Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2018, 16:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you phamilyman. Armed with this I am going to tell my kids to do some research and present one to me.
More update.

Firstly my criticism of the band's sync was unwarranted. Turns out that it's an Android bug. You need to switch on Bluetooth and location for these devices to sync. Now it works perfectly.

The software is still unintuitive and I can't figure it how to use it beyond the daily sleep tracking.

But it works.

Swimming: I'll let you know once my apartment pool opens up. It has a swimming function but apparently fancy trackers have a SWOLF algorithm for more accurate tracking, etc. Most trackers don't talk much about it. Whatever your kids research and suggest, I'll pick up for my wife as well , so keep us posted
Old 1st April 2018, 09:36   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
More update.
Many thanks. I'll keep this extra info in mind
Old 10th April 2018, 16:23   #198
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Has anyone tried the Amazfit watch?
It offers 45day battery life and quite a lot of good features.
Just got my hands on Amazfit Bip. For ₹ 4,000 this one looks like a good deal. Will post a detailed review after a week. I want to test the battery life and stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-b83ba269692b4424a6578f73995a7677.jpeg  

Old 10th April 2018, 16:26   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Just got my hands on Amazfit Bip. For ₹ 4,000 this one looks like a good deal. Will post a detailed review after a week. I want to test the battery life and stuff.
Where did you get this from?
Old 10th April 2018, 17:12   #200
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Where did you get this from?
Hi vid6639,
I bought this from Ali Express. The store is Amazfit Official Store. Delivery was also fast, 3 weeks. I didn’t encounter any customs charges also.

Regards,
The Rationalist
Old 10th April 2018, 23:51   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi vid6639,
I bought this from Ali Express. The store is Amazfit Official Store. Delivery was also fast, 3 weeks. I didn’t encounter any customs charges also.

Regards,
The Rationalist
How is the vibration strength of the watch? I have a severe hearing loss and have been using a Sony smartwatch that vibrates to notify of an incoming call. Recently, I changed to iPhone SE, and the Sony watch does not work with iPhone. I use a FitBit Charge 2 as a regular activity tracker, but the vibration strength of this watch is very poor and it vibrates just once on call, that I miss calls most of the times. The Bluetooth connectivity is very flaky as well.

Now looking for a watch that works with iPhone. Following are the only things that I care about:

1. Reliable bluetooth connectivity
2. Strong vibration strength
3. Decent battery life
4. Works with iOS
5. Does not cost a bomb

Looking forward to your feedback on this.
Old 11th April 2018, 01:34   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen, I am looking for a simple rugged watch to measure steps & calories and provide data on daily, weekly monthly count. I assume the data analysis comes via the app. If it can measure swimming strokes that would be perfect - my daily exercise is a swim rather than a walk. Any suggestions?
Hello V.Narayan,

Could you check out Garmin Forerunner 935?

I am using one for the past couple of months and its capable of tracking running, cycling, swimming, yoga and even golf.

I have used it only for running though.
Regards,
Pinin
Old 11th April 2018, 08:58   #203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
How is the vibration strength of the watch?
3. Decent battery life
4. Works with iOS
5. Does not cost a bomb

Looking forward to your feedback on this.
Dear graaja,

1. You can’t answer calls through Amazfit Bip, you can decline or ignore the call. I don’t get the Bluetooth reliability part of your question properly.

2. Vibration is too much for my liking, its kind of getting a mild shock. I’m a thinly built person and is sensitive to static currents, don’t know if the vibration of Amazfit Bip is annoying for me only!

3. Have been using for only 20 hours, the battery status is still 100%. As per another user if not using continuous heart rate monitoring the watch works for 3-4 weeks on a single charge. Poor battery life and the insane cost were the reasons I never tried a Smart watch till now. I couldn’t stand another gadget that needs frequent charging , the mayhem of phones and tablets vying for charging ports is more than enough!

4. Works with iOS.

The good part is that the display is not always on, but its clear enough to read even in display off mode! Please see attached picture and the previous picture posted earlier with display on mode.

Regards,
The Rationalist
Attached Thumbnails
The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-ae7a32b358334661bbfa1220127f7639.jpeg  

Last edited by The Rationalist : 11th April 2018 at 08:59.
Old 11th April 2018, 10:32   #204
BHPian

Quote:

3. Decent battery life
4. Works with iOS
5. Does not cost a bomb
I have been using the Amazfit for about 2 weeks now. Aliexpress took little over 4 weeks to deliver, and costed about 70$.

Btw, I have a iPhone SE as well.

1. Bluetooth connectivity is good. Out of all these days, I *once* faced an issue with the synch. It was not connecting to the watch. I had just given bath to my son with the watch on and I am not sure if the splashes of water were the culprit. I tried again after 10 mins and it worked fine. But otherwise, I have never missed a notification from the phone on the watch.

2. The vibration is quite strong. For a call, they have a feature to delay the vibrations on the watch. I generally pick up the call even before the watch vibrates. But I can check and get back if you are interested in knowing if there are multiple vibrations when there is a call.

3. Battery life is pretty good. That seems to be the USP of this device.

4. Works with iOS. Haven't come across any issues.

5. Costs about 70$.

Overall I liked the watch.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:28   #205
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot for the detailed responses The Rationalist and shifu. I got a pretty good idea of the watch, and I think it perfectly fits my requirement. Also, as I have my fitbit to track heart rate, I will keep heart rate tracking off in this watch. That should give a very good battery life.

Quote:
Dear graaja,

1. You can’t answer calls through Amazfit Bip, you can decline or ignore the call. I don’t get the Bluetooth reliability part of your question properly.

2. Vibration is too much for my liking, its kind of getting a mild shock. I’m a thinly built person and is sensitive to static currents, don’t know if the vibration of Amazfit Bip is annoying for me only!
Got it. I am fine with just being able to decline the call on the watch (my Sony watch also works the same way). What I meant by bluetooth reliability is that the watch does not miss any notifications on incoming calls. Thanks for confirming that the vibration strength is good enough. Usually when I travel and have to set alarms, I rely on the vibration of the watch to wake me up as I don't hear the audio of the alarms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I have been using the Amazfit for about 2 weeks now...

Btw, I have a iPhone SE as well...

1. Bluetooth connectivity is good. Out of all these days, I *once* faced an issue with the synch...

2. The vibration is quite strong. For a call, they have a feature to delay the vibrations on the watch. I generally pick up the call even before the watch vibrates. But I can check and get back
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I need a few more inputs.

1. Can we disable this delay so that the watch starts vibrating immediately as a call arrives? And does the watch keep vibrating intermittently till the call is picked or declined?
2. How does the watch behave when the connection to the phone is lost? For example, if you leave the phone and go to another room the connection would be lost. When you get back closer to the phone does the watch automatically connect to the phone?
3. Is it possible to set the alarm time locally on the watch itself or does it require to be set on the phone App and synced?

Once again thank you for all the inputs

Last edited by graaja : 11th April 2018 at 11:29.
Old 11th April 2018, 12:48   #206
BANNED

Quote:
1. Can we disable this delay so that the watch starts vibrating immediately as a call arrives? And does the watch keep vibrating intermittently till the call is picked or declined?
2.When you get back closer to the phone does the watch automatically connect to the phone?
3. Is it possible to set the alarm time locally on the watch itself or does it require to be set on the phone App and synced?
Hi graaja,

1. We can disable this delay and watch starts vibrating immediately. I keep phone in silent mode, so patients don’t get irritated ! I just glance at the watch and if not an important one, I just ignore.
2. Yep, it connects automatically
3. No. You need to set it on app.

Regards,
The Rationalist.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 11th April 2018 at 12:52.
Old 11th April 2018, 13:57   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi graaja,

1. We can disable this delay and watch starts vibrating immediately. I keep phone in silent mode, so patients don’t get irritated ! I just glance at the watch and if not an important one, I just ignore.
2. Yep, it connects automatically
3. No. You need to set it on app.

Regards,
The Rationalist.
Thanks a lot. That answers all my questions. I will go ahead and buy this watch. Will update my experience once I get it.
Old 11th April 2018, 15:15   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinin View Post
Hello V.Narayan,

Could you check out Garmin Forerunner 935?

I am using one for the past couple of months and its capable of tracking running, cycling, swimming, yoga and even golf.

I have used it only for running though.
Regards,
Pinin
Thanks Pinin. Info passed onto my kids whose job it is to present one to their Papa.
Old 11th April 2018, 20:18   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Pinin. Info passed onto my kids whose job it is to present one to their Papa.
Here have look at the Garmin line under the wearables section: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/

- If you want a runner's watch only : Forerunner series is the one.
- Fenix 5 series is the premium multisport runner's watches and are also a good stylish watches
- Vivo series is the basic fitness tracker like bands. But of late Vivoactive 3 has some substance of both the fenix 5 and also the multisport capabilities of forerunner at somewhat in between price point. Though its higher than the rest of the vivo product line.

Hope that helps.
Old 11th April 2018, 20:51   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here have look at the Garmin line under the wearables section: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/
Hope that helps.
Many thanks Ampere for taking the trouble

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks