Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2016, 09:35   #3016
Senior - BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

SSD is fine for files that are constantly accessed, but for long term storage a high capacity 5400 RPM HDD is the best option. These low speed disks last longer in archive mode, consume less power and are generally built to last a long time.

If you are getting equipment from US, then be on lookout for 4 HDD NAS boxes. These will give you facility of external storage accessible from desktop as well as Laptop.

You can also explore a 4/5 bay hot plug SATA cage for the desktop.
Old 27th August 2016, 09:43   #3017
Senior - BHPian

The Computer & Configuration Thread

I was thinking of getting the WD My Cloud Mirror, the 6TB version - Western Digital My Cloud Mirror WDBWVZ0060JWT-NESN 6TB Personal Network Attached Storage (White) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B014LE5D0M/..._KjrWxbZP6C075. Basically for backing up data (mostly GoPro videos, pictures/videos from my phone/DSLR and other personal data) over the network and since it's RAID enabled, the data would be safe in case the primary volume gets corrupt (me thinks).

Worth it?
Old 27th August 2016, 10:24   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I was thinking of getting the WD My Cloud Mirror, the 6TB version - Western Digital My Cloud Mirror WDBWVZ0060JWT-NESN 6TB Personal Network Attached Storage (White) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B014LE5D0M/..._KjrWxbZP6C075. Basically for backing up data (mostly GoPro videos, pictures/videos from my phone/DSLR and other personal data) over the network and since it's RAID enabled, the data would be safe in case the primary volume gets corrupt (me thinks).

Worth it?
I personally prefer basic HDD for backup. Two or mirrored configuration if you want to be safe.

The best option is to get a 8/12/16 slot HDD cage with a simple NAS controller and then populate the slots (as and when you need) with disks. You can use backup software to configure the disk allotments and backup schedules.

RAID unless it is enterprise level can fail occasionally and corrupt the data. Further hardware RAID is propitiatory to the manufacturer, so in case of controller failure you are dependent on the manufacturer.
Old 27th August 2016, 10:34   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I personally prefer basic HDD for backup. Two or mirrored configuration if you want to be safe.

The best option is to get a 8/12/16 slot HDD cage with a simple NAS controller and then populate the slots (as and when you need) with disks. You can use backup software to configure the disk allotments and backup schedules.

RAID unless it is enterprise level can fail occasionally and corrupt the data. Further hardware RAID is propitiatory to the manufacturer, so in case of controller failure you are dependent on the manufacturer.

Thanks Aroy. Would you able to suggest an alternative and where I could procure them?

Also, with regards to HDD, which one is more reliable? The My Cloud Mirror uses WD Red drives.
Old 27th August 2016, 11:07   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy. Would you able to suggest an alternative and where I could procure them?

Also, with regards to HDD, which one is more reliable? The My Cloud Mirror uses WD Red drives.
Here are some internal cages
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...99%20600551589
http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=163

and some NAS products
http://www.seagate.com/in/en/consume...rackmount-nas/
http://www.seagate.com/in/en/consume...agate-nas-pro/
Old 13th September 2016, 16:44   #3021
BHPian

Looking for a new monitor to mirror my android phone and laptop. Narrowed down to BENQ EW2740 but sadly it does not have a wall mounting option. So only available option next is the BENQ GW2760HS. Both with minimal difference in appearance, features and cost.
Only bonus is, MHL cable is available with the EW. Anyways at this point needing wall mount I am tipping my choice towards the GW, does anyone has experience with this monitor? My primary use it to browse/watch youtube and secondary is to do powerpoint.
Coming to the buying, does it make sense to buy it at the local store or I am getting it at good Rs 1500/- discounted at patym, please suggest the way to go. It has been eating my head a good 2 months.
Old 13th September 2016, 17:08   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Sorry for the hijack, but the icydock enclosures are just droolworthy
Old 13th September 2016, 17:48   #3023
BHPian

Quote:

Yo Ninjaman !
WD Red is their offering for use in Datacenters etc and to store CCTV footage.
But all things considered, if you're looking for the most reliable HDD on the market, get yourself a Hitachi drive.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...ility-q4-2015/

Cheers !

Sundar
Old 13th September 2016, 18:52   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Coming to the buying, does it make sense to buy it at the local store or I am getting it at good Rs 1500/- discounted at patym
I have purchased a lot on paytm, you should take it if it is cheaper there. Amongst my purchases have been kurlon mattresses, yamaha guitar, 2 asus laptops, microwave, induction stove etc.
Old 2nd October 2016, 19:32   #3025
BHPian

I am planning to procure a PC only normal stuff, no hifi gamming. Truly confused between two things, which company should I prefer HP or Dell, and my second confusions is which is better ALL in One Monitor Type or Conventional Tower Type.

Gut feeling says, Tower type are better as All In One Monitor will expensive to maintain in case there is some problem in the long run. Guru's pls help
Old 2nd October 2016, 20:41   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Gut feeling says, Tower type are better as All In One Monitor will expensive to maintain in case there is some problem in the long run.
I read one incident here that in an AIO, when there was a display problem, the whole unit had to be sent in with a delay in getting a replacement and that is a likely point to consider between an AIO and a tower+monitor PC.
Old 2nd October 2016, 20:52   #3027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to procure a PC only normal stuff, no hifi gamming. Truly confused between two things, which company should I prefer HP or Dell, and my second confusions is which is better ALL in One Monitor Type or Conventional Tower Type.

Gut feeling says, Tower type are better as All In One Monitor will expensive to maintain in case there is some problem in the long run. Guru's pls help
The first part of your question is an easy one - there's no tangible difference between Dell and HP, given that both are massive OEMs. It comes down to an individual model that you might like from either vendor.

AIO vs tower is a question of compromises and priorities. An AIO is more of an "applicance" - highly integrated, it just works, and is quite clean with much lesser wiring required. The con is that it has poor/no upgradeability.

On the other hand, a tower is more flexible, allowing you to mix and match components (e.g. gaming monitor, photo-realistic IPS monitor, etc.), offers varying amounts of upgradeability. But a tower takes up more space.

Yes, there's a risk that in case of failure, an AIO is like a laptop in that the entire unit has to be sent in. But on the other hand, if your tower stops working, chances are that there's not much you can do with just the monitor.

If you're a hands-on guy who might tinker with even minor upgrades (like a bigger hard disk, etc.) then consider a tower. If you're getting a computer for someone (including yourself) who doesn't do that, and just wants an appliance, then an AIO is great. I would buy a tower for myself, an AIO for my parents.
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:21   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I read one incident here that in an AIO, when there was a display problem, the whole unit had to be sent in with a delay in getting a replacement and that is a likely point to consider between an AIO and a tower+monitor PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The first part of your question is an easy one - there's no tangible difference between Dell and HP, given that both are massive OEMs. It comes down to an individual model that you might like from either vendor.

AIO vs tower is a question of compromises and priorities. An AIO is more of an "applicance" - highly integrated, it just works, and is quite clean with much lesser wiring required. The con is that it has poor/no upgradeability.

On the other hand, a tower is more flexible, allowing you to mix and match components (e.g. gaming monitor, photo-realistic IPS monitor, etc.), offers varying amounts of upgradeability. But a tower takes up more space.

Yes, there's a risk that in case of failure, an AIO is like a laptop in that the entire unit has to be sent in. But on the other hand, if your tower stops working, chances are that there's not much you can do with just the monitor.

If you're a hands-on guy who might tinker with even minor upgrades (like a bigger hard disk, etc.) then consider a tower. If you're getting a computer for someone (including yourself) who doesn't do that, and just wants an appliance, then an AIO is great. I would buy a tower for myself, an AIO for my parents.
Many thanks buddies!! It's basically for my father, I surely love the AOI with less wiring. In case of clarity of screens and on site warranty of screens which one you would rate better amongst HP or Dell
Old 2nd October 2016, 21:40   #3029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In case of clarity of screens and on site warranty of screens which one you would rate better amongst HP or Dell
Screen clarity - IPS or PVA LCD panels are preferable because they give better quality than the default TN LCD panels - but this comes at a cost. We can't say one company's panels are better than the others, since it depends on the specific panel they've installed in a particular model.

For instance, Dell has 2 models with 24" screens (3459 and 5459) that both come with IPS and two cheaper models with smaller 20" screens (3052 and 3059) that don't have IPS, which implies they use the cheaper TN screens.

Similarly, HP has models with PVA screens (W2U09AA), IPS screens (W2U83AA) and TN screens (W2U00AA).

HP's range of AIO's is here and Dell's here.

I've never had to use warranty on my HP computers, but once had to use warranty on a Dell monitor, and it was handled quickly and smoothly. I'd expect HP to offer a similar experience.
Old 3rd October 2016, 06:59   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
on site warranty of screens which one you would rate better amongst HP or Dell
In terms of warranty, Dell is better. It spends more on parts inventory for retail and chances are you will get parts next day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks