Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 10:50   #2821
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

planning on building a new CPU, my old one is more than 7yrs old. how does this config look?

Processor: AMD FX-8350 8 Core Piledriver Processor 4Ghz (4.2 with Turbo Boost)
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR-V-Formula-Z 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard
Memory: Vengeance® Pro Series - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A1866C9) - Black Colour
Graphics: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 270X Toxic Boost 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
Cabinet: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full-Tower Case - Black

i'll be upgrading the cabinet a bit later due to vitamin M deficiency and also need to figure out what to do with my existing Antec 900.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 26th September 2014 at 10:51.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:52   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Do not buy an AMD CPU - they are pressure cookers this gen. You are far better off with a 4th gen Haswell.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:59   #2823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Do not buy an AMD CPU - they are pressure cookers this gen. You are far better off with a 4th gen Haswell.
not much of an Intel fan. i was going for the FX-9570 (4.7Ghz; 5Ghz on Turbo Boost), but decided to go for the FX-8350 due to the TDP rating (200w vs 125w).
Old 26th September 2014, 11:27   #2824
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
planning on building a new CPU, my old one is more than 7yrs old. how does this config look?

Processor: AMD FX-8350 8 Core Piledriver Processor 4Ghz (4.2 with Turbo Boost)
Motherboard: Asus CROSSHAIR-V-Formula-Z 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard
Memory: Vengeance® Pro Series - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit (CMY16GX3M2A1866C9) - Black Colour
Graphics: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 270X Toxic Boost 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
Cabinet: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full-Tower Case - Black
Not on a Serious note.
Your config reveals that you are a hard core gaming person.

If you are expecting to buy a good gaming machine which is slightly better than (Xbox 360 / PS3) then why dont you try Zotac Zbox EN760. This one comes with a Core I54200U & GTX 860M GPU inbuilt. (Which is also used in Alienware Laptops )

I have ordered it from Amazon and it is costing around 43+ K. Bare bone. Advantage being ultra small form factor. One could Easily carry where ever he goes.

We hardly use any 4K Ultra HD displays now a days. Also, most of the games are only 1080P's. 4K Displays and Games are couple of years away for us. Also, the playable frame rate which Game console manufacturers target is 30 FPS, which the EN760 easily smokes out.

For me (Being a casual gamer), Having a GPU which can deliver 100 FPS is of no use when my Monitor/TV is of 60HZ @ 1080P. Also, Human eye can hardly differentiate 60 & 100 FPS. Also, when DirectX 12 supported hardware gets launched, the hardware situation will be different. So will be games. Nvidia has announced that their existing lineup 800 & 900 series of hardware will support DirectX 12. So you need not upgrade again. But the case is different for AMD/ATI products. you will be forced to upgrade your hardware for DX 12 Games. Think and take your decision.

Going by your config, it exceeds the cost of this Tiny CPU. so, suggesting an alternative when there is Vitamin-M deficiency. Give it a go, if your requirements are completely different.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 26th September 2014 at 11:33.

Old 26th September 2014, 11:58   #2825
Senior - BHPian

wow! that seems interesting - a gaming PC i can take wherever i go (always wanted that) will surely look into it.

meanwhile, i'd be using this new build not only for gaming (like you rightly inferred - itching to get back on the Battlefield), but also for some medium to heavy duty video editing.

already bought a WD Caviar Green 3TB internal HDD for picture and video storage.
Old 26th September 2014, 12:15   #2826
BHPian

After having a Dell Desktop for a very long time that it could no longer be upgraded, I built my new rig earlier this year. The main desktop was built on a Rampage Black with i7 and OS on an SSD with the data moved to HDD. The OS is Windows 8 (not too hapy and waiting for the next version). Then built a second rig more to play around on linux(did not want to make a dual boot). This was on an Asus M5A97 with FX8320 running the Fedora OS.

Wanted to go for a fullfledged water cooled model, but for want of time and Vitamin M, finally went for the Corsair All in One solution. Also since I dont find time much for tweaking, thought it would be good till I find time.

Though not apple to apple comparison, found the amd also quite good. That said, I understand the latest series run really hot, to the extent the it comes with a water cooler!!
Old 26th September 2014, 12:32   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I understand the latest series run really hot, to the extent the it comes with a water cooler!!
yep, IIRC the FX-9370 and FX-9570 were running so hot that AMD later released them with the liquid cooling solution bundled.
Old 26th September 2014, 12:57   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
yep, IIRC the FX-9370 and FX-9570 were running so hot that AMD later released them with the liquid cooling solution bundled.
Yes thats the one I was mentioning. Was wondering if I needed to move to it, later realised its not that worth for my requirement. I really dont need to extract the final ounce of performance for that rig(esp when the other rig is an i7).
Old 26th September 2014, 13:19   #2829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
not much of an Intel fan. i was going for the FX-9570 (4.7Ghz; 5Ghz on Turbo Boost), but decided to go for the FX-8350 due to the TDP rating (200w vs 125w).
Neither am I but there's no denying that the current gen AMD CPUs are woeful compared to competition. Even there chipsets are a few generations behind. The only good thing left in AMD is their graphics business. Their GPUs are still good bang for the buck. I bought a 7970 almost 3 years ago and its still good enough to run anything dished out today at max settings at 1080p. Never had a graphics card last me so long and still not feel obsolete.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 26th September 2014 at 13:20.
Old 27th September 2014, 02:19   #2830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
No, Thad, this is 32 bit XP SP1. I also have another PC with a motherboard that supports both IDE and SATA and there's no problem with the SATA HDD on that one (c. 2007 build) - XP works fine, no hitch. But this motherboard is new, with a new intel socket and a new chip generation so may be something to do with that. The only 'help' I found is a series of opinions that suggest using a tool called nLite to burn a modified version of the Win XP CD by also burning the motherboard SATA drivers (called 'slipstreaming'). There's no solution to installing SATA drivers after the XP install has been made using the IDE-legacy mode. In fact if I revert to the original SATA mode, the machine refuses to boot and gets stuck on the 'Windows did not load ok' screen See this well written article - that's the problem I partly have (except they solve it by getting the drivers first whereas I installed XP by changing the mode first):

http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite
Painful. of course it is in Microsoft's interests that XP should not work with more modern hardware.

I have tried nlight, for slipstreaming service packs and updates, and for customising. I don't think I got on very well with it.

Hopefully, I shall never have to install MS software on a machine of my own ever again! I wonder when I'll get around to deleting that partition. Probably when I get around to deleting the Ubuntu 10.4 and 11.4 partitions!
Old 30th September 2014, 12:34   #2831
BHPian

Gents!

Need your expert guidance in helping me build a cheap-but-cheerful rig

My 7 year old rig has died, and I'm thinking of building a new one. However, high dollar value is restricting me from spending anything more than 40k on the build. Also, as Chaos has quoted in posts before this, AMD's current performance is woeful. So condidering AMD for a cheap rig goes out the window. Only option as it stands now, is looking at Intel.

So I found this really interesting article on Tom's Hardware. It's about the Intel G3258. A cheap-as-chips chip that costs about 5k, but can run OC'ed till 4.2 Ghz on the stock cooler. After reading up a bit, found that some basic boards also support this chip, with some BIOS updates. So wanted to get an opinion from the experts here, if it made sense to get this config.

The config I have in mind is as follows:

Intel G3258 - 5K
MSI/Asus H81 chipset mobo - 7-8k
RAM Corsair 4GB*2 DDR3 1600 - 7.5k
Gfx Card - ATI/AMD R7 250/250x - 7k

I intend to hook these up in my existing cabby, a Cooler Master 690, with a Corsair CX 430 W PSU, and an ancient Viewsonic 20" LCD with 1680*1050 resolution.

So? Do you guys think this makes sense? Of course, I intend to OC the processor nicely, till about 4.0 Ghz, and it is supposed to be stable at those speeds with the heat in check as well. Should help me play some games, and watch HD stuff in reasonable comfort, don't you think?

Please do share your opinion. Please note that I'm not interested in spending any more than 40k for this build. PC's are a dying breed, and I have no intentions of splurging more money than I can spare on something that adds very little value to my life at this time.

Thanks in advance fellas, Cheers!
Old 1st October 2014, 21:58   #2832
BHPian

Hey guys

So I'm doing my first gaming PC build. And here are the parts I have in mind.

1. CABINET
Cooler Master HAF 912

2. CPU
Intel Core i7 - 4790K - Devil's Canyon
@4.0 Ghz and 4.4 GHz(OC)

3. Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Hero

4. RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3
1600 MHz

5. STORAGE
Seagate Barracuda - 1TB HDD 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
+
Samsung 840 Pro Series - 128GB SSD 6Gb/s SATA

6. GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB DDR5

7. PSU(SMPS)
Corsair VS650 650 W

My question is, where is a good place in a Bangalore to get these parts for the best price?
Thanks in advance guys.
Old 1st October 2014, 22:30   #2833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
So I'm doing my first gaming PC build.
My question is, where is a good place in a Bangalore to get these parts for the best price?
I'm lazy to run around, so I usually pull together parts online.

I tend to use www.theitdepot.com for most component purchases. Although based in Chennai, they ship quickly and with tremendously good packaging. I do a quick price-check against Flipkart, Amazon.in and Amazon.com.

In a few instances, I found that Amazon.com's price+shipping+customs came a shade under the price on the Indian sites. Also, Amazon.com offers you some non-mainstream stuff that you'll otherwise struggle to source in India.
Old 1st October 2014, 22:43   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
Hey guys

So I'm doing my first gaming PC build. And here are the parts I have in mind.

1. CABINET
Cooler Master HAF 912

2. CPU
Intel Core i7 - 4790K - Devil's Canyon
@4.0 Ghz and 4.4 GHz(OC)

3. Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Hero

4. RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3
1600 MHz

5. STORAGE
Seagate Barracuda - 1TB HDD 6Gb/s 7200 RPM
+
Samsung 840 Pro Series - 128GB SSD 6Gb/s SATA

6. GPU
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB DDR5

7. PSU(SMPS)
Corsair VS650 650 W

Thanks in advance guys.
Buy a 980/970 instead of a 780. Far far superior card.
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:50   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I'm lazy to run around, so I usually pull together parts online.

I tend to use www.theitdepot.com for most component purchases. Although based in Chennai, they ship quickly and with tremendously good packaging. I do a quick price-check against Flipkart, Amazon.in and Amazon.com.

In a few instances, I found that Amazon.com's price+shipping+customs came a shade under the price on the Indian sites. Also, Amazon.com offers you some non-mainstream stuff that you'll otherwise struggle to source in India.
Thanks Arun! TheITDepot does have all the stuff I need for great prices! The reason though, why I asked for a place to physically browse through this stuff and buy, is because I would probably get a sizable discount while buying all of this together from a single place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Buy a 980/970 instead of a 780. Far far superior card.
Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah although, the GTX 980 isn't available in the market right now. I will either go for the GTX 970 or the 780. I would love to get a 780ti, but don't have the budget for that.

The GTX 980, will be pretty expensive too once it out. I'm thinking upwards of 50k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks