Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 13:05   #3931
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Can you check if the work is being done off HDD or SSD?

We should be able to add an external graphics card to it, unless the motherboard is non-standard. If it is any desktop AM4 board, it should have at least 1 PCIE slot for the GPU. After installing it, make sure the video out is from the GPU and not the motherboard (a funny mistake but more common than we want to admit).
Thank you for these inputs.

So let me clarify some things to the best of limited knowledge :-

1) Yes we have dedicated SSD for the OS and HDD for storage. I made that upgrade a year ago.
2) We have tried formatting and installing the entire system multiple times.
3) 3D max , Adobe & CorelDraw are our primary softwares.
4) Is there anyway to figure out the Motherboard without opening the system ?
5) Our local AMC guy said the Motherboard does not have an option to add an external graphics card.
6) I'd be more than happy to spend 20-30k on this and make it useable. But anything more than that I feel should go into a new system.
7) Strangely the 3D designers keep on saying Intel lena chaiye tha again and again , and I bought AMD after getting help here and then reading up and being satisfied that they are equally or better performance wise.
Old 4th April 2023, 13:38   #3932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post

1) Yes we have dedicated SSD for the OS and HDD for storage. I made that upgrade a year ago.
The programs (Corel Draw etc) should also be installed on SSD, and the working files saved there for best results. Usually files once opened are loaded into RAM, but if some assets are read from HDD, it will bottleneck.

Quote:
2) We have tried formatting and installing the entire system multiple times.
Is there any antivirus software installed? With Windows 10+, Windows Defender and updated OS is good enough. 3rd party like McAfee would slow down the system.

Quote:
4) Is there anyway to figure out the Motherboard without opening the system ?
Start -> Run -> msinfo32. Motherboard make and model would be in Baseboard manufacturer and product fields in the summary screen.

Quote:
5) Our local AMC guy said the Motherboard does not have an option to add an external graphics card.
Could be, if it is a pre-built PC with custom case size. If so, invest in a standard case along with a standard motherboard. About 10k for these two. There might be other options like if the system has M.2 PCIE slot, but those solutions are not cheap either.

Quote:
7) Strangely the 3D designers keep on saying Intel lena chaiye tha again and again , and I bought AMD after getting help here and then reading up and being satisfied that they are equally or better performance wise.
Unless one of the applications here are optimised for Intel microcode, there would be no difference. If at all, such products have issues with new OS like Windows 11 (I remember Adobe products), but not the hardware platform.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 18:51   #3933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
T

Start -> Run -> msinfo32. Motherboard make and model would be in Baseboard manufacturer and product fields in the summary screen.
m.
Corsair DD4 8gb x 2 RAM
Gigabyte B550m DS3H - That's the motherboard.
Can you help tell me if I can upgrade this setup ?
Old 8th April 2023, 15:54   #3934
BHPian

Quote:
Corsair DD4 8gb x 2 RAM
Gigabyte B550m DS3H - That's the motherboard
Yes. this is a standard AM4 motherboard with PCIE-4 x16 slot, NVME/ M.2 slots for SSD (1 each of Gen 4 and 3), and 4 slots of DDR4 RAM. So you should be able to add a dedicated GPU and another 2 sticks of RAM without upgrading anything else in the same system.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...10-11-12-13#kf

If upgrading the RAM, make sure to have same make and model. Else there may be compatibility issues. However, DDR4 is cheap, so you can just replace them with better spec'd sticks.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 8th April 2023 at 15:58.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:59   #3935
Senior - BHPian

Looking to upgrade my ancient GeForce GT1030 graphics card. (25k budget)

Basic PC Specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 Mobo
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM

Might have a chance to get someone to pick it up from the US. Now I believe I can't just randomly select the best GPU available at my budget for fear of bottlenecking my CPU? And will my B450 mobo also be a crutch?

Not into heavy gaming, but ever since Diablo 4 launched, the craving has been eating me from within
Old 27th June 2023, 17:19   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Now I believe I can't just randomly select the best GPU available at my budget for fear of bottlenecking my CPU? And will my B450 mobo also be a crutch?
RTX 3060ti will be enough for few years.

Your motherboard can also take the 5800x3D which is a top class gaming CPU. You can upgrade it later in the future if you feel the need. 3600 is well enough for now.

Currently you just need the GPU upgrade, your current GPU is heavily bottlenecking the whole system.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:34   #3937
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
RTX 3060ti will be enough for few years.
+1 to the 3060ti.

In addition to this, you may also consider the Radeon RX6700, around 27k for the 10GB version. It performs substantially better than the 3060. May even be cheaper if you got it from the US.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 18:05   #3938

Quote:

Basic PC Specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 Mobo
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM

Might have a chance to get someone to pick it up from the US. Now I believe I can't just randomly select the best GPU available at my budget for fear of bottlenecking my CPU? And will my B450 mobo also be a crutch?

Not into heavy gaming, but ever since Diablo 4 launched, the craving has been eating me from within
You should check if Gigabyte has issued a bios update for your motherboard with support for Zen 3. If not, you could be limited to Zen 2 processors.

As suggested, any current GPU would be a massive upgrade over the 1030.

Additionally, if your motherboard supports 4 DIMMs you should get another 16 GB RAM module.
Old 30th June 2023, 15:37   #3939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
+1 to the 3060ti.

In addition to this, you may also consider the Radeon RX6700, around 27k for the 10GB version. It performs substantially better than the 3060. May even be cheaper if you got it from the US.
https://www.amazon.in/Sapphire-Radeo...dp/B0B3RM3CF5/

This? Looks good. And do GPU brands offer international warranty? Or am i better off buying from here itself?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 17:35   #3940
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.amazon.in/Sapphire-Radeo...dp/B0B3RM3CF5/

This? Looks good. And do GPU brands offer international warranty? Or am i better off buying from here itself?
Yes that's the one I was talking about. I'm not sure about warranty, although most of the GPUs I've dealt with have not had any problems at all, and I have had around 4 GPUs since my first computer in the late 2000s. I'm currently running an RX580 which I've had for 6 years, hasn't skipped a beat ever since I've gotten it.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 18:54   #3941
BHPian

Quote:

Basic PC Specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 Mobo
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM

If you are increasing your budget to a 3060ti, I would recommend going for the Radeon 6700XT. It costs the same, hits above the 3060ti and has more vram, so will be relevant for more years to come. 3060ti and even 3070ti are hitting their limits due to low vram in latest AAA games like The Last of Us and Hogwarts Legacy, to the point that these games are unplayable - just because of low vram.
There is even free Resident Evil 4 with amd graphics cards if you buy before tomorrow ends - on vedant computers

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 30th June 2023 at 18:55.
Candy$Cars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 13:50   #3942

Hello,
I am looking to purchase an Internal SSD for my Desktop Computer.

The specifications of my PC are as below:
Intel i3 4130 4th Gen
Gigabyte H81MS
8 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM + 4 GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
1 TB WD Green HDD

Which SATA SSD would be good? I have shortlisted the WD Blue 250 GB SATA SSD.
Also, will it be good to purchase an SSD on Amazon?
cartrail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 17:31   #3943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartrail View Post

What's the difference purchasing it from Amazon vs physical store ? If you buy from a legit seller, It will be original with warranty and in most cases at a cheaper rate.

This NVMe SSD I picked up from Amazon on 2020 is still working fine for last 3 yrs. You can check Youtube reviews on speed test / reliability.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-img_5932.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 19:00   #3944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
This NVMe SSD I picked up from Amazon on 2020 is still working fine for last 3 yrs. You can check Youtube reviews on speed test / reliability.
I think my PC's Gigabyte GA-H81M motherboard does not support NVMe SSD. I will do check the Samsung 870 EVO SSD. It is costlier than WD Blue by about Rs. 1000. Will it be worth the premium? My usage is moderate.
Old 4th July 2023, 21:01   #3945
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartrail View Post
Hello,
If you can, buy a 500gb. SSDs are addictive, specifically when they bring old PCs back in the game.

500gb is 1) slightly faster and 2) also can be used for all OS + application needs. With 256, you will end up putting a few applications on the slow HDD.

There is no issue buying from Amazon, normally the default vendor is always good enough, but you can choose based on reviews. I've bought several!
SLK is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks