Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 02:53   #3511
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Can you guys check and see if the below config is OK? I am not sure if the DDR4 can play nicely with the mobo or whether the nvme is supported in the mobo.

Attachment 2049014

Do you guys see any issues or any changes recommended?

One other sily question, the cpu should ship with the cpu heatsink right? Do I need to get any additional things to put this together in terms of tools / thermal paste / etc? This will be my first time putting together a pc from scratch.

Is there a motherboard, that supports nvme and Wifi, if so I would like to get that?

And another silly thing is, is there a case that can hinge on the side kinda like a door for easy access and cleaning?
If you don't plan on overclocking, you can make do with a cheaper motherboard. The savings can go towards a 2nd stick of RAM, which will help unlock dual-channel mode and give you a performance boost over a single stick. You can also find a better/cheaper SSD if you look for it.

I can see that you're going for a bit of a brand-match build, which I can appreciate. That case however looks like it has terrible airflow and I'd avoid it if I were you.

Answers to other questions:-
*The CPU should come with a cooler(Wraith stealth) that has thermal paste pre-applied.
*A standard Philips head screwdriver should be all you need.
*You should have nvme support on just about every modern motherboard.
*I would recommend just getting a Wifi dongle/add-on card rather than basing your motherboard choice on it.
*You do get hinge-door cases but Its not worth spending on something you will only use, at best, a couple of times a year.
Amien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 03:06   #3512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
IYou can also find a better/cheaper SSD if you look for it.

*I would recommend just getting a Wifi dongle/add-on card rather than basing your motherboard choice on it.

*You do get hinge-door cases but Its not worth spending on something you will only use, at best, a couple of times a year.
Okay, I will look for a cheaper nvme options then, not planning on a SSD / sata drives for the moment.

Are Wifi dongles reliable, if so, what should I go for? Can they be installed within the case, rather than using up a USB port?

Yeah, going for a cheaper motherboard does make sense, I liked AB350N gaming which had built wifi and bluetooth at a reasonable price but cant find that any more.
Old 29th August 2020, 03:32   #3513
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, I will look for a cheaper nvme options then, not planning on a SSD / sata drives for the moment.

Are Wifi dongles reliable, if so, what should I go for? Can they be installed within the case, rather than using up a USB port?

Yeah, going for a cheaper motherboard does make sense, I liked AB350N gaming which had built wifi and bluetooth at a reasonable price but cant find that any more.
The Crucial MX500 nvme SSD(nvme is just the interface, m.2 the form-factor) is a nice drive with a 5 year warranty.

Wifi dongle reliability is relative, depends on a lot of factors. An add in card will use a PCI slot on your motherboard instead of a USB port. Nothing beats a wired connection via ethernet port however.

The board you mentioned is a mini-ITX. Too small, too old and too expensive, with limited expansion. Avoid the B350 boards in general, either get a newer A320 or a cheaper B450 (or wait for the A420 if you can). Pick a board with an RGB header if that's something you want.

Here's the case I recommend instead:- https://mdcomputers.in/cooler-master...-kgnn-sr1.html

Last edited by Amien : 29th August 2020 at 03:45.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 06:58   #3514
BANNED

Quote:
The Crucial MX500 nvme SSD(nvme is just the interface, m.2 the form-factor) is a nice drive with a 5 year warranty.

Wifi dongle reliability is relative, depends on a lot of factors. An add in card will use a PCI slot on your motherboard instead of a USB port. Nothing beats a wired connection via ethernet port however.

The board you mentioned is a mini-ITX. Too small, too old and too expensive, with limited expansion. Avoid the B350 boards in general, either get a newer A320 or a cheaper B450 (or wait for the A420 if you can). Pick a board with an RGB header if that's something you want.

Here's the case I recommend instead:- https://mdcomputers.in/cooler-master...-kgnn-sr1.html
MX500 is great drive at its price but it is a SATA drive be its M2 variant or the 2.5 inch variant.

A520 boards are out now and decent if you are going to run upto 6 or 8 core processors. B550 is almost overbuilt and is the best option if you want quality components or plan on overclocking
Old 29th August 2020, 13:33   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are Wifi dongles reliable, if so, what should I go for? Can they be installed within the case,
Yes, you can use one like this : https://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WN8...dp/B084GT36WQ/ (costs 2.5k )

In future, you can swap the WiFi card in this adapter for a WiFi 6 card (say if you get a 300 mbps to 1 gbps fiber connection) . That would cost around 2k

Another option is to but a WiFI extender and use LAN port of extender to provide network to PC.

Something like this : https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WA8.../dp/B00EYW1U68 (costs 1.6k)
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 20:01   #3516

Quote:
Can you guys check and see if the below config is OK? I am not sure if the DDR4 can play nicely with the mobo or whether the nvme is supported in the mobo.

Attachment 2049014

Do you guys see any issues or any changes recommended?

One other sily question, the cpu should ship with the cpu heatsink right? Do I need to get any additional things to put this together in terms of tools / thermal paste / etc? This will be my first time putting together a pc from scratch.

Is there a motherboard, that supports nvme and Wifi, if so I would like to get that?

And another silly thing is, is there a case that can hinge on the side kinda like a door for easy access and cleaning?
Hi
Ryzen processors benefit deeply with more bandwidth of RAM i.e using 2 or more sticks of ram rather than a single stick will theoretically double the bandwidth and give you extra performance.
Try getting the highest speed memory for your build too.
Now this wont be making a 5-10% difference in performance but why leave performance on the table eh?

Now a good WiFi dongle plugs into your PCI slot and costs <3k (for really good ones) and motherboards with those kinds of features are advanced ones and meant for overclocking.
Since you arent planning to overclock I would suggest you grab one of those
Check this link out : https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Wirele...82&sr=8-1&th=1

Also your motherboard supports NVME drives, it has 2 M.2 SSD ports

Also I would strongly suggest using a stronger CPU like the Ryzen 5, since your GPU is stronger than your CPU and your PC may bottleneck.

The cleaning part, well
You have to clean it depending where you place it.
If you have pets like cats or dogs, you might need to clean it often
But for most users they clean it once in 6 months, otherwise cleaning of the fan filter is good enough.
Don't solely buy a case that has easy access side panel just because its easier to clean is what I'm saying
Cheers!
Hope we game together someday
AdityaH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 20:13   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
MX500 is great drive at its price but it is a SATA drive be its M2 variant or the 2.5 inch variant.

A520 boards are out now and decent if you are going to run upto 6 or 8 core processors. B550 is almost overbuilt and is the best option if you want quality components or plan on overclocking
Yeah just for clarification, the MX500 is indeed a SATA drive over the m.2 interface. The extra performance offered by nvme isn't relevant to this use-case and would show no difference in real-world performance. The Gigabyte nvme SSD mentioned above is barely faster than a SATA one anyway.

Can you share a link to some A520 board listings? Agreed on B550 being overkill for most.
Old 1st September 2020, 23:47   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Build for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Three things have become catalysts for upgraditis
  1. Flight simulator 2020
  2. Nvidia 3000 series cards
  3. Some ideas for Deep Learning
Since 3070 is going to retail for 500 USD, INR cost should be 60 - 66 with taxes Et el. Maybe availability around Jan.

Which AMD CPU is equivalent to i5-10500?

daydreaming these options at the moment:

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-rtx_3070_build.png

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 1st September 2020 at 23:49.
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:01   #3519

My suggestion will be to wait for some more time as the 4th gen Ryzen processors are going to come out.
They will have better'performance and the existing ones.
For now the Ryzen 5 3600x should be your choice
The 3600 and 3600x are the same chip, the only advantage of 3600x is that you get the good silicon cpu hence the premium.
It's better to overclock and generally provides better performance
Cheers!
AdityaH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 02:26   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Which AMD CPU is equivalent to i5-10500?
Don't even look at Intel's 10th gen i5 series unless going for the 10600K. All the rest are not worth the price premium. The 3600 is a great gaming CPU for the price.

I would replace two things in your build:
  1. The SSD: The controller on the Crucial P1 is known to overheat and throttle the speed - here's a review. I know someone who lives in Germany and is facing exactly this issue at a cooler climate than India. You're better off choosing something else
  2. The RAM: 3000Mhz is not a great specification for Zen 2 CPUs. Go for 3200Mhz lowest CAS latency you can afford within your budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaH View Post
My suggestion will be to wait for some more time as the 4th gen Ryzen processors are going to come out.
+1

Absolutely agree with this suggestion. It would be great to wait for the Zen 3 chips if you can, but the 3600 replacement will probably only come around mid next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaH View Post
For now the Ryzen 5 3600x should be your choice. The 3600 and 3600x are the same chip, the only advantage of 3600x is that you get the good silicon cpu hence the premium.
This I absolutely don't agree with, and the tech reviewers will also tell you otherwise. You shouldn't bother looking at the refreshed XT chips either - not worth the price.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 2nd September 2020 at 02:32.
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 00:21   #3521
BHPian

Big news for PC gamers! Microsoft DirectStorage is coming to PC

Excerpt from article:
Quote:
What exactly will DirectStorage do for my PC gaming experience and how?
There are two primary areas this new API is going to improve: reducing frustratingly long load times of the past and enabling games to be more detailed and expansive than ever.

Although seemingly different, both benefits stem from the same IO system advancements that DirectStorage brings. Whether it’s the textures of your characters clothing, or the details of the mountains off in the distance, both fundamentally involve the loading of data from a storage device which needs to eventually get to the GPU. The former just happens while on a loading screen whereas the latter happens as you walk through an open world game that loads in the distant scenery coming into view in real time while dumping things that drop out of view.

In either case, previous gen games had an asset streaming budget on the order of 50MB/s which even at smaller 64k block sizes (ie. one texture tile) amounts to only hundreds of IO requests per second. With multi-gigabyte a second capable NVMe drives, to take advantage of the full bandwidth, this quickly explodes to tens of thousands of IO requests a second. Taking the Series X’s 2.4GB/s capable drive and the same 64k block sizes as an example, that amounts to >35,000 IO requests per second to saturate it.

Existing APIs require the application to manage and handle each of these requests one at a time first by submitting the request, waiting for it to complete, and then handling its completion. The overhead of each request is not very large and wasn’t a choke point for older games running on slower hard drives, but multiplied tens of thousands of times per second, IO overhead can quickly become too expensive preventing games from being able to take advantage of the increased NVMe drive bandwidths.

On top of that, many of these assets are compressed. In order to be used by the CPU or GPU, they must first be decompressed. A game can pull as much data off the disk as it wants, but you still need an efficient way to decompress and get it to the GPU for rendering. By using DirectStorage, your games are able to leverage the best current and upcoming decompression technologies.

In a world where a game knows it needs to load and decompress thousands of blocks for the next frame, the one-at-a-time model results in loss of efficiency at various points in the data block’s journey. The DirectStorage API is architected in a way that takes all this into account and maximizes performance throughout the entire pipeline from NVMe drive all the way to the GPU.

It does this in several ways: by reducing per-request NVMe overhead, enabling batched many-at-a-time parallel IO requests which can be efficiently fed to the GPU, and giving games finer grain control over when they get notified of IO request completion instead of having to react to every tiny IO completion.

In this way, developers are given an extremely efficient way to submit/handle many orders of magnitude more IO requests than ever before ultimately minimizing the time you wait to get in game, and bringing you larger, more detailed virtual worlds that load in as fast as your game character can move through it.
More information in the article. Will hopefully arrive on PCs next year

Source

Cheers
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:19   #3522
BHPian

Re: Build for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Apart from seconding Joxter's post, I'd like to advise against the case choice for its restricted airflow.

Also want to note that Flight Simulator 2020's ideal specs. require 32GB of RAM. While you can always add more later, its relevant to note in case your motherboard choice has only 2 DIMM slots.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:05   #3523
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of Airflow, i got the Antec NX800. It's a lovely looking beast with two 200mm turbines in front

Just wish they had space for 200mm fans on the top as well instead of the 140mm.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:30   #3524
Senior - BHPian

Re: Build for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Quote:
Apart from seconding Joxter's post, I'd like to advise against the case choice for its restricted airflow.
Can you recommend couple of cases with better airflow ?

Quote:
Also want to note that Flight Simulator 2020's ideal specs. require 32GB of RAM.
Yes, config accounts for 2 DIMMs of 16 GB Each.
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:38   #3525
BHPian

The new Nvidia Ampere gpus seem to have make everything obsolete. Already have the itch to get the 3080 upgrade from my 2080. As a reference the 3070 at $500 should be faster than 2080TI and $700 3080 much faster and perfect for 4k gaming which 2080TI (@$1000) struggled sometimes.

Most Viewed