Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2024, 22:13   #4066
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There are two items on which I have a slight different opinion. Motherboard is one component that cannot be easily upgraded. I would suggest to go for newer B550 chipset right at the outset.
Definitely, higher is always better but purely looking at the requirements, B550 expenditure would be justified if GPU is going to be a PCI-E 4.0. Which I have commented down this post itself,

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
If you still wish to go with PC and wish to spend more, then upgrade the Motherboard to a better chipset (like B550 or higher) supporting PCI-E 4.0 GPU and consider Nvidia 3060 or higher.
Quote:
I have some fairly large software installed on my PC, however boot drive is barely 120 gb occupied. So depending on usage 250gb to 500gb might suffice. There will be some cost saving in that. Video preview files take up lots of space. Those should be cleaned up regularly anyway.
When selecting SSD, there is one more thing you need to consider in this workload. TBW value. Web search should give you much better explanation than me, but basically speaking, unlike Mechanical HDD, which has virtually unlimited write cycle, any SSD will have finite amount of data write limit. Beyond that point, perofmrance, reliability and ultimately durability will start to degrade.

Larger the capacity, higher than TBW value.

Now with Video or Photo editing, there will be a lot of temporary files written with every project and that eats into this on long run.

Something to keep in mind when selecting a storage need.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 22:52   #4067
Distinguished - BHPian

I keep all my current system, program and photo files on SSD. Other data and older (than the current year) photos live on HDD. The performance benefits are really substantial.

Yes, there are a lot of writes and deletes. Yes, this may impact the lifetime of the SSD. If the benefit is worthwhile, cost it in. HDDs all fail eventually, anyway: if I get half the lifetime out of an SSD, coupled with every-day benefits, I'm happy with that.

Each to their own mileage.

(And, whatever, keep off-machine backups)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 10:16   #4068
BHPian

I'm looking to build a PC for some gaming and also want to run some LLM's locally, for that I need a GPU with higher vRAM.

The 4070 super is available for ~59k which seems like a good deal. This is perfect for 1440p gaming but it only has 12GB vRAM which i don't think will be sufficient for running LLM's.

Another one I saw is the 4060 Ti 16GB, this seems like a bad one for gaming but it has 16GB vRAM and is available at ~52k. Or do you think I should save some money and go for the rtx 3060 12GB and upgrade my GPU when it can no longer handle the load? If yes, then which motherboard and processor should I buy to support future upgrade?

Buying a used one is not something I'm comfortable with, I also don't have a build currently to test with.
Old 30th March 2024, 15:16   #4069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
I'm looking to build a PC for some gaming and also want to run some LLM's locally, for that I need a GPU with higher vRAM.

The 4070 super is available for ~59k which seems like a good deal. This is perfect for 1440p gaming but it only has 12GB vRAM which i don't think will be sufficient for running LLM's.

Another one I saw is the 4060 Ti 16GB, this seems like a bad one for gaming but it has 16GB vRAM and is available at ~52k. Or do you think I should save some money and go for the rtx 3060 12GB and upgrade my GPU when it can no longer handle the load? If yes, then which motherboard and processor should I buy to support future upgrade?

Buying a used one is not something I'm comfortable with, I also don't have a build currently to test with.
You are comparing mid-range GPU against high-end GPU. XX60 series is always meant to be mid-ranger. These are value for money cards.

You need to prioritize your objective and choose accordingly.

If VRAM is your priority, why not 4070 Ti. It has 16GB VRAM and a high-end gaming GPU. Pricey but worthy as you don't have to change GPU anytime soon.
xcentrk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 18:26   #4070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey, I own a 4070 card for gaming exclusively. I run a i5 13400f processor from intel. I run games on 1440p. Since I focus mainly on competitive, I want more fps. Thus, I use the card to run on either mid/low settings to extract higher fps. My main game is the COD Warzone which is both GPU & CPU extensive game. Rtx 4070 handles it well.

However, my suggestion to you if you're looking for longer period of usage, go for higher grades such as super versions of 4070/Ti/4080 cards. You'll never regret. I compromised on CPU. Although, no bottlenecks experienced, I'm sure my card will put out more FPS if I upgrade to i7/i9 series CPUs from Intel.

Go for latest cards and not compromise. Else, you'll end up spending again in the next one or two years because recent games are quite heavy and demand a lot from the setup. Good luck finding one!
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 08:23   #4071
BHPian

Quote:
May I ask where you are able to find one of these GPUs at this price, and how much the 4070 Ti super costs there? This is actually less expensive than the 4070 Super would be in some developed countries!

Also, look into your LLM codebase and see if there's an option to run inference on shared memory, i.e. offload some of the layers to the CPU + RAM. I believe llamacpp allows this.

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 15th April 2024 at 08:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks