2 off Windows in my MacBook, it’s still a little slow at times - especially when playing multiplayer online.
Since the games that you are planning to play are not the most cpu or gpu demanding (except cities skylines which can use a better cpu no matter what you use), you can try to go for an APU so that you don't need to put down for a graphics card at the near future.

Ryzen 3400G or 3200G is good enough starting point for gaming and you would also save power if you are using the cpu as mostly a server. If you do feel the need for a discrete gpu later, then you can add it later the CPU is good enough for most use cases.

As for trying to save money,
1. PSU. You can go for the Corsair VS450. Yes its a tier below the CX but it is still a quality PSU with good components and the wattage is good enough. Cost is 2300
2. Motherboard. This is one place i would actually not recommend that you cut corners, even the b450 board that you have selected is quite weak. If you do want to go for b450 for its features and OC support, please get a good quality one Like MSI b450 Gaming plus/Tomahawk. They are expensive though at around 9-10k. If you don't feel like spending that much, i would rather suggest get a cheapo A320 Mobo that will be under 4k. Not much advantage in going with a cheap b450 board versus this.

FYI, if you are interested in going the APU route and can wait, do hold out for the new Ryzen APUs coming out most likely in the next 2 months. Will also launch with new A520 boards.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th May 2020 at 16:40. Reason: Shortening quote :)
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 17:22   #3363
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton Samfromindia & Joxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
...hopefully this will give you a better reference.
PERFECT... that's all I needed to convince me that it'll work & be good enough.

Quote:
...but more by the chipset, which is where the PCIe 2 vs PCIe 3 comes in.
I remember seeing some test that said there was zero difference between PCIe2 vs 3. In fact, 3 performed worse in some cases?

Not really looking it up again, because I don't want to go down that rabbit hole

Going forward:

Any tips on which brand of 2070 Super should i get?

What do i need to look out for / what are the differences (other than ports)?

Any brand to try for / avoid?
  • ASUS
  • COLORFUL
  • GALAX
  • GIGABTYE
  • INNO3D
  • MSI
  • PNY (60k!!?)
  • ZOTAC

In stock at PrimeABGB:
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-rtx-2070-sannotation-20200526-171649.png
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 17:52   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thanks a ton Samfromindia & Joxster!
Always happy to help where I can!

Quote:
I remember seeing some test that said there was zero difference between PCIe2 vs 3. In fact, 3 performed worse in some cases?
Let's indeed not go down that rabbit hole. To answer your question though, it boils down to the device, not the technology itself. Not all devices are able to fully utilize or saturate the extra bandwidth of the higher PCIe version, but new NVIDIA GPUs are not part of that list.
My GTX 1080 Ti switches from 2.5 GT/s at idle to 8.0 GT/s at full AVX load, so it definitely benefits from PCIe 3.0.

Quote:

I would avoid ASUS & ZOTAC based on personal experience for sure. Not much of experience with most of the other brands (except MSI), but based off of actual user's experience on a tech Discord server that I am part of, I would choose between the Gigabyte & MSI cards from your screenshot. The Gaming X Trio in particular is supposed to be the best 2070 Super from what I've been told (it's also what I would choose for myself), and has the best cooling for the card out of the competition.

The differences between them comes down to heatsink, fan quality, thermal transfer ability and the speeds which each OEM clocks them to.

Cheers

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2020 at 19:27. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 19:04   #3365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
Guys, i am building a PC for my friend for video editing/ rendering purposes and came up with the following list. I have added the capability to run another RTX 2080 ti in the future - let me know your thoughts.
You're spending 1.1 Lakhs on a graphics card.... and only getting 16 GB of RAM?

That aside, what software does your friend use to video edit? That plays a part.

I'm assuming it's Adobe Premiere / After Effects?

The last time i researched this stuff (10 years ago), I think it mostly came down to the number of CUDA cores, and that's it! So buying the top of the line GFX card might not be the smartest spend of money.

(Also a common misconception is that all the graphic work is done by the graphics card. In Premiere for example, it's mostly just the accelerated effects (lego block with the |> play icon on them) that benefit from the graphics card. CPU, RAM and Disk I/O play an equal or bigger part).

Have you read any Puget Systems articles?

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
What GPU (video card) is best for After Effects?

For After Effects, it is extremely important to have a supported GPU, but the actual performance of that card will not make a major impact on performance. Compared to the high-end RTX 2080 Ti, even a GTX 1060 is only about 6% slower. Once you get to a GTX 1070 Ti, the difference shrinks further to only a few percent.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-pugetpic_disp.jpg
Also the upcoming version of Adobe suite will support NVENC, so that'll be AWESOME.

Quote:
... I would choose between the Gigabyte & MSI cards from your screenshot. The Gaming X Trio in particular is supposed to be the best 2070 Super from what I've been told (it's also what I would choose for myself), and has the best cooling for the card out of the competition.
Brilliant. Thanks for that recommendation.

Cooling is super important in our climate, and now that you've given me some direction I've seen a lot of good things said about the MSI Gaming X Trio.

Hopefully this will be it!

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th May 2020 at 19:57.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 00:20   #3366
BANNED

Quote:

Best investment would be the Zotac Amp version since they provide total 5 years warranty in India. Unmatched and also helps in keeping a good resale value.
If you want to save some money then Galax/Inno3D are the best VFM for the card and their support is good but you have to mail the card to Delhi in some cases.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th May 2020 at 11:54. Reason: Trimmed quote.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 09:36   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
You're spending 1.1 Lakhs on a graphics card.... and only getting 16 GB of RAM?...
Quote:
You're spending 1.1 Lakhs on a graphics card.... and only getting 16 GB of RAM?
I think you might have missed the quantity tab, which says 4 = 64 GB DDR4 3200

Quote:
I'm assuming it's Adobe Premiere / After Effects?
This is the list of software's he said he would be using - Maya, Cinema4d, After effects, V-Ray render engine, PR Renderman, Arnold Render and Octane Render.

Quote:
The last time I researched this stuff (10 years ago), I think it mostly came down to the number of CUDA cores, and that's it! So buying the top of the line GFX card might not be the smartest spend of money.
The higher the card, the more number of Cuda cores, the GTX 1060 has around 1200 cuda cores while the RTX 2080ti has 4,352 cuda cores and the extra Tesser and Ray Tracing cores. RTX plays an important part as most software's will start (maya 2020 will and few already support) RTX.

The After effects scenario is because that is a high CPU dependent software. Hence the negligible difference in GPU performances.

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2020 at 09:58. Reason: fixed quotes
Rohit_Quad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 11:45   #3368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you might have missed the quantity tab, which says 4 = 64 GB DDR4 3200
My bad, sorry!. I saw the (unit) price but missed the Qty.

Quote:
This is the list of software's he said he would be using - Maya, Cinema4d, After effects, V-Ray render engine, PR Renderman, Arnold Render and Octane Render.
Okay... so more 3D work and Afer Effects than actual video editing (Premiere).

That helps in evaluating what's important.

Quote:
The higher the card, the more number of Cuda cores, the GTX 1060 has around 1200 cuda cores while the RTX 2080ti has 4,352 cuda cores
To clarify - My CUDA cores comment was for Premiere, while the quote from PugetSystems comparing 1060 to 2020ti was for After Effects.

Agree with you about RTX features being important for Maya and maybe even other "AI" features in upcoming versions of AE etc. (At least until some Nvidia update brings all those features to GTX too )

However, I think overall what I was trying to suggest was : Why not get a 2070 Super instead and put the saved 60k towards other components that might overall speed things up (more than the difference between 2070S & 2080ti would)?

Maybe that 50-60k saved on the card could probably be put to better use elsewhere in the system?

Another idea: Would having 2x 2070 Super in SLI have more of a benefit than 1 2080 ti? Would be cheaper too! I was casually looking this up a few days back and only found 1 maya forum post that said viewport performance was actually worse with SLI!! However, with Arnold being so GPU focussed, I'd hope SLI support in Maya would be fine tuned soon?

As for C4D and the other renderers, I don't know much about them. If the 2070S vs 2080ti difference is worth it in those softwares, then I guess my thoughts above are moot.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2020 at 11:48.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:37   #3369
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions eveyone

As per Josters suggestion i changed the PSU to a 1000 watt (Nvlink ready), guess i'll need to tune the ram timings and speed. Also changed the GPU.

@Rehaan - my initial build was a Ryzen 5 3600x with a RTX 2080 Super. and a B450 mobo But my friend wanted the max vram as possible and apparently the RTX 2080ti will also be maxed out for his work. Quadro cards are what these guys use, but my friend doesn't have the budget. Hence Nvlink in future for a second RTX 2080ti. For now this is the final build -
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-capture.jpg  

Rohit_Quad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 18:51   #3370
BANNED

Quote:

@Rehaan - my initial build was a Ryzen 5 3600x with a RTX 2080 Super. and a B450 mobo But my friend wanted the max vram as possible and apparently the RTX 2080ti will also be maxed out for his work. Quadro cards are what these guys use, but my friend doesn't have the budget. Hence Nvlink in future for a second RTX 2080ti.
RTX cards can't stack VRAM like the Quadros can, so don't pin your hopes on later being able to add another card for VRAM.
Refer here

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...ndows-10-1253/

If you just need highest VRAM, then Radeon 7 has 16GB hbm2 but the performance is not on the same level. High vram though is the major differenciating factor between Consumer and enterprise lines so that is expected.
Also are you sure that your friend won't benefit from a higher core count part like threadripper?

Also another suggestion that i want to give is to go for 3600 Mhz RAM at least, Zen2 loves faster RAM and 3600 mhz allows 1:1 Infinity fabric operation since its stock speed is 1800mhz. Price difference won't be much given that you have a good budget.

Last edited by agambhandari : 27th May 2020 at 18:53.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 11:53   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
RTX cards can't stack VRAM like the Quadros can, so don't pin your hopes on later being able to add another card for VRAM.
Refer here

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...ndows-10-1253/

If you just need highest VRAM, then Radeon 7 has 16GB hbm2 but the performance is not on the same level. High vram though is the major differenciating factor between Consumer and enterprise lines so that is expected.
Also are you sure that your friend won't benefit from a higher core count part like threadripper?

Also another suggestion that i want to give is to go for 3600 Mhz RAM at least, Zen2 loves faster RAM and 3600 mhz allows 1:1 Infinity fabric operation since its stock speed is 1800mhz. Price difference won't be much given that you have a good budget.
Thanks for pointing out about the VRAM, assumed like the quadro we could stack using NVLINK, but that is not the case with the consumer cards. But apparently we can dedicate individual tasks separately for each card. And about the Ram, i know we have to overclock it, to use the 3600mhz or it will clock down to 3200mhz by default. Can you find any decent ram (64gb in total), of 3600mhz speed? Cause they are out of stock everywhere. I am looking at something like this - https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pri...00c16q-64gvkc/. Do you think this is good option for the AMD build, as in the specs it says Intel XMP ready, but no mention of other XMP profiles.
Old 29th May 2020, 11:58   #3372
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out about the VRAM, assumed like the quadro we could stack using NVLINK, but that is not the case with the consumer cards. But apparently we can dedicate individual tasks separately for each card. And about the Ram, i know we have to overclock it, to use the 3600mhz or it will clock down to 3200mhz by default. Can you find any decent ram (64gb in total), of 3600mhz speed? Cause they are out of stock everywhere. I am looking at something like this - https://www.primeabgb.com/online-pri...00c16q-64gvkc/. Do you think this is good option for the AMD build, as in the specs it says Intel XMP ready, but no mention of other XMP profiles.
Any 3600 Mhz RAM will have an XMP profile which can be enabled easily in the Bios. Works on both Intel and amd. I bought 3200 Mhz RAM without knowing this stuff thinking 3200 seems fast enough. I have the 3200 Mhz ripjaws and tried OC to 3600 but it wasn't stable 3200 Mhz Ripjaws is working great in my Ryzen System. You can go for any 3600 Mhz RAM, even if kit isn't available, you can get separate sticks as well. Should not be very different.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 17:53   #3373
BHPian

Hi guys, so I had a query about which SSD & HDD to purchase for my home PC, as the WD Blue 500GB is almost at the end of its life. I have a budget of about 6-7k max, and was thinking of going for 240GB 2.5 SSD & 1TB HDD. Which models will you recommend ?
Old 6th June 2020, 18:52   #3374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Hi guys, so I had a query about which SSD & HDD to purchase for my home PC, as the WD Blue 500GB is almost at the end of its life. I have a budget of about 6-7k max, and was thinking of going for 240GB 2.5 SSD & 1TB HDD. Which models will you recommend ?
Are you looking at the NVME cards or the regular SATA cards for SSD ? NVME would be costlier compared to the regular SATA. For the budget 7-9K you should be able to get a 500GB SSD (SATA).
Old 6th June 2020, 18:55   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Are you looking at the NVME cards or the regular SATA cards for SSD ? NVME would be costlier compared to the regular SATA. For the budget 7-9K you should be able to get a 500GB SSD (SATA).
I'm looking at the SATA ones, and my budget is for both the drives.

Most Viewed