Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:36   #286
BHPian

Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

I bought two MI-HRX together. One for me and the other for my dad. Mine is ok after almost 1 year, but my dad's one went kaput. Must appreciate MI service they replaced the capsule at once without asking a single question. They just checked the warranty period, that's it.
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:55   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Been using the Mi Band 3 close to a year now
Amazfit Verge: OK, if you haven’t guessed it by now, this is the watch I bought. For the price point 12k, it comes loaded with features and the amazing battery life I was looking for. It comes with an AMOLED display and has watch faces that I really liked. The reviews have been positive and hopefully should serve my purpose. The watch is getting delivered today as I type and I can share a few pictures or details if anyone’s interested.
Hey swiftdiesel,

I am in the same boat as you were but have to decide between the following:

1) Band V/S Smart Watch: This will be my first wearable device and hence I am bit confused here. Though the Band will serve the purpose for now but I am worried that soon I will get bored and would want to upgrade. Kind of what you face with cars - You are comfortable with a hatchback given your needs but soon you may want to upgrade to a SUV or Sedan

Your advice might help me here

2) If it should be a Band: I have two options - Fitbit Charge 3 and Honor Band 3 Pro to make a decision.

3) If it should be a watch: I have to choose between - Amazefit Verge, Fitbit Versa and Fossil Sport

Since you have upgraded from a band to a watch and have weighted multiple options, can you please share your thoughts on this?

How is your experience with the Amazfit Verge coming? Among my watch list options, Verge seems to be the best VFM and Versa appears to be very overpriced currently.

But I like the reviews of Sport as well. Wouldn't mind paying for it but I am not sure if this will be the best pick in that price range.

Last edited by sunilch : 3rd May 2019 at 12:56.
Old 3rd May 2019, 22:22   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I am in the same boat as you were but have to decide between the following:
Glad to hear you’re considering a smartwatch. Good decision! I’ll try and answer each of your questions.

1. I’d say go for a smartwatch. It’ll keep you happy for longer. When I bought the Mi band, I thought that was it; but like you mentioned, we always want bigger and better. So, yeah, consider a smartwatch - you won’t regret it.

2. Answered above.

3. Don’t know what your priorities are. Mine was great battery life followed by other features.

Amazfit Verge delivers on battery life if you turn off constant heart rate monitoring and AOD. I charged on May 1 evening and with normal usage I still have 78% left on 3 May, Friday night. I’m sure it can get through the weekend. Also, I can control my audio and podcasts from the watch without getting my phone out. I can make and answer calls from the watch without getting my phone outta my pocket. These features are great when you’re out on a jog or walk. There are not many decent watch faces although you might find many online. I was led to believe that OLED screens are hard to read in direct sunlight but that’s absolute rubbish. My screen is crystal clear under direct sunlight. The tracking also is pretty accurate. I climb 4 floors to get to my office and it accurately records 4 floors! The watch is constantly monitoring my activity and if my heart rate goes up because I walk or jog, it asks me whether I want it to go into tracking mode. I’m still getting used to the watch but so far it has me impressed. It is slightly heavier on the wrist but I got used to that. Few things I wish it had by default: message notification icon on watch face with number of unread messages and wish the date was not in US format. That said I think the Verge is good value for money.

Considering alternatives, I’d highly recommend the Huawei GT Sport if you can slightly stretch your budget. The watch is more sleeker and it’s metal unlike the Verge which has a polycarbonate body. Also with the GT you can go swimming which is not recommended with the Verge. The Verge gives you some onboard storage to store and play music. This feature didn’t excite me one bit as it doesn’t serve my use case. The GT also has longer battery life due to higher mAh capacity. There are lot of posts on Amazon about connectivity issues with the GT although I can’t verify it. For me, the Amazfit made the cut with its pricing and battery life.

I don’t have much idea about Fossil Sport since I didn’t shortlist it. Wear OS from Google is not optimised properly for battery life and there are numerous complaints about it. Ticwatch is another great Wear OS watch I considered but rejected due to abysmal battery life. I wouldn’t recommend the FitBit Versa - as you rightly pointed out, it’s overpriced for what it is. If you can stretch your budget there are great options from Garmin, Casio and Samsung. But if it’s within 15k, I’d recommend the Verge followed by the GT Sport at 16k. If you didn’t mind charging your watch every night, blindly go for the Ticwatch E at 11k; you won’t regret it. All the best!

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2019 at 00:08. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 6th May 2019, 06:10   #289
BHPian

Adding my 2c on this topic.

Have been using a fitness tracker for ~2 years now. Started with the Mi Band 2 and used it until the display almost became impossible to read. Next upgrade, started looking for something with a color display (looks cool, right) and switched to a Myntra Blink Go band, which served its purpose (but with a pathetic companion app and no support whatsoever). After the strap broke, was left helpless, coz there were no options to buy the strap.

Thus had to switch, and decided to go for a smartwatch this time around. Honestly, I did not "need" any smartwatch features, but why not. My primary requirements were accurate step counting and good battery life. Good looks, sleep tracking and GPS support were nice-to-haves. Narrowed down to the Honor Watch Magic, but the prices in India were too high. On AliExpress one can get it for around 210 USD.

In the meanwhile, got a Huawei Watch GT for my dad (more for the looks and his requirement) and just fell in love with it. While a little large, the classic version that I got was just too cool and everyone went wow. Further, the batterly life on this seemed incredible. Dad indicated that the watch should easily last for 2 weeks at least, which is quite remarkable for such a large and lovely display. Unfortunately, could not convince myself to spend 15K on a fitness tracker in smartwatch clothing. So just kept waiting.

Then Huawei launched the P30 Pro and started offering the Watch GT Sport for 2K as a package. I knew this was my opportunity, with a lot of these soon to come on OLX/Quikr for resale. And soon I found a seller posting an unopened package for 11K, bargained for 9.5K (perhaps was too desperate to get one, else could have had it for cheaper). And now have the Watch GT Sport.

Initial impression are WOW, but need to spend time to get used to it. Also not as light or discrete as a fitness band so need to get used to the bulk too. That said it is amongst the slimmest ones (with perhaps the Honor Watch Magic being the best around).

So if you are indeed looking at the Watch GT (and you are okay with the Sport version and not the Classic), please scout the online marketplaces and you should find one priced very reasonably.

All the best.

Last edited by sachinayak : 6th May 2019 at 06:12. Reason: Added note on battery life.
Old 6th May 2019, 20:20   #290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Then Huawei launched the P30 Pro and started offering the Watch GT Sport for 2K as a package.
The watch indeed looks good. Will look at reviews. Some did not see something coming from the house of Huawei. I have been with Garmin for some time now. But good to have options.
Old 18th July 2019, 14:13   #291
BHPian

Got myself th Amazfit Bip Lite from Amazon a day ago. The issue I'm facing is that the Mi Fit app is not allowing me to log in - with my Mi account nor Google!! It keeps sending me back to the login page. I'm using the OnePlus 6 phone.

I'm stuck even before switching on my new smartwatch! Help!
Old 5th August 2019, 19:15   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Portronics Yogg which was lying unused. I thought I'd try to check my sleep pattern with it. It worked for one day, but 4 days now it shows 0 sleep (on the app). Any idea what could be wrong ? The app looks to be picking up other data like steps, distance & KCal burnt. The phone is a Redmi 3.
Old 6th August 2019, 14:08   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The watch indeed looks good. Will look at reviews. Some did not see something coming from the house of Huawei. I have been with Garmin for some time now. But good to have options.
Ive been on Garmin Vivoactive 3 for over a year now, moved from Mi and Huawei before this, and both the earlier instance of Chinese bands the hardware was good but the software integration left much to be desired. This is not the case with Garmin (Not sure about FitBit).

Love the Intensity minutes, RHR and Vo2Max metrics which i usually track closely as i want my RHR to be at 40 and Vo2Max to be 50+

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-screenshot_20190408103041.png

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-screenshot_20190602160548.png

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-screenshot_20190707201317.png
Old 7th August 2019, 09:16   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Ive been on Garmin Vivoactive 3 for over a year now, moved from Mi and Huawei before this, and both the earlier instance of Chinese bands the hardware was good but the software integration left much to be desired. This is not the case with Garmin (Not sure about FitBit).

Same for me too. Been on Vivoactive 3 for similar periods. I like the over all feel of the gadget. Its not like the Fenix-5 range, but does the job well and more over looks like a watch!
Old 7th August 2019, 10:09   #295
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone read this, this is an eye opener for many.

https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/ex...133124215.html

Some important sections

About resting heart rate

“The cool thing about resting heart rate is that it’s a really informative metric in terms of lifestyle, health, and fitness as a whole,” says Scott McLean, Fitbit’s principal R&D scientist.

For one thing — sorry, but we have to go here — the data suggests that a high resting heart rate (RHR) is a strong predictor of early death. According to the Copenhagen Heart Study, for example, you’re twice as likely to die from heart problems if your RHR is 80, compared with someone whose RHR is below 50. And three times as likely to die if your RHR is over 90.

Studies have found a link between RHR and diabetes, too. “In China, 100,000 individuals were followed for four years,” says Hulya Emir-Farinas, Fitbit’s director of data science. “For every 10 beats per minute increase in resting heart rate, the risk of developing diabetes later in life was 23 percent higher.”

So what’s a good RHR? “The lower the better. It really is that simple,” she says.

Your RHR is probably between 60 and 100 beats a minute. If it’s outside of that range, you should see a doctor. There could be something wrong.

(The exception: If you’re a trained athlete, a normal RHR can be around 40 beats a minute. If you’re Usain Bolt, it’s 33.)

Physical Activity: Quantity

It’s not news that getting exercise is good for your heart. (The American Heart Association recommends that adults get 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous active minutes a week.)

What is surprising, though, is that the benefit tapers off after a couple hundred minutes of exercise.

“That’s good news — you don’t have to work out every minute of every day to continue to get more benefit,” says McLean. “After 200 to 300 minutes per week, you don’t see much of a change in resting heart rate or a benefit. I don’t have to do 500 minutes, I can do half that. That’s achievable.”

Sleep

Sleeping is good for you — but only to a point. Too much sleep might actually be bad for you.

That sweet spot is not 8 hours of sleep a night — it’s 7.25 hours. In terms of heart health, that’s the number you should be going for. “Which is good news for busy people,” says McLean.

Ive been able to get my RHR till higher 40's and lower 50's levels.

The Fitness Band / Smartwatch Thread-screenshot_20190806135727.png

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th August 2019 at 10:33.
Old 7th August 2019, 21:03   #296
BANNED

Looking for a big digit display digital watch that's clutter free and sweat proof.

Disclosure : have Garmin vivoactive.
Old 11th August 2019, 22:46   #297

I have a Xiaomi Mi Band 3 with a broken strap, could anybody kindly suggest where to buy the original replacement strap from, cannot seem to find it online.
Also, if there are any third party alternatives, suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Old 12th August 2019, 11:34   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishganguly View Post
I have a Xiaomi Mi Band 3 with a broken strap, could anybody kindly suggest where to buy the original replacement strap from, cannot seem to find it online.
Also, if there are any third party alternatives, suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I had ordered for replacement straps from Aliexpress for my Mi Band HRX edition. They took some 3 weeks to arrive but the quality was good and the price was unbeatable (around INR 60 per band).

For reference - Link for Mi Band 3 strap

Last edited by praveen789 : 12th August 2019 at 11:37.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:52   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I had ordered for replacement straps from Aliexpress for my Mi Band HRX edition. They took some 3 weeks to arrive but the quality was good and the price was unbeatable (around INR 60 per band).

For reference - Link for Mi Band 3 strap
Thank you very much for the suggestion, going for the one suggested, a long wait ensues now..
Old 13th August 2019, 12:02   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishganguly View Post
Thank you very much for the suggestion, going for the one suggested, a long wait ensues now..
I hope you have ordered for more than 1 as a back up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks