Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 12:03   #3241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Windows Image from HDD to SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have been using Acronis for long. I have tried macrium and aomei. I had no issue with Macrium but sometimes on recovery completion, even the BIOS could not load. Maybe something in my system.
You are right, BIOS not doing the POST and proceeding to loading the boot loader is an issue with the BIOS. If it misbehaves just reset to defaults and reconfigure the settings.

Quote:
However, it did not matter since Acronis has worked for me well since 2010-11. I still use Acronis 2016 as I find it much better, lower space, and less garbage than 2017-19 editions.
I was an Acronis user too and found it unreliable even during the best of times. Restores used to fail and if a backup software cannot perform one of its primary functions faultlessly it belongs to the garbage bin.

BTW Acronis in 2010-11 was WAY better than the even worse garbage they dish out now. In fact I believe it is this bloat that has compromised its reliability. In 2011-12 I purchased and then got a refund. Had purchased Shadowprotect, EASEUS (worse than Acronis), Paragon before settling on MR.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:08   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Windows Image from HDD to SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You are right, BIOS not doing the POST and proceeding to loading the boot loader is an issue with the BIOS. If it misbehaves just reset to defaults and reconfigure the settings.

I was an Acronis user too and found it unreliable even during the best of times. Restores used to fail and if a backup software cannot perform one of its primary functions faultlessly it belongs to the garbage bin.

BTW Acronis in 2010-11 was WAY better than the even worse garbage they dish out now. In fact I believe it is this bloat that has compromised its reliability. In 2011-12 I purchased and then got a refund. Had purchased Shadowprotect, EASEUS (worse than Acronis), Paragon before settling on MR.

Yes I had done BIOS reset with Macrium and it works. But it could also involve rewriting BIOS and that takes 10 mins. For me, Acronis 2016 has been doing it great and is much better than 2011-15 and 2017-19. Only problem is the lack of right click context menu. One has to open the software to load the backup and do recovery. I also have free versions of WD and Seagate but they are not so great.

I used Acronis WD 2010-11 till 2015, but sometime in 2015 when I upgraded from Samsung 840 Pro to 850 Pro, the 2011 version stopped recognising the disk. So I switched to 2016 and have been on that since. The right strategy should be to keep 2-3 backups in separate places. It can sometimes fail to recognise backups. But then the solution is Acronis boot CD.

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th March 2019 at 12:10.
Old 29th March 2019, 12:28   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

If you have invested a good packet on high end system and a great monitor (Eizo or failing that Dell Ultrasharp), you must invest 18-20000 on hardware calibration device. The monitor becomes much more better with pure white, brilliant color rendering, lesser eye strain. Hardware calibration is recommended for all monitors, but the better the monitor (Eizo, etc), more is the difference. If you do like apple type font rendering on windows (which has poor segoe fonts that look terrible on good displays), one can try Mactype too.
Old 6th June 2019, 10:05   #3244
Senior - BHPian

How good would this be for a computer setup?

https://www.amazon.in/FiiO-Balanced-...dp/B07KR3RF4H/

Using this to connect to a powered bookshelf would be a wise choice?
Old 17th June 2019, 19:54   #3245
BHPian

Friends, I want to buy a Monitor for extending the laptop display and sometime make it connect to my set top box as a tv . Is this kind of monitor available in market and secondly which one is a best buy ?
Old 17th June 2019, 21:03   #3246
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Friends, I want to buy a Monitor for extending the laptop display and sometime make it connect to my set top box as a tv . Is this kind of monitor available in market and secondly which one is a best buy ?
You'll get monitors with HDMI inputs. Your laptop will have either HDMI or VGA out - sometimes both.

Not sure how to deal with sound though. If set top box has VGA and RCA / co - ax out for sound, things will be easier.
Old 17th June 2019, 21:11   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Mind if I ask why not buy a TV instead? I have a 24" LG LCD TV which is currently used to extend as a monitor as needed via hdmi, Amazon firetv stick and set top box. Works flawlessly. Audio output is not a problem since it's a TV by birth
Old 18th June 2019, 11:20   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Mind if I ask why not buy a TV instead? I have a 24" LG LCD TV which is currently used to extend as a monitor as needed via hdmi, Amazon firetv stick and set top box. Works flawlessly. Audio output is not a problem since it's a TV by birth
Even I have an LG TV which can be used as a monitor. It has lots of inputs - HDMI, RGB etc.

This is their latest model
https://www.amazon.in/LG-24MN48A-24-.../dp/B016Q72FXK
Old 18th June 2019, 11:26   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Even I have an LG TV which can be used as a monitor. It has lots of inputs - HDMI, RGB etc.

This is their latest model
https://www.amazon.in/LG-24MN48A-24-.../dp/B016Q72FXK
Will confirm my TV model shortly. The major plus I continue using the TV instead of a monitor are better sound (better than laptop audio and don't want to clutter my table with speakers), a proper remote to switch anytime I want between media inputs instead of fiddling with the source button, inputs (USB if I still want to use it, HDMI, RGB etc.,)
Old 18th June 2019, 11:41   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
The biggest problem with cheap TVs as monitors is the undefeatable processing and lag that exists by default. The processing creates a blurred image compared to a normal desktop monitor. Using the sharpness controls on the TV causes aliasing in fonts. The extra processing time creates input lag in video games if you play any. A 60Hz monitor will have an input lag in 15-25ms range while a low end TV will probably have it in the 100ms range.

Higher end TVs allow both of these to be disabled and can be used as a monitor. The LG OLED TVs have input lag in the 20ms range. However in those cases, they will always be very bright and cause eye-strain in long term use.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 18th June 2019 at 11:43.
Old 18th June 2019, 16:28   #3251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The biggest problem with cheap TVs as monitors is the undefeatable processing and lag that exists by default. The processing creates a blurred image compared to a normal desktop monitor. Using the sharpness controls on the TV causes aliasing in fonts. The extra processing time creates input lag in video games if you play any. A 60Hz monitor will have an input lag in 15-25ms range while a low end TV will probably have it in the 100ms range.

Higher end TVs allow both of these to be disabled and can be used as a monitor. The LG OLED TVs have input lag in the 20ms range. However in those cases, they will always be very bright and cause eye-strain in long term use.
I am not aware of the technical details however, in my case we had a TV that was not being used, so it doubles up as a monitor when needed.
Secondly, I have faced these lags when connecting wireless however, when I connect with a HDMI, I have not (at least did not feel the lag). May be my usage is limited
Old 5th July 2019, 12:24   #3252
BHPian

Here's what I've ordered last week.

Processor: Intel i7 8th Gen 8700K
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 ACE (Wi-Fi)
Case + Fans: Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic TG Black + 6 x Noctua NF-F12
Monitor: ROG-STRIX-XG32VQ (1440p @ 144Hz Freesync)
RAM: HyperX Predator Series 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 3200MHz RGB
PSU: Seasonic SSR-850GD PRIME SERIES W/80+
GPU: MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
M2. NVMe (OS+Games): Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2
M2. NVMe (Data): Adata XPG SX6000 Lite 512GB M.2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2
Mouse: CERBERUS
Mouse Mat: Corsair MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB (360 Rad)
Speakers: Creative BlasterX Katana or a decent gaming headset (Not zeroed on it yet - Vitamin M constraints)

Didn't go for the i9 9900K due to the following reasons.
  • Not a good overclocker, needs a beefy or at least a custom watercooled system for all cores to hit 5GHz
  • Insane power draw
  • Marginal performance (10/15 fps) in games as compared to an overclocked i7 8700K @ 5GHz.

Just waiting for the components to arrive this weekend, once it's built; I shall put up the pictures.
Old 5th July 2019, 13:03   #3253
BHPian

I'm waiting for Ryzen 3000 series as they should be better than 9th gen Intel and finally upgrade from i7-4790k. Did upgrade to a MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio from GTX 970-SLI and upgraded the monitor to Predator XB271HU (1440p @165hz G-Sync) both of which were huge improvements. 4790k is just started to bottleneck a bit so new processor and mobo will improve that.

@inreverse i would have waited for new Ryzen cpus and with 2080 Super about to be launched would have saved money there too.
Old 9th July 2019, 14:14   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I'm waiting for Ryzen 3000 series as they should be better than 9th gen Intel and finally upgrade from i7-4790k. Did upgrade to a MSI 2080 Gaming X Trio from GTX 970-SLI and upgraded the monitor to Predator XB271HU (1440p @165hz G-Sync) both of which were huge improvements. 4790k is just started to bottleneck a bit so new processor and mobo will improve that.

@inreverse i would have waited for new Ryzen cpus and with 2080 Super about to be launched would have saved money there too.
That's quite an upgrade for your setup.

Yes. Ryzen Zen 2 architecture and the X570 chipsets have been doing the rounds. PCIE 4.0 and the devices that would be coming out will have their own USP. But, the current GPU's would still continue to use PCIE 3.0 and as expected PCIE gen 4 devices will have an extra cost added until there's a market for these devices. For now there are a plenty PCIE Gen 3 devices and the performance gains in gaming wouldn't matter @ 1440p. No matter how we balance it out... buying a Super 2080 and pairing with a Ryzen 5 3600.

I didn't find the need to future proof myself yet. Traditionally, I've found Intel platforms to have lesser compatibility issues with devices across vendors.

I'd skip the Zen2 and watch out for Zen2+ to stabilize and be ready for supported devices.
Old 9th July 2019, 16:38   #3255
Senior - BHPian

Been more than 5yrs since i upgraded my PC and now i am at a loss in identifying the right components.

I have always been a fan of AMD [good or bad i don't know] right from their Athlons to their FX series which i currently have now.

I was looking at the ryzen 5 2600 and a x470 mobo but couple of guys told me to get the ryzen 5 3600 and a x570 mobo. Please bear in mind i am not into heavy gaming. My graphics card is a noob nvidia gt1030.

Would the ryzen 3400g with it's apu perform better than the gt1030?

Help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks