Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Please pick your favourite *offline* maps+navigation app (no more than 3 please).
GPS Navigation & Maps Sygic 59 22.18%
Here Maps/Drive by Nokia 136 51.13%
Google Maps 107 40.23%
Navmii GPS World (Navfree) 8 3.01%
MapFactor 1 0.38%
OsmAnd Maps & Navigation 6 2.26%
NaviMaps: GPS Navigation by MapMyIndia 40 15.04%
Offline maps & Navigation by Navigation. 1 0.38%
Oruxmaps 1 0.38%
Androzic 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 09:25   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The best *offline* maps + navigation app

Voted for Here Drive too. Have been using it right from the days of Nokia Drive and I should bow down to them for giving this piece of beauty at no cost. Another thing to appreciate is that they have been constantly updating the points of interest and I haven't been misguided by it both in Urban and Non Urban areas.

It's fast, the UI is very simplistic and optimized for in vehicle use and the voice guidance is also perfectly timed.
Old 5th May 2015, 10:01   #47
BHPian

I love navigate 6 for the augmented reality feature, just takes away the pain of having a dashcam. How I wish they had an option to support wifi/webcams
Old 5th May 2015, 10:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
Wow, it's such a co-incidence.
I just happened to post a query on xda-developers' HTC One E8 dual SIM's page about this weird problem that I have with the HERE maps running on this phone running Android 4.4.2. It keeps crashing frequently.

Did any of you face this issue?

Thanks!
Hi vishnu-man, I have gone through all the posts in this thread and none else seems to have similar problems with Here maps. Therefore, I would suggest that you get in touch with HTC service centre while your phone is still under warranty. The problem could be possibly because of any of the following three reasons.
  1. Faulty I/O driver
  2. Faulty I/O harware
  3. Faulty GPS device

I am more inclined on the first two reasons, since Google Maps works fine on your phone indicating a healthy GPS hardware.
Old 5th May 2015, 11:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Hi vishnu-man, I have gone through all the posts in this thread and none else seems to have similar problems with Here maps. Therefore, I would suggest that you get in touch with HTC service centre while your phone is still under warranty. The problem could be possibly because of any of the following three reasons.
  1. Faulty I/O driver
  2. Faulty I/O harware
  3. Faulty GPS device

I am more inclined on the first two reasons, since Google Maps works fine on your phone indicating a healthy GPS hardware.
Thank you for your analysis sir!
I'll head in the direction you pointed and see how it works.
Moreover there's not been much OTA update for this device lately.
The Lollipop update should be out in sometime.
Let me run a check with HTC.

Thanks again! Have a good one!
Old 5th May 2015, 11:19   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
Thank you for your analysis sir!
I'll head in the direction you pointed and see how it works.
Moreover there's not been much OTA update for this device lately.
The Lollipop update should be out in sometime.
Let me run a check with HTC.

Thanks again! Have a good one!
I hope HTC provides you an useful solution. In the past I used HTC HD2 and HTC Radar 4G and now my wife is using HTC Desire 526. All I can say about HTC after my experience with them is that they make wonderful devices. Therefore, I am hoping for the best for you.
Old 5th May 2015, 11:27   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
I hope HTC provides you an useful solution. In the past I used HTC HD2 and HTC Radar 4G and now my wife is using HTC Desire 526. All I can say about HTC after my experience with them is that they make wonderful devices. Therefore, I am hoping for the best for you.
Another satisfied HTC person you are!
That's the same experience with me too.
Yeah I really hope they help me out as I wanna make the best out of the HERE's offline navigation capabilities on my E8.

Thanks for the concern!
Old 5th May 2015, 11:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Google Maps in the city and MMI Dont Panic iOS app since some time . This weekend , while driving through some jungle roads , I realised Google Maps was working even without any mobile network for close to 55 kms .
Old 5th May 2015, 14:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have been using Google Maps in the city and MMI Dont Panic iOS app since some time . This weekend , while driving through some jungle roads , I realised Google Maps was working even without any mobile network for close to 55 kms .
That is correct! Google map caches the entire route when you start navigation. But the risky part is if you have to take a detour or restart the app, then you are in soup
Old 5th May 2015, 20:37   #54
BHPian

Have been using Sygic premium for about 2 years now, and what was a brilliant user friendly app has been watered down to "freemium" stuff that is average at best, and downright unusable at worst. Features like POIs do not work often (the navigation menu has changed and a very effective UI has been discarded for one that better looking but difficult to use), and features that were already paid for have now been segregated from the main app and one has to pay for them separately e.g. 3d view, speed camera, HUD etc

So sadly have had to move away from Sygic MMI to Here. Here has a lot of room for improvement but it does the basics well. It needs frequent updates though. Used navimaps briefly, so cannot really comment

All things considered, Here for offline and Google maps for online are where my votes go to
Old 5th May 2015, 21:53   #55
BHPian

I have been using Google Maps Navigation for last four years. It has been a mixed experience so far. On numerous occasions, GMaps has forced me to seek truly "offline guidance" from friendly tea-shop owner .

I tried HERE Maps in February this year and I am hooked! I have already driven more than 1500 kms using it and I am not looking back to GMaps. I did upgrade my SD Card to 16 gb. This has also allowed me to increase allotted space for "DailyRoads Voyager" app. Together with these two apps my phone has actually become "triple play" device: Offline GPS Navigator+Car DVR+Communication device!
Old 5th May 2015, 22:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I did upgrade my SD Card to 16 gb. This has also allowed me to increase allotted space for "DailyRoads Voyager" app. Together with these two apps my phone has actually become "triple play" device: Offline GPS Navigator+Car DVR+Communication device!
Could you please elaborate a bit further on the above quoted.
Is your phone being used as a navigator and a dash cam at the same time?
Really interested in knowing the details.
Old 5th May 2015, 23:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit further on the above quoted.
Is your phone being used as a navigator and a dash cam at the same time?
Really interested in knowing the details.
Yes!

The app like "DailyRoads Voyager" (there are other apps but I like this one as it allows to fine tune many settings according to phone's capacity) records video/audio in background. This particular app also comes with overlay buttons so that you can start/stop recording without leaving GPS navigator screen that runs in foreground.

Here is a video that I took using my phone with 5MP camera while it was running navigator in foreground. YouTube did a bit of image stabilization after uploading.

Cheers,
Golam
Old 5th May 2015, 23:10   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post

Here is a video that I took using my phone with 5MP camera while it was running navigator in foreground. YouTube did a bit of image stabilization after uploading.

Cheers,
Golam
Can you let us know which mobile holder you are using? The video looks very stable. Earlier even I was using my mobile as dashcam. I was using Autoguard Blackbox app. The mobile used to vibrate a lot so now shifted to dedicated dashcam.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th May 2015 at 23:32. Reason: Removed video link, also please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 07:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Can you let us know which mobile holder you are using? The video looks very stable.
I am currently using the following mobile mount from amazon.in

http://www.amazon.in/Mobile-Holder-B...dp/B00MCSUMLA/

Best,
Old 6th May 2015, 14:44   #60
BHPian

There's also Garmin (for Android) on the ASUS Zenfone. Can anyone comment on this vis-à-vis a Garmin device? Does the Android version use the same POI database as a Garmin device?

Most Viewed