Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:51   #3526
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
The new Nvidia Ampere gpus seem to have make everything obsolete. Already have the itch to get the 3080 upgrade from my 2080. As a reference the 3070 at $500 should be faster than 2080TI and $700 3080 much faster and perfect for 4k gaming which 2080TI (@$1000) struggled sometimes.
I am going to wait for actual product reviews before forming a proper opinion. The presentation was very impressive, but there are some doubts on the improvement %'s they showed. They didn't give the actual details of the test systems or how they measured anything (nothing new with marketing presentations of course). Also, just the fact that they had to increase the power consumption of the cards by so much despite the node shrinking gives a lot of doubts around the actual performance increase that the Ampere architecture will provide. No doubts ray-tracing performance is going to be better, and DLSS 2.0 is already good on Turing cards, but the question is how much more performance is actually there from the architecture without considering these two niche technologies which haven't been widely adapted in games yet - this is something that tech reviewers can actually show us.

I will also wait for AMD to release their flagship RDNA2 offering before making my decision to upgrade, because they promised a 50% performance per watt improvement on RDNA2. If the graphics in the upcoming consoles is anything to go by, the new architecture looks much more promising than what they currently have. And if they actually release the heavily rumored 16GB card, it's going to be very interesting to see which GPU in NVIDIA's line-up it compares to.

NVIDIA dropping prices is a result of competition from the upcoming consoles, from AMD's upcoming RDNA2 GPUs, and Intel's upcoming Xe gaming GPUs. God bless competition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Big news for PC gamers! Microsoft DirectStorage is coming to PC
I'm honestly surprised to see no reaction to this from the PC gamers here. It is this technology that's being used in the upcoming Xbox Series X and similar to the technology that Sony is employing in the upcoming PS5. This technology will take PC gaming to the next level with the ability to load whole worlds much faster, and will utilize the real benefit of fast NVMe drives. It can't come soon enough!

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 3rd September 2020 at 15:53.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:15   #3527
BHPian

Re: Build for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Can you recommend couple of cases with better airflow ?
Within the same price range, Corsair Carbide SPEC 01 or Cooler Master K501L.
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:46   #3528
BHPian

Hello nerds, my colleague wanted to buy a 10-15k range android tablet for his son’s online classes. I dissuaded him from him buying android tabled based on some YouTube videos advice. As an alternative I suggested him to buy an assembled PC as portability is not a requirement.
I’ve not been following the PC build scene since last 7-8 years, I can say that right now I’m almost a PC illiterate.
Can you guys help me pick and choose important components?

Requirement:
1. Video calling / conferencing
2. Lasting usable performance for next 3 years
3. Able to run windows
4. Some notepad, excel usage
5. Able to run a browser for school projects / YouTube etc
6. Would be planning to use earphones(with mic) instead of speakers
7. Passable quality webcam
8. Currently there is no broadband connection in home, if passive would like to try mobile phone usb tethering for internet needs or else have to go the broadband route

The budget is “as cheap as possible”
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:58   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
3. Able to run windows
Windows itself is one expensive component. To keep costs in the 10-15k range, It may be worth investigating the stability of zoom/teams etc on Linux. I know for sure that zoom and teams are available on Linux. Depending on the school's requirement that particular tool may be evaluated.
It also means that you should buy hardware that is more popular so that has better support on Linux. Perhaps Linux gurus can add more.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:47   #3530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Hello nerds, my colleague wanted to buy a 10-15k range android tablet for his son’s online classes. I dissuaded him from him buying android tabled based on some YouTube videos advice. As an alternative I suggested him to buy an assembled PC as portability is not a requirement.
I’ve not been following the PC build scene since last 7-8 years, I can say that right now I’m almost a PC illiterate.
Can you guys help me pick and choose important components?

Requirement:
1. Video calling / conferencing
2. Lasting usable performance for next 3 years
3. Able to run windows
4. Some notepad, excel usage
5. Able to run a browser for school projects / YouTube etc
6. Would be planning to use earphones(with mic) instead of speakers
7. Passable quality webcam
8. Currently there is no broadband connection in home, if passive would like to try mobile phone usb tethering for internet needs or else have to go the broadband route

The budget is “as cheap as possible”
A tablet is a mostly a consumption device, whereas a PC is suited for both consumption and creation. As such, it's the right choice. However, going with the "as cheap as possible" approach leaves a lot of value on the table. This is probably the best time in a decade to be building a PC and even an entry level one should provide useable performance for 3-5 years.

Do you have a display that can be used with this PC or does that needs to be purchased as well? Wifi/bluetooth cards/dongles are cheap. Nothing beats a wired connection via ethernet port however, which should be your first choice with a PC. A cheap webcam from the likes of Logitech etc will usually be far superior to what comes bundled with the average laptop/tablet.

Here's a sample config. for your consideration:- https://www.primeabgb.com/cart/?cxec...ve-cart=160424
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:47   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Hi
I have an old dual XEON that uses DDR2 ECC FB RAM. I am looking for procuring 4GB/8GB modules from old servers. If any one knows of any reseller who deals in phased out servers and can sell me DDR2 RAM, please let me know. I have 16 RAM slots so I can absorb upto 16 RAM sticks.

Thanks in advance
Old 25th September 2020, 05:07   #3532
Senior - BHPian

I had given my old computer to my Uncle based in Puttur when we left India. It is built around a AS Rock Z170 Extreme 4 motherboard, an Intel i5 cpu (I forget the exact model), has 8gb * 2 of Gskill dual channel ram kit (Has a red heat sink over it), a M.2 SSD, a DVD Writer/Blu Ray drive and a couple of mechanical hard drives. No dedicated gpu. Running Windows 10 64 bit Home edition. The rig is about 4 years old. The PC has not seen much use in the last 4 years as he did not have an internet connection at home. That is the sad truth of living in a small town. Now that he finally got connected and started using the PC, a strange problem started. Random reboots. We've tried everything. Swapping out ram, reseating the cpu, another power supply, disconnecting the case terminal switches from the motherboard (Assuming a case switch jam or short), updating hardware drivers, updating the bios and no luck. It abruptly reboots even while you are in the bios so that rules out any Windows related software issue. We even pulled out the motherboard from the case and ran it. (Assuming a short happening behind the circuit board and case, as that gap is quite small). I can only think of moisture making its way between the fine circuitry and components which is causing some kind of short, or, something on the motherboard has failed at a component level which is not easy to diagnose. Puttur is generally humid and high on moisture level. We've tried plugging in direct to the wall too (No UPS).

I bought this motherboard for the quality of onboard of components, the layout and with the knowledge that AS Rock are a relatively new player in the motherboard space. Just did not expect the board to fail so soon, if that is what it really is.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/

I was thinking of replacing the motherboard as it is easier to get sorted with the problem. I don't know if there are qualified people who can diagnose such problems at a component level and where to send the board (Most likely Bangalore). Is it even worth doing this? If it has to be another LGA1151 board, what should it be? Need something that will take in the M.2 while not over spending as this is a casual use computer.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th September 2020 at 05:17.
Old 25th September 2020, 08:40   #3533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Now that he finally got connected and started using the PC, a strange problem started. Random reboots. We've tried everything. Swapping out ram, reseating the cpu, another power supply, disconnecting the case terminal switches from the motherboard (Assuming a case switch jam or short), updating hardware drivers, updating the bios and no luck. It abruptly reboots even while you are in the bios so that rules out any Windows related software issue. We even pulled out the motherboard from the case and ran it. (Assuming a short happening behind the circuit board and case, as that gap is quite small). I can only think of moisture making its way between the fine circuitry and components which is causing some kind of short, or, something on the motherboard has failed at a component level which is not easy to diagnose. Puttur is generally humid and high on moisture level. We've tried plugging in direct to the wall too (No UPS).
If i understood correctly, the problem occurs when the LAN cable is plugged in?
Old 25th September 2020, 09:19   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If i understood correctly, the problem occurs when the LAN cable is plugged in?
We tested without the LAN cable connected, when we took the motherboard out of the case.
Old 25th September 2020, 09:30   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Is there no warranty left for the board? Z170/Z270 boards are EOL and hard to get now. It is best to dump both and get a Ryzen or Intel 10th gen.
Old 25th September 2020, 16:10   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I was thinking of replacing the motherboard as it is easier to get sorted with the problem. I don't know if there are qualified people who can diagnose such problems at a component level and where to send the board (Most likely Bangalore). Is it even worth doing this? If it has to be another LGA1151 board, what should it be? Need something that will take in the M.2 while not over spending as this is a casual use computer.
This might sound a bit silly, but try replacing the power cable. Should be easy enough. If you need to replace the motherboard, pick up an h110 or similar series.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:13   #3537
BHPian

I intend to buy a new desktop PC.

Usage: Programming, Productivity, watch videos, web-surfing. Want to do gaming going ahead (but no streaming). Do not intend to use for video creation at all.

After looking at the branded ones (Alienware & HP Omen) I found building your own is pretty cost effective. However since I have never built one, I would prefer to get a reliable assembler to procure and assemble it for me.

Would anyone provide references of any assembler in Mumbai?

Below is an estimated list I have prepared but the cost is on the higher side. Is there any areas that I can bring down the cost without compromising performance and quality?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (₹28978.00 @ Amazon India)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹23000.00 @ Amazon India)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory (₹14386.36 @ Newegg India)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (₹15886.00 @ Amazon India)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (₹22039.00 @ Amazon India)
Case: Antec NX800 ATX Mid Tower Case (₹6750.00 @ Amazon India)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (₹14833.48 @ Newegg India)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit (₹9999.00 @ Amazon India)
Monitor: MSI Optix G241 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (₹22064.04 @ Newegg India)
Keyboard: Logitech MK345 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse (₹2919.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹160854.88
Old 11th October 2020, 21:38   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
This configuration is way overkill for what you've outlined here. The CPU and motherboard choice are particularly imbalanced. Please share a detailed use-case and a target budget for this build so that we can make some recommendations. Also bear in mind that new parts are releasing as early as next month so it might make sense to hold off buying and/or consider a phased update. Also share your existing PC if any/any parts you intend to continue using.

You're right about pre-built not even coming close to assembling it yourself.

Last edited by Amien : 11th October 2020 at 21:44. Reason: added text
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 22:05   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post

Usage: Programming, Productivity, watch videos, web-surfing. Want to do gaming going ahead (but no streaming). Do not intend to use for video creation at all.

Below is an estimated list I have prepared but the cost is on the higher side. Is there any areas that I can bring down the cost without compromising performance and quality?
If you have a budget for 1.6L, please just get a nice laptop with similar specs + a monitor & keyboard/mouse.
You may not get the upgradeability of a desktop, but you will get much more portability which may come in handy when you least expect it.
Something like the below two laptops will have great performance at a much cheaper price point. No point building a desktop unless you know you absolutely need one. Gone are the days when laptops used to be poor value for those looking for high performance.

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Graphics-...2433694&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.in/MSI-Creator-15...mputers&sr=1-5
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 22:56   #3540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
This configuration is way overkill for what you've outlined here..
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
If you have a budget for 1.6L, please just get a nice laptop with similar specs...
Well I already have a laptop with such specs and am extremely happy with it. HP-Omen dh0135 [i7 9th gen, 32GB Ram, 256GB SSD, 512GB HDD, Nvidia GeForce 1650].
I need another machine as my daughter needs to attend her online classes. However since forever I had been wanting to do gaming [was thinking of buying PS4/PS5] as well as do programming [Machine Learning, et al] I thought of going for a powerful desktop [no point in buying a 2nd similar laptop].
Idea is to keep config above my existing laptop, as I will not be upgrading the machine once purchased and will want it to last for at least 5-7 years.

Budget should be around 1.20L including monitor and wireless Keyboard/mouse. This will be a fresh build and I do not have any parts from any existing machine.

Yep, the Ryzen 5000 are releasing on 5-Nov and I would want to replace the CPU with one from the new line-up [will wait for the same, and am using this month to do the research]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
The CPU and motherboard choice are particularly imbalanced...
Can you explain this, as this is the kind of insight I am trying to gather. I found a few blogs/videos recommending a x570 MoBo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks