Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Please pick your favourite *offline* maps+navigation app (no more than 3 please).
GPS Navigation & Maps Sygic 59 22.18%
Here Maps/Drive by Nokia 136 51.13%
Google Maps 107 40.23%
Navmii GPS World (Navfree) 8 3.01%
MapFactor 1 0.38%
OsmAnd Maps & Navigation 6 2.26%
NaviMaps: GPS Navigation by MapMyIndia 40 15.04%
Offline maps & Navigation by Navigation. 1 0.38%
Oruxmaps 1 0.38%
Androzic 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 23:54   #31
BHPian

Re: The best *offline* maps + navigation app

Been using HERE Maps & Drive since I got a Lumia phone two years ago. Works like a charm. Never threw me on a wrong street! I have used it extensively in Maharashtra, Goa, Delhi and Dubai. Downloaded the maps for Dubai before leaving and done, all set.
So my vote to HERE.
Old 1st May 2015, 08:40   #32
BHPian

Hey Partha, thanks for the initiative. I am sure these readily available information would help many. When it comes to locating places I can rely on google maps but you need to have a data connection and that is a big challenge considering the availability of data connection coverage everywhere. Though I am still a novice in these areas, I heavily relied on sygic maps on my android phone during my sikkim trip last year and it did a decent job. I agree that the POIs are not that comprehensive but still I would rate it 3.8 out of 5. Gave accurate reading in most of the places. But going through the thread, I am surely to try Heremaps very soon.
Old 1st May 2015, 09:21   #33
BHPian

Have been using Here Maps since the past 2 years or so. It has helped me immensely in reaching places in Mumbai. It certainly knows its way around and suggests a route based on the settings you make. Have used Here maps and Google maps simultaneously and google map couldn't even search some locations. My vote certainly goes to Here Maps.
Old 1st May 2015, 15:46   #34
MDe
BHPian

Though I have used Google Maps quite a lot and it is good. But as many pointed out, the offline capability is pretty limited here. But on the other hand, I dont want to spend all my data on maps even when I am in the city and can be online. Navmii Free maps have worked for me in city and on highways. Works absolutely fine with GPS connectivity and gives good directions. Absolutely free and completely offline. The only issue that I see with the updated software is on the stability of software. I have noticed some crashes recently. Otherwise this is a good free and offline solution
Old 1st May 2015, 18:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I am pleasantly surprised by the poll. I have a Lumia 720 and used Here Maps quite a lot when I got the phone. But I found it to be not that accurate here in Kerala! So much so that, I stopped using it more than a year back.

Saw this thread and I am very confused. Don't know if its my phone, my settings or the maps for KL! Went to Store and there was a 35mb update for the Kerala map. Going to try it again, will post my findings.
Old 1st May 2015, 18:42   #36
BHPian

I have voted for Navimaps which I have installed on my three year old Xperia Neo V. This one runs very smooth, has suggested good detours on few occasions when there were diversions. I have purchased the south India maps.
Old 2nd May 2015, 00:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

using Nokia HERE Maps on my Xperia Z2 and Lumia 1020 and delighted to use the same.
my biggest grouse with Garmin that came with the Xperia was it being slow and laggy at times. HERE has fixed that and is now my only GPS device.
Old 2nd May 2015, 09:25   #38
BHPian

I'm using Nokia HERE Map on my Android phone & it has improved a lot in last few updates. In fact its only application on my old Samsung Galaxy which I use as dedicated GPS device.
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:20   #39
BHPian

I vote for HERE+ maps. Used in Singapore and couple of EU nations. Excellent. No internet connection needed. Used on Lumia extensively. Works well for driving and walking. Probably a phone feature, the GPS doesn't drain battery as badly as on many Android phones.

Drawbacks- finding alternate routes isn't very easy. will have to split the journey and find alliterative routes.

Both Google and HERE+ are capable of showing you routes where cars can't go, though this might be specific for India due to road encroachment. And Google has taken me on one-ways in the opposite direction. So need to be careful with both.
Old 3rd May 2015, 13:44   #40
BHPian

I voted for HERE maps for its offline capabilities. While planning a trip, I always search for important places to visit, hotels, sometimes restaurants as well and collect them in advance in my collection. Have tested them in South as well as North India.

Google maps is awesome while searching in realtime and it presents more relevant results. Google maps is also seem more detailed in terms of area coverage than Here maps.

While driving, if I have to navigate to a new place: I use my Moto X 2nd gen which helps in accepting the voice commands for navigation with Google Maps. This has been an awesome use of GM.
Old 4th May 2015, 09:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Google maps works the best for me.
Same here. I love Google Maps since it's constantly being updated. I only have one problem. I use an iphone 5 and sometimes the voice guidance does'nt work. Kind of erratic. Appreciate any ideas / solutions.
Old 4th May 2015, 10:42   #42
BHPian

Here Maps all the way

Ever since I started using Here Maps on my Lumia, I've fallen in love with it. Some tips on making it work really well for you.

1. As part of planning any road trip always download the latest updates, no matter how recent your last update is

2. When you are online (before you start), search for the exact points of interest. Even if they are not available on the offline maps, the online search will bring them up. Tag these to favorites for offline use later

3. If you are planning for a long road trip, you can research and add points of interest in advance (ref. point 2 above) and add them into a collection. Will be very convenient while searching later

Needless to say, little advance planning will help a lot

Last edited by gvivek75 : 4th May 2015 at 10:43. Reason: Added content
Old 4th May 2015, 11:21   #43
BHPian

Wow, it's such a co-incidence.
I just happened to post a query on xda-developers' HTC One E8 dual SIM's page about this weird problem that I have with the HERE maps running on this phone running Android 4.4.2. It keeps crashing frequently.

Here's my query:
Quote:
Fellas,
I'd installed the HERE maps during last month for a couple of Coastal line drives in South-India to make the best use of its offline navigation.
To my surprise, the HERE maps kept crashing after every 10-15 kms of drive.
Nothing much I could do about it, ergo switched over to the good old Google Navigation.

This is how I tried to install + use it:
  1. Install the HERE maps app from the Play Store.
  2. Set memory as SD-Card in settings.
  3. Download Karnataka+Goa map data so that it resides on the SD-Card selected in Step-2.
  4. Start driving by setting a destination being online/offline, the map crashes.
  5. Uninstall the app and reinstall again.
  6. Leave the memory to Phone's internal memory.
  7. Repeat step 3, and the app crashes again.

Mine is a non-rooted HTC One E8 Dual Sim powered with a Reliance CDMA service.
Did any of you observe this on your device yet?

Would appreciate if your could please share a fix if available.

PS: I've also tried setting the traffic to off, but it wasn't of any use.

Thanks,
Vinay
Did any of you face this issue?

Link to xda-developers thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/one-...l-sim-t3099776

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2015, 14:23   #44
BHPian

There used to be an app on the Google Play Store called "Sygic Map My India" which, I would rate as the best navigation software. This was free and could be used offline, but unfortunately, isn't available anymore. I've used Here maps on my Android phone in a trip two days ago, and feel betrayed by the fact that it totally missed out on some alternatives, which were shown by Google Maps.
Old 4th May 2015, 22:11   #45
BHPian

I voted for Here Maps, as it is the only offline map I use and will ever use. It can even give out navigational instructions in Tamil, and very sensibly even. They should improve on their POIs, especially outside big cities like Chennai.

It really helped using Here Maps during this past long weekend trip to Yercaud.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks