Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 18:47   #3916
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceInfinite View Post
If anyone wants help in speccing their next PC, do reach out to me in a PM or a reply to this message.
Hey,

Could you help with a new small form factor(SFF) build for my new pc? My requirement is to have 2 HDD for storage and 1 NVMe or SSD for OS. Intel is preferred for light gaming/emulator and GPU is not in my budget but would like to have an option of adding it later, if required.
Old 13th March 2023, 21:51   #3917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
I would recommend a Seasonic model. Any model should be fine.
Seasonics are built to last, and cost around 8-10K. Not sure of the latest prices. For this config, anything more than 450-500W is just not needed. If you pickup some 450's or 550's, the extra power would be a backup for future upgrades, if needed.
Seasonic is a really good brand and it was my first choice when I was building my PC. However, people buying Seasonic thru Amazon must be wary of the supplier as I have been cheated by them not once, but twice. Instead of receiving a 650 bronze psu, I ended up getting an open sealed Intex psu which was rated for 200w. When i sent this back, the seller just sent another one of a similar make. Hence, i decided to avoid them altogether.

I ended up picking up an Antec ATOM series 650w psu, seems to be doing the job just fine with a B550, 5700X and an RX580 GPU, with the CPU running with an AIO.

Just my experience regarding the purchase, i thought it would help.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 11:30   #3918

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Hey,

Could you help with a new small form factor(SFF) build for my new pc? My requirement is to have 2 HDD for storage and 1 NVMe or SSD for OS. Intel is preferred for light gaming/emulator and GPU is not in my budget but would like to have an option of adding it later, if required.
Can you tell me your budget?
Old 14th March 2023, 17:27   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceInfinite View Post
Can you tell me your budget?
60k is good enough? Hope i can get something which can be upgraded later like ddr5 or a new CPU.
Old 14th March 2023, 19:22   #3920

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
60k is good enough? Hope i can get something which can be upgraded later like ddr5 or a new CPU.
DDR5 is not available in your budget, sorry. Most probably you can upgrade if Intel continues to use the LGA1700 socket.

Here is my spec list-
DEEPCOOL MATREXX 40 3FS - ₹3,799
ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-PLUS D4 - ₹17,109
Intel Core i5-12400 - ₹18,098
XPG DDR4 D60G RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz - ₹6,255
Crucial P3 Plus 500GB - ₹4,245
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Internal Hard Drive HDD * 2 - ₹4,699 *2
NOCTUA NH-L9i chromax.black - ₹6,999
MSI MPG A650GF 650W - ₹6,739

Sorry but it's 10k overbudget because of the harddrives and my preference to use the best and most long lasting cooler(noctua).

PS: Send me the pics if you build this.
SpaceInfinite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 08:01   #3921
Senior - BHPian

If wired mice are still a thing here, consider Razer Viper Mini. Picked up one last week. Adjustable DPI (8500 max) on the fly without the need to go into a specific App, super smooth feet and a super flexible cable under some fabric material. This mouse is in-between a full size mouse and laptop size unit. Very well made. If you're into programmable dancing rgb lights, it can do that too. This will need the app though.
Old 20th March 2023, 10:43   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If wired mice are still a thing here, consider Razer Viper Mini.
How are the Razer devices these days? I went through a couple of Mambas years back before throwing them away in the junk.

Been stuck on the logitech g502 since then and just can't bring myself to change it

https://www.logitechg.com/en-in/prod...10-005472.html
Old 21st March 2023, 04:26   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How are the Razer devices these days?
Too early to say. I have a Keyboard, headset and now the mouse. Initial impressions are good. Solid build and does give you the impression that they will last and can take abuse. Only time will tell if my comment holds up.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 16:19   #3924
BHPian

Hello Techheads

Need advice on buying a Desktop for my office. Need it to be used for 3D rendering and graphic designing. Had taken the advice of members here and gotten the following system 3 years ago, but the user has been complaining off late of inadequate performance and system lagging too much.

AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650 G With Radeon Graphics 3.7
RAM : 16 GB
SSD 512 GB
1 TB Sata HDD

Want to now go with tried and tested Intel processor only since as per my asking around, this system cannot be upgraded neither can we add a graphics card to it.

I would prefer an off the shelf solution rather than getting one assembled given that my tech know how is limited when it comes to desktops.

If you kind people could please suggest the best alternative, I'm okay spending around a lakh rupees on this CPU as long as it is good for 4-5 years.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2023 at 04:57. Reason: Quoted text deleted
Old 2nd April 2023, 12:21   #3925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Hello Techheads

Need advice on buying a Desktop for my office. Need it to be used for 3D rendering and graphic designing. Had taken the advice of members here and gotten the following system 3 years ago, but the user has been complaining off late of inadequate performance and system lagging too much.

SSD 512 GB
1 TB Sata HDD

Want to now go with tried and tested Intel processor only since as per my asking around, this system cannot be upgraded neither can we add a graphics card to it.

I would prefer an off the shelf solution rather than getting one assembled given that my tech know how is limited when it comes to desktops.

If you kind people could please suggest the best alternative, I'm okay spending around a lakh rupees on this CPU as long as it is good for 4-5 years.
The Lenovo E14 Ryzen 5500U, 16GB, 512GB, that I bought recently has similar specifications, at around Rs.65K.
https://versus.com/en/amd-ryzen-5-46...d-ryzen-5-5500

I have added the following

1. 8GB RAM for a total of 24GB
2. Used two existing monitors - 27" 4K and 24" HD to get a total of 3 screens
3. USB C Hub to accomodate 2 x USB, Ethernet and 4K HDMI port

Before this I had a Dual Xeon workstation with 8GB RAM and 6 HDD (750GB to 2 TB) with two graphics cards in a 3 monitor setup. My current configuration beats the workstation (though that was 10 years old) in terms of CPU and grapics.

Unless you go in for top of the line CPU and high end graphics, this laptop is sufficient for 3d rendering and graphics design. The advantages are
. Portable. You can just unplug the external devices and take it with you. Ideal for field work and presentation.
. No need for a dedicated UPS (though external monitors will need it),
. Add as much storage as you want via external USB devices. I have over 8 external USB HDD, and can plug in 3 at a time if needed.
. No need for extra graphics card to run two external monitors.

Last edited by Aroy : 2nd April 2023 at 12:23.
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:18   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had taken the advice of members here and gotten the following system 3 years ago, but the user has been complaining off late of inadequate performance and system lagging too much.
The spec that was advised from 3 years ago looks like something that was worked around a particular price point. If that were the case, Ryzen 5 Pro is about as good as its going to get. You are likely facing a similar situation with an Intel part over a 3 year period.

If the work to be done is purely cpu based rendering, it might be worth exploring a Apple Mac Mini with their new M2 cpu's. Compatibility needs to be checked with the software you are using. If rendering is gpu bound, the mini may not work. This is if you want something off the shelf.

An an ALT option, you can look at a Lenovo P520, if its in your budget. Lenovo. This is one I have used and can vouch for them. Upgraded to a P620 3 years ago.

A solid workstation class desktop is going to set you back by a minimum of 150k INR and that will likely be a bare bones specification. The cpu alone will set you back close to ~45k INR, minimum. If longevity is a priority, you need to stretch your budget.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 3rd April 2023 at 05:23.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:04   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
A solid workstation class desktop is going to set you back by a minimum of 150k INR and that will likely be a bare bones specification. The cpu alone will set you back close to ~45k INR, minimum. If longevity is a priority, you need to stretch your budget.
I'm a little boggled at the specs of this 1.5 Lakhs unit. No graphics card, just 8 GB of RAM, no SSD ?

Aren't these options from Amazon better ?

https://amzn.to/433S1XB
amzn.to/3JXekFy
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:27   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Techheads

Need advice on buying a Desktop ... user has been complaining off late of inadequate performance and system lagging too much.

SSD 512 GB
1 TB Sata HDD

this system cannot be upgraded neither can we add a graphics card to it.

I would prefer an off the shelf solution
I don't think that CPU/ desktop spec is slouch. It is a 6c/12t CPU with standard L3 cache, which will be inadequate only in case of high refresh rate gaming. For normal office work including 3D rendering, it should be fine for another few years.

Can you check if the work is being done off HDD or SSD? If former, install the rendering app on SSD. Ideally we should have 2 partitions always in the boot drive (which I presume is the SSD), one will have the OS, another for apps like these which cannot be run well from HDD. This also keeps the OS undisturbed in its own partition, otherwise an app run from Program Files may be slowed down by the OS. One thing to also try is a fresh Windows install. It is too early to throw this system away.

We should be able to add an external graphics card to it, unless the motherboard is non-standard. If it is any desktop AM4 board, it should have at least 1 PCIE slot for the GPU. After installing it, make sure the video out is from the GPU and not the motherboard (a funny mistake but more common than we want to admit).

If you really want to go for a new desktop, you can get some good deal on DDR4 systems. Go for at least 8c/16t CPU. Ryzen 3700x/ 5700x should be good enough (latter gets more hot though, so need a good cooler). On Intel side, you can't go wrong with a 12700K or KF, which also supports DDR5 should you upgrade again after 3-4 years.

Either systems with good MB/ 32GB RAM/ decent PSU/ cooler should not set back more than 70-75k, assuming existing storage and peripherals are reused. We might even be able to reuse the PSU or RAM sticks and buy extra sticks of same make.

However, if 3D rendering is the prime usage, a GPU will be the most cost-effectve upgrade instead of full system. If the MB does not support a PCIE slot, change that too. a decent B450 would be around 5-6k. Workstation GPUs like RTX A2000 are about 40k I think. Not sure about rendering prowess of AMD GPUs, though the 6800 XT is about 55k nowadays.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 22:51   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
I ).
However, if 3D rendering is the prime usage, a GPU will be the most cost-effectve upgrade instead of full system. If the MB does not support a PCIE slot, change that too. a decent B450 would be around 5-6k. Workstation GPUs like RTX A2000 are about 40k I think. Not sure about rendering prowess of AMD GPUs, though the 6800 XT is about 55k nowadays.
Agreeing with everything you've said.
Although I feel that it may be a better option to go for a B550 board even if OP ends up paying around 5-6k more for an MSI or a Gigabyte motherboard. Much better, as it mainly ensures upgradability on the CPU side.

I also feel the computer that is currently doing the job isn't a really bad one, I think it just needs an OS refresh, and possibly add more RAM(16GB gets used up by a lot of services that needs to be turned off nowadays), or possibly get a new SSD installed(maybe Samsung 970 EVO). If this doesn't work, no problemo, just shift these components into a completely new system.

Quote:
I'm a little boggled at the specs of this 1.5 Lakhs unit. No graphics card, just 8 GB of RAM, no SSD ?

Aren't these options from Amazon better ?

https://amzn.to/433S1XB
amzn.to/3JXekFy
I would generally advise against buying prebuilts from Amazon mainly because there might be cost cutting, in certain areas and there are a lot of reports about these prebuilts being sub par, and appearing not as advertised. Assembling one yourself or getting a guy to do it is much safer, and not too hard. Some prebuilts are also overpriced, if you compare the components used vs the cost of the whole package.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 3rd April 2023 at 22:57.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 11:03   #3930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a little boggled at the specs of this 1.5 Lakhs unit. No graphics card, just 8 GB of RAM, no SSD ?Aren't these options from Amazon better ?
Professional class workstations are expensive.

Take that Amazon spec with the cpu (is dated but you should be okay) and gpu, bump up that ram to 32gb (or higher), replace the hard drive with a larger and performance oriented nvme or ssd of your choice (not just any nvme). Every component along the chain needs to be fast. You have one component in between that is slow and you cause a choke point. Its like pairing VW's excellent Tsi engines to a CVT. You can't get the best out of it.

Approach a good PC builder in your area (Prime ABGB any good? They should be local to you) and ask them to quote a spec to that Amazon one with the modifications above and you should be good to Rock 'N' Roll for a good 5+ years.

AMD cpu's are currently more efficient and use less power. You may want to think about that, long term.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th April 2023 at 11:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks