Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:14   #3586
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
You're right. My current configuration is about 5yrs old, so I won't upgrade/buy every year. Ok with spending upto 60k as after that I'll still have to buy Windows 10 license & MS Office license. That'll add about 12-15k I suppose.

Any recommendation for SSD & capacity? I guess 500GB SSD is enough for booting purpose? I have a number of external hard drives.

One more thing, this motherboard/CPU comes with adequate number of USB 3.0 ports, right? With so many devices, more USB Ports = always better!

I truly appreciate your patience in answering my queries. If needed, I can take it over PM.

Cheers!
Most of the build recommendations have been made with longevity in mind. A cheaper motherboard would compromise that, along with likely being limited to 2 RAM slots, limiting future memory expansion. The PSU has enough wattage to compensate for losses over time and handle a drop-in expansion/graphics card without needing replacement. Ryzen is very sensitive to memory and a lot of performance can be left on the table with a slow kit. Being an APU, the graphics portion of the chip also uses some system RAM, being heavily influenced by its speed.

You could pick up OEM license keys to save a bit of cash if that's something you're okay with, there are many sites/resellers that deal in those.

SSD has already been recommended. 256GB is fine for an OS drive, especially if you plan on using it with a 2nd drive. 500 should be more than enough either way. Can choose slower SATA SSDs/HDD if need to balance speed: price/size. High quality SSDs come with a 5 year warranty.

Look up the motherboard specs. to check if the port count fits your needs, unlikely that it doesn't. Your case will also add a few via internal header.

Feel free to use any route you see fit, happy to help either way

Last edited by Amien : 22nd November 2020 at 18:21.
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:33   #3587
BHPian

My configuration built in June 2020

Ryzen 3 3200G(Wanted a Ryzen 5 1600 but it was out of stock )
MSI A320M Pro VD/S
GTX 1060 6GB
8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram(Plan to add another 8gb)
480GB Kingston SSD
512GB Seagate HDD
450W Corsair PSU
Ant eSports ICE 511MT cabinet
Paired with the Dell FHD E2219HN monitor, the cheapest Dell Keyboard and Mouse I could find and a Bluetooth and Wifi Dongle from TP link.

Overall I wanted Maximum performance at the Minimum price and did not bother about aesthetics, however I'd say it turned out fine Especially considering it cost around ₹55k all in.
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-1606056534515846153103.jpg
superguy282 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:14   #3588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am using a Tenda 150mbps wifi USB module to enable wifi on my desktop.... Is there any problem in the wifi USB module or some setting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
That's a horrible usb dongle. Get something better which supports at least AC1200/AC1900.
Thanks for your guidance. The prices of AC1200 dongle/PCI are around Rs.1600/1700, and I was reluctant to waste a perfectly good wifi dongle just because it was showing low range because of walls.

I already have a 6 feet long USB extension cable. I connected it to PC and positioned the USB wifi module so that it is comparatively closer to the router. Now the speeds have increased multi-fold
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 13:13   #3589
Distinguished - BHPian

Desktop for recording tutorial videos

My cousin wants to record Full HD videos on external source and edit them on the computer before sharing it over different social media.
Typical video length is 1 to 1.5 hrs.

Please suggest PC configuration that can handle the above requirements at decent speeds keeping in mind that more than one full length videos would be edited in parallel.

Both Intel and AMD are fine. Not a brand fanatic. Just needs to do the job day in and day out for the next 4 to 5 years

Thanks

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th November 2020 at 13:28.
Old 30th November 2020, 18:58   #3590
Senior - BHPian

Re: Desktop for recording tutorial videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My cousin wants to record Full HD videos on external source and edit them on the computer before sharing it over different social media.

Please suggest PC configuration that can handle the above requirements at decent speeds keeping in mind that more than one full length videos would be edited in parallel.

Both Intel and AMD are fine. Not a brand fanatic. Just needs to do the job day in and day out for the next 4 to 5 years

Thanks
https://handbrake.fr/

is a free video editor. I have used it and it does a decent job. As I record videos on my Nikon DSLR, I have started using Nikon (free) software for processing videos.

Go to the site and check for the hardware requirements, and preferably choose the higher end configuration as that will speed up editing.
Old 30th November 2020, 19:23   #3591
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Da Vinci resolve hands down...
use a ryzen 5th series and load in an nvidia graphics card.. more details can be found on black magic website..
Old 30th November 2020, 21:27   #3592
BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest PC configuration
Please provide an approximate budget for this build, peripherals that are to be included within said budget and any other requirements that may be relevant.
Old 30th November 2020, 22:23   #3593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Da Vinci resolve hands down...
use a ryzen 5th series and load in an nvidia graphics card.. more details can be found on black magic website..
Thank you. I will suggest her the software. Would be useful if you can suggest the various hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
https://handbrake.fr/

is a free video editor. I have used it and it does a decent job. As I record videos on my Nikon DSLR, I have started using Nikon (free) software for processing videos.

Go to the site and check for the hardware requirements, and preferably choose the higher end configuration as that will speed up editing.
OK I will ask her to check this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Please provide an approximate budget for this build, peripherals that are to be included within said budget and any other requirements that may be relevant.
Budget around 70k. Speakers, mic and keyboard are already available. Just need the core components.
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:53   #3594
BHPian

Guys, need some advice...

I have an old PC still working without any problems. Assembled in 2013 for my brother, i7 2600, DH67CL motherboard, 24GB DDR3 ram (4 slot), Adata 240GB SSD and Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB HDD, Antec 550 SMPS. (Some upgrades were done over the years) The old iBall case power button and front USB audio was not working, so I changed the cabin with Foxin FC-6609, this is the one local dealer had and others were not that good. I did not think I need to go overboard with fancy cabin for an old PC. Changed CPU cooler to Cooler Master one. This one has got a GTX 1050 ti 4GB graphics. It runs GTA V at high setting without any lag or stress to CPU, at idle temperature is at 35 celsius and under load it never cross 70 celsius, so cooling wise, things are fine. I am not a gamer, when I get some time I spend like half an hour or so. Wife uses this system once in a while to do autocad, some excel work, creating quotation etc. I have moved on to laptops but wife still prefers PC with a large monitor, we use a 24inch screen.

Coming to the question...

I found out that this system has Red Dead Redemption 2, I can play the game in low to mid settings, tweaked the settings best suited for 1050 TI. Is it worth upgrading GPU for a system this old? Most importantly, will it make any noticeable difference in permanence while playing games?

If yes, which one will be the ideal choices? I have no plans to build a new PC anytime soon, like I mentioned, moved on to laptops because mobility is important now and if there comes a time I don’t have to move around or don’t need laptop on a daily basis, I would definitely prefer a powerful desktop over a laptop any day.

Cheers
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:25   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Would be useful if you can suggest the various hardware
Budget around 70k.
Based on current pricing and availability, this is my recommendation:-

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3rd Gen Desktop Processor
Gigabyte B550M DS3H AMD B550 Motherboard
G.skill Trident Z RGB Series 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz DDR4 Memory F4-3600C18D-16GTZR
ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro 256GB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 NVME SSD AGAMMIXS11P-256GT-C
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER AMP 6GB GDDR6 192-bit Graphics Card ZT-T16620D-10M
Antec NE550M 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Power Supply
Cooler Master Masterbox K501L RGB (ATX) Cabinet MCB-K501L-KGNN-SR1

Should total to about 70k. Does not include a monitor and if you don't need high levels of colour accuracy, this Samsung is a good starting point. Post in the computer monitor recommendations thread incase you have a specific requirement. Ignore this if you plan on using an existing display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Guys, need some advice...

Is it worth upgrading GPU for a system this old?
Yes. Select the same GPU mentioned in the above configuration. It is fast enough to make a significant improvement in gaming performance, yet not so fast that it bottlenecks due to your existing setup and not expensive enough to offset its value as an upgrade.

Last edited by Amien : 3rd December 2020 at 01:28.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 09:45   #3596
BHPian

Wanted to order 3080 FE but was not available and pulled the trigger on a 3090 FE.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:21   #3597
BHPian

I am considering getting a AIO desktop in place of my laptop. I understand that mobility will be constrained but this is primarily for home use. Any suggestions please, budget is around 80k.

I saw a few Dell optiplex, lenovo ideacentre, HP AIO. But I am confused and not getting any good reliable reviews on this.

Should I get a AIO or get one configured as per specs I need ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 19th February 2021, 13:10   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I am considering getting a AIO desktop in place of my laptop. I understand that mobility will be constrained but this is primarily for home use. Any suggestions please, budget is around 80k.

I saw a few Dell optiplex, lenovo ideacentre, HP AIO. But I am confused and not getting any good reliable reviews on this.

Regards
Dieseltuned
I just upgraded my old trusty Gen2 i3 with an assembled unit using quality parts for about 50K and couldn't be happier. I was looking at buying a branded product of amazon but when a fellow BHPian (PatchyBoy) suggested going the assembled route since he had a spare Gigabyte motherboard and AMD Ryzen 7 CPU , I said why not.

It was great fun doing a bit of research, and then heading off to notorious SP road to get the parts and haggle on price. Had some trouble setting up the BIOS correctly but Adneo managed to sort it out in a jiffy.

In the end I ended up with this:

RYZEN 7 – 1700
Gigabyte AORUS AX-370 5
Cooler Master MasterBox K501L
Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2
ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 4GB DDR3 ZONE Edition
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3000MHz
WD Blue 500 GB SATA SSD
WD Blue PCIe NVMe SSD, 2400 MB/s R, 1950 MB/s
A salvaged 1TB salvaged HDD for backup
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Deepcool XFAN 120 (Single Pack)
Cooler Master MasterGel Pro

The unit boots up in under 10sec (Win10 Pro) and data transfer rate is just amazing.

I honestly couldn't be happier taking the DIY route.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 13:46   #3599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

Regards
Dieseltuned
For 80k, please take the assembly route.

You can build a very good PC for that money.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 22:28   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
In the end I ended up with this:

RYZEN 7 – 1700
Gigabyte AORUS AX-370 5
Cooler Master MasterBox K501L
Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2
ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 4GB DDR3 ZONE Edition
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3000MHz
WD Blue 500 GB SATA SSD
WD Blue PCIe NVMe SSD, 2400 MB/s R, 1950 MB/s
A salvaged 1TB salvaged HDD for backup
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Deepcool XFAN 120 (Single Pack)
Cooler Master MasterGel Pro

The unit boots up in under 10sec (Win10 Pro) and data transfer rate is just amazing.

I honestly couldn't be happier taking the DIY route.
How much did this build cost you ? I am planning to build my own, as my i3 2nd Gen is getting old now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks