Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 19:18   #2956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But Xeons are frightfully expensive!
So I am actually thinking of going down to I5-4440 to save cost.

If I may, since you are building a desktop, and hence do not need to minimise TDP (as used in laptop), you could go for one generation older processors to save a bit.

The 3rd gen processors are almost at par with 4th gen, except for the power consumption. That way you could probably reduce the cost of your system.

I have never worked with Xeon, but again, I do have a feeling that an older Xeon would be at par/better than i7(due to more cores) . But then again you will need a different motherboard to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
^^^
I second this suggestion, SSD gives a HUGE improvement and your machine becomes superfast.

I recently purchased a new laptop (ASUS, 11.6 inch, i3, 4 GB RAM) and replaced its HDD with SSD(probably voided warrenty in process). My laptop startsup in less than 15seconds, shuts down in less than 10 sec. - I have installed win 7 ultimate and Ubuntu 14.04
Wow, this is exactly what I did too. Did you also get it from Amazon during the discount period/offer ? I added a 256 Gb SSD, but now after seeing the laptop's performance, I am tempted to do the same for my 3 year old iMac. Though a bit more tricky, certainly do-able with right set of tools and good company.

PS-warranty is not voided, incase something happens, just put back the hdd. Warranty is voided if you remove the sticker that's attached that says "warranty void if removed"

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th April 2015 at 14:06. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 13th April 2015, 02:51   #2957
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Operating Systems Weekend

I have been up/cross/side/whatever-grading from Ubuntu 12.04 (a mongrel of Ubuntu Studio, KXStudio and Mate desktop) to Linux Mint 17.1 --- Mate version of course.

My personal definition of success in a system upgrade is that the look and feel remains as much the same as is possible. It's the same desktop, which gets me off to a good start, and Compiz just works in this distribution (subject to the limitations of kernel support and my graphics card: no revolving cubes for me, but that isn't what I want anyway). I've made no attempt to get the Emerald themes installed and working yet, and the colour chooser software that worked with MATE 1.6 doesn't seem to work with 1.8.

Firefox has been quite a task. I had locked the version number down before they did the make-it-look-like-google-chrome thing that many of us hate: I think I've upgraded from Version-a-Day-Mozilla's 27 to 37! And installed Classic Theme Restorer.

Compiz just imported my exported old settings. Thunderbird/Lightning just looked at it's ini file with pointer to my existing "profile" and ran. Oh! I wonder if the Google-mail contacts sync thing is working!

I still have to catch up with the things I only use from time to time, but have left behind hundreds of bits of software that I never used.

Stupid things like the confusion that my system's Realtek NIC causes Linux, and the very slight differences in manual network configuration, seemed to take an age --- and when it all worked, I could have sworn that that was what I'd tried in the first place!

It's all the same hardware though...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th April 2015 at 02:53.
Old 13th April 2015, 12:39   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you want to do a lot of Video processing a faster multi core processor is a must. Other wise you will spend an hour encoding 20 min video.

The XEON throughput is even faster for encoding Videos. My 7 year old Dual Quad Xeon (8 cores total), out paces the latest and fastest I7.
Based on what you have been saying about XEONs, I thought about it for my next upgrade due in 2015.

My only problem is the component side of things. Will I get a MB that could deliver WIFI, enough (6-8) SATA3 ports, PCI-E, usb 3.0, and all the other gizmos in high-end desktop oriented MBs.

For the record, I have a core i7-3930K, ASUS X79 deluxe. Would look at core i7-5820K, DDR4 RAM, and perhaps asus x99 deluxe. I do not know if there is a xeon system that can deliver the consumer oriented features, but if you know, would be grateful for the info.
Old 13th April 2015, 13:20   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Based on what you have been saying about XEONs, I thought about it for my next upgrade due in 2015.

My only problem is the component side of things. Will I get a MB that could deliver WIFI, enough (6-8) SATA3 ports, PCI-E, usb 3.0, and all the other gizmos in high-end desktop oriented MBs.

For the record, I have a core i7-3930K, ASUS X79 deluxe. Would look at core i7-5820K, DDR4 RAM, and perhaps asus x99 deluxe. I do not know if there is a xeon system that can deliver the consumer oriented features, but if you know, would be grateful for the info.
. You have do a search on the net for compatible mother boards. Look for server boards from Intel and Tyan.
. In some cases it may be cheaper to buy add on USB3 and SATA cards rather than have sufficient number on the MB
. Next check the availability and price from Nehru Place
. Estimate the power requirement. Keep in mind that 6-8 HDD and Graphics cards will consume at least 400W of power if not more. I have 1000W, which is sufficient for 6 HDD and 2 mid range graphics cards.

Here is a comparison of 3 boards
http://ark.intel.com/compare/83030,83028,83029

These are around US$600/ in retail. Should be similarly priced in India
Old 13th April 2015, 13:39   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the links. Never researched on Xeon and always thought that MBs were limited. Thanks for the eyeopener.

Will have to evaluate though in terms of cost vs benefits. Pricing for just the necessary components-CPU, MB, RAM could be 20-25% higher or around Rs. 25-30K. (i7-5820K with 16GB DDR4 and high end MB is around 80-85K). Existing PSU at 850W silver is not an issue.
Old 13th April 2015, 13:41   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Naveen, you need to invest in an SSD IMO. Addresses all your issues. The OS loads much much faster, games, .pdfs, Lightroom etc. opens instantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
^^^
I second this suggestion, SSD gives a HUGE improvement and your machine becomes superfast.

BTW, hope your win 7 is a 64 bit version, as 32 bit version will not be able to utilize more that 3 GB RAM.
Thanks guys. Yes, it is Windblows 64 bit edition. Also, SSD is an option but one I cannot take right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Check why computer is slow with Resource Monitor ( resmon.exe ). Useful article : http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-re...itor-windows-7
Thanks for the pointer to the article! It helped in clearing out some bottle-necks and even helped me locate some browser addon that was hogging RAM. Fans etc are fine.

Guess I have optimized enough. I see a noticeable difference.
Old 13th April 2015, 14:01   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Thanks for the links. Never researched on Xeon and always thought that MBs were limited. Thanks for the eyeopener.

Will have to evaluate though in terms of cost vs benefits. Pricing for just the necessary components-CPU, MB, RAM could be 20-25% higher or around Rs. 25-30K. (i7-5820K with 16GB DDR4 and high end MB is around 80-85K). Existing PSU at 850W silver is not an issue.
Another route to go is to buy XEON based Workstations from IBM, HP or Apple. The markup is around 50%, but benefits are zero hassles and at least 3 years warranty. As I live near Nehru Place, it is no problem to take the system there, but if you are away from there for each and every small problem as well as warranty claim, you have to visit the supplier.
Old 2nd June 2015, 14:50   #2963
Distinguished - BHPian

Network Experts, please advise...

I have an Airtel broadband connection and a Netgear DG834Gv3 modem router. It is old, but every other modem has died, so I continue to use it as a modem. I use a Trendnet wireless router for wireless.

There have been continuing problems with the broadband over several months: it will work fine for a week or three, then the link will not stay up for more than a minute or five, or maybe a good patch of a few hours. The Airtel engineers come and waffle, go away, say that they have found and fixed some line fault, and they are also doing major cable upgrades in the area anyway, and it will be fine now.

Of course, I never look at the router log unless there is a problem. On top of my broadband woes, I am now finding this sort of thing in the log:

Quote:
Tue, 2015-06-02 14:18:48 - TCP Packet - Source:99.169.92.107,55858 Destination:122.178.65.28,26465 - [DOS]
Tue, 2015-06-02 14:18:48 - TCP Packet - Source:41.45.117.56,50574 Destination:122.178.65.28,26465 - [DOS]
Tue, 2015-06-02 14:18:49 - TCP Packet - Source:46.108.110.93,55862 Destination:122.178.65.28,26465 - [DOS]
Tue, 2015-06-02 14:18:49 - TCP Packet - Source:46.166.190.223,58562 Destination:122.178.65.28,26465 - [DOS]
Tue, 2015-06-02 14:18:49 - TCP Packet - Source:77.96.254.152,65173 Destination:122.178.65.28,26465 - [DOS]
Tue, 2015-06-02 14:18:49 - TCP Packet - Source:14.200.47.65,56017 Destination:122.178.65.28,26465 - [DOS]
The rule to allow Torrents through the router is currently disabled.

The clients on the LAN/WLAN are all Linux or Android. The internal IP addresses are all on 192.168.1.0.

Quote:
$ whois 122.178.65.28
% Information related to '122.178.0.0 - 122.178.127.255'

inetnum: 122.178.0.0 - 122.178.127.255
netname: BNLT-256821-Chennai
descr: Bharti Telenet Ltd. Tamilnadu
descr: B.no101
descr: SANTHOME HIGH ROAD
descr: FORESHORE ESTATE
descr: Chennai
descr: Tamil Nadu
descr: India
descr: Contact Person: Narasimhan. k.r
descr: Email: kr.narasimhan@airtel.in
descr: Phone: 9840299134
admin-c: NA40-AP
tech-c: NA40-AP
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-BBIL
changed: rar.data@airtel.in 20100111
source: APNIC

person: Network Administrator
nic-hdl: NA40-AP
e-mail: techsupport@airtel.com
address: Bharti Airtel Ltd.
address: ISP Division - Transport Network Group
address: Plot no.16 , Udyog Vihar , Phase -IV , Gurgaon - 122015 , Haryana , INDIA
address: Phase III, New Delhi-110020, INDIA
phone: +91-124-4222222
fax-no: +91-124-4244017
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-BBIL
changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20110307

% Information related to '122.178.65.0/24AS24560'

route: 122.178.65.0/24
descr: ABTS-TN-DSL-CHN
descr: ABTS Tamilnadu
descr: DSL Services 101,
descr: Santhome High Road,
descr: Chennai, Tamilnadu
descr: INDIA
origin: AS24560
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-TELEMEDIA
changed: dsl.noctn@airtel.in 20090723

% This query was served by the APNIC Whois Service version 1.69.1-APNICv1r0 (UNDEFINED)
It is not clear to me from the router log whether the source is inside or outside my LAN. How do I check this?

NB: Only Linux is available, no windows, and I have forgotten most of my techie experience a decade ago, but I am not intrinsically afraid of the command line or even a simple shell script
Old 2nd June 2015, 15:57   #2964
BHPian

@Thad: check if this router has any "security scan" feature enabled on connecting clients?
Also, can you confirm that 122.178.65.28 is your (dynamic?) public IP by checking at http://ifconfig.me ?
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:35   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Network Experts, please advise...

I have an Airtel broadband connection and a Netgear DG834Gv3 modem router. It is old, but every other modem has died, so I continue to use it as a modem. I use a Trendnet wireless router for wireless.

The clients on the LAN/WLAN are all Linux or Android. The internal IP addresses are all on 192.168.1.0.

It is not clear to me from the router log whether the source is inside or outside my LAN. How do I check this?

NB: Only Linux is available, no windows, and I have forgotten most of my techie experience a decade ago, but I am not intrinsically afraid of the command line or even a simple shell script
At the time the log file was generated your external IP was 122.178.65.28 which resolves to Bharti Telenet Ltd. Tamilnadu - specifically to some place in Chennai.

The various other IPs (source) have established communication to the destination - your router.

Now for the first in the list : 99.169.92.107 resolves to Palm Bay in Florida, US - probably some to DSL line. As the log is not enough to peek, I can't tell you much from what you have provided.

Point your browser which is connected to the internet through your modem here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
It will test your router for some common vulnerabilities.
Old 2nd June 2015, 22:51   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you both. I have a feeling I have seen the GRC service before; perhaps in a previous lifetime! Anyway, according to it, my system is utterly invulnerable.

Well, OK, just a bit secure: I remember the firewall-course maxim: if you want a completely secure computer, put it in a concrete bunker and have no connection whatsoever to anything outside the bunker. The trouble is that it is not a very useful computer.

Anyway, it passes the GRC tests. All ports are "stealth." Some tests seem to be related to Windows, but I run a Samba server on my machine, so I'm happy to know that that is invisible to the outside world.

Due to this up/down problem, my external IP is probably changing all the time anyway. According to GRC's reverse DNS, there is nothing to associate it with me.

I notice the router log box, "Include Known DoS attacks and Port Scans" is ticked. Maybe that just gave me something to worry about!

My broadband is up-downing at a fast rate, and there have been no more DOS packets caught. I think I just have to worry about Airtel and their inability to fix the line.

I notice the router log box, "Include Known DoS attacks and Port Scans" is ticked. Maybe that just gave me something to worry about!

I ran clamscan (antivirus) and went out to a concert. It took 3 hours, scrolled its messages up the screen, does not appear to have logged them, and told me it found 4 infected files. I'm running it again, simultaneously on different file systems. SO far, one thing found to knock on the head: an alleged Windows trojan in some Reliance driver files, for a device that I have not used for a couple of years anyway.
Old 28th June 2015, 18:07   #2967
Team-BHP Support

In the late 90s in USA, as Internet commerce came to life, I switched from brick & mortar computer shop to Dell Store. I could exactly pick every component and then order exactly what I wanted, whether it was Server or PC or Laptop. Life was great...

Fast forward 16 years, and I went to Dell India website to configure a desktop. Configure? The Stupid Dell Store has moved back to stone age. I can't configure anything. They want to sell me even a monitor of their choice, and I have no way to deselect it. I have MSDN subscription, so I don't need the bundled OS. Oops! I can't get rid of that too.

Why has the Dell Store become so monumentally stupid? Their main USP was their ability to let the customers chose exactly what they want. Now they are no different than Croma store.
Old 28th June 2015, 19:21   #2968
Senior - BHPian

In Sep 2011, when I bought a Dell laptop on their website, they could let me customise on processor and some more stuff, but I still had to buy an OS. That was a waste as I had a Technet Pro subscription.

From around 2012-13, Dell stopped letting people customise and it was all or nothing. By comparison, it has always remained customisable in US and UK. For my future laptop needs, if it is Dell, it will be from UK. My brother stays in London and people come and go regularly to London. Compared the prices and UK is cheaper and there are lots of discounts. Warranty could be an issue however. No regular access to US though except from regular online shopping.

Even other OEMs are not so much better, but they have largely continued with their lousy websites for many years. What you see is not what you get or what you can do is to let them give you a call. Pathetic strategy towards e-commerce.
Old 28th June 2015, 19:32   #2969
Team-BHP Support

So... I am looking Intel NUC. I can add memory, SSD drive, display and OS of my choice. Finally a SSD PC, wondering why not.

Anybody here used the NUC, how do you rate it?
Old 28th June 2015, 20:03   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So... I am looking Intel NUC. I can add memory, SSD drive, display and OS of my choice. Finally a SSD PC, wondering why not.

Anybody here used the NUC, how do you rate it?
I am using the Intel NUC mode DC3217IYE model from past two years. I can absolutely vouch for the confg with SSD it is mind boggling..

The config I have is a i3 based chipset and 16GB of DDR3 ram thats the max it can support. It is up 24X7 I do host a private FTP site for my own use. Even running a Windows 8.1 Pro along.. Its a beast. I have a 64GB SSD loaded for the OS and all the data resides on a Seagate 4TB external drive. The bootup time is merely 15 seconds. Go for the latest i5 model which will be even more powerful. The best part is it consumes less power as good as a laptop because it runs on a DC power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks