Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 18:29   #181
ald

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

This is mine. 4th year running now. Garmin Forerunner 610 with HRM (not in pic)
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-garmin610.jpg
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:54   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ald View Post
This is mine. 4th year running now. Garmin Forerunner 610 with HRM (not in pic)
Attachment 1744737
What's your feedback? Does that display heartbeat rate? Pedometer?
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:10   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, I am looking for a simple rugged watch to measure steps & calories and provide data on daily, weekly monthly count. I assume the data analysis comes via the app. If it can measure swimming strokes that would be perfect - my daily exercise is a swim rather than a walk. Any suggestions?
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:44   #184
Senior - BHPian

If you have an iPhone, latest Apple watch should fit all criteria (except being rugged).

If can show all sort of summaries for day, month etc. I use it for swimming as well as steps + bicycle runs. Does a pretty good job with these.

https://theapplewatchtriathlete.com/...he-workout-app

Quote:
The summary is good though - showing accurate data for the stroke recognition. Note that I have always had good recognition with this from Garmin watches too - it relies on a strong push from the wall and not changing your stroke in a length, but good to see Apple Watch have success with this.
Quote:
Yes! Apple Watch records your heart rate during a pool swim using the built-in optical sensor. This is something Garmin and others have shied away from because of accuracy issues, and instead offer heart rate straps that record your HR then transfer them to the watch once you are out of the water.
Old 24th March 2018, 13:40   #185
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Amazfit watch?
It offers 45day battery life and quite a lot of good features.

Link for reference:
https://www.amazon.in/Amazfit-Youth-...3-68372937d6e0
Old 24th March 2018, 16:13   #186
ald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What's your feedback? Does that display heartbeat rate? Pedometer?
Yes it does display heartbeat. It uses a chest strap for accurate measurement. I have used the TomTom wrist based heart rate monitor and found it not accurate enough. I don't use a pedometer but a footpod can be attached, which is a device that straps to your shoelaces.
Old 24th March 2018, 19:46   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you have an iPhone, latest Apple watch should fit all criteria (except being rugged).
I agree that an Apple watch mostly fits the bill.

Quote:
Yes! Apple Watch records your heart rate during a pool swim using the built-in optical sensor. This is something Garmin and others have shied away from because of accuracy issues, and instead offer heart rate straps that record your HR then transfer them to the watch once you are out of the water.
Not sure on the previous point. But the Fenix 5 series is a triathlon product I thought?
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/552982

Though it's as pricey as the Apple watch (if not more!)

PS: (OT) Its been quite some time since we interacted. The last I guess was about maps being ported to Garmin Mapsource! I am still using them!

Last edited by ampere : 24th March 2018 at 19:47.
Old 25th March 2018, 07:45   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Gentlemen, I am looking for a simple rugged watch to measure steps & calories and provide data on daily, weekly monthly count. I assume the data analysis comes via the app. If it can measure swimming strokes that would be perfect - my daily exercise is a swim rather than a walk. Any suggestions?
You should check out the Huawei Band 2, which I posted about, in case you don't wish to spend that much and desire a 3 week battery life. Ideally you should pick up the Apple Watch unless you hate charging daily!

What are my gripes with it (none pertinent to you!):
a. It needs a very specific near-vertical angle for turning on the display. Hard to see time when carrying things.
b. Bluetooth connectivity IS spotty with the Health App. Hence I don't get notifications constantly. Its much better with the Wear app, but that doesn't display your health data, so you're stuck with the health app. You don't see data real-time but every 2-3 hours it will sync automatically.
c. It doesn't record daytime sleep :|
d. Alarms are not that good since its vibration is much less than my previous Jawbone UP4. Further, I would occasionally set alarms for a Monday morning flight on the UP4, and disable it later. But on this Band 2, because bluetooth simply won't connect on demand, I had to live with 3am alarms till Wednesday

BUT - it is waterproof, and has a swim mode. It logs pedometer and heart data just fine. I've bathed with it since day 1, so I can tell you that its stood up to cold and hot water just fine - so far, at least

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by phamilyman : 25th March 2018 at 07:47.
Old 25th March 2018, 09:00   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You should check out the Huawei Band 2, which I posted about, in case you don't wish to spend that much and desire a 3 week battery life. Ideally you should pick up the Apple Watch unless you hate charging daily!

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you phamilyman. Very useful. I assume the criticism is for the Apple device.
Old 25th March 2018, 12:43   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you phamilyman. Very useful. I assume the criticism is for the Apple device.
Sorry - my criticism was directed towards the Huawei Band 2.

I didn't buy the Apple device simply because of the way-too-frequent charging required. 18h battery life meant that I could've not measured my sleep statistics.
Old 25th March 2018, 12:57   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - my criticism was directed towards the Huawei Band 2.

I didn't buy the Apple device simply because of the way-too-frequent charging required. 18h battery life meant that I could've not measured my sleep statistics.
Thank you phamilyman. Armed with this I am going to tell my kids to do some research and present one to me.
Old 25th March 2018, 20:20   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With current version, battery lasts 1 day - 2 day (With sleep+ HR tracking and ~1 hour of bicycle).
Old 26th March 2018, 09:52   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Do consider getting the Fitbit Versa which is launching next month. I have been using a Fitbit Blaze for ~ 2 years and I highly recommend picking up a Fitbit. The Versa is the successor to the Blaze and is going to be waterproof and will be able to track swim strokes apart from steps, calories, stairs climbed, sleep tracker, heart rate etc etc.

Last edited by promit : 26th March 2018 at 09:53.
Old 26th March 2018, 10:04   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Do consider getting the Fitbit Versa which is launching next month. I have been using a Fitbit Blaze for ~ 2 years and I highly recommend picking up a Fitbit. The Versa is the successor to the Blaze and is going to be waterproof and will be able to track swim strokes apart from steps, calories, stairs climbed, sleep tracker, heart rate etc etc.
Thank you Promit. I will check it out.
Old 26th March 2018, 10:48   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have the Fitbit Charge 2 HR; it has a bunch of activities it can "track" (running/treadmill/yoga/cycling/elliptical) in addition to steps and floors climbed. Sync it to a phone while running/cycling and it will even tell you the route on your phone. And it monitors your hear-rate.

My wife uses the Fitbit Flex 2 which can be used in water; she tried it a few times when she was out swimming and it worked well.

Most Viewed