Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2020, 19:16   #3376
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
I'm looking at the SATA ones, and my budget is for both the drives.
If i were you, having a budget of 9k for 1.3Tb storage, i will happily skip any magnetic drive and go SSD only.

Last time i checked price of this 1TB NVMe Crucial SSD at local stores in Kolkata, it was around 9.5K. Sure it doesn't offer 970 Evo level performance however its much better for anything you get at this price.
https://mdcomputers.in/crucial-p1-10...000p1ssd8.html

There is a SATA version also costing 1-1.5K cheaper.

As for second drive, wait for sometime & save some cash and hopefully prices of SSD will fall down even further.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 6th June 2020 at 19:28.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:24   #3377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
If i were you, having a budget of 9k for 1.3Tb storage, i will happily skip any magnetic drive and go SSD only.
Thanks a ton. I dont think so my H61m MoBo supports a NVMe type SSD, and frankly i cant upgrade that now coz dad's money. Ill still wait for the prices to come down. Also which is better, Crucial/Kingston/WD ?

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2020 at 19:27. Reason: trimmed quoted post
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:32   #3378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm looking at the SATA ones, and my budget is for both the drives.
Quote:
Agreed. Refer this link

But then board should support NVME.

Even for SATA you can get the Samsung QVO.

Its not as fast as the EVO, but anyday better than HDD.

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2020 at 19:36.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 00:01   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
Last time i checked price of this 1TB NVMe Crucial SSD at local stores in Kolkata, it was around 9.5K. Sure it doesn't offer 970 Evo level performance however its much better for anything you get at this price.
Just be aware that the Crucial P1 NVMe SSD has known thermal issues, and ends up throttling its performance fairly quickly due to overheating. This has been noted in reviews, and also reported by people I know. Here is a review for reference.

My choice would be the Intel 660p at that price-point.

Quote:
Thanks a ton. I dont think so my H61m MoBo supports a NVMe type SSD, and frankly i cant upgrade that now coz dad's money. Ill still wait for the prices to come down. Also which is better, Crucial/Kingston/WD ?
Any from either of those 3 brands will be fine, so it comes down to price and personal choice rather than performance. SATA SSDs have reached their limits long ago, so there is no more innovation on that front. The Samsung QVO series as suggested by Ampere is also worth considering.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 7th June 2020 at 00:05.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 00:37   #3380
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll consider my options once the money is sanctioned from the treasury
Btw, just asking is sabrent a good brand, considering Amazon has been marketing it non stop pretty much nowadays ?
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 01:22   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, just asking is sabrent a good brand, considering Amazon has been marketing it non stop pretty much nowadays ?
Yes, Sabrent is a good brand. They were among the first manufacturers to come up with good PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs with their Rocket series.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 23:46   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Yes, Sabrent is a good brand. They were among the first manufacturers to come up with good PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs with their Rocket series.

Cheers
Yes it was recommended as a budget option in this review of NVMe storage across different price points:

Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 12:47   #3383
BHPian

Good afternoon. Looking for a 32 " monitor (desktop computing as well as Amazon Fire TV stick)

Have shortlisted these 2 models -

LG 32MN58HM

1 VGA port, 2 HDMI ports, 1 USB port, 1 Audio-in and 1 headphone jack

Dell 3218HN

1 HDMI, 1 VGA port

Both are 1080p, can be wall mounted if needed.

From Q&A on Amazon, it seems the LG is discontinued. I really like the variety of ports and the panel also seems to be decent. However, wouldn't like to purchase something that's no longer manufactured.

Dell is bare bones w.r.t. ports although I do have a HDMI switch to take care of multiple inputs. I have a 19" Dell LCD still going strong from 2008.

Are there any other options?

Anyone using either of the aforementioned 2 models?

My budget is fixed at INR 20,000/- max.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th June 2020, 13:38   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Even for SATA you can get the Samsung QVO.
QVO is QLC nand. So is Intel 660p and Crucial P1. I'd not buy any of these as right now we know nothing about the longevity of 4 bits per cell QLC nand. Their endurance ratings are really low - at least on paper compared to TLC drives.
Old 8th June 2020, 15:07   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Good afternoon. Looking for a 32 " monitor (desktop computing as well as Amazon Fire TV stick)
I would go not go for a 1080p monitor at that size, as the resolution is really not ideal. There is a 1440p monitor within your price range, and that is what I would pick if in your place: Acer EB321HQU

It also has an IPS panel, and a claimed better response time of 4ms than both the Dell & LG which are rated at 8ms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
QVO is QLC nand. So is Intel 660p and Crucial P1. I'd not buy any of these as right now we know nothing about the longevity of 4 bits per cell QLC nand. Their endurance ratings are really low - at least on paper compared to TLC drives.
If the choice for a person on a tight budget is between a QLC NAND SSD or an HDD, I think the choice is obvious. I know many people who are using QLC NAND SSDs without any concerns or issues about longevity - of course, if you have the budget then it makes sense to go for a TLC NAND SSD.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 15:15   #3386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
If the choice for a person on a tight budget is between a QLC NAND SSD or an HDD, I think the choice is obvious. I know many people who are using QLC NAND SSDs without any concerns or issues about longevity - of course, if you have the budget then it makes sense to go for a TLC NAND SSD.

Cheers
True it should be way better than a hard drive in terms of speed. However I'd not suggest it to anyone who needs to do a lot of I/O as cells will get worn quickly.
Old 8th June 2020, 21:03   #3387
BHPian

Good Evening.

I have a 2012 assembled AMD FX 8350 (8 core, 8 thread, I believe) with 16 GB of DDR3 RAM (1333 MHz) and 1 TB Western Digital internal HDD. The PSU is Corsair CX 500.

All this rests on Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard.

The motherboard has 6 SATA III ports. I believe 4 are currently free.

I was thinking about using one of these ports for a 480 GB SATA SSD (Crucial or Kingston) for faster booting of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Also, buy a 2 TB internal HDD (@7200 rpm, may be?) for storing data.

1) Is it worth investing 6k on this system towards SSD?

2) What internal 2 TB should I go for?

3) My usage is IIS development, lots of Powershell, analysing 500 to 600 MB each of IIS Log files (notepad) using Log Parser, advanced Microsoft Excel.

4) Can you also recommend a RGB USB keyboard under INR 2000/-?

5) I don't do any kind of gaming.

Your inputs are appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 8th June 2020 at 21:19.
Old 8th June 2020, 21:33   #3388
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good Evening.

I have a 2012 assembled AMD FX 8350 (8 core, 8 thread l, I believe) with 16 GB of DDR3 RAM (1333 MHz) and 1 TB Western Digital internal HDD. The PSU is Corsair CX 500.

All this rests on Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard.

The motherboard has 6 SATA III ports. I believe 4 are currently free.

I was thinking about using one of these ports for a 480 GB SATA SSD (Crucial or Kingston) for faster booting of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
... ... ...

Since I have a similar system, I thought I'll respond!

It is a 4 core 8 thread processor.

1) An SSD will change this system to behave at least as fast as a current gen laptop with SSD! - So it is an absolutely good idea. I believe your MB has a PCIe slot which which will support Nvme SSD, which will be future proof too!

2) Internal 2TB - WD Blue has worked for me!

3) I think neither notepad nor advanced excel (read VBA and macros) support multiple threads and this processor is very weak with single thread performance. So you may actually want to upgrade for any processor intensive data tasks.

4) You may consider this, https://www.amazon.in/Cosmic-Byte-CB...s%2C305&sr=1-3 I have a bigger version, works well.

Last edited by SLK : 8th June 2020 at 21:50.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 22:38   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Since I have a similar system, I thought I'll respond!
Thanks SLK, appreciate your response and tips on PCIe based NvME SSD adapter and keyboard.

Can you pls suggest if the PCiE adapters available on Amazon will work just fine should I decide to choose that route instead of SATA SSD? I believe I will need to use the x16 slot.

Updating the processor will necessitate a system build altogether, and considering future proofing I would definitely have to have a budget of at least INR 80,000/-. I am trying to squeeze out as much I can from this system.
Attached Thumbnails
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-1591636070370.jpg  

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-1591636083695.jpg  

Old 8th June 2020, 23:13   #3390
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SLK, appreciate your response and tips on PCIe based NvME SSD adapter and keyboard.

Can you pls suggest if the PCiE adapters available on Amazon will work just fine should I decide to choose that route instead of SATA SSD? I believe I will need to use the x16 slot.

Updating the processor will necessitate a system build altogether, and considering future proofing I would definitely have to have a budget of at least INR 80,000/-. I am trying to squeeze out as much I can from this system.
I have the same processor, you are right its 8 physical cores. What I remembered was 4FPU, which make at a disadvantage in utilizing 8 cores. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...ogical)%20core.

Also, I checked for my own motherboard, it doesn't support booting from a NVME SSD because its old! - yours might not too and then you'll have to stick to a traditional SSD.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed