Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 17:09   #2836
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
My question is, where is a good place in a Bangalore to get these parts for the best price?
Back in the day when I was into building gaming rigs with a few friends (2000-2002) SP Road in Bangalore was the place to go. Prices were lower than market price and you could also bargain hard for bulk discount if you buy all stuff in one place. Not sure how the trend has changed and if SP road still offers VFM or not. You could give it a try.
Old 3rd October 2014, 17:15   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Back in the day when I was into building gaming rigs with a few friends (2000-2002) SP Road in Bangalore was the place to go. Prices were lower than market price and you could also bargain hard for bulk discount if you buy all stuff in one place. Not sure how the trend has changed and if SP road still offers VFM or not. You could give it a try.
Thanks Abhinav! I'll definitely check out shops in SP Road. Are you sure that they sell genuine parts? I have heard stories about SP Road, where people get ripped off by some dealers selling you stolen goods.

One of my friends, once told me that some dealers steal products before they can go through customs, and hence they are able to sell it off at cheap prices while still yielding profits. Hope that's not the case.
Old 3rd October 2014, 18:19   #2838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abhinav! I'll definitely check out shops in SP Road. Are you sure that they sell genuine parts?
Not sure of all shops but there are certain shops who are genuine and give you the mfg. warranty on the parts as well. My memory fails me now with regards to the shop name sorry. But if you scour the street, you will get a fair idea and can zero in on the shop which feels genuine to you.
Old 3rd October 2014, 22:39   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abhinav! I'll definitely check out shops in SP Road. Are you sure that they sell genuine parts? I have heard stories about SP Road, where people get ripped off by some dealers selling you stolen goods.

One of my friends, once told me that some dealers steal products before they can go through customs, and hence they are able to sell it off at cheap prices while still yielding profits. Hope that's not the case.
Your friend has zero clue about what he is talking about. Pretty much 99.99% of stuff sold on sp road is genuine with full warranty. Go to aashirwaad computers. He is my regular dealer.
Old 4th October 2014, 08:42   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Your friend has zero clue about what he is talking about. Pretty much 99.99% of stuff sold on sp road is genuine with full warranty. Go to aashirwaad computers. He is my regular dealer.
Ah. Now I feel silly.
Thank you for clearing that up.
Old 4th October 2014, 11:49   #2841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Pretty much 99.99% of stuff sold on sp road is genuine with full warranty. Go to aashirwaad computers. He is my regular dealer.

when i built the first PC for myself personal use based on the AMD 3800+ in 2006, i sourced all my parts from SP road, even the Antec TX-1050B tower casing (which i still have and want to give away) - which they sourced from Chennai since it wasn't available in Bangalore. they even helped with the ASUS RMA when my network circuit go fried in a lightning strike. it was Bangalore Computers IIRC, as you enter SP road, second left and somewhere in the middle of the street on the left.

the current PC i use was completely sourced from TheITDepot, from RAM coolers to the gaming cabinet. nice people and very helpful. this was when they had just about started their online business (they already had their physical stores in Chennai) and the AMD Spider platform was released and on my request they sourced the AMD Phenom quad core processor (1st gen) - it was not available online anywhere in India.

there is a shop in Barton Center, M.G Road too, can't recall the name or the floor; if you look at the company roster on the ground floor you might be able to figure it out. got my 23" Dell monitor from there when it was not available anywhere, prices seem competitive too.

ps: if you're planning to go to SP road, you might wanna use public transport as one thing they're really short on is parking space
Old 4th October 2014, 15:19   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

when i built the first PC for myself personal use based on the AMD 3800+ in 2006, i sourced all my parts from SP road, even the Antec TX-1050B tower casing (which i still have and want to give away) - which they sourced from Chennai since it wasn't available in Bangalore. they even helped with the ASUS RMA when my network circuit go fried in a lightning strike. it was Bangalore Computers IIRC, as you enter SP road, second left and somewhere in the middle of the street on the left.

the current PC i use was completely sourced from TheITDepot, from RAM coolers to the gaming cabinet. nice people and very helpful. this was when they had just about started their online business (they already had their physical stores in Chennai) and the AMD Spider platform was released and on my request they sourced the AMD Phenom quad core processor (1st gen) - it was not available online anywhere in India.

there is a shop in Barton Center, M.G Road too, can't recall the name or the floor; if you look at the company roster on the ground floor you might be able to figure it out. got my 23" Dell monitor from there when it was not available anywhere, prices seem competitive too.

ps: if you're planning to go to SP road, you might wanna use public transport as one thing they're really short on is parking space
Yes I like it depot too especially for cabinets. As for sp road, one can park in unity/utility building whatever it is called.
Old 6th October 2014, 10:47   #2843
Senior - BHPian

guys, quick question - G.Skill Ripjaws is better or Corsair Vengeance Pro series?
Old 7th October 2014, 13:23   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
guys, quick question - G.Skill Ripjaws is better or Corsair Vengeance Pro series?
They are both good. It really comes down to the Motherboard and CPU. If you are running at normal frequencies and not overclocking any of your hardware, it doesn't matter which one you use. Although, the vengeance pro series would be my personal choice.

On the other hand if you want to get the most out of your CPU(assuming you have an overclock-able one), you'd want to look into the compatibility of the RAM frequency speeds with your respective CPU.

For example, most Corsair Vengeance series modules come with XMP(Extreme Profile), which allows you to boost the clock frequency of your RAM to higher frequencies - like 1600Mhz can be pushed to 1866 or 2400. Now this is where you want to do your research and see which frequencies support your RAM frequencies best.

Also, some RAM modules work better on some Motherboards than others. Like, if you have a dual-DIMM motherboards, you want to get 2 sticks of RAM to get the best performance and 4 sticks for quad channel supported ones.

The difference is not that great, btw, if you just use 1 stick of RAM instead of 2, or just an odd number, in a general case.

So, bottom-line, if you're not much into gaming or other demanding stuff and if you just want to do normal video watching, browsing sorta work, you don't need to worry about the overclocking capabilities and whatnot. Any of these two will get the job done! Slight edge to the Corsair Vengeance Pro series though :P, for their better heat-sinks and just neato looking RAM modules.

Last edited by Skye1592 : 7th October 2014 at 13:28.
Old 7th October 2014, 14:56   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Need some help. We are looking for a office desktop. But have a space constraint. How good / bad is the below mentioned all in one? The use is going to be just MS office, emails, tally, web browsing and basic photo editing in Picassa. etc.

Lenovo C260 All-in-One (CDC/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1)
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-c260-...3-81b813409646

Are these upgrade able? How reliable are All In Ones?

Regards,
Old 7th October 2014, 16:47   #2846
Senior - BHPian

The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Need some help. We are looking for a office desktop. But have a space constraint. How good / bad is the below mentioned all in one? The use is going to be just MS office, emails, tally, web browsing and basic photo editing in Picassa. etc.

Lenovo C260 All-in-One (CDC/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Win8.1)
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-c260-...3-81b813409646

Are these upgrade able? How reliable are All In Ones?

Regards,

That's should be more than enough. However, these all-in-one systems are not upgradable, but would sure save you some space.

@Skye1592: thanks for your inputs although a bit late I have already placed the order for 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws, the configuration I'm planning to build is couple post above. Don't intend to overclock as of now, maybe later. Hence, all components will be running in their stock mode.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 7th October 2014 at 16:55.
Old 8th October 2014, 18:00   #2847
Senior - BHPian

The motherboard just arrived (from IT Depot). Here's the unboxing

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771223.170639.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771248.139682.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771259.774847.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771277.658974.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771297.027620.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771310.379493.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771328.513768.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771341.431975.jpg
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1412771355.965668.jpg

Waiting for the other components to arrive to start the build
Old 8th October 2014, 21:19   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Painful. of course it is in Microsoft's interests that XP should not work with more modern hardware.

I have tried nlight, for slipstreaming service packs and updates, and for customising. I don't think I got on very well with it.

Hopefully, I shall never have to install MS software on a machine of my own ever again! I wonder when I'll get around to deleting that partition. Probably when I get around to deleting the Ubuntu 10.4 and 11.4 partitions!
Finally after a week of tinkering around and a great deal of experimentation I managed to install Windows 7 on the new system. My brother tried very hard to convince me to use Win 8.1 (and come April 2015 he will no doubt try the same with Windows 10) but I was having none of it.

I discovered a few interesting things on the installation process.

- It is possible to make a bootable usb flash drive for Win 7/8 installation but apparently the external USD HDDs cannot be used like that. In my case I ran out of DVDs and had only 2GB pen (flash) drives. Finally I dug out an ancient Creative Zen Media Player (lesser-known cousin of the second generation ipod) and for some inexplicable reason it was detected as a flash drive and not removable storage.

- On the newer motherboards, the default settings for booting from USB flash drives use some new protocol called UEFI, which did not work for my USB drive (the Zen mentioned above). There was a way, however, to force the BIOS to simulate the USB drive as an external HDD and that worked.

- Older cameras with SD cards (4GB / 8 GB) can also be treated as emergency USB flash drives, as can certain phones.

- My new motherboard had a default setting to provide video output through the PCI card interface first and the integrated graphics port second. By changing this order I managed to reduce a few seconds of boot time.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:54   #2849
BHPian

Need some help guys!

My >4 year old laptop has nearly conked off n repair guys ate also giving up on it. So I'm on the lookout for a new computer, not necessarily a laptop. Also, i'm in need for a new TV!

My question - can I build a PC with a ~24" monitor which can double up as a TV?? If so, can someone suggest brands/models??
Old 8th October 2014, 23:07   #2850
BHPian

You have 2 options
One, use an led TV as your monitor by using an hdmi cable.
Two, use a TV tuner card in your PC and use the regular LED monitor as a TV.
The second option is usually cheaper.

Thanks
Sunny

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks